[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You Choose for me /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: youchooseG.png (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
youchooseG.png
11 KB, 225x225
I am in desperate need for a new distribution, can not stand windows meme.
Hurry before I kill my self.
>>
just install ubuntu like everyone else that doesn't know what they're doing when they get into *nix
>>
>>54325311
Ubuntu => botnet
No thanks man
>>
you know best what is for you.
step one:
find the updating schedule you are comfortable with.
Like how often do you want to deal with updates?
Every day?
Every month?
Every six months?
Every couple of years?

step two:
Figure out what you expect from your package manager.
Should it enable services and write the configs as it installs or would you rather do those things yourself?

step two:
find the type of DE you think you want?
Lightweight where only the basic things are provided and you implement the rest you need or something where a lot of things is implemented and you pick and choose between what is available?

It takes a lot of trial and error and usually you come across something that fits your needs.

Ubuntu is a good starting place for most people.
It has a new release every 6 months and a stable release every 2 years.
Updating usually breaks everything, so people often just installs it all over again but you can learn to fix it so you won't have to do that.
Other popular distros are debian, fedora, opensuse and arch.

As for desktop environments, you should know what you want, but if you don't have a clue, try the different ones out and see what you think.
KDE has a lot of features and if you like graphical settings, that is probably the best DE for you.
Gnome is more focused on polish, if you want something pretty that is probably really good for you.
Mate and Xfce doesn't use as much resources and the changes happen a lot slower.
You could also build your own, but then it is important to correct people that you are using a WM, and not a DE because you are using an arbitrary subset.
Unity is the default on ubuntu which did have an online search feature, but since everyone disabled that, I wouldn't call it a botnet.
It is a bad DE for a slew of other reasons, so unless you really want to use that, just pick something else.
>>
>>54325673
>two step twos.
fuck me
>>
File: 1341170244225.jpg (25 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1341170244225.jpg
25 KB, 569x428
>>54325292
New version of gparted just released.
>>
>>54325292
https://devuan.org/os/
or
http://www.slackware.com/
or
https://gentoo.org/
>>
>>54325292
Debian. It just works.
>>
Debian
>>
File: gentoo.jpg (452 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
452 KB, 1920x1080
>>54325292
>>
Just install Ubuntu.
>>
crunchbang if it still existed, but since it doesnt debian.
>>
>>54325292
debian
>>
>>54325292
Debian Testing
>>
File: 1446167230032.gif (649 KB, 263x396) Image search: [Google]
1446167230032.gif
649 KB, 263x396
Fedora
>>
>>54326174
It does still exist, it's called BunsenLabs now.
>>
>>54325327
Use Fedora or Debian if you don't want anything to do with Ubuntu.
>>
File: wewlud.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wewlud.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>54325697
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.