[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good book on Python?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cover.jpg (17 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
17 KB, 245x300
I want to learn python because everyone seems to know it and it looks like a comfy language.

Is attached pic a good book on python?

I would like something in the style of K&R.

I don't want anything from the "learn the hard way" series because
>I don't like his writing style, boring and long-winded
>I disagree with his attack on K&R and his opinions which he passes as facts
>I don't want to learn something the hard way, I want to learn it the easiest CORRECT way
>>
What do you want to use it for? Anyway, consider using Anaconda and Sargent's Quant-Econ. The official Python docs are great.

Also, K&R is trash, but so is the "Hard Way" series.
>>
>>54319431
I want to learn Python to replace bash and other scripting languages and experiment with python as a server-side language

K&R is great dude. I wish all books were like that. It's sort and concise but it's so dense, you have to read every paragraph multiple times to take it all in. The chapter on pointers is particularly good. And the exercises are GOAT!
>>
>>54319248
Think Python
>>
>>54319517
Oh, then you probably don't care about scientific computing lol.

On Kernighan and Ritchie... Honestly, I thought King was a much easier read. Sure, King *looks* bloated, but all I really needed was a couple hundred pages -- equivalent to K&R. King's examples are monumentally superior. All the other info contained is a nice bonus.

OTOH, K&R is great workbook. I agree.
>>
>>54319591
>Think Python
Just checked it out, it looks great and exactly the style I'm looking for. Thanks!

Does it cover Python 3 though? I don't want to pick any bad habits from Python 2 when 3 is available
>>
>>54319609
>scientific computing
I do care, but I tend to use Haskell, Fortran, Mathematica and Matlab for scientific computing. I would like to check out R too in the future.

Is Python good for scientific computing?
I'm intrigued.
>>
>>54319684
Python is insanely popular. Plus, unlike R, the syntax isn't cancer and it's useful as general-purpose language.
>>
>>54319657
>Does it cover Python 3 though?
Check out stackoverflow and alike they are the most pythonic places there are ...

>>54319684
Unis use it as babby's first prog lingo since most of the students nowadays are to stupid to enjoy some good'ol java enterprise code.
>>
>>54320462
>java
I don't hate Java, it's useful for a lot of things, but I don't get why unis teach it so much

C and Haskell should be the only languages universities teach, the rest the students can figure on their own
>>
http://python.swaroopch.com/

just learn the fundamentals from there, then write code, read code. python is easy, the power is in its modules, dont waste your time reading a 1000 page book, what are you going to do, remember every aspect of the language or other features? you need to learn how to apply a language to solve your problems, thats what a programmer does, just grasp the basics and write code straight away.

theres no perfect book on a specific language,either, if there were, no one would pay attention to any other book.
>>
>>54319248

How to learn Python the hard way.

Google it it's available as a free PDF
>>
>>54322193
It's for Python 2 and he had mentioned that he doesn't like it.
>>
>>54321359
>python.swaroopch.com

This looks nice

I want a book that doesn't treat programming like a series of magical incantations (like the learn the hard way does) or that every paragraphs bosses me around telling me what I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do (like the learn the hard way does).

This, while beginner friendly, doesn't shy away from advanced data structure topics and it's not long winded.

Thanks!
>>
Berkley offers SICP in python 3
Cs61a
>>
>>54319248

Automate the Boring Stuff with Python is by far the best book for a n00b. It uses Python 3, and it's free.

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/#toc
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.