[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smartphones that aren't made to become unusable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: shitphones.jpg (35 KB, 466x474) Image search: [Google]
shitphones.jpg
35 KB, 466x474
Greetings. Excuse my faggotery. Are there any smartphones that don't break or die in some way after 1 or 2 years? Not talking about screen breaking, I don't care about that. It's about, for example, the charging jack not becoming unusable or screwed; these kind of obscure bullshitteries that seem to happen to so many phones.
I saw the CAT phones but their processing power is too slow. Looking for something durable and fast.
>Get a case
Yeah, but most still break in some way. Are there any that are meant to not die? (and still have good performance etc.?)
>>
>>54338646
Lenovo K900
>>
Moto e
>>
Try a chink shit general.
>>
>>54338657
Pretty good phone but the headphone jack on mine died after a year and a half
>>
>>54338646
I got a note 3 back when they first came out and it's still going strong in every way. I never upgraded from android 4 though. Any flagship tier phone should last you 3+ years as long as you look after it.

And don't fall for the OS upgrade meme.
>>
>>54338657
>>54338710
Seems to be like what I'm looking for, but I see & read it's half-Chinese with some other kind of processor, and that CyanogenMod and other apps aren't really working for it that well.
>>
>>54338798
I got a North European model of note 3 and it's still running strong. Literally only thing wrong with it is slight fade on the top of the screen where notification bar is. I really think it's because it's a NE model, USA phones are literally designed not to last a month after a two year contract ends.
>>
>>54338646
Most phones that cost more than $100 are better made and won't die in a year or two. Just don't treat them like shit. Or get a case/otterbox.
>>
>>54338646
I've had my current phone since 2014.

I've replaced the battery one time.
I've upgraded the external storage one time.

I have had no reason to change phones. And this is exactly why these "features" are absent from so many of today's phones. Because they prevent the sale of new phones. I'm stuck on Lollipop for the rest of my life, but small trade-off as all the software still does what I need it to do.

Might upgrade to a Note 6 since they're adding external storage back to it, but even that is iffy with no removable battery.
>>
>>54338646
I have my s5 for 2 years now. Didn't have a single problem since I bought it and 6.0.1 is available through through CM13. Pretty gud.
>>
>>54338646
Co-ordination
You should try it

Many technology heads are un-co that's why they don't play sports
>>
>>54338798
>>54339044
>>54339215

Note 3 confirmed for god-tier.
>>
>>54339215
Truth be told, every phone /g/ shits on for not having a removable battery actually has a removable and replaceable battery. It's just that you can't do it in seconds. Same thing with iPhones. I don't remember the last time I needed to touch my battery. Quick battery replacement is a joke, a spare battery and a charger costs three times more than a 2A 10Ah power pack.
>>
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (unbreakabke)

Samsung Note 4

I have both of these and they both still run great. I've beat the hell out of both of them and they've never broken or cracked. No slowing down at all over 2 years.
>>
>>54338798
>>54339044
>>54339215
Shit, is the note 3 really that good?
>>
>>54339490
Yeah, note 2, 3, and 4 are amazing phones. Note 5 and up went to fragile pieces of shit. But the hardware inside is still good.
>>
What do you think of S5 and LG G2?
>>
>>54339490
It's pretty damn good. I rooted mine back when towelroot.apk first came out and I've installed and uninstalled so much garbage on it it's not funny, and it still runs everything smooth as butter and it's rock stable.
>>
>>54339440
True.

Samsung has just spoiled us. Needing a screwdriver to change the battery on a phone just seems silly to most OG Samsung users I imagine. Certainly to me.

Turns out when I got my Note 3 from eBay the previous owner had swapped in a cheap chink battery that only lasted 2hrs and was starting to swell, so i had to change mine.This probably happens less frequently on sealed phones, but I was thankful for the easiness of swapping the battery, in case another need to do so arose in the future.
>>
>>54338646
Nexus 5X?
Cheap, gets updates, etc.

Battery might get degraded after 2-3 years though.
But hey OP, even a Galaxy S3 or S4 offers a modern performance and runs 99.9% of the Play Store fluent.

And those are some old ass devices.
>>
Still using my galaxy s3 with slimbean 4.2.2. shits tough as fuck. back to the topic, it'd be samsung mid tier and low tier phones. add to that are the flagship phones from s5 and above. why? because its glue based assembly. damn phones are now disposable instead of repairable like the s3 and s4. gonna upgrade to s4 later on though. never used the note series so i dont know about them.
>>
>>54340674
The Note 4 is the latest and last removable battery / sd card phone.
It's not a bad device, if you get the Snapdildo variant, there are many custom roms.

Though I run stock, because of warranty.
And hey, it runs Marshmallow, so who cares, it's fresh.

(The Note 3 also got backported roms and such. Main difference is that the Note 3 comes with a 1080p panel. And a shittier camera.)
>>
Note 3 SM-N900 still going strong since launch. Some dings and dents from no case. No noticable screen degradation. It's even been updated to latest carrier rom. It has been getting sluggish with pictures in the gallery though. Maybe the SD card? It's old. I might wipe and try a custom.

Side question, can this be opened to more bands on the lte? I know the hardware supports band 4 from looking at the spec sheet.
>>
>>54340746
I dont really care about the resolution. desu i'd like the old 1280x720 because of lesser burden to the cpu, hence lesser battery consumption. but no, they insist on putting in more pixels and lesser battery. fucking faggots. one more reason that will make me change phone is when they finally came up with a battery technology than can last for more than 5 days on heavy usage in a single charge. gonna tank it up with hard waterproof casing and there. another survival kit item.
>>
>>54338646
>Are there any smartphones that don't break or die in some way after 1 or 2 years?
Certainly not made within the last 2 years.
>>
>>54341123
Well...
1) You can use Samsung Game Tuner to switch to 720p or less in any games, or apps you wish.
2) The Note 4 with the higher resolution got better battery life than the Note 3 with the 1080p panel.
3) Since the battery is removable, you can use a 10k mAh ZeroLemon battery with it. Or any other battery, you get the idea.

I do enjoy the high resolution... especially since it's no real big burden.
>>
>>54340674
My S3's power button got stuck in, and it rebooted indefinitely. It's apparently a problem with S4's too
>>
>>54341184
But, with that said, I would still just buy a Nexus 5X and a tablet (Galaxy Tab S2, or iPad Air 2), and then you have best of both worlds.
>>
>>54341194
having that currently on my s3. just opened the phone and giddy up the button. seems fine for now but the occasional stuck still happen. oh well, its been 3 years old.
>>
>>54338646
I've had my Iphone 4 since about the time it was released.
>>
>>54338646
> the charging jack not becoming unusable or screwed
Somehow the USB port on my SGS2 cannot transmit any data, but it charges just fine.
>>
File: 1460247236915.jpg (22 KB, 540x521) Image search: [Google]
1460247236915.jpg
22 KB, 540x521
>tfw 5 years ago I was wealthy and healthy
>even had a gf
>had the N73 when the iPhone was new
>bought me a Palm pre, receive 2, lucky me!
>use it for only half a year
>replaced it with a LG Optimus 2X (worlds first dual core smartphone)
>use that one for a year
>get annoyed by LGs and nvidias update schemes
>replace it with a Motorola Droid razr
>neat phone, really nice
>want more screen estate
>buy Galaxy Note 1
>it's awesome
>buy Galaxy Note 2
>it's even better
>sell Note 1, have note 2 now
>buy iPhone 5
>very neat and nice phone, sadly the compass breaks
>I sell the Note 2
>I sell the iPhone
>get shit money for it
>suddenly life turns to shit
>poor as fuck, living at parents again
>no gf
>using a shitty ZTE Open C with Android on it
I wish I never got rid of the Note 2.

It was the best phone I've ever seen, still to date. It's the loudest, quick, xboxhueg battery, absolutely fantastic reception, updates, nice community

just kill me

I want an iPhone now btw.
>>
>>54341339
I'm so sorry you're poor.
>>
>>54341508
To be fair my ZTE Open C was pretty slick with android on it.
>>
>>54341556
Yeah, it's pretty neat that it still has the latest Android (community made), but it's slow as fuuuccckkkk and the camera is utter shit.
it doesn't even have autofocus or a LED. It's utter shit, especially with these phones I had before that.

I'm stuck on this setup for a year now and I'm starting to go insane, because I see no way out of this no money hell anymore.
>>
File: iphone-4-pricing2.jpg (46 KB, 610x344) Image search: [Google]
iphone-4-pricing2.jpg
46 KB, 610x344
>>54341339
My lil' bro also uses my hand-me-down iPhone 4 as his daily driver. He's got no major complaints except of course it goes a bit slower than the 4S. Bear in mind this phone was originally released in 2010.

If OP wants a long lasting phone, definately go iPhone. Here on /g/ you'll only hear stories from people that are dumbfounded when their phone manages to last their entire 24 month contract.
>>
>>54338646
Why don't you just fix it when something breaks?

>>>/whateverboardyoucamefrom/
>>
>>54341613
You sure? Mine was pretty fast with KitKat.
>>
>>54341508
>I want an iPhone

You should leave.
>>
>>54341702
I'll downgrade then.

Threw it against the wall yesterday btw, haven't found the battery and the backcover yet, it's scattered around the floor here somewhere.
>>
>>54338646
HTC phones are pretty durable hardware-wise, although I can't say the same about their software.
>>
>>54339562
LG phones have too many hardware issues. Screens and digitizers go bad on the G2 and G3, and there's the G4 bootloop issue as well.

Look up "G2 digitizer" or "G2 dead zone" there are a zillion hits for the same problem.
>>
>>54341630
People hang onto I phones because they're still kinda cool and hipster-y without looking like the actual poorfag that they are.

A $50 Windowsphone is certainly better than 6yo iPhone, but that doesn't matter.
>>
Still using s3 with 7000mah battery, boeffla kernel(oc'd max). Cm13, 3-4 days of use, runs still smooth
>>
>>54338646
>Are there any smartphones that don't break or die in some way after 1 or 2 years?

Well i have had my galaxy s3 since 2012.

I dont know why youre crying OP.
>>
>>54342445
'mirin

I had boeffla on the Note 2, absolutely stunning DAC + AMP these devices have.

Unreached so far.
>>
>>54338646
Nexus 5, very easy to fix yourself.
>>
>>54338646
My s3 is 2 years 4 months old, still going strong, no port issues.
>>
>>54338646
My HTC 3D EVO lasted 7 years before it finally went to silicon heaven.
>>
>>54343838
typo, 5 years
>>
Lumia 520 + Trident Aegis case + Screen protector. Home screen app for locking & double tap to wake. That way the lock button gets almost no wear. 4 years and still going strong.
>>
>>54338646
my HTC One still works fine. Battery holds more than a day.
>>
>>54338646
If a phone sucks, it's usually the software not the hardware. Find a phone which has great community ROM support (not some Indian compiling in his designated street). My Nexus S is from what, 2011? Still works like a charm. You don't actually need 6GB RAM, you just need a fairly modern OS without planned obsolescence.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.