[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm indecisive. Tell me what distro to install on my newish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: deb vs rpm.png (20 KB, 300x173) Image search: [Google]
deb vs rpm.png
20 KB, 300x173
I'm indecisive. Tell me what distro to install on my newish T-series chinkpad.

I've dabbled with ubuntu, debian, mint, and suse, but didn't fall in love with any of them.Mint was pretty good for simplicity and usability; suse was decent because it was so usable upon startup.

I've got 12gb of ram and a mid-tier i5 so it need not be super light, but I wouldn't mind better battery life than on windows if possible.

I'm a cs undergrad and about to start some more involved programming, if that means anything. I have no idea if there are any distros that are recommended over another for coding.

wat do?
>>
>>54367477
Gentoo is nice. So is Fedora and Lubuntu or Kubuntu
>>
>>54367502
I was tempted by gentoo but wonder if it is worth the hassle of maintaining for a "business/school" laptop.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-05-03_12-23-58.png (629 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-05-03_12-23-58.png
629 KB, 1600x900
>>54367477
I'm running Debian on both my Thinkpad and desktop. "Unstable" on the former, "Testing" on the latter. I'm really happy with it, it's a beautiful distro. It's extremely reliable and built on a rock solid base (Stable). You have the option to enable the 'contrib' and 'non-free' sources for more software/driver options, or just leave it as it is for 100% pure free software on the main repositories.
>>
>>54367939
>>54367477
And I just noticed you said you dabbled with debian but didn't like it. Nevermind my post then, I just went by your image.
>>
>>54367634
You've got it backwards.

In my experience, Ubuntu is easy to set up and a bitch to maintain. And gentoo is hard to set up buy trivial to maintain.

But! If you promise you're only going to do very simple things on your computer then just go with fedora or whatever
>>
>>54367477
manjaro
>>
File: 1462326429342.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1462326429342.png
97 KB, 1366x768
>>54368091
>>
>>54367955
I really didn't spend enough time with it to know how I really felt about it because I was having problems with a driver for my network adapter, but that was with an older t61 I was playing with.
I might try it again on my main laptop.
>>
File: >manjaro.png (65 KB, 875x537) Image search: [Google]
>manjaro.png
65 KB, 875x537
>>54368099
>>
>>54368127
You should, it's great. But then again I'm biased because I feel really at home with it.

I recommend you do a netinstall while plugged to an ethernet chord, just in case your wi-fi needs non-free drivers

If asked during install to get certain non-free drivers for your network adapter, you can either
>get them from the Debian repos in another computer by googling them, putting them on an USB, and sticking them in before continuing with install
>just continue with the install and get them from the Debian repos on the fresh machine.

Either way, it'll just werk.
>>
>>54368202
>I recommend you do a netinstall while plugged to an ethernet chord, just in case your wi-fi needs non-free drivers
That seems like a good idea, I did not do that with the old thinkpad, which is probably where I fucked up.
Thanks!
>>
File: 1406914023132.png (835 KB, 1176x1000) Image search: [Google]
1406914023132.png
835 KB, 1176x1000
>>54367477
I use fedora with rpmfusion repos, I think its pretty good.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.