[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vim appreciation thread? Vim appreciation thread. If you just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: macvim-dribbble.png (721 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
macvim-dribbble.png
721 KB, 800x600
Vim appreciation thread?
Vim appreciation thread.

If you just love this beautiful piece of software and don't understand why there exist people who are using something else, then poast ITT

Also, share stories about how it changed you're life.
>>
>>54296150
got any ideas on where to start learning vim?

just saw a presentation on ruby using vim (C# dev) and it was amazing how fast it could be when using it
>>
File: Emacs.png (199 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Emacs.png
199 KB, 1024x1024
Emacs is better than Vim. It does so much more you can full screen it and not have to leave it for an entire day because EVERYTHING is possible.

Dropping the Vim meme and embracing Emacs changed my life for the better. Who even uses Vim anyway apart from pseudo-intellectual arch users editing their hostname and other pointless shitty config files? Bram "CoonLover" Moolenaar but that's about it.
>>
>>54296243
hey have you heard of tmux
>>
>>54296243
not true I work with a large broadcasting firm and they use vim to build ruby with sinatra on their websites
>>
File: 10-Best-VIM-Cheat-Sheet-02.jpg (509 KB, 1979x1346) Image search: [Google]
10-Best-VIM-Cheat-Sheet-02.jpg
509 KB, 1979x1346
>>54296224
just start using it and don't give up. the first few days you will want to rip because you won't even be able to navigate around and using copy and paste

also, some gui versions have support for mouse and non-vim commands like CTRL+V etc. don't use that, it defeats the whole purpose
>>
>>54296243
>>54296275
also everyone keeps talking about how emacs is self-documenting and all great but the documentation is completely shit, like all GNU programs
>>
>>54296312
great thanks for info - having used vi before is it fairly easy to pick up?
>>
>>54296150
I use it for quick edits and it's really great, if I had more motivation to actually get muscle memory for it I might use it on a daily basis. Currently fucking around with Visual Studio Code for the fun of it.
>>
>>54296344
it's nearly the same, with more features
>>
>>54296358
oh really? that sounds much easier - might ask someone at work to help me out to make it easier though
>>
>>54296446
the most notable addition you might like is visual mode

this allows you to highlight stuff, making it much easier to move around blocks of code for example
>>
>>54296481
Are there any proper tips on how to set it up for web development? I'm using Sublime and VCS but I've heard it's efficient after the initial rage/bleed phase.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (281 KB, 3000x2019) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
281 KB, 3000x2019
>>54296243
vim together with tmux (with vim navigation) is nicer, you don't need 11 fingers to use it
>>
>>54296516
by default i think you'll have some pretty decent syntax highlighting, so i have no real tips there
>>
>>54296603
what exactly can tmux do?

reading the (fairly quick - sorry) overviews it seems to just allow you to access multiple terminals at the same time which I know is quicker but for me wouldn't seem to speed me up that much
>>
>>54296704
instead of having one power hungry program you can have smaller programs running at the same time
>>
>>54296723
I know that would definitely increase efficiency massively but my understanding is that this isn't something you wouldn't have to worry about unless it was really important (in enterprise applications)

so sorry to ask but do you have any specific examples?
>>
>>54296789
with tmux you can also detach sessions

this is useful if you use ssh and need to disconnect and reconnect later, it means you can leave stuff running in the background
>>
>>54296813
ah ok - thanks for answering my questions
>>
Been using it since the early-to-mid 90's. Can't imagine having to use some other editor now.
>>
>>54296789
with like 20+ terminal sessions it's easier to use tmux than terminal windows because it's faster to swap through them and arrange them. also, you can make plugins that send commands from vim to command line programs and back. the R plugin for Vim does that and it's really convenient to use
>>
>>54296224
type vimtutor in terminal
>>
>>54296911
i think i was less bored just trying to figure out vim myself than using vimtutor
>>
vi is better than vim though, it isn't bloated
only pussies use vim
>>
>>54296243
Any respectable Embedded Systems dev knows how to use Vim.
>>
>>54296971
it's good enough for configuration files but if you're writing big programs i don't think it's worth it
>>
>>54296971
vim is worth it just for the syntax high-lighting alone.
>>
>>54296900
is that the
Nvim-R plugin?

>>54296911
wow that's great - thanks for that
>>
>>54296150
Oh, I do love Vim, however at the same time I acknowledge that other people may prefer other text editors and that's fine as well. If one text editor could fit all workflows and preferences we'd have only one text editor. But since it's impossible to write a one-text-editor-fits-all we have a wide array of text editors, which makes it near certain that everyone will find one that suits his/her needs best.
So rejoice brothers and sisters. Rejoice that you get to choose what tools you use and rejoice that no one can force you to use a text editor you dislike against your will.
Isn't free software great?
>>
>Isn't free software great?
But notepad.exe isn't free anon.
>>
>>54297190
That's the text editor that comes with wine, isn't it? It's very basic and I can't really see the point of it, but I find it to be quite free.
>>
File: fatguy.jpg (4 KB, 160x119) Image search: [Google]
fatguy.jpg
4 KB, 160x119
>>54296243
>meme and embracing Emacs changed my life for the better. Who even uses
rek't
>>
File: spacemacs.png (97 KB, 551x601) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.png
97 KB, 551x601
>>54296150
I love the vim. What I love about it is of course the modal editing.
Then I heard about emacs and how it is easy to write your own plugins and extend it in any way you want.

Now I'm using spacemacs to have best of both worlds. Emacs isn't worth shit without modal editing though.
>>
>>54296243
I don't think I can learn emacs after learning vim. Vim is more streamlined and starts up instantly so what do I care. It just werks.

The only reason for me personally, to get into emacs is for lisp development. Even then I'd probably be a stubborn vimmer and do it manually with a command line REPL.
>>
>>54296295
good, dont want any of these artisans coming over to emacs
>>
>>54296243
>>54296150
I prefer nano
>>
>>54296982
>not vi
>not ed
You can stop lying out of your ass now.
>>
>>54296150
What's /g/'s opinion on Nano? I've used it sparingly and am really liking it so far.
>>
I tried to learn vim once because they said its efficient. Then I found out you have to use escape constantly and leave home row because of that. Lel, fuck that. Thats the opposite to being efficient.
>>
>>54296317
You can do things like C-h f to instantly see documentation about a function when working with elisp.
It's really quite nice.
>>54298742
Can always use evil mode.
Emacs starts up damn fast until you bloat the hell out of it with add ons.

Try time vim, and then time emacs -q and see.
>>
>>54300421
I bind jj to escape, works a lot better.
Some people use caps lock.
Did you even spend 5 minutes looking into this?
No vimmer uses ESC, unless they have ESC in a weird place that makes it work well.
>>
File: 800px-KB_Terminal_ADM3A.svg.png (31 KB, 800x259) Image search: [Google]
800px-KB_Terminal_ADM3A.svg.png
31 KB, 800x259
>>54300421
i have capslock remapped to escape.
>>
>>54300477
>Implying
I keep it on escape (on my T420, which doesn't have a weird esc key), and it doesn't really decrease my efficiency at all
>>
>>54296603
vim+tmux is absolutely, objectively not even close to as good as to emacs
>>
>>54298742
I run emacs as a daemon, starting a client is faster than starting a vim instance. then again you can run vim as a server too i believe. that's beside the point though, you use emacs if you want to program your editor to perfectly suit your needs. plus the extensions are higher quality because the extension language is better. don't pretend to like vimscript.
>>
>>54296312
Nice, actually needed one of those.

Also what are some recomended plugins?
>>
>>54296150
I hate when my text editor become a memory game
>>
I like Vim! It's comfy and easy to wear.
>>
>>54296224
Vim adventures, costs but it's worth it
>>
>>54300466
>You can do things like C-h f to instantly see documentation about a function when working with elisp.
it's so poorly written though
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.