[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
windows files into a Linux file?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 20160429_164238.png (427 KB, 1440x974) Image search: [Google]
20160429_164238.png
427 KB, 1440x974
I may switch to a Linux OS and I was wondering if there was a program on Linux that converts Windows files into Linux files.
>>
>>54295611
>a program on Linux that converts Windows files into Linux files

you want to convert exactly what to what?
>>
>>54295611
if you installed gentoo, yes.
These are called "flags".
>>
libreoffice can convert a lot of your windows files, not all of them, but a lot.
dos2unix can convert your dos files if you have any
there are also a lot of files that you don't need to convert.
>>
>>54295611
Haha
Dude don't worry with Linux. It's not really meant for mass consumers in desktops. It's all right.

t. Arch user
>>
File: arch_fags.png (1 MB, 639x4513) Image search: [Google]
arch_fags.png
1 MB, 639x4513
>>54295760
This is why I'm embarrassed to be using arch
>>
>>54295857
For what?
And why do you pretend you use arch?
>>
>>54295865
Why the fuck do you care what OS someone is using. Both windows and linux are good software and used in different circumstances. Just because you are using arch don't make you learn more about linux, the only thing different from using arch instead of for example ubuntu is that u speed an x amount of time making arch like ubuntu. The only reason u should use arch is become of pacman. I use windows on my main system then my server runs fedora and my laptop runs arch but I don't complain what os someone should use or should not use. My point is that different OS/Distros have different purpose.
And now I will wipe my ass.
>>
>>54296025
>Both windows and linux are good software and used in different circumstances
Don't lie to yourself Linux needs a lot of retard proofing.
https://developers.slashdot.org/story/16/04/14/1542246/man-deletes-his-entire-company-with-one-line-of-bad-code
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/02/01/1357237/running-rm--rf--is-now-bricking-linux-systems

Not a friendly work environment, which I think will change soon. It's not just there yet.

> Just because you are using arch don't make you learn more about linux, the only thing different from using arch instead of for example ubuntu
Ubuntu is a beginner friendly distro. I don't think ubuntu users in general have more knowledge than people building and shaping their own distro.
Ubuntu is a gateway to Linux. Did OP say he uses ubuntu?

>The only reason u should use arch is become of pacman.
And the AUR

I don't get what's up with you. I simply said, as an experienced user, that OP is not ready for Linux just yet and he should not convert now
>>
>>54295611
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54296154
Underrated post
>>
>>54296148
>man-deletes-his-entire-company-with-one-line-of-bad-code
Hoax.
>>
>>54296148

>Don't lie to yourself Linux needs a lot of retard proofing.

Depends on the distro. But that's why linux is have a different target than windows.

>Not a friendly work environment, which I think will change soon. It's not just there yet.

Ubuntu

>Ubuntu is a beginner friendly distro. I don't think ubuntu users in general have more knowledge than people building and shaping their own distro. Ubuntu is a gateway to Linux. Did OP say he uses ubuntu?

I have the exact knowledge that i earned from using ubuntu. Have not learned anything different from arch more than the distros specific stuff. If i learn GNU/linux i learn GNU/Linux no mather what distro.

>The only reason u should use arch is become of pacman. And the AUR

Yes ofc, didn't mean to ignore that. Forgot to write it.
>>
>>54296148

>Ubuntu is a beginner friendly distro. I don't think ubuntu users in general have more knowledge than people building and shaping their own distro.

Eric Raymond uses ubuntu and I think he have more knowledge than you.
>>
>>54297287
Sure, whatever you say, kiddo.
>>
>>54297287
>in general
Learn to read, retard
>>
>>54295760
dooms pls
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.