[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology- 36159146
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: burgerstan.jpg (34 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
burgerstan.jpg
34 KB, 660x371
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36159146
>>
scary stuff desu
>>
>The case highlights the US government's ongoing battle with data encryption.
>The man, a former police sergeant, cannot be named for legal reasons.
>>
>>54289940
> be americlap
>>
>>54289965
>be americlap
http://thenextweb.com/us/2016/04/29/fbi-might-soon-allowed-hack-computer-world/

Have fun
>>
File: freedom.jpg (15 KB, 400x283) Image search: [Google]
freedom.jpg
15 KB, 400x283
>>54289951
>>54289965
>>
File: google.jpg (29 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
29 KB, 640x360
>>54289973
>>
File: 1449525827496.png (60 KB, 860x650) Image search: [Google]
1449525827496.png
60 KB, 860x650
They don't even have evidence, how is this legal?
>>
>>54290053

Under the current administration, we are considered guilty until proven innocent
>>
>>54290053

his sister testified against him or something like that
>>
>>54290082
> drop encrypted hard drive at neckbeards house
> tell FBI you saw neckbeard fapping to CP
> ?????
> federal raep

This is some next level shit being pulled right here.
>>
>>56290115
wtf man delete this
>>
>>54289940
How come nobody else but this guy got arrested? No reason whatsoever, that's right. He didn't do anything.
>>
File: usa.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>
File: usa.jpg (206 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
206 KB, 500x481
>>54290223
>>
File: Matt.Edman.png (261 KB, 790x705) Image search: [Google]
Matt.Edman.png
261 KB, 790x705
>>54289940
>>
>>54290260
>operation Torpedo
say what you will about the ethicality of it but that name is brilliant
>>
>>54290315
>say what you will about the ethicality
yeah because it's totally unethical to pursue child molesters and pedophiles or what?

Jesus.
>>
>>54290334
no, the hacking part
>>
BBC is blocked here. What does it say?
>>
>>54290353
as long as it gets them to the pedos, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>54290194
The issue at hand is the lack of evidence without him decrypting the hard drives and his imprisonment upon his use of the 5th amendment rights provided to prevent him self incriminating. Even if he is guilty, it shouldn't be his job to decrypt the hard drives.
The FBI and other LE agencies are just making power grabs, they already can decrypt the hard drives by cloning them and brute forcing the duplicates and reckoning them repeatedly until they reach success. 7 months is plenty of time for that to suceed.
They simply want to strip people of their rights and find a loophole that gets legally backed to fuck people.
I know you have your own point to make but consider the following:
Did these people truly deserve imprisonment?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_dissidents
>>
It's pretty clear 5th amendment violation, his lawyers will probably win.
>>
>>54290232
hello police, i think this naked homeless man covered in shit might be up to something
>>
>>54290368
because "the end justifies the means" is a dangerous road
because for something to be secure against Russian credit-card thieves and the Chinese army, it must also be secure against the FBI
because everyone, including pedos and terrorists, is entitled to due process
because government power is inherently dangerous to a free and democratic society, and must be kept to a minimum
because it is better for ten guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be convicted falsely or on evidence obtained in violation of his natural rights
>>
>>54290395
No it's not. He has to be charged with a crime first. You can be detained indefinitely if you're not charged with a crime.
>>
>>54290568
>muh freedoms
>>
>>54290560
hmm fair enough

Still I have a bad feeling about this, I mean the guy is quite obviously guilty...
>>
>>54290782
Shouldn't you be sucking that refugee cock, eurotrash?
>>
>>54290822
He *looks* guilty, yes. Has he been proven guilty? No.

Do we want a government that can do whatever it wants to someone it claims, but has not proven, is guilty? If the government can do that to a pedo, they can do it to anyone they don't like.
>>
>>54290951
y u think snowden went to russia
>>
>>54290951

His sister said he had pizza. Good enough witness.
>>
CP was a mistake.
>>
>>54290115

well if you're taking random harddrives you find on the street (why, exactly? snowden leaks mentioned that the NSA were working on vulnerabilities in HDD firmware much like how badusb works) you're putting yourself in a position where you're admitting theft or admitting to own whatever is on those drives, and if it's encrypted you're up shit's creek

the only good outcome is to erasing the drive before the police come knocking but if you're doing that you wouldn't be put in that situation now, would you?
>>
>>54290115
Time to start dropping encrypted drives into politician's homes and giving FBI calls.
>>
>>54290975
because thats where he was passing through when the State Dept realized what happened and revoked his passport.

>>54290999
So an accusation means he has no rights?
>>
>>54291077
You'd still have to get the cheese pizza first, in order to encrypt and put it on the drives
>>
>>54291148
No you wouldn't. You wouldn't need to put anything on the drive whatsoever. That's the entire issue here. They're keeping a guy jailed because he had encrypted drives and cannot or will not decrypt them. What is actually on the drives cannot be proven and isn't even relevant at this point.
>>
>>54290568
Remember the Patriot Act and Gitmo? Yeah...
>>
>>54290053
something about refusing to collaborate with the authorities, forgetting stuff goes down that line (interestingly only in some situations) which goes against the right of not incriminating yourself
>>
>>54290260
>Operation Torpedo
>Tor
>pedo

10/10
>>
>>54291166
>>54291148
>>54291077
And Hillary has proven that the FBI won't touch politicians. They'll keep it going long enough to lose mass public interest and let the media sensationalize something else so it gets swept under the rug.
Remember that whole indicting hillary over the TS-SCI data in a private unencrypted server? Yeah, we might, but nobody else does.
>>
>>54290260
WTF looks exactly like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra4Ehmifh4
>>
>>54291148
But the beauty here is that you don't need actual cheese pizza on the drives. Just fill them to the brim with rare pepes for extra memes if they manage to decrypt them somehow.

>>54291276
If politicians doesn't work because they're above the law then go after useless reality stars. Tbh that might be even better way to get the general public to care about this. Everyone expects politicians to be dirty perverted old men. But when their favourite reality star gets thrown in a jail without being able to do anything about it people might start caring. Would also make for much better memes.
>>
>>54291282
welcome to the botnet
>>
>>54291276
To be fair, she had no classified emails before the server was examined. She broke no laws. Then many of the emails were reclassified before releasing to the public to hide some things of sketchy nature. That suddenly made the server illegal and she can get prosecuted for it. It's just a shit law in the first place.
>>
>>54291578
That's not the order of operations here.
It was classified prior to release, it was then up classed upon review of data.
It was illegal for her to store it on the server prior to, during, and after she was doing it and caught, then after she was caught she changed the regulation to allow Sec. State to store on private servers like she did, after the fact, meaning at the time, she was still breaking the law, as well as the conflict of interest and validity of the reg. Changes that she made.
Also the mysterious wipe of her data.
Also the lack of effort to recover the wiped data which isn't that hard to do, even with an 8750 compliant 7-pass overwrite scrub.
>>
>The government then invoked a 1789 law called the All Writs Act, which gives federal courts the power to force people to co-operate in a criminal investigation.
>>
>>54291650
Thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>54290053
>The investigators had been monitoring the online network Freenet
>and decided to search the man's home, according to news site Ars Technica.
>>
>>54292008
>Freenet
People still use that?
>>
>>54291932
Because what's the Fifth Amendment amirite :^DDD
>>
>>54291650
Not trying to be rude, but I'm genuinely curious why you say it's not hard to recover data from a drive that's been wiped with 7 passes.
>>
>>54290395
The bill of rights isn't to be interpreted at face value and that's why we have scotus to tell us what it means and also why I can't build nukes in my back yard.

The judiciary act of 1789 is the foundation of the federal judiciary branch and this could very well go the wrong way.
>>
>>54292067
ONLY pedoes. No one else. People have said it for years.
>>
>>54292100
It's possible even with the software side, I used to be in the army and have had to do it for command personnel who turned in drives for destruction which we would wipe IAW 8750, then they'd end up telling us there was some files they really needed off of it. We were able to recover it using forensic software. Takes a few hours and several scans but you can still get the data back.
The only thing that's too intense is degaussing (big mofo magnet) combined with physical destruction (HDD shredder)

I can't remember the name of it but there's a white hat convention every year and they host competitions for data recovery. Some of the hard drives used in the competitions were put through a series of scrubs and a degaus process then shot with rifles, the only data that wasn't recoverable was the portions of the platters that were physically missing from the gunshots. Shit's cray cray son
>>
>>54289957
>>54289957
>>54289957
>>54289957
THIS THIS THIS THIS
Fake news to scare people of using encryption.
>Fake news to scare people of using encryption.Fake news to scare people of using encryption.
>Fake news to scare people of using encryption.Fake news to scare people of using encryption.
>Fake news to scare people of using encryption.
>>
>>54290568
>You can be detained indefinitely if you're not charged with a crime.
Not legally, and I doubt non-terror suspects will be handled with the same inertia that terror detainees have been.
>>
>>54289957
Because spreading someone's name as a pedophile when they haven't even been charged with a crime is opening for a lawsuit.
>>
You are fucking dead in the water if you admit or give reason to believe you have the passwords for your encrypted drives.

It's simple, you just say you have forgotten. Unless it's a matter of national safety, you won't get waterboarded. You might be taken into custody for a while but if you convince them you can't remember, they can't help but let you free. They might keep your hard drives but good luck brute forcing them open.
>>
So fags can marry even though nowhere in the constitution does it give them that right, but something that violates the 5th so clearly it's not even funny just flies?
>>
>>54290568

>You can be detained indefinitely if you're not charged with a crime.

The fifth and fourteenth amendments both explicitly state that you cannot be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Holding a person without charging them with a crime is called false imprisonment, and it's illegal.
>>
>>54292573

In theory, gay marriage can be allowed though the full faith and credit clause. Marriage is a contract, and any contact made in one state must be honored in all other states. So if someone gets gay married in Washington, where it's legal, Texas has to recognize it.
>>
>>54290053
I mean it's a little suspicious that he refuses to decrypt it. If there was nothing illegal on there and he was threatened with jail, it'd be more logical to prove yourself innocent and not go to jail than refuse to let the police see your collection of beetroot photos.
>>
>>54290356
TL;DR version
>guy gets accused of having CP on his hard drive
>hard drive is encrypted
>neckbeard won't decrypt it so the police can search it
>gets sent to jail for being a stubborn cuck
>has to stay in jail until hes willing to decrypt it and show them what's on it
>>
>>54294378
I'd refuse decrypting anything I have just on principle. And because I could sue the shit out of the guberment after they've illegally held me for a few years and have to let me put eventually. Not to even mention the book deals for being wrongfully held captive for years.
>>
>>54290560
>>54291084
This man knows what's up
God bless
>>
>>54294474
>sue the shit out of the guberment after they've illegally held me for a few years
lmao

>Not to even mention the book deals for being wrongfully held captive for years
double lmao

you actually think the world is a fair and just place too don't you
>>
>>54294431
What about his freedumbs?
>>
so are anime lolis considered CP?
>>
>>54295497
Depends on which country you reside in.

UK = Yes
Japan = No
USA = No
>>
>>54295382
Life isn't fair. However cases like this are all about media play. You don't even try to decrypt shit. You gotta claim from the start that you can't remember the passwords anymore. Then it isn't even about if the government should have power to force people to decrypt their shit but how they're keeping a helpless tax paying citizen locked up without any evidence and he can't do anything about it. And with social media it doesn't even matter if newspapers or TV stations won't acknowledge it as long as you shill it right.
>>
>>54296131
Just FYI, this has happened before with at least one American citizen who was suspected to be a terrorist but had no proof. He couldn't sue the government because there is a law that says the government can decide if they should be sued and they decided no.
>>
>>54295784
>UK = yes

fate prisma illya was released in the UK and only got a 12 rating.

in case you are unaware, this show features 7 year old girls naked and kissing each other every episode to "transfer mana"
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.