[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is software engineering a dumbed-down version of CS for people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: FB_IMG_1452097110149.jpg (43 KB, 494x442) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452097110149.jpg
43 KB, 494x442
Is software engineering a dumbed-down version of CS for people who couldn't into math or theory?
>>
>>54319925
Yep. I always make websites with MATH AND THEORY.
>>
>>54319925
I don't think so. I took Computer Science, but there's definitely more than enough practical content that's not taught in a CS degree that could make SE a different and useful field. Science vs Engineering

You'll get a smattering of either in either, I'm sure.
>>
>>54319954
you don't need a CS degree to be a code monkey
>>
>>54319961
But you do need to be a code monkey, preferably without a CS degree, if you want a job.
>>
File: google.png (401 KB, 1080x1200) Image search: [Google]
google.png
401 KB, 1080x1200
>>54319969
>>
>>54319986
Alright. You can try to find a job at Google while I find a job everywhere else.
>>
>>54319925
Are you really this insecure about your degree and the knowledge it brings you?

Any CE student can, if needs be, learn the theory for hs dream job, just like you could easily unfuck your physics knowledge and learn stuff like microarchitecture design in detail if you wanted to work at, say, Nvidia or Intel.
>>
>>54320101
CE is a cool degree, but what about SE?
>>
>>54320113
There's lots of knowledge that neither of the CS or CE crowd get when it comes to pure coding so I guess you could totally make a degree with valuable skills not taught anwhere else for the most part.
Whether they actually do that or simply train web dev monkeys, that's for another topic (but really, the monkey business is prevalent even in the CS and CE fields).
>>
File: xT1XGCGtZatV8mIuIw.gif (2 MB, 197x182) Image search: [Google]
xT1XGCGtZatV8mIuIw.gif
2 MB, 197x182
CS - mostly code monkeys, sure, but that is up to the student. At it's heart a CS degree is really fucking high level stuff and interesting if you actually use what they teach you.

SE - engineering applied to software development. If ypu really want to be in the shit and get paid for it this is the one. You will wind up as a manager with skills regarding project management and software prototyping/lifecycle. Plus a lot of the useful CS stuff (algorithms)

God tier - BS in CS with a masters in SE.

In the end just get a degree that is somewhat tech related and build whatever you like in your free time. Take the first tech job you get that isn't help desk then actually start your career 2-3 years later when you have choosing power.

With a quick job search you can find a ton of interesting underpaid startups in places like Oregon where the work culture is lax and probably enjoyable enough. Go hiking, try weed, get your name on some work you can be proud of and keep moving. If you stay somewhere more than a few years you will be underpaid.

Also learn to laugh at pic related in the workplace.
>>
>>54319925

In most universities there is virtually no difference between what is taught in SE and CS until the final few semesters.
>>
>>54319954
>websites
Cool Ruby artisanship you got there
>>
>>54319925
>software engineering
programming
>>
it's CS for people who want a job
>>
>>54320722
Software engineering is about the whole life-cycle of the application.
At my university we have the same courses as the CS students but we work just like the EE and ME students when doing our projects.
I agree that it's engineering in the traditional sense but it's very related to it.
>>
It is different fields.

A software engineer is someone who applies proven theories and combine methods to construct something with software.
The motivation is to build something cool.

A computer scientist studies theory and uses it to make new algorithms to solve problems.
The motivation is to improve the understanding of solving problems.

They might work together on the same problem, but they are going to solve it the same way.

you pick the direction you agree with the most and look down on the other and move on with your life
>>
>>54319925
Engineering is more professional, CS is more academic. The people who create the systems to ensure the code used in avionics software, nuclear power plants, space craft, etc, is safe are software engineers, not computer scientists. You often need a P.Eng for work that has to do with human safety and stuff, and its way easier to get a P.Eng with an accredited engineering degree (I think you can get one with a CS degree too but its probably more difficult -- and at that point I'd say you're a software engineer, not a CS)

CS people are the researchers who come up with algorithms and work on the theoretical side of things

In reality the majority of CS and SE degree holders do work that overlaps and don't deal with the above extremes. I think SE degree holders have a bit more opportunity to do different kinds of work than CS holders but a couple of internships will narrow that gap pretty quiclky
>>
>>54320733
This is basically it.
>>
File: 1453248789997.jpg (9 KB, 263x192) Image search: [Google]
1453248789997.jpg
9 KB, 263x192
>>54320190
Why not double major or major/minor?
>>
>>54321866
You should probably minor in a humanities subject if you go STEM so
a) You don't end up a fedora sperg
b) You get some tail and have "le college experience"
>>
>>54322757
This
CS Major/Art History minor here

Pure CS or STEM minor is a raging "I am autism incarnate" badge
>>
>>54322757
c) the subject is pretty neat
>>
SE is a specialization track of CS at my university. It's not Ivy league but it's a top 15 school in CS.

Ian Murdock graduated from it.
>>
File: 1382022525133.jpg (26 KB, 331x473) Image search: [Google]
1382022525133.jpg
26 KB, 331x473
>>54325035
>Purdue
My friend who was an underclassmen wants to get in.

What was your resume/grades in shit to get in and how do you like to? I'd like to give him reassurance.
>>
Software eningeer is the life. Such a chill job.
>>
>>54320101
I'm a CE student and software engineering is my dream occupation. In a top 5 for this major and really enjoy the software aspects, but feel understanding what's going on at a lower level is important.
>>
>>54325174
Asians and whites need not apply without perfect grades and elite connections.
>>
Software engineering is about the construction of reliable software.

Computer science is wannabe mathematicians who have a high regard for mathematicians because they know they're not smart enough to get a mathematics degree.
>>
File: herkkujen herkku.jpg (31 KB, 480x408) Image search: [Google]
herkkujen herkku.jpg
31 KB, 480x408
>>54319925
Kaurapuuro is fucking great.
>>
>>54325678
But I'm majoring in both math and CS
>>
>>54325638
3.4 GPA 31 ACT Comp + Extracurriculars 'n AP classes worth enough?
>>
How likely does g think a job at a tiny IT business will drug test
>>
>>54319925
mämmi
>>
>>54319925
Depends. At most institutions SE is far superior because it has to be accreditted while CS is a shitty IT course with a pretty coating.

At any top tier university CS is probably better.
>>
>>54325174
>>54326215

I made it in applying at the deadline in 2012 after having my EA applications deferred from the elites.

4.0 unweighted GPA
34 ACT comp
APs, College credits, and extracurriculars and shit

You should be fine if you apply early. Supposedly it's easier to get in the earlier you apply
>>
>>54320803
>I think you can get one with a CS degree too but its probably more difficult

You actually can't. You can get some applied science/researcher credentials which ABET also accredits, to get a PE your degree needs to specifically have the word "engineering" in it, ABET's documents explicitly say so.

Overall a SE degree is slightly more valuable to you personally in terms of potential, unless you plan on going academic (breaking into CS academia/grad-school will be more difficult), even then SEs have higher earning potential in academia if they can get a PE.

But like you said most people in both degrees work shitty jobs anyways, most SEs never even get to do the type of work that actually requires a PE. Most CS degree holders will become IT monkeys.
>>
>>54325174
It's not hard getting in, but good luck getting an internship with all the prajeets.
>>
>>54319925
CS and SE are like math and physical engineering, you can't have practice without the theory.
>>
>>54319925
Is mechanical engineering a dumbed-down version of physics for people who couldn't into math or theory?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.