[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to run a file server on my regular pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1454103445179.png (12 KB, 380x247) Image search: [Google]
1454103445179.png
12 KB, 380x247
What's the best way to run a file server on my regular pc with windows on it.
>>
>>54328612
Virtual Machine with either BSD or XPEnology if you are retarded.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>54328665
Is a virtual machine really the best way to go, won't that take up a lot of resources?
>>
>running a desktop OS on a server
>>
>>54328685
of course its not the best way to go, why the fuck would you even consider that?

just share the fucking folders you want to share.

the fact you are trying to run a 'file server' on your 'regular pc' reeks of fucking high schooler trying to look cool.

the os doesnt matter, use whatever you want
>>
>>54328762
>the os doesnt matter
Show me how to get a 'file server' working on TempleOS
>>
>>54328786
fuck if i know i dont use garbage like that. windows works fine was the point. i use server 2012 and freenas
>>
Remote Desktop Gateway to share explorer access, or FTP
>>
>>54328612
1. remove firewall
2. open all ports
3. remove login password
4. ???
5. you can get your files from anywhere
>>
>>54328685
Same guy you quoted.

It's the easiest way you can just forward the ports and you're gucci.

You can even get a shitty USB to ethernet adaptor for better performance( if you do set the vm ethernet adaptor to it).

Otherwise you're better off getting a NAS and going fuckall.
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>>54328899
>Running a file server in a VM on a non bare-metal hypervisor, with a fucking usb ethernet adapter of all things.

You are a fucking moron.
>>
>>54328899
Oh and as for the resource part.
You can literally only alocate a single core/thread to it and 512 mb of ram the objective here is to setup the easiest to mantain server where you just staticly link folders on your host PC to it and make it public via the VM.
>>
>>54328938
I never said it was the perfect solution.
It's A solution I don't see you sudgesting anything better.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.