[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vim/ general >how many years have you been using? >top
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: logo.png (198 KB, 800x424) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
198 KB, 800x424
/vim/ general

>how many years have you been using?
>top 3 plugins/protips

hardmode: no YCM/NERDtree, those are babby-tier plugins meant for people who haven't read the help files yet.
>>
Why is this not daily programming thread?
>>
>get used to using vi because nano wasn't available on some shit I had to ssh into
>only continue to use it so I don't forget how to use it
>>54344165
because of freetard's autism to fight over what text editor is best
>>
>>54344143
We do not NOT need another general.
Kindly fuck off back to /wdg/ and lrn2ignore.

Also, Emacs masterrace.
>>
File: file.png (66 KB, 713x400) Image search: [Google]
file.png
66 KB, 713x400
>>54344143
Concealing is pretty awesome
>>
>>54344174
yea fuck me because I like to talk about the software that I use the most. anyways:

>fugitive.vim
>fzf plugin
>sexp for clojure work
>>
>>54344143
If your editor has modes you have never felt the inside of a vagina.
>>
>how many years have you been using?
5 years or so.

>top 3 plugins
1. Plugin manager of choice.
2. Syntastic.
3. Lightline.

>top 3 protips
1. Actually doing the vimtutor.
2. Vim has more builtin completion than most people know.
3. If you're new to Vim, spend more time in `:help` than installing plugins.
>>
someone help me understand what a Plugin manager is and how to get one working. I was trying to get Pathogen working but all I get are errors.
>>
Last year I switched to emacs+evil. Been a vim user since like forever.
Man, fuck vimscript.
>>
>>54345826
A plugin managers helps with the installing, updating and/or configuring plugins, usually from Github or vim.org/scripts.

Vundle or vim-plug might be easier to use than Pathogen with git submodules.
>>
>>54344225
>sexp for clojure work
I've been writing Lisp and Clojure in vim for a while and didn't realize this existed. It's amazing!
>>
>>54345944
oh ok so it will keep all my plugins up to date.
I keep having a problem where when I run vim it spits out this error

Error detected while processing /home/eddy/.vimrc:
line 1:
E117: Unknown function: pathogen#infect
E15: Invalid expression: pathogen#infect()
Press ENTER or type command to continue

and the plugin i installed doesn't work
>>
>>54346106
Doesn't seem like you installed Pathogen correctly.

Plugin managers usually have an upgrade function, but it's not automatic (a good thing).
>>
>>54346266
yep I just realized that i didn't have curl so when i tried to use the command they gave me for installation it never was installed now things seem to be working :^)
>>
>>54346296
nice
>>
>>54346106
If that happens on line 1 you either didnt source it properly or didnt install pathogen properly

>>54344143
What's the YCM hate lately? Just works and provides arguments and instant docs for my python stuff, why not use it?
Same for NERDTree, I never really use it as mru/tab completion is much faster if you know your directory structure but why not?
>>
Every now and then a wimtard evolves to Emacs master race user, but nobody has ever heard of Emacs master race user who devolved to a wimtard.
>>
>>54345048
Is there any difference between Airline and Lightline? A part of lightline being you know lighter? Have been using airline but if it has everything then i will switch
>>
>>54346323
>What's the YCM hate lately?
I don't hate it but I don't use it since Exuberant Ctags + Vim Omnicomplete just works. I use Ctags and a Makefile to scan the includes for just the current project to keep things light and fast.

>Same for NERDTree
Vinegar is better

The more you learn Vim, the less plugins you need.
>>
>>54346400
Just craft your own statusline dude.

It's easy and with a few autocommands you can have something that looks better, more minimal & is more informative.

What's up with the powerline and clones conformity?
It's distracting, requires patched fonts, yuck!
>>
File: zfwKHEI.png (992 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
zfwKHEI.png
992 KB, 1366x768
Been using vim for 8 years.

I use Vundle as a package manager.
Supertab is better than vanilla omnicomplete
Syntastic is absolutely necessary.

Protip: gg=G
>>
>>54346400
Sure is.

https://github.com/itchyny/lightline.vim#why-yet-another-clone-of-powerline

I used Airline before, but I prefer how flexible Lightline is, although it comes at the "cost" of having to configure more yourself. Configuration for popular plugins and setups is readily available, though.

https://github.com/timss/vimconf/blob/66b96ff20a01bd26adff85ff458ca098f68d803a/.vimrc#L500

If Airline tickles your fancy and doesn't annoy you, staying with it is fine.
>>
>>54346504
Update ur kernal m8
Gentoo recently set 4.4.6 to stable.
>>
Nano is better
>>
>>54346699
Old screenshot, I'm up to date
>>
Why is this shitty editor shilled so hard?
>>
>>54344143
vim because I couldn't figure out how to save my edits using pico or nano.
>>
>>54344143
>4 years
>surround
>targets
>easymotion

Am I the only one who doesn't use auto completion, like at all? I just never got in the habit of using it.
>>
please stop making generals

also EVIL mode beats vim at its own job, let it die already
>>
>>54346779
You must make six figures to post in this thread
>>
>>54346922
>>
>>54346933
>>>/v/
>>
How to use supertab, if pressing <TAB> inserts tab instead of given suggestions?
>>
>>54344143
Using vim for like 16+ years? I dunno lol

Don't really use plugins unless you count like syntax highlighting and shit, but even then I largely use it for editing shit on remote machines and don't need a whole lot of crazy features, just beautiful simplicity.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.