[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone used it? How is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: void_linux.jpg (14 KB, 720x253) Image search: [Google]
void_linux.jpg
14 KB, 720x253
Has anyone used it? How is it?
>>
Yes
Yes
>>
>>54321661
Yes
Shit. Instantly trashed, that's where hipster garbage belongs
>>
It's pretty shit.
After about a week and a half I went straight back to Arch Linux.
>>
>>54321781
>>54321803
What's bad about it?
>>
Yes
It's not exactly bad when you don't have to talk to the devs. They're bunch of dicks
>>
>>54321661
>Has anyone used it? How is it?
Yes. Fine, but I don't know why you'd use it. xbps doesn't seem to offer anything above standard affair for a package manager. Using runit instead of systemd is interesting, but doesn't seem to offer benefits beyond being able rant about systemd with slightly more credibility. Using musl is cool too.

But I'm not going to use something just for the sake of being different.
>>
I used it and I loved it. But I'm back on Debian and I'll tell you why.

The community isn't very helpful. You'd imagine that void users/devs would want more people to use it so more packages get built, better documentation gets written, etc. But sadly it's full of users who want to be different and who think that entry into Linux should be hard as if it was some esoteric operating system reserved for the chosen ones.

The packages that are available are rarely updated and there isn't a large selection. This means you have to build most of your packages yourself, akin to the Slackware pkgbuild scripts.

I'm not 14-15 any more and I don't have loads of free time to compile my own packages, sort out dependencies by hand, troubleshoot problems, spend hours on the irc just to get a package that is available as a .deb on the Debian repos.

It's a great distro if you have time. But if you just want a distro that works then void is not for you.

Systemd, I don't like what it is, buy honestly I don't care enough to care. My computer (debian) works, I can browse the net, edit/write docs, listen to music, watch movies, do a bit of coding here and there, play a video game or two and not worry about any of it breaking. I can install/update with apt-get and it's perfect for me.

It all comes down to what you want/need.
>>
>>54322006
>They're bunch of dicks
99% of all devs are insufferable dicks.

I've used void before, I didn't have any problems with it except it was lacking some packages I needed and I didn't feel like compiling or maintaining them manually.
>>
Yes
It's like Arch Linux but shittier, but atleast it lets me use openrc without complete dependency issues that make xorg uninstallable
>>
>>54321661
I've used it.

Fucking awful package manager
>>
>>54321915
See? The Arch goyim can't even tell you what's bad about it.

The devs are cancer though, that is true. Don't go to the IRC.

Runit is the fastest init ever, xpbs feels more mature than pacman, and musl is cool.

About the packages in the repos:
I do not second what >>54322268 said.
everything I needed was in the repo.
And the community is growing, so if that's not true for you right now, I'm sure it will be soon!
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.