[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Norm Terminology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1462122890667.jpg (38 KB, 637x476) Image search: [Google]
1462122890667.jpg
38 KB, 637x476
Hey /g/, what wrong with calling someone a >coder
What other terms that just rub you the wrong way that is used in the norm
>>
> coder
>>
someone being offended about being called a coder is a sign that they are a poser
>>
Whenever anyone calls a random tablet an 'iPad' I want to beat them with it.
>inb4 you won't
Of course I won't I'm a massive fucking pussy that gets upset over trivial nonsense.
>>
>>54367148
app
calling everything an app
an installer? nope, it's an app
a self-extracting zip? nope, it's an app
a desktop executable you just compiled? nope, it's an app
>>
>>54368335
>>54368368
This
>>
>>54367148
Writing code is the absolute least important part of developing software. Calling someone a "coder" means that they are a no-talent scrub, a glorified speach-to-text suite, no better than your average Pajeet.

Software engineering isn't about writing code. It's about deciding what code to write: it's about understanding what needs to be done and how to do it. To implement these ideas, we write code, but that part is trivial. Writing the code is what you do to unwind after arguing over how to design your system.
>>
>>54368368
App is short for application which in turn means executable computer code so it's actually correct to use 'app' in all of your examples.
>>
>>54367148
ppl who call everything related to computers 'hacking'

anon my icons are too big, how do i hack it to look right?

hey anon, help me get back at this hacker norton

there's a reason i leave my revolver in a gun safe.
>>
>>54368712
I started to call all desktop applications snapps. I know that they are not all snap packages but I hope it will catch on when snap becomes more popular
>>
>>54367148
There's nothing wrong with coder. /g/ is full of angsty contrarians and insecure manbabies who want to be known as programmers proper ™.
>>
I'm not really offended by it, but it certainly isn't a great term. You're reducing the process of creating software to the physical act of typing in characters, which is degrading but more importantly it causes confusion about what we actually do. It would be like calling a chemist a mixologist.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.