[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel to Exit Mobile SoC Business
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: imatewindows8phone.jpg (36 KB, 620x391) Image search: [Google]
imatewindows8phone.jpg
36 KB, 620x391
http://inewstoday.net/2016/05/intel-to-exit-mobile-soc-business/

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GET OUT ARM NORMIES

x86 will always be the masterrace of computing architecture. I don't want to be one of those PPCfags who holds on to a dead architecture for years because a company fucked itself over.
>>
File: atomdoes1.png (88 KB, 957x217) Image search: [Google]
atomdoes1.png
88 KB, 957x217
atom master race reporting in
>>
>>54345407
Wow that sucks. I was really looking forward to their next gen mobile socs.
>>
>>54345407
>x86 will always be the masterrace of computing architecture.

still bloated as fuck.

I never actually used an intel atom phone, does it heat up more than average arm?
>>
>>54345691
It's probably shit but muh x86 programs make it worth it since ARM devs are exclusively lazy phone app makers.
>>
ARM MASTER RACE
>>
>>54345419
Atom got a really bad name because of the netbook fad.
>>
>>54346119
I thought the same, it's really associated with weak, should be called like i3/5/7m
>>
>>54345407
Only phone SOCs
They will still make the other atoms for tablets and other small devices, you retard
>>
>>54345419
>less than 1W power consumption
Wrong
>cheap
Wrong
>>54346133
Intel started selling shitty cut-down mobile CPUs recently wth that name
>>
>>54346183
Some of them are 1W, others are 2W

They're cheap for what they do. Even at $300 they're worth it.
>>
Intel lost. Its downhill from here. All they can do is watch while ARM takes over laptops, destops and eventually servers.
>>
>>54346692
It is possible for ARM architecture to virtualize an x86 subsystem ?
>>
>>54346692
one can only hope

meanwhile windows will die and not be a botnet at the same time
>>
>>54346692
>ARM takes over laptops, destops and eventually servers
Yeah because people want 5000 fucking cores in a desktop. ARM is hitting the single threaded performance limit, and it's shit compared to x86. The only thing the dumb faggots can do now is add moar coars unless they want to turn it into a portable sun.
>>
>>54345691
>its bloated

No its not. You just need a half decent development team to optimise for it. 5man start ups need not apply.
>>
>>54346720
Yes but it will be slow
>>
File: ARM_vs_x86.png (55 KB, 540x594) Image search: [Google]
ARM_vs_x86.png
55 KB, 540x594
I think this is good now AMD can take their place with APUs. They already have 4.5W APUs (ie A10 micro-6700T) but it has a really shitty iGPU. With Zen and polaris coming out soon they can make an ebin x86 SoC for phones that will allow you to play some pc vydia at 720p low settings and use your phone as a PC as well with good hardware acceleration for HEVC/VP9 video playback.

I think atoms were doomed from the start for phones not because of the CPU but because of the GPU. Best intel could do was slap a powervrgpu on their phone atom SoCs for the zenfone 2.

However intel was able to prove that x86 is not only more energy efficient but overall more powerful than ARM architecture. In pic related the zenfone 2 x86 SoC scores 3.8k in multire-core integer and the note 3 ARM SoC only scores 3.5k. That's almost 10% better integer multi-core performance for the same frequency and # of cpu cores.
>>
>>54347415
I dont think AMD is allowed to into smartphones yet. They're still locked out by the Quallcomm deal.
>>
>>54345691
Not unless the code is shitty
>posted from my Zenfone 2 via Clover
>>
>>54346692
it's not going to happen
on desktops and laptops, just look at Windows RT (if you can find it)
enterprise applications that need extreme parallelism are already using SPARC or x86 beowulf clusters, while ARM may be useful for low-power jobs Intel bringing the Xeon into the mobile market will only make it a more attractive option for that segment too

I don't even get why /g/ is collectively welcoming this idea anyway, ARM is a garbage patch-on-patch clusterfuck that only exists because of market entrenchment and low cost just like modern x86, and with the way licensing works, if you think Intel swapping sockets every 5 years is borderline stalinism, just wait until the market is engulfed by a tsunami of proprietary out the ass unupgradeable SoCs with dubious documentation
>>
>>54347689
AMD literally cucked themselves. What were they thinking?
>>
>>54347689

They never had such restrictions. There would have been no way they would've agreed on the deal if something like that was in place.
>>
>>54345407
Rip cheap Chinese tablets
>>
>>54346722

Windows 10 is already on ARM, Apple just started the transition to MacOS on ARM.

If anything windows 10 is the proof of the beginning of the migration and Microsoft just leveled the playing field with Apple

When I'm willing to bet when 16 core ARM processors are the norm they will figure out a way to emulate x86 at tolerable speeds.

And by then it won't matter since ARM is popular now.
>>
They cut atom because i3 will take its place.
>>
>>54345407
Umadbro?

Everything old is new.

There was a time, in the 21st century, when builds of Windows existed non Intel CPUs.

> x86 master race
That's a funny way to spell Alpha master race...
>>
i wonder if they'll still support the embedded market

they made a huge push for that segment. they even bought wind river
>>
>>54348789
Looks like they're abandoning ship and handling x86 to cheap chink companies like rockchip. They will keep flooding the developing market with cheap x86 shit.
>>
>>54347871

It's already happening sempai.

Desktops and laptops are already being replaced by tablets and smartphones.

Only production machines will remain.
>>
>>54348868
declining PC sales because there's no reason to upgrade != PCs being replaced by inferior devices that are garbage by design for anything productive

maybe the conventional desktop form factor will be relegated to workstations only by ever-powerful all in one and laptop solutions, but real computers will not go away
>>
>>54345407
why would you get a shitty atom when you can get an amd jaguar?
>>
>>54348757
Too bad Alpha NT workstations sucked shit though since they spent most of their time running 386 code in an emulator anyway.
>>
>ask arm for license.
please use it. just take it.

>ask intel for x86 license
6 billion shekels.
>>
File: 1459541940707.jpg (20 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
1459541940707.jpg
20 KB, 249x249
When you remember your phone has an Intel processor
>>
>>54348444
itll still be shit due to all the botnet and spyware though.
>>
>>54345407
This is why you don't hire a retarded sjw as CEO.
>>
>>54348444
Windows RT proved to be garbage-tier. You couldn't do anything with it. Developers wouldn't touch it. Apple may try to go ARM with their Macbook Air line, but even normies will complain once things start breaking on their OS.

>>54348679
Possibly, if that can perform well that matches its premium price
>>54348855 seems like the most plausible outcome. We're talking about $50 tablets now and Intel just thinks it deserves more sheckels.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.