[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I turn my programming skills into money? I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: paint3.jpg (23 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
paint3.jpg
23 KB, 500x413
How do I turn my programming skills into money?

I've been programming for about 15 years -- ever since I had access to a computer. Websites/ games/ simulations/ bots/ plugins/ apps/ everything. But I have absolutely zero business sense. I work in a shitty bar and get abused by drunks on a daily basis. It finally dawned on me that I should turn programming into profit. I have no CS degree. I merely code because I love (am obsessed with) computers and mathematics.

I was thinking of selling adobe plugins or making websites for people. Perhaps getting into trading algorithms or using statistical analysis to develop a smart betting system? Should I just look for a programming job? Who's going to hire a hobbyist with no degree? (well I have a degree but it's in history therefore useless)

What do you guys do? Tell me what the fuck to do! Pls
>>
>>54292705
I found a way to turn programming skills into money

Now you may just be surprised

I got a job
>>
>>54292730
Thanks but what kind of job and what did you do to get it?
>>
fake it till you make it and apply for shit that really interests you .

i never had a university degree but applied for jobs at stuff that interested me with 10+ years experience in systems programming, that in reality probably was 3 years of systems programming and 7 years of garbage random shit from web over java to .net. in addition to that i had 10 real years of random computing skills from my childhood + random tech skill set stuff.
my experience is that there is no programmers job advertised as such and they either search for total random bullshit skill set as a job description or not at all. most also want to filter through university degree shit. ignore that and apply anyway if you think you fit the field, if its a good company they won't get many applications and consider you anyway if you give them reason and motivation.

if you want to invest a little money and speed up the process just use a headhunter.

recommended fields to develop for:
> science (research projects are very open and at least in my country actually use linux, which means you will do c/c++/lisp)
> movie industry (all the hobbit stuff was done on linux and they always can use someone that knows what hes doing and improves their tools)
> cars, key/tool makers, heavy industry in general (may be very conservative and QA is a must, but you can get paid under union rules and thus fairly, again my country. here open source is a hit and miss)
> shipping industry, transportation bushiness (hit and miss)
> spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace (science again, why not crash a rocket for some rich guy)

apply apply apply. if they recject you its their loss, most organization want people but hate searching/filtering for them because they want to do stuff. if you take the initiative you have done half their work for them. programming is a skill like no other that can be molded to fit almost any field.

suff i would avoid like fire though: office automation, finance, web stuff, apps, cloud etc.
>>
>>54294029
>apply anyway if you think you fit the field
This is fucking underrated.

/g/ autists read descriptions like "must love shitposting and have 3+ years NEET experience fapping to traps" and then don't apply because they dropped out 2 years and 9 months ago, and 2.75 < 3 so they can't
>>
>>54292807
Python/Django

sucked dick

no, but for real, I just worked on my portfolio
>>
>>54292705

I freelance, it's pretty easy to do if you use websites like freelancer.com but you need to keep your wits about you. People are always trying to fuck you, so business sense is a must in that case. You could ask people you know that are working shitty jobs if they want a website built. People in shitty jobs are always trying to find a way out of it through self employment. Even if they don't want one, they might know someone who does and recommend you. Create a facebook profile just for self employment. Don't invite friends on it, you will need to strictly control its content and then post example of your work on it for easy reference for future clients. Friend anyone who is/was or even may be a future client. Use the profile solely for networking and make it look its best.
>>
>>54292705
Gonna need the original source for this.
>>
I sell usbs with Microsoft office and photoshop as well as other programs to kids at my uni.
>>
>>54294568
Seconded
>>
>>54292705
>or using statistical analysis to develop a smart betting system?

Im interested in this anon. How does it work?
>>
>>54294251
My GPA has been dropping towards 3.0, should I drop out and learn to fap to traps as a neet?
>>
File: bummedjesus.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
bummedjesus.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
>>54295136
>tfw 2.92 GPA
Its fucking over, famalam.
>>
>>54292807
Buy a domain and a cheap webhost, make a nice page to display them. DO NOT USE A TEMPLATE FOR THIS. you can use all the frameworks and js libraries you want. Just make sure you design it yourself, its a good selling point for yourself. Next get some certifications from A+, Microsoft, etc. Put those on the page as well.

Then browse the Internet for some local places looking for a developer. Chances are you will find one, last time I looked around my area I found a ton of them like +20. Look for keywords like junior or intern, even if you aren't a junior if you can prove your skill/worth they will hire you.

I am like you and made programming a hobby, just be warned. If you get bored at work while programming, it probably means you aren't being challenged enough. Don't let it discourage you once you put in enough time anywhere you instantly become a senior developer which means you can work pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>54295775
I forgot to write that "them" is your projects or experimental fun. Something that is experimental to you may be the exact solution to another persons problems.
>>
>>54292705
NEED the sauce of this!!!
>>
>>54292705
make a scam game for the playstore get money with ads
>>
>>54294029

I ignore anything that talks about degrees. It's my experience that companies who wants freelancers with degrees have no idea what the fuck they're doing and working with them is just going to be a massive pain.

I have a bachelor's and while I don't regret the time or money spent to get it because I had a good time in college, it's not remotely necessary. Some of the best guys I've ever worked alongside dropped out of high school and the companies you want to work with know that. They're the ones you want to get in bed with because they actually know some things about programming and will make it as easy for you as possible.
>>
1) find a job
2) make yourself indispensable
3) demand bigger paycheck (profit)
>>
>>54292705

>I work in a shitty bar and get abused by drunks on a daily basis

I feel ya. Drunks are the only group of people worse than kids to work around/with.
>>
>>54297254
Really? Cause I would have said admin types. Then again, I tend to be drunk more than administrative..
>>
>>54297254

OMG so much this. There was a guy at my work that would hide vodka in the toilet water tank and sneak off to drink it. And would steal everything not tied down. He would often take all hardware out of a machine and take it home, then the next day he would take the empty case to management and say it was a junker and ask if he could take the case with him. Then he would just reassemble it when he got home and sold for drink. Drunks are fucking scumbags to be around. I'll not even begin a rant about how they think they can treat you like shit to.
>>
>>54292705
Listen to this guy: >>54294029
Especially when he is talking about the kind of jobs you should get into.
I'm attending university, but I got a job at a big company because I won a competition. Later I could pass the interview even though some grad students couldn't. All of this due to the fact that I was programming since I was around 10.
The kind of work you do in the usual enterprise environment especially if your job is appdev/webdev or some other mainstream bullshit where you make something like a "new highly innovative calendar app" which is in fact just like the other 1000 apps is shit. This is because developing those apps is far from challenging. They need grunts for grunt work. They have no special needs, they use the most used shit they can find and the less intelligence something requires the better because it makes people easy to replace. As I said there is really no need for special talents, maybe apart from a few cases.
So get into something which is more than that. This enterprise environment might look interesting at first, but in a few months you will realize that you use nothing of your talents/skills and in a few years you will be burnt out.
If you like math and you are hands-on, you might want to try to do some electronics as a hobby especially related to micro-controllers and as such to real time systems. With this you have a better chance to get into embedded systems, you can try without it too. However electronics (and related physics) can easily open up a whole new world for you. From what the things you are saying I suppose you are at least a fairly good autodidact, so you should try if you're interested.
>>
>>54294568
>>54294642
the worthless janitors here will ban for even an incompletely exposed ass because they are retarded losers.
>>
>>54300237
What does that have to do with posting a link to source, retard?
>>
What should I be doing if I want to get into the artificial intelligence field?
>>
>>54301802

getting into a PhD program in engineering, math or computer science would be a good start
>>
Just make aimbots homie, made 45k last year.
>>
>>54292705

Can you make games in unity?
>>
>>54292705
Make a portfolio. Experience outweighs education 10 fold so you could probably get a salary job depending on the location.
>>
>>54295309

>tfw my gpa is too low to even speak of

i tihnk i fucked up guys
>>
>>54292705
If you can do Java or C# then apply to a company that needs people doing that.
Try to write a web application and desktop application in both to show them.
>>
>>54292705
haha shes smelling the cats paw hahaha :D
>>
>>54292705

Drop a disposable e-mail in case I need a programmer.
>>
>>54297164
>3) demand bigger paycheck (profit)

I'm an autist how do I do this? Even though I work my ass off and fill in gaps that other people aren't competent at or willing to become competent I feel like I'm not good enough. Only been there a year. I don't like the idea of job hopping, but it doesn't seem like you can get a decent salary otherwise.
>>
What kind of projects would look good in a portfolio for someone without a degree?

I'm really uninspired when it comes to projects, the only ideas for projects I get is for vidya which is my biggest interest, but how appealing are vidya projects in a portfolio?

no webdev too
>>
put github in CV, obtain job

you sound delusional and you're probably overestimating your abilities though
>>
>>54292705
>Your answer im one video
Your fucking lucky day op
Anon here to your rescue
https://youtu.be/FoUWHfh733Y
>like a rock star
>>
>>54297164
That only works when your employer is smart enough to realize you're indispensable.

Mine wasn't, so I had to change jobs.
>>
>>54302945
This. Student here with two years of work xp, and the interviewer didn't even ask about my uni studies.
>>
sauce?????!??????|??
>>
>>54305899
anyone?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.