[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What should I learn first to make a game like slither.io if I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled-1.png (854 KB, 1366x668) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
854 KB, 1366x668
What should I learn first to make a game like slither.io if I don't know anything about programming yet?
>>
>>54313628
how to program
>>
>>54313628
JavaScript, WebGL, C++
>>
>>54313628
Javascript + JQuery, HTML & CSS, WebGL, PHP and MySQL
>>
if you want to eventually work on the game industry, or in software development related job, start by learning programming, and making your own engine and game

for which I recommend to learn Java and use LibGDX framework

>inb4 performance, garbage collection, >Java, go C++, use Unity

at first you don't need to care about performance, just learn how things work

Java is probably one of the most extensively documented languages out there, so any obstacles you find throughout your learning most likely has an answer online

after you make your small game, then you can decide

if programming isn't for you, or you don't want to work as a game/software dev and want this game to be just a one time thing, consider using a already built game engine like Unity, so you can start your game right away
>>
File: 1420500175412.jpg (438 KB, 900x2134) Image search: [Google]
1420500175412.jpg
438 KB, 900x2134
>>54313739
What u just told him is equal to below

>rape a girl you like, then realize its wrong, end up in jail for 20 years then improve yourself and once you're out of jail find someone you like (but everyone knows you were in jail for raping someone, so good luck with that)
>>
File: ujvr5DV.jpg (77 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
ujvr5DV.jpg
77 KB, 500x666
node.js / javascript for developing the backend
javascript / webgl for the front end

Just need a good, simple idea
>>
File: 729918.jpg (171 KB, 704x691) Image search: [Google]
729918.jpg
171 KB, 704x691
>>54313739
I second this. Having written a 2.5D game engine in libgdx myself, it's a good framework. Java makes things easy since there is no pointer fuckery to deal with
>>
>>54313823
>wanna know how to make geimu
>read a book
>wanna know how to make geimu
your suggestion is useless and you're oversimplifying the process to the solution
>>
>>54314039
>no pointer fuckery to deal with
I'm so sick of hearing this shit. Every programmer should know the bare bones of how pointers work. This is not an insurmountable task.
Additionally, you don't have to worry about any sort of pointer fuckery now in C++ since smart pointers are now a thing.
>>
>>54314039
>Java
>geimu
plz no, java runs games horribly, just look at minecraft.
>>
>>54314222
>le java is slow meme
>le cherry picked example
Back to /v/, kid
>>
>ever suggesting a GCed language for game servers
Erlang is the only exception, because it garbage collects each process individually.
>>
>>54314308
>cherry picked
literally the most popular commercial game that runs on java, how is that cherry picking.
you're just mad cause java is shit for games
>>
>>54314222
>>http://starmade.org/

Java is powerful when used correctly. There's just an oversaturation of mediocrity giving it a bad name.
Notch had a good plan but was shit at Java and most of his code is still bumbling around.
The ground-up mobile versions run just fine but desktop versions struggle.
>>
>>54313713
this sure doesn't need fucking jquery
>>54313628
Assembly
C/C++/C# even
JavaScript
Game engine language version
HTML
CSS
WEBGL
OPENGL
SQL something
>>
>>54314364
>assmebly
>web game
>>
>>54314558
everyone has to start with something
>>
>>54313628
Is the player data sent like movement direction and boost status sent to the server and stored using SQL then sent to other clients? Or is it just sent to the server and then sent out to all of the clients?
>>
>>54315018
client sends inputs, server reads inputs, updates server code, then sends it to the clients. no database is kept other than user logins.
>>
>>54315101
Thanks for clearing that up, does AJAX just send constant requests to update the game? What's a reasonable update interval?

I think I'll make a game in my free time.
>>
>>54315135
client sends updates to the client when ever a key is pressed or mouse is moved (what ever hte controls are appropately). The client also recives updates from the server at a constant interval, say 1 every 100ms or higher if you need more accuracy
>>
>>54316535
Damn, this seems very do-able, I want to make a goddamn slither.io type game, throw some ads on the page and make a million dollars.
>>
>>54313654
You don't really need WebGL for something like this. A JavaScript canvas would doing the trick.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.