[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best way possible to wipe a USB drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (125 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
125 KB, 512x512
So, I have this sweet 64gb USB 3.0 drive,
and for some reason the edgier side of me really wanted to turn it into an 3L1T3 H4X0R device, so I formatted it and made it a Live bootable version of Kali.
But now my incompetence has caught up with me and I actually need a storage device I can use and access with Windows. What's the best course of action for erasing all data on the thing without harming it?
>>
Reformat it.
>>
format it?
I don't know what you mean by harming it
>>
>>54365644
I just figured that some methods of wiping data might not be optimized for electronic storage devices, considering they have a limited number of writes and all
but I'm a fucking noob so that's why in asking for advice
>>
>>54365701
The most writes I've seen so far in terms of wiping will write over the data 35 times. Most flash drives guarantee at least 100,000 writes.
>>
>>54365626
dd
>>
>>54365626
Use Rufus. It will delete all existing partitions and put the usual Windows-friendly layout of one big partition over the whole device. It can be used to fix messes where Windows sees your 64 GB drive as 1 GB and reformatting doesn't help.
>>
>>54365626
write 0's on its entirety.
>>
>>54365830
>>54365943
Thank you for the input my dudes
>>
>>54365626
>wipe
Use a damp, lint-free cloth.
>>
shred -vzu -n 9001 <target>
shred - overwrite a file to hide its contents, and optionally delete it
v: verbose z:zero on final pass u:delete when done -n 9001 over 9000 writes instead of default 3
>>
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/*
>>
If you want to do it in Windows, diskpart clean all
>>
>It's a pedophile thread
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.