[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
name at least 1 stacking WM/DE for linux as beautiful and performant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
File: 9osxfullscreen.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
9osxfullscreen.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
name at least 1 stacking WM/DE for linux as beautiful and performant as Quartz/Aqua
bonus points: not slow and without screen tearing without the need to install compton and fuck with configs
>>
File: 1461821158221.jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461821158221.jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
>>54286554
>Quartz
slow as fuck on OS TEN TEN.
>apple had to tune down those fancy effects to fix it
horrible font render on non retina displays
>apple had to develop a new font to fix it
APPLE BEST IN THE WORLD HURR DURR
TIM COCK TAKE ME NOW
>>
>>54286629
>horrible font render on non retina displays
Seriously why has this become so bad? I used to love the fonts on my 2011 MBP but ever since Yosemite it has gone to shit and looks like a blurry mess and no bullshit font smoothing setting will fix it neither off nor on
>>
>1982+34
>not using CDE
>>
>>54286629
actually, it's OS TEN TEN DOT TEN
and that new font is used on os ten ten dot eleven
>>
Gala, Mutter, Compiz (if you use a distro with a decent config) + any decent GTK/qt theme
>>
>>54286665
cde + compton with a lot of shadows = really awesome. sadly a bit too buggy. really i prefer it over, say, gnome or kde or xfce.
>>
>>54286677
gala: absolutely laggy window management on non intel gpus (especially resizing)
mutter: probably same as gala
compiz: not really usable outside of a DE
>>
>>54286658
to force you to buy a new Retinaâ„¢ display

it's nothing new for apple
>>
Indeed.

Using KDE/Gnome 3 with proprietary or open source drivers results in sluggishness for me where at the very least Quartz is fine.

Problem OP is that nowadays getting Mavericks is difficult and it's really not secure.
>>
i want to fucc taytay
>>
>>54286761
actually easy: it's still in mac app store, you just need to reinstall
and it's still supported! probably for next year only though
>>
>>54286777
Yeah sure, if you had a license before.

I didn't so I'm fucked. Besides there's a little few things I like about el capitan anyways, but I wish they didn't take out the 3 finger window dragging, it was cool.
>>
>>54286800
just download it from torrent trackers, it's legal in most places if you had any os x license before
>>
>>54286554
What's wrong with Unity? Its DPI scaling is breddy gud, and probably better than windows in certain areas.
>>
>>54286554
There isn't, simple as that

Mac OS X has solved the compositor problem since 2000 while in Linux/Xorg land it's still broken in 2016

A big part of this is the X server. It was always shit but after the iPhone launch and the success of Android it's shitiness can't hide it anymore.

Think about it, small underpowered devices like iPhones and Android phones can do things with windows, smotth UI animation and compositing that powerful workstations with X can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

But it's worse than that. Wayland is nowhere near stable and I'm afraid once it's released it will an overcomplicated, overengineered software that will not solve the problem it was designed to solve. As is the case of most corporate-Linux software these days (Unity, Gnome, SystemD (vs LaunchD in Mac OS X and iOS which just works), etc)

I think the the best course of action would be for someone to port whatever display server Android uses to GNU/Linux and solve at once every problem with desktop Linux.
>>
>>54286827
not that beautiful, but a nice option. you win this thread, i guess, because others are worse
>>
>>54286832
surfaceflinger is weird and android dependent. Mir could be better (ubuntu touch).
>>
File: 17eblpbylxuj9jpg.jpg (180 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
17eblpbylxuj9jpg.jpg
180 KB, 640x360
>>54286827
Unity is not bad. Issue is for instance, the global menu design is still kind of dumb there. The title of any window will be overlapped by any options.

I mean frankly, in this picture, why can't it just say "Firefox" or "Firefox web browser"? Why must it hide behind the File menu?
>>
>>54286860
didn't they stop doing that a few versions before?
>>
>>54286879
I tried 16.04 just a little bit before it was released and it was still there.

In any case Unity is pretty decent (course if you love ricing or some shit like that it's not gonna offer much other than a few themes like ark). I just wish Ubuntu didn't ditch proprietary drivers for AMD cards as mine is allergic to open source ones.
>>
>>54286923
>AMD on non-windows
god i think you'd get better performance if you'd use integrated intel
unless your cpu is amd
>>
>beautiful
not really relevant to a WM
>without tearing
that's the job of a compositor...

>without the need to install compton
see above

I will say, though, that even with compton I haven't been able to fix tearing. Such is life with the non-free nvidia driver.
>>
>>54286937
I have an i5 4460. I could use the intel hd 4600 though that has given me some real trouble with hackintosh.

I have been thinking of doing this VGA passthrough thing as I've seen somewhere that pretty much my entire current build would be suitable for it (except the amount of RAM, only have 8GB) but I don't get exactly how that would work, since I think choosing integrated graphics as primary device disables dedicated graphics on the BIOS. There's a setting for using both for multimonitor setups I think.
>>
>>54286965
i mean there are lots of alternative programs on linux, yet only one compton. and it isn't a panacea as you said
>>
I use OS X and dearly miss the "shitty" and "dated" UIs of linux

Fuck all this rounded, animated, and shadowed bullshit.

>>54286832
>compositor problem

There was never a problem

Desktop effects are a waste of cycles and disk space. Omitting them makes implementing good remoteapp/desktop (and everything else) simpler.
>>
>>54286970
actually, it won't on uefi. you have to have uefi motherboard for kvm passthru to work.
>>54286983
enjoying the staircase when something fails? and gpus today are much faster than cpus, which have a lot of work already
also, >not doing everything in console
>>
>>54287002
Plan 9 with rio does not have this problem.
>>
>>54287013
because apps are written by people who know their shit
sadly, that is a part of a reason why plan 9 barely has programs. and it's outdated in favor of inferno anyways.
>>
>>54287025
inferno is fucking shit though, i'd rather use rio and shit
>>
>>54287057
it's more insecure than windows xp
at least, no malware
>>
>>54287002
Oh well, that's no issue then. UEFI is there.

I suppose that with the exception of games and graphic design tools (which the dedicated gpu would handle, it's a 280x), that iGPU would handle videos just fine.
>>
>>54287081
ye, just run games and gpu things in vbox with windows
and youre not supposed to disable gpu at all, you just feed it with a stub driver while enabling both intel and gpu
>>
>>54286923
Ubuntu didn't ditch proprietary drivers, AMD dropped support for modern versions of X. It had nothing to do with Ubuntu and they were held back all this time because of AMD. AMD told them to start using the AMDGPU open source drivers and there is plans to create a hybrid driver in the near future so people don't have to be held back anymore thinking about AMD users.
>>
>>54287101
Aight, thanks

>>54287136
Yeah, but that'd be nice if AMDGPU supported more GPUs. Mine is not on the list because it happens to be in the list of GCN 1.0 cards and to be honest it's quite shitty on open source drivers. So that kinda forces me to either use outdated shit that works or try using integrated graphics instead.
>>
>>54286658
haha jokes on you for not using the version apple didnt fuck up that much: mavericks
>>
>>54287191
Funny thing about that is the fact I finally find a distro that had drivers that support my AMD GPU cause of AMDGPU drivers. I don't play games anymore tho so I'm most likely going to sell my GPU.
>>
KWin

my only problem is other kde components that are notoriously unstable, like plasma, akonadi, etc
>>
>>54287066
but seriously what is the point of inferno?

is it for embedded hardware? it seems to be
>>
>>54287327
yeah right i had horrible tearing and performance when i used kde
was pretty stable and pretty though
>>
Eh, more than the interface which is pretty ok I like the trackpad gestures

I mean linux has much better support than windows for that but still it just doesn't get as intuitive as a magic trackpad with BTT
>>
Whales are beautiful too OP.
>>
>>54286800
3 finger window dragging works on El capitan. The setting is under accessibility.
>>
>>54287377
u wot mate
>>
>>54287387
Huh.

I missed this. Thanks my man
>>
>>54287387
can one screenshot a window like that on linux?
>>
>>54286554
>Why software A that was developed by hobbyist in their free time without isn't as good as software B that was developed by a team of commercial developers (with proper resources) driven by money.
Awwwwww geeeeez, who knows?
>>
>>54287558
apple is one corporation, while linux and x11 are done by at least 5.
>>
>>54287588
Compare amount of hardware OS X runs on and Linux then tell me whats easier to maintain. Linux basically runs on toasters and supercomputer for free. It's amazing they provide distros for average users for free.
>>
>>54287679
os x runs on both macbooks and mac pros too
and it's free since last decade
>>
>>54287688
>os x runs on both
>macbooks and mac pros
>it's free

Ahh so you are just shitposting. Enjoy your day anon.
>>
>>54287793
but os x is free
and it runs on a much wider range of devices, to the point of PDAs with hackintoshes
>>
>>54287855
Indeed, if you have a computer with an intel CPU you already won half of the battle
>>
>>54286554
jesus os x was so ugly before yosemite. really glas that design language is dead
>>
>>54287967
amd users still can, with custom kernels. its much harder to get graphics working, because you need either an nvidia card or a set of specific intel igpus or amd cards.
>>
>>54288002
wtf is wrong with you
yosemite looks like a worse version of cheetah or puma or whatever the first versions were called.
>>
File: el-cap-mission-control-screen.jpg (274 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
el-cap-mission-control-screen.jpg
274 KB, 1200x750
>>54288025
at the time i didn't hate it but honestly looking back on it os x before yosemite is butt ugly
as was ios before 7
>>
>>54288069
tfw they reused the dock from 2000
>>
>>54288069
Honestly safari on Mavericks is just not good looking at all. Almost reminds me of using an early version of Opera or netscape.

But yosemite had the objectively worst font you could choose for a system. And I really fucking hate Windows for its font rendering but god damn that was bad. El Capitan looks -decent-, which is great because you don't have the option to change it.
>>
>>54288189
are you really comparing windows font rendering with os x? on a high dpi (and even a normal 1080p display) windows font rendering is atrocious
>>
Did they fix the font rendering on low res screen in el capitan?
>>
>>54288240
I would still compare the poor choice they made with yosemite with that.

I mean non-retina was a nightmare
>>
>>54288274
my only experience with os x has been with a retina pro. so it was that bad on air and stuff huh? got any screencaps in png?
>>
>>54288189
i like that over new one. looks kinda better
>>
>>54288069
>my taste changes with time
So you're retarded then.
>>
>>54288938
they just like what's trendy and everyone is using
>>
>>54287557
like what? only the window? sure.
>>
>>54287387
these fonts look awful
>>
Came to this thread to get suggestions on good WMs. Instead got moronic bickering. Why is /g/ so shit nowadays?
>>
>>54290257
with these shadows on alpha channel!
>>54290435
g was never good. maybe only when it was guro.
>>
>>54290435
also i suggest you aqua/quartz
>>
What would make the UI in 10.11 lag slightly?

I don't have too many problems with graphically "intensive" applications, luxmark gives me about maybe a score of 13000 where I get 14000 on Windows, but the real thing that irks me is that when moving between desktops, scrolling through websites on Safari (because it gets even worse in Chrome) and anything that's animated, every 10 to 15 seconds it decides to stutter a bit. Like the framerates on this shit would just drop.

So I'm trying to look for a solution but I'm not sure. Could this be because of how power management works for the CPU/GPU, faulty RAM or motherboard, I'm just not sure at all. 8GB of RAM on single channel should be enough.
>>
>>54290938
apple fucked it up. wait for an update, or go all way back to mavericks. maybe it's GPU power management, but you can only disable it completely. try to.
>>
>>54287558
>being this retarded
shitty proprietary software is made to be SOLD to grunts
quality FOSS software is made to be USED by experts
>>
>>54286554

Oh, look it's 2006 again
>>
>>54291028
oh look its 2000 again
[yosemite desktop vs os x 10.0 desktop]
>>
>>54288189
There's actually an app that replaces the San Francisco font with the Lucida Grande font from Mavericks and before. It's not perfect and there's a few bugs, but at least you finally get back the nice, readable font developed for the older non-retina screens.
>>
>>54290667
You can on GNOME.
>>
Gnome 3
>>
xfce of course
>>
>>54291024
>shitty proprietary software is made to be SOLD to grunts

This includes having an sellable as in usable product

>quality FOSS software is made to be USED by experts

This includes dependency hell, bugridden code and unusable UI
>>
>>54290271
sorry but if a font that looks fine to 99% of people and is easy to read bothers you that much you must have a shit life...
>>
File: OJnqT.png (74 KB, 562x700) Image search: [Google]
OJnqT.png
74 KB, 562x700
>>54287557
>>54290667
>>
File: Ar5Fh.png (124 KB, 813x541) Image search: [Google]
Ar5Fh.png
124 KB, 813x541
>>54292858
>>
File: RL2Z8.png (20 KB, 638x416) Image search: [Google]
RL2Z8.png
20 KB, 638x416
>>54292893
>>
Fact is that all the options suck. OSX is gimped and locked down. X server is a joke. Wayland became where's waldo. I honestly think the only hope is MIR. Hopefully the autistic developers of the other DEs realize this and actively support it.
>>
>>54291005
By disabling it completely you mean removing its kext? Ive done that. Thanks though, maybe I'll have to just wait it out.
>>
>>54286666
I'm sorry satan plz forgive me.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.