[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"don't fall for CS, it's a meme" >chooses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: fit_life.png (89 KB, 1403x286) Image search: [Google]
fit_life.png
89 KB, 1403x286
>"don't fall for CS, it's a meme"
>chooses another branch of engineering
>5 years later, I graduate from my master
>go to PhD for the lulz
>my CS friend got practical skills
>their own mailserver. They seem to do fun projects.

How can I catch up the lost years by doing simple stuff on my own?
I take sysadmin " classes " on the internet and bought a raspberry pi 1 for a beer.
>>
>>54354241
>I followed 4chan on life advice for years

Ingest cyanide
>>
You got a doctorate for the lulz?
>>
>>54354241
Get rekt, faggot
>>
>>54354257
>You got a doctorate for the lulz?
PhD = Playa Hater Degree
>>
File: 1462168139806.jpg (109 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
1462168139806.jpg
109 KB, 600x599
>>54354241
>another branch of engineering
what one
i hope you don't think cs and system administration are engineering
>their own mailserver. They seem to do fun projects.
if mailservers sound like fun and you decided to pass on cs, you deserve neither success nor fun.
>>
>>54354254
>Ingest cyanide

just say kys this isn't reddit.
>>
>>54354315
>not being creative
>>
>>54354257
I couldn't find the perfect job so instead of settling for whatever I can get accepted at, I decided to go for PhD instead, so I can call myself Dr. Anon in 3 years.

>>54354296
Sounds like a fun hobby, for the rainy days or winter when it's too cold to go outside.

I cannot get why all the ">tfw I felt for the CS meme" anons get butthurt when I genuinely take interest in their field.
>>
>>54354241
What branch of engineering?
>>
>>54354241
>How can I catch up the lost years by doing simple stuff on my own?

You didn't lose much. I'm a CS student and doing stuff next to uni work, but these things are rarely correlated. Just set yourself a goal, and achieve it. May it be a mailserver or a website or some kind of piece of hardware you want to build. It's not that we build that stuff for a specific advantage, we just like building stuff.
>>
>>54354455
Subfield of robotic

>>54354483
That's the process I want to follow to learn some practical skills. But I am afraid that I'll fall for all the traps since I don't know the basis (and I feel like CS guys are taught about these in uni).
For example, I wouldn't ever had suspected buffer overflow attacks should I hadn't took a class in college to learn C.
>>
>>54354555
Embrace the traps, and learn from them. All the stuff I'm building has flaws, and when I rebuild it, it loses that flaws and others show up until I consider it perfect.
>>
>>54354257
That's generally how it goes if you don't really NEED the doctorate.
>>
>>54354555
>Subfield of robotics
So computer engineering then? You probably learnt a hell of a lot more than they did at uni. Most CS courses are full theory with relatively little practical stuff.
If you're worried about not having learnt what they've learnt check this:
http://blog.agupieware.com/2014/06/online-learning-intensive-bachelors.html?m=1
CS students know know roughly a third of the material from intermediate and advanced and 90% of everything prior.
>>
>>54354640
Do you find the flaws by yourself or do you respond to attacks by intruders?
What kind of stuff are you building, out of curiosity?

>>54354650
Well, isn't a PhD better than 3years experience in a job you don't like?
>>
>>54354695
Yeah, I use computers. But the "real stuff" I get to do is programming in C and using libraries for RT linux. Unfortunately, I have to focus on experimental results, not on fucking up with the machines to learn more about them.
If I "break" something, other lab members are going to complain.
And all the motors, servo, sensors... are too expensive for me to build my own playground to fuck with.
>>
>>54354695
Oh, and thanks for the link. I am using somewhat similar resources and I think Ill continue on this path,
>>
>>54354713

Just so you don't think I'm on your level or anything: I'm only a 21 years old student, you probably know a lot more stuff than me.

>Do you find the flaws by yourself or do you respond to attacks by intruders?
Intruders are not a problem at all. If they were, a ton of companies (including the one I work at) would die a horrible, horrible death because the systems aren't as safe as they appear. I only once had a dude present a minor flaw in a page I wrote in a week while sleep deprived or drunken. And that only happened after the page hit frontpage of reddit, causing a ton of people seeing it.
So no, intruders aren't a problem. The flaws are found by myself, usually. I simply notice things that are going well and things that don't. Then I improve them. One of the perks of doing that stuff for yourself and not for money is that you can simply rebuild whatever thing you aren't happy with.

>What kind of stuff are you building, out of curiosity?
Ouh, currently I'm building my own smarthome system, that's been a "dream" for me since about two years. To be specific, it consists of custom hardware (boards based on the ESP8266), an Arch server and a website to control things. The "hardest" part was to start to get into new stuff (didn't have any electronics / PCB experience), because of the first stage of competence. But once you realize what you want and need, it's easy.
>>
>>54354862
Cool stuff.
>>
I majored in math, about to graduate this summer, only in the last few months I kinda wished I focused on CS but I did math to leave doors open for a career in finance as well. What the fuck do I do now? I have nothing of value.
>>
>>54354713
>attacks by intruders

I was running a web server and ircd on a home box and the attacks you get are brute force attempts at logins.

Fail2ban takes care of those pretty quickly. But if you check the log you see dozens of attempts.

For security it's a good idea to build a box at home and then challenge people to gain access. I was talking to a pentesting expert on irc and he gained root access from a jailed user account really quickly. Makes you start from scratch. Grsec hardened kernel, better management of permissions. I mean he showed me a few things and there's lots you can do. For example, on his web server he limits what file types visitors are even allowed to open, and stuff like that. You can spend years learning just security.

So it's all about what you want to do. What you want to build.
>>
>>54354650
>NEEDing a doctorate
Is this in any stem field in any country? Where I live PhD's are really for the lulz and affinity to research, "make the world better" kinda stuff

In medicine and social studies you're going to need that doctorate though
>>
>>54356884
It's impossible to get a math job (as opposed to a non-math job) with a math degree lesser than a PhD, and it's really hard to get a physics job with a physics degree less than a PhD, for example.
>>
>>54357444
I dunno man I never really heard this... Like 80% of our math MSc with any knowledge of statistics or ML get snatched by banks/consultants/data science before they even graduate afaik
Physics a bit likewise, but depends a bit more on choosing a research-oriented (Elementary physics, Quantum physics) or job-oriented (Solar Energy Technology).
Control Science has had the highest employability rate in the country for years.

Most of the PhD students in my faculty are even foreign, likely because in the end the 50k euros starting jobs are much more attractive than what the uni's going to pay.
>>
>phd
>takes sysadmin classes

the fuck are you doing?
sysadmins are glorified janitors, you don't even need a BSc for that shit
>>
>>54354421
what kind of doctoral program lasts only 3 years?
>>
>>54357670
>math msc can be janitors therefore you don't need a phd to get a math job
ok kid
>>
>>54357735
Most doctoral programs are "at least 3 years" so idiots who ruined their lives believe this means it will take them less than 5 years to complete.
>>
>>54357702
It's always useful to have directly applicable and basic maintainance skills.
>>
>>54359146
(You)
>>
>>54354483
Not tech related, but that's the same reason I started studying botanic two years ago. I was always obsessed with plants, but the plant that hooked me the most are orchids. I love them since I got my first one at age 10.
So last year I said fuck it and builded my own greenhouse, to finally give the 50+ orchids I had in my flat a new home. I'm currently on the process of inbreeding creating new hybrid orchids. I love my life, I hope you find something that heart filling for yourself op.
>>
>>54359257
Anon-chan, you are aware that plants can't breed with humans, yes?
>>
>>54357768
I don't really see what your goal is here, the jobs I mentioned are generally in the highest 5% non-exec non-entrepreneur positions
>>
>>54357781
There are people who can do it Anon.
>>
>>54359257
I bet that was an immensely satisfying project

>>54355011
math is pretty useful anon, chances are you have a better grasp on CS math than most of the kids in my program
>>
>>54359587
Yes, with extreme luck, extreme genius and extreme amounts of experience all at once. Any single one being missing or lacking makes it impossible.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.