[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interested in learning math behind Haskell, where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: a.jpg (106 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
106 KB, 640x640
I am currently learning haskell and love the theoretical nature of it. I want to learn the math behind it, where are good places to start?
>>
>>54313443

more pics of this chick.
thx
>>
>>54313443
lambda calculus
>>
>>54313443
1st grade math.
>>
File: 1446351382642.gif (1 MB, 255x219) Image search: [Google]
1446351382642.gif
1 MB, 255x219
>>54313443
If "haskell" means an ancient incantation to remove bathing suit tops, I also now encourage you to learn it.
>>
File: et3.jpg (61 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
et3.jpg
61 KB, 640x640
>>54313472
Yes sir.

>>54313511
Mathematical Logic?

>>54313551
Thanks anon.
>>
the math is useless bullshit

kind of like music theory compared to just playing what sounds good
>>
>>54313538
Category theory is not first grade and WILL replace set theory. Learning it will help you understand the language quickly.
>>
OP hereWhere is Haskell used in industry? Is it useful to learn? I enjoy it a lot so far but I see so many sites bashing it as abstract masturbation and useless in industry...
>>
Category theory is a lot easier than you think. The terminology makes it seem more complicated than it is.
>>
>>54313934
https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
>>
File: 203,200_.jpg (26 KB, 352x499) Image search: [Google]
203,200_.jpg
26 KB, 352x499
Haskell Curry wrote what is still today the best book on mathematical logic
>>
>>54313934
that's because it's abstract masturbation and useless in industry
>>
>>54316775
>>54316747
Thanks anons!
>>
>>54313934
>Where is Haskell used in industry?
Nowhere, it's a fringe language popular with hobbyists

>Is it useful to learn?
Most definitely. Much like lisp (or the platonic idea thereof), you don't learn it to write it, you learn it to understand the profound lesson learning it represents.

It's also worth pointing out a lot of off beat languages with cultish followings (which describes haskell perfectly) grew into popular mainstream languages. See python, perl, ruby, to a lesser extent the likes of rust, scala, CAML descendants and clojure. Hell, even java had a small core of fervent (and largely right) adherents in its early days before a decade of design-by-committee turned it into the bureaucratic pile of shit it is today.
>>
>>54317832
Thanks for the comment. I'm interested in mathematical logic and learning a bit of lambda calculus on the way. I can't express how much I'm enjoying learning haskell. Of course I'll never use it in any of my classes, but I see myself tinkering around with it on my own time. I'm also picking up a lot of math it utilizes as well (besides lambda).
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.