[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, is centon any good? Lowest price I've seen for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: _20160429_095427.jpg (167 KB, 1080x1231) Image search: [Google]
_20160429_095427.jpg
167 KB, 1080x1231
Hey /g/, is centon any good? Lowest price I've seen for a 480gb ssd. Only 3 reviews on Amazon and they say they're great, some.other review site says it suffers in sequence tial write performance but only slightly. What do?
>>
MTBF 2,000,000 Hrs
Warranty 1 Year
Controller PS3110-S10

Not that bad, but not that great controller (it's also used in Corsair Neutron XT, for example). Also, Corsair did improved some aspect by upgrading firmware, and I don't see anywhere, where Centon offer firmware updates, even in spreadsheet there are "Firmware NOT CONTROLLED" which can mean, that Centon simply grab controller with w/e firmware they was supplied by Phison, and forget about it.
>>
>>54290179
>>54290481
>Warranty 1 Year
By that time Intel's new 2GB/s, 32 TB SSD will be out. Oh wait, no that's 20 years away forever, never mind.
>>
>>54290496
You talking about optane? Isn't they presented working model on recent IDF
>>
>>54290549
Yep, just 20 years away along with all the other shit that makes the news like 3D crystal holograms that can store petabytes of data for 5 million years. We'll get all that shit really soon, just 30 years you'll see.
>>
>>54290481
Think it might be worth trying out? Microcenter offers 2 year no questions asked warranties on their shit for like 10-20 bucks for that tier. Mite b cool
>>
>>54290695
Sure, if you don't need really high random performance.
>>
>>54290816
Nah. Mainly just read performance. Having my PC start up night and quick and having programs open nice and quick are my only real needs. Plus I know it beats a regular HDD anyway.
>>
>>54290481
>that Centon simply grab controller with w/e firmware they was supplied by Phison, and forget about it
That's not good. That particular controller had issues with garbage collection, so Corsair had to address that with additional firmware to prevent the write performance from degrading into HDD-levels of inconsistency.
I bet you anything that this SSD has the same problems (Phison did not release a firmware update for this controller, as far as I'm aware, which means that it was up to the manufacturer to address it). It will perform well in the short term, maybe even matching the 850 EVO is read and write speeds of smaller files. But once that garbage collection becomes an issue, the performance is going to drop like a rock, get better for half a second, and then drop even more.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.