[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battery Rebuilding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 6cell+8cell98601.png (414 KB, 700x302) Image search: [Google]
6cell+8cell98601.png
414 KB, 700x302
My notebook battery died so I looked up what a new one costs and it is fucking expensive. 110€.
I opened it up to see whether I could exchange the cells by myself and it seems to be possible. I could get cells with even better more capacity and replace them. But the pack is not only cells, it also has some electronic for charging or whatever. I found a win32 tool which shows the capacity of the pack, the current capacity, volts etc.
1) can i replace the cells and expect it to just werk?
2) is the capacity of the pack usually hardcoded into the chip or does it calculate it somehow?
3) does someone have expirience doing that?
>>
>>54324997
Get a job instead of leeching your parents basement.
>>
>>54324997

Dip it in water to rehydralize the cells
>>
>>54324997
iirc it calculates basically everything by the voltage of the battery. It isn't like sensors inside the battery pack itself can actually determine anything super precise about anything other than the voltage. With a higher capacity cell, basically the decrease in voltage over time will be less at the same power draw than with a lower capacity cell.
None of what I just wrote made sense to me but I'll keep it.

There may be a chip somewhere that has a stored capacity for the pack (like, in memory) but I don't think that will affect anything in the real world. I say just go for it.

>>54325034
Don't do this.
>>
>>54324997
>1) can i replace the cells and expect it to just werk?
Sometimes, look it up. Some have "protection" to prevent you from doing this.
>2) is the capacity of the pack usually hardcoded into the chip or does it calculate it somehow?
Calculate, since capacity declines over time.
>3) does someone have expirience doing that?
I've only taken them apart myself, not put together with other cells

Also, post in another thread next time.
>>
>>54324997
>1) can i replace the cells and expect it to just werk?
No. Naive disassembly will cause it blow a set of failsafe fuses. Also, running capacity usually ratchets only one way.
>2) is the capacity of the pack usually hardcoded into the chip
Yes. You can change it, but you need specialty, vendor-specific tools.
>3) does someone have expirience doing that?
Yes.
>>
>>54325038
>iirc it calculates basically everything by the voltage of the battery. It isn't like sensors inside the battery pack itself can actually determine anything super precise about anything other than the voltage.
No.
Modern batteries charge count, and are aware of the exact cell, cell vendor, and cell capacity.
>>
>rebuilding batteries

Sounds like a fine as fuck way to start a computer fire.

The chinks do this semi-professionally and it happens all the time. Batteries are like $30 on amazon, so stop being autistic and just get a new one.
>>
>>54325051
>Some have "protection" to prevent you from doing this.
Any decent smart battery monitors all the cells continuously, and if it sees *any* out of spec condition, it will render the battery as inert as possible. It doesn't guess, it just throws the control rods so it doesn't catch on fire and burn down your house. Not because they're trying to Jew you.
>>
Housefire: The Thread
>>
>>54324997
Battery rebuilding is possible, but it's not always possible for the average person.
>>
>>54324997
This might be a good place to start, OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxZDzXv4fnM
>>
>>54324997

yes you can replace the cells and it will 'just werk' totally 100%

try to use the same exact cells though
but im positive the capacity can be higher, as long as voltage is same
>>
You want to make sure the batteries you're installing are the same composition as the ones you are replacing.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion
>>
>>54324997
You can do it yourself but for laptops there are good 3rd party batteries.
Got a 6-cell ThinkPad T400 battery for 28 EUR, holds exactly as much as it says on the package.
>>
>>54326027
>yes you can replace the cells and it will 'just werk' totally 100%
Sigh. No it won't. But at least he won't be wasting anything more than his time. And whatever he spends on the replacement cells.
>>
Op here
ja battery is for a clevo pm150sm notebook. There are no alternatives avaiable.
Getting better cells would even improve my battery life, that would be real nice.

So you guys recommend to not detach them all at once so that the chip never is without power and thus cant detect what im doing?

> hurr durr housefire
Im building batteries for RC models all the time, what can be so different about notebooks?
>>
>>54326842
They're just batteries man, if you have experience putting them together/soldering connectors on rc cars, go for it.
>>
that "electronic" is just there to prevent the batteries from overcharging, you can reuse it with higher capacity cells without issues unless DELL went out of their way to try to prevent it which I sincerely doubt.
>>
This is usually not worth the effort and research it will take to do
If I remember correctly:
I know gookpad batteries have a single use fuse that will burn out once you pull a single cell out making the battery useless

Mixing new and old cells will not work
>>
I dont think it measures all cells sperately because that would require 8 sperate lines from each cell. Thats not the case.
>>
>>54327581
>I dont think it measures all cells sperately
It does. It has to. Allowing one cell to overvoltage during charging _will_ cause a fire.
>because that would require 8 sperate lines from each cell.
wat
>>
>>54325034
Dipping lithium-ion in water is a good way to get fucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
Tripfag go away. Learn battery chemistry while you're at it.
Lithium Ion is totally different from lead-acid.
>>
>>54328004
You can only measure the voltage of each cell sparetly if you make a line to each one sperately
But that's not the case. I have it in front of me.
>>
File: circuit.png (27 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
circuit.png
27 KB, 1152x720
thats how the circuit looks like
>>
You don't sound like you really know what you're doing if you're surprised that there's electronics inside a lithium battery.

Changing the cells yourself is not recommended.
>>
Here:
https://hackaday.io/page/247-replacing-lenovo-laptop-lithium-batteries
Not Dell but I assume more or less that the same technology applies

This is really not worth the effort
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.