[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /g/ I'm going to buy a laptop soon I mostly just want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1458052625648.jpg (40 KB, 300x364) Image search: [Google]
1458052625648.jpg
40 KB, 300x364
Okay /g/ I'm going to buy a laptop soon I mostly just want to use it for streaming and programming.

I've been looking at ultrabooks because they just seem awesome for programming but are they really worth the cost?

Also has anyone ever done one of those pay once a month for 12 month plans from dell, lenevo, hp, etc.? I could pay the lump sum but I'd rather just pay like $40 a month if that's a nice option but I've honestly never heard anyone talk about that if it's nice or not.
>>
>>54293176
Ultra books are great if you arnt doing anything to intensive

You'll end up paying more of you do monthly rather than lump sum.

/thread
>>
>>54293176
Don't EVER do a plan on something like a laptop or a fridge or whatever. You'll end up paying a much larger total (MUCH larger) than if you were to just pay a lump sum.
>>
Just streaming and programming?

Any cheap used laptop with a 1080p screen and a good build quality should do.
>>
>>54293614
>>54293643

If it's interest free if paid off in 6-12 months how would it cost more? I understand if it's not interest free and everything but shit I'd rather pay $100 for 12 months and $1200 up front if that's the deal.
>>
look at it this way - theres a reason these companies make profit on doing these plans, interest free or not. If you get into a major financial situation in the near future, if there is issues with the deposits of payments, if you're a day late - the terms and conditions on shit like that can really screw you over.

Best bet is to save up, or sell some shit.

To be quite honest, if you have a main PC, that 1080p chromebook that's set to replace the pixel C would be super comfy. A laptop's main metric of value nowadays is battery life, streaming and shit is covered by hardware decoders, so don't worry too much about much else I would say. The screen and battery life should be your main metrics. Safe buying OP
>>
>>54294218

Well I want to program in unity and make sure the processor isn't weak and of course I'd prefer to not have a weak screen. Money honestly isn't an issue but i'd rather order it now then pay it off in ~3 months then pay the full $1200 or whatever the fuck up front you know? I'm currently doing basement renovations and like I just paid off my last month's credit bill and it was like $4000 so I aqm responsible and typically don't buy stuff I can't afford but in this current point in time I'd rather not drop $1200 on a programming/streaming laptop if I could put the payments out just for the hell of it you know?

I do have a main PC but I hate sitting at it to program for some reason and since I'm working with someone else it's nice to be able to go to a room we can both sit a table or to travel between houses you know?
>>
>>54294270
What i'm saying is just that if it wasn't profitable for these guys to offer shit like 0% deals, they wouldn't.

They are the most common pitfall for 'poor' people wanting to buy expensive shit.

If you are confident in your financial security and discipline, go for it, but if there is even a sliver of doubt you are better off saving. Makes it more satisfying too, making payments 6 months or even 3 months down the line dwells on the mind.

Dell's shit looks fine right now, try not to fall for the gaming laptop memes, that's all the advice i got senpai
>>
i typed 'f a m' there, not senpai just for posterity
>>
>>54294218

I realize you're counting on OP installing a chroot linux, but the standard streaming in chromeos is really poor.

OP, make sure it's 1080p screen and if you can't try out in person try to find some reviews online. Also, the monthly payment mentality is a concern. Save the money and pay for it fully in cash.
>>
>>54294333

yeah I got you senpai

That's what I wanted to hear desu I wanted to make sure that it's one of those things where it's nice if you're well off but can be a big fuckover if you're poor. Same as credit cards.

I tend not to buy stuff unless I can't afford it outright but I also prefer to pay over time if I can do both as it allows me to keep making money on top of it easily.

I have about $3000 in liquid money right now and I just want to keep it that way instead of blowing 1/3 of it on a laptop if I can ease it out. Thanks for the advice
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.