[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scored one of pic related for free. What can I do with it? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: g5dual.jpg (309 KB, 1072x1060) Image search: [Google]
g5dual.jpg
309 KB, 1072x1060
Scored one of pic related for free. What can I do with it? I'm aware that it's an old system, but what does /g/ think? It's the last G5 made; pretty much maxed out.

Anyone here still using one of these, or other PowerPC based systems?

If the hardware isn't worth using I'll put a modern build inside, because I've always loved that case.
>>
It's a great computer, I don't have the G5 but I have a 2008 Mac Pro

Modern builds are perfect for it, but you can still do some work on it
>>
I got one of those as a seedbox/NFS server. Runs gentoo. Never had a problem
>>
>>54318123
G5 owner here.
I'll summarize my experience on my machine. 2.0ghz DP/4GB/3TB
>linux
absolute shit. There are distos out there, but for some fucking reason none of them ever managed to install properly, and if they ever did, then they just outright refused to boot. I gave up on that real quick
>OSX
Version 10.4.11 will blaze through it, but program support is even more limited. 10.5.6 is the last version it'll handle. Its more bloated but itll run more stuff. Anything beyond 4chan browsing will heavily tax the machine. Youtube vids barely run. It's internals are even worse.
These machines are stuck at either sata 1 or sata 2, and every single part save for the DVD drive and the HDD is proprietary. You won't be able to do any sort of case mods unless you can work metal nicely and hav access to such equipment. Granted, they do make decent servers, they warm your room and generally function well as some sort of unix-based box. programming, basic server tasks and a backup desktop would probably be its best uses.

tl;dr its shit for anything meaningful
>>
>>54318123
cherish it mate, 10 years from now you could sell it for the price of a car
>>
>>54318172
10.5.8 is the last version of OS X for it.
All G5s have SATA 1.
I have no issues booting Linux.
Run TenFourFox as your browser and you'll do okay.
>>
They're such nice cases

Really want to convert one to put my PC build inside it

Anyone done this?
>>
>>54318172
Same here. I had a G4 lampshade as my primary computer for years (after winXP came out - ugh). The first problem was when WOW said it wouldn't support PPC and then the web became unusable. The hardware was awesome, but the world moved on without it. Too bad. I loved that machine. Now I'd no shit, cut the case up and put a PC in it...
>>
>>54318123
Sell it for raw materials.
>>
>>54318123
liked my 2.0DC, they're reasonable as daily drivers but I don't do much relating to streaming media

nowadays I just use an iMac G4 with 10.2 for PPC shit since it's more compact, however

>>54318172
>but program support is even more limited
what
10.4 will support most staple proprietary offerings as well as modern browsers in the form of TenFourFox, with classic mode you also gain access to the huge pre-X software base as well

the G5 may have been a dead end chip but they're still quite decent systems, especially the very last generation
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>54318413
I see failed G5 mods at the recycler more often than I'd like to

Just do yourself a favor and buy a Nehalem Mac Pro that will blow out whatever sad little i3 build you'll half-ass into it anyway instead of destroying one of the fastest and nicest looking desktop RISC systems you can cheaply acquire for some shitty hipster fantasy
>>
>>54318186
I hope so. Right now, mine is serving as a doorstop. I did manage to get all the files off of it before it stopped booting. Still, it's a damned fine looking artifact.
>>
>>54318123
I'd make a modern build inside that case, because meh those Mac Pro cases are just a state of art. Don't throw the hardware tho, keep it or sell it separately, in maybe 10 years it will be worth something as retro gear.
>>
>>54319329
Get that motherfucker fixed and heat your room in the winter with style.

It actually probably always will retain some collector value, they're the very best PPC Macs and with Moore's law as dead as it is they'll probably retain some degree of usefulness for quite a time.
>>
>>54319239
>>54319350

>Nehalem Mac Pro

Those look sweet. I wonder if they take trade-ins.
>>
>>54319373
Would probably get more out of craigslisting the G5 or selling it on a forum or something
>>
>>54319239
With an upgrade to a w3680 (under $150), one of those would be amazing. Can I live with USB2 and Firewire? I think so. All my shit thinks so. I was considering a newish iMac, but you know, I can get a 27" monitor (or better) for this pig and enjoy the $1000 savings on something else. Plus I can dedicate two cores to running FreeBSD in a VM, all in the same box.

Thanks. I didn't even know these existed.
>>
>>54318123
It's a great computer if you have a nuclear power plant otherwise you will pay it's price yearly on the electrical bill
>>
>>54318413
did it without cutting the exterior
>>
File: macpro.jpg (66 KB, 550x743) Image search: [Google]
macpro.jpg
66 KB, 550x743
here's another use
>>
>>54319239
>>54320412
Why the fuck would you buy an old x86 prebuilt on a retarded xeon config though?
G5 is cool cause power pc.
If you just want the case buy the cheapest. No reason to buy a mac pro to actually use unless its powerpc.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.