[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people keep saying CS degrees are useless? Genuinely curious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1458064692010.jpg (71 KB, 600x656) Image search: [Google]
1458064692010.jpg
71 KB, 600x656
why do people keep saying CS degrees are useless? Genuinely curious if they are right or not because I hear it so much.

I'm not sure how most CS degrees work but i was under the assumption that:

1.) you learn more than what someone would learn on their own and because of this would get a better paying job than just being a code monkey.

2.) Even if you wanted to be a code monkey some places would much prefer someone with a degree.

Am I wrong?

also can anyone think of other potential reasons that a degree in CS is valuable?
>>
CS degrees are not useless. They might be a poor return on investment depending on how much you pay for tuition but you'll come out a better person.
>>
>falling for the CS meme
>>
>>54322317
CS graduates get decent paying jobs. But just like other STEM courses you will have to do shit outside classes to get good at it.
>>
>>54322317
people without a cs degree can learn to code with all the material available online, and find a decent job as code monkey.
The difference is that in a degree learning to code is just a part of it, a lot is logical reasoning and algorithm. That helps a lot in other cases that are more board than be a pajeet.
>>
>>54322317

Your job will be outsourced. It's all going to India and Czech Republic, which are slightly cheaper than the US. In India, they will throw CS people at a problem and it'll be done, in Czech, the level of education is higher, so the job will be done by someone who's paid less and does it better than the equiv. American.
>>
I should've studied more.
>>
>>54322317
I didn't take CS but a related degree and I now work for big name tech company just to provide some credential that I have an opinion based on experience.

Some of my best coworkers are the ones who are self taught, but the problem is that they are very rare because it is a difficult path. It is easy for someone to mention on /g/ that you can self learn and move into a high paying job, but in the real world a degree serves a few good purposes that ease the transition from learning to a career.

First of all most degrees I know of have internship/co-op requirements for their students. Not only does this help you gain skills and figure out what industry you might enjoy, but it often leads directly to full time offers and it is exposure you might not have gotten the chance to obtain without the degree path.

Additionally, a lot of government positions, should you decide to go the clearance/contractor route, are paid based on rubric systems and the more boxes you can check with certs/degrees the more money you will get... on flip side if you can't check the degree box you might not make minimum requirements regardless of how good you are.

Finally it gives you time to be a fucking kid and make mistakes and maybe even enjoy life for a bit to shield you from the real world. Regardless of the direction you take though you absolutely need to have projects and/or a portfolio throughout your career but this is most important in the beginning stages.

tl;dr CS is valuable and most of /g/ is comprised of NEET frogposters these days that you should take with a grain of salt. All the people who made this place great in the past are busy making use of their CS degrees.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.