[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I realize this might sound retarded but hey I figure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: Computers_How.png (475 KB, 859x559) Image search: [Google]
Computers_How.png
475 KB, 859x559
Hi /g/

I realize this might sound retarded but hey I figure I have to try. This is gonna be a bit long.

I know theres a lot of shitposting and purposefully disrupting threads but hopefully someone knowledgable and willing to give some advice.

I know just enough about computers to know I don't really know shit about computers and I'm looking for somewhere to start.

Since I don't know much the particular differences between different carreer options and how one might prepare for them or transition from one to another.

Im hoping to try a few things and see if anything clicks. I honestly don't know if I would like to learn to program, to be a sys admin, security, web developer, software engineer etc. Basically how/where do I acquire the basic knowledge I need so that I can get a sense of direction in the tech world?

Background Info: Typical family tech support, can google around till something works if not I do my best to back up important files and reinstall widnows, I have a basic understanding of price/performance when it comes to basic hardware and have built a couple computers for friends and family. Recently cut way back on gaming and figure the money/time I spent on that could be put to better use. (Grandpa got cancer, put a lot of shit in perspective for me about not following up on personal hobbies and that.)

Not going into this thinking I'll be the next Woz, Gates, or Zuckerberg. If I find something I'm interested in that'll be its own reward and if I can make some money off it even better.

Where would you start? I'll be around for atleast a couple hours so hopefully someone will have the time to waste on helping me out.

If nobody is able (or just not willing) to spoonfeed me I'll understand. Even a nudge in the right direction as far as communities or resources where this sort of thing might be better explored would probably be incredibly useful.
>>
File: 1461378149728.png (464 KB, 1032x546) Image search: [Google]
1461378149728.png
464 KB, 1032x546
/r/ITCareerQuestions/

If you want real answers.

My rec is go for certs, but ask on there where verifiable In-Field professionals can be found.
>>
>>54300150
>I know just enough about computers to know I don't really know shit about computers and I'm looking for somewhere to start.

most people (outside 4chan, for sure) would tell you the next step is formal education in comptuer science, computer engineering, software engineering, or whatever strikes your fancy.

Fuck them. Woz, Gates, and Zuckerberg learned their shit ad-hoc and so can you.

A lot of advice will gravitate your way regarding classes, online resources, tracks and so on. It's good advice but missing the point.

You need to find something you FUCKING LOVE to do. something you will do even if it pays shit, or pays nothing at all.

If you do not have a clear goal in mind, the path to get there is 100% ambiguous. I personally think the difference between career software engineering cogs and technological entrpeneurs has more to do with motivation than genius, and I believe most of /g/ would agree (to a point)

So anon, what exactly about computers *excites* you?
>>
>>54300194
I'll start browsing and searching through the subreddit.

I guess with certs I'll have to look into cost and avilability (I somehow doubt they're doable online because why wouldn't you google?) since I don't live close to any big cities and that would involve plane tickets.

Appreciate the heads up.

1/2
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 900x948
>>54300150
>hi /g/
>>
>>54300212
I don't mind the idea of a formal education, I'm in europe so it should be relatively affordable compared to what I've heard from people in the states.

I appreciate the words of encouragement. I guess I don't really know what I love about computers. Closest thing I can say is I like them the way my old man likes cars. I like to hear about new things even tho I don't fully understand what they are/imply. Things new GPUs/Processors, the reason why dx12 might be important, how we're hitting the limits of silicon.

I enjoyed putting together the 3 computers I did. Hardware is fun, watercooling, learning proper ways to network, even building computers for people all sound cool.

It's all a little daunting because I was never very great at math, I barely scraped by with a passing grade in Calculus. I was studying Law but had to drop out in order to help care for my grandfather. Soon he might be in a postion where him and my grandmother might need a professional full time carer so my focus has to shift back to me so I don't stagnate.

I think dropping out of Law was good, I very much enjoyed the arguing and the questioning of lines of thinking, I like to think I frame my opinions on logic and since I was young I enjoyed playing devil's advocate and having discussions/arguments with people. (However I do realize I tend to become obsessive about some things and end up missing the big picture.) Sadly thats the only thing about law I enjoyed the rest was simply stuff I had to get through, At the risk of sounding like some armchair philosopher I was always happier having chats with professors and having them completely wreck my positions so that I could re-evaluate them. Class was mostly boring and menial work that I had to do after all the interesting stuff was done in seminars.
>>
>>54300507

The idea of making/fixing things is super appealing, I have zero artistic talent and have never been great at sports (things my siblings are great at) and thats something I'm jealous of but its made me naturally fall into a critique and questioning role with them.

The trouble is it all *sounds* exciting but thats because I don't really know enough about it. The professional world of Law is nothing like what I imagined when I started the carreer and I'm kind of afraid that this will be similar, which is why I'm hoping to dabble in different areas (enough to get some idea of what an actual project would be like) in order to figure it out.

>>54300481
Don't really see whats wrong with that but I guess thanks for your input.
>>
>>54300521
>nothing like what I imagined when I started the carreer and I'm kind of afraid that this will be similar
Well, you're not wrong.
>>54300507
>Things new GPUs/Processors
>reason why dx12 might be important
>how we're hitting the limits of silicon
>watercooling
>building computers
In your average IT job (system administration, desktop suport, networking, etc.) you'll do none of this. I've excluded hardware but even then the hardware that you deal with is significantly different. Obviously there are jobs that do the above, but they're pretty niche or entry level (repair shop).

I think the best way to get an idea of what it's like is to lurk a community that has a lot of discussion around day-to-day stuff in IT jobs. /g/ has none of this. I wouldn't normally say this but at least I'm not the first person in this thread to do so - maybe have a look at /r/sysadmin.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (8 KB, 243x208) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
8 KB, 243x208
>>54300481
>tripfag
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>54300606
Yeah I guess its just where I have a little bit of experience. I realize that kinda work is fairly entry level for someone in my position but its the only thing I've actually done if that makes sense. I started downloading drivers because I wanted to run games better, I got the jist of putting together non-retarded builds in order to not waste money. I figured out how to reinstall windows because a family friend dumped an old desktop on me since my parents thought I'd know what to do because I knew how to reset our home router and connect people to wifi.

It bothers me slightly that I don't understand the references people make. I'll see things on here like story threads and can understand the implication that someone did something retarded but even after googling I don't understand *why* it was retarded.

Things like the mocking of "femgineer" twitter pics or the CS degree meme just go right over my head because it all might as well be magic.

The idea of writing a game, or an some sort of program, or having an owncloud all sound appealing but it feels overwhelming compared to the simple stuff I've done in the past.

I was looking at things like /dpg/ and I honestly can't tell whos trolling and who isnt. Even when I google around it just feels like they both make valid arguments so I'm left with a ton of conflicting opinions and I guess I sort of freeze?

I'll go ahead and lurk those subreddits and continue lurking here.

>>54300630
How do I into general understanding of computers, I'm not retarded I don't think just the biggest fish in the smallest puddle.
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (72 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
72 KB, 643x820
>>
>>54300150
1. Think of something cool that computers do.
2. Google how it works.
3a. If it seems like something you can make/do yourself, attempt to do so, then continue from step 2 if/when it turns out to be more complicated than it seemed.
3b. If not, then pick the coolest part of how it works (even if it's just cool sounding and you have no clue what it is) and continue from step 2.
4. If you made it here, then return to step 1, chances are you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to pick for the next round.

Follow those steps enough times and you will become a god among machines.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.