[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Python3 so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3
File: python-3.png (9 KB, 210x72) Image search: [Google]
python-3.png
9 KB, 210x72
Why is Python3 so shit?
>>
>>54343672
Because you like diddling little boys
>>
>>54343672
What's wrong with it exactly?
>>
>>54343672
>Why is Python so shit?
ftfy
>>
Unicode
>>
>>54343672
Python3 is kind of slow in some cases, but it's alright. No reason to get upset.
>>
[spoiler]print()[/spoiler]
>>
Because it forced changes that no one really wanted causing lack of compatibility with well established libraries and creating endless stackover flow questions asking if someone should learn python 2 or 3.
>>
>>54343672
Because they thought one can compromise between backward compability and fixing issues.
>>
>>54343714
>Unicode
Is this true?

I'm not a pythonista but once I had to duct tape a python script to work with non-latin characters (admittedly on a non-free, non-posix system) and I had to convert back and forth to different encodings to make it work

It worked but it was REALLY ugly and not at all fun.

Still I don't blame Python, Windows sucks because it uses 3 different encodings at the same time and never UTF-8
>>
>>54343672
import faggot
print op is a faggot
>>
>>54343672
python 3 smashed my car's windows with a brick and stabbed my arm several time with a katana
>>
>>54343672
Should i learn Python even if it's shitty?
>>
>>54343697
Python as a language isn't that shitty except for the whole tabbing thing. That's retarded.
>>
>>54344570
Your retarded
>>
>>54344428
doesnt work on python 3
>>
>>54344105
>and never UTF-8
this is not true
>>
>>54344570
>implying indentation is retarted
>>
>>54344544
Python isn't shitty. It's fine. Don't listen to these memers.
>>
>>54344544
Just don't learn Python 3
>>
>>54343672
nice try, zed shaw
>>
File: butte.jpg (43 KB, 512x347) Image search: [Google]
butte.jpg
43 KB, 512x347
>>54343835
>stackover flow
>>
>>54344664
What is the point of learning a deprecated scripting language?
>>
>>54343734
It is a lot faster than python2
>>
>>54344702
so you can pretend to be smart by waving your dick around, having every language tattooed on it like it's going to make it seem any bigger
>>
Because it's a meme language for geeks.
Ruby is for hipsters.
C is for nerds.

JavaScript is for decent individuals.
>>
>learn python 3
Are you guys fucking retarded? There is very little difference. I switched my project and python3 and the only thing I noticed was that
print ' '
is now
print(' ')
>>
>>54344428
>ever importing faggot when there is one behind your keyboard
>>
>>54343672

Because they elected to remove the band aid slowly rather then all at once.
>>
>>54344702
Because you can switch to Py3 in another 10 years when it's ready. Everything is on Py2 though. Py3 has like 80% of everything. Just enough to fuck you over when you need something exotic.
>>
why the fuck does python run slower than ruby:
http://munificent.github.io/wren/performance.html
>>
>>54345273

Because K&R C > ANSI C89

:^)

But honestly, Benchmarks are a difficult thing. Each programming langauge does things slightly different, so depending on the benchmark tasks you will get different results:

>http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/ruby.html

Note that Ruby is 3 x faster for binary-trees, but 6 x slower for pidigits, for whatever that means..
>>
>>54343672
Because Python2 is so good.
>>
>>54344595
>your retarded
Says the person who can't even English.
>>
File: 1427219007557.jpg (27 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1427219007557.jpg
27 KB, 625x626
>>54344767
>>
>>54344800
Underrated
>>
>>54343835
should I learn python 2 or 3? it would be my first language. any other suggestion?
>>
>>54346864
learn Python 3. It's modern and the foreseeable future. Don't learn a legacy, deprecated version if you're starting fresh.
>>
>>54343746
Whats wrong with that. What would be even nicer for python 4 is to add {}'s so it is like every other language.
>>
>>54347280
I'm hoping for this too. But only if it's optional so as to not break compatibility with literally every package.
>>
https://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/prechelt/Biblio/jccpprt_computer2000.pdf

found this looking on google, but it's 16 years old and far of what I can understand. maybe someone can find it interesting
>>
>>54344800
kek
>>
>>54343734
>>54344710
Python3 is really performant using pypy3. Now, if only development on it would keep going...
>>
>>54344646

Python is slow as fuck. Learn something else.
>>
>>54344570
not really, it just makes it universally simple to read and forces good structure.
>>
>>54344738
>being butthurt because other languages weren't designed to be modern and simple to use.
>>
They need a python 4 which is 3 done right, like vista to 7
>>
>>54345273
oh my, how embarrassing
>>
>>54351670
Faster than bash.
It's good enough for scripting.
>>
>>54344570
I really don't see how it is objectively worse than curly, the argument is usually just 'muhh nonstandard delimitations' but what's wrong with it?

You may spend time overlooking/searching for an odd-placed curly brace (end of long lines/badly indentend/below some empty lines) but really you can't miss a level of indentation at the beginning of the line
>>
>>54344570
>he puts his whole program on one line because it looks cool
>>
>>54356852
>You may spend time overlooking/searching for an odd-placed curly brace
any editor will highlight matching braces for you, same as they do for parentheses.
>>
>>54344800
lol
>>
>>54344544
Python is shitty.

Python's Object model sucks. Its lambda is fundamentally broken. Its slow. As of Python3, it allows type annotations, but they doesn't actually __do__ anything. Returning untyped tuples sucks. Oh, and the syntax for tuples sucks. No tail-call optimization. There are different list types, and they're all incompatible.

>>54356852
>>54344628
You've never collaborated with someone who uses an editor that uses different indentations, have you?

IMHO, Python is a joke of a language, and a bad one at that. The only reason its popular is because of its "batteries are included" approach. And that's totally fine. But the language does suck, and shouldn't be used for anything serious.
>>
>>54344664

Good for scipting and prototyping. Also standard python is actually called cython because it interfaces with compiled C easily. So you can write shit in python see it works and then replace the computational parts with C to fix the speed. The libraries are already in C.
>>
>>54357147
retard
>>
>>54346864
Usually people start off with Python, C/C++ or Java.
Though C# is another option as well.
My recommendation is C because it's as low as a high level language can be. Then when you switch to another one it'll be a piece of cake.
I have a friend who started off with Python then C# and when he tried C it took him a while to grasp it. We now have a compiler to turn in by the end of the semester and requires code generation (assembly) and the guy's tearing his dick off cause its nowhere near what he's comfortable with.
>>
>>54357147
I have, but anyone decent at python knows that 1 level is four spaces as per pep8. I have yet to meet the special snowflake that thinks otherwise.

>IMHO, Python is a joke of a language, and a bad one at that. The only reason its popular is because of its "batteries are included" approach. And that's totally fine. But the language does suck, and shouldn't be used for anything serious.
Would you maybe be willing to provide any arguments for this?
I know what's against it in a production or security-critical environment but don't really see how it can be 'bad' for e.,g. science: my entire ML department runs it and it suits everyone's needs really well
>>
>>54357324
I know that Python has some great ML libraries, although I should point out this isn't a linguistic feature.

The library problem is very serious with ML: I feel like the whole field is being held **back** by Python's poor runtime and language. Researchers are terrified to create libraries for any language other than Python because it will be harder to encourage their use. But, as you admitted, production environments don't want to use Python for obvious reasons. So, there's a wealth of ML libraries for Python that aren't really being used to their potential by industry, and industry is creating its own proprietary libraries. It's a mess.
>>
>>54357209
Cython is different from CPython
>>
>>54345662
>K&R C > ANSI C89
mind elaborating on this?
>>
>>54358846
Those libs are used for research generally as opposed to ML used in industry. Runtime is not the major issue there, code readability, low entry and easy translation from theory to code are, which python excels in over the languages used in the industry.

If anything is held back in ML by Python it's the industry, not ML research, and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing
>>
>>54359059

The Ruby Interpreter is written in K&R C, the Python interpreter is written in ANSI C 89.

No big deal, it's more a matter of personal preferences of the inventors than anything else..
>>
>>54343672
nice meme
>>
>>54344614
doesnt work on python*
FTFY
>>
>>54344768
lol this
there's like 2 libraries that are worth using that aren't py3..
>>
>>54343678
kekerino
>>
Because it's python and not a real language.
>>
>>54362885
You probably use a meme language anyway
>>
>>54362950
You probably have down syndrome.
>>
>>54343672
Is it?
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.