[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
raspberry pi discussion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: me.jpg (10 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
10 KB, 350x263
So, I just got a raspberry pi. wich OS do you guys recommend.
also raspberry pi discussion thread
>>
Also I am curious show off your raspberry pi desktop
>>
>>54277164
mate
>>
>>54277164
>It's another "I just got a raspberry pi. What do?" thread
>>
>>54277520
not really but if your guys think that
>>
File: 1452462725922.png (697 KB, 610x508) Image search: [Google]
1452462725922.png
697 KB, 610x508
>>54277164
Serious question, I want to use RasPi as a home server/NAS but it doesn't have native SATA, what is the most efficient way to hook it up to say 18 GB of HDD storage space?
>>
>>54277164

openelec

who actually uses one for something other than a media box?
>>
>>54277666
Nas server... should have got a banana pro. 1gb ethernet and Sata on board.... better processor too and cheaper. Slightly worse graphics but you don't need that for nas and it has a very well supported nas server img already built on the lemaker site
>>
>>54277894
Good thing I haven't got RasPi yet (won't buy anything until I know what the whole system would be looking like), so I could still get the banana.
>>
>>54277919
Much better option for nas use. I have one works great also hook up to backup battery or a rechargeable usb power supply that supports through charging in case power goes out it keeps your server running without needing resetting up
>>
>>54277992
Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>54277164
rasbian.

Ive been using a raspi as my main computer for a couple months now. If you need it for server stuff, get the lite version.
>>
File: pigboy1.jpg (169 KB, 471x600) Image search: [Google]
pigboy1.jpg
169 KB, 471x600
Windows for IoT
>>
>>54278701
>>>>>>>>>>>>no
>>
>>54277992
Would Banana Pro work well with a 3.5 inch WD Red HDD if I use an external 12v power supply as in
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-HD-HDD-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Converter-EU-Plug-SY-/281979364409?hash=item41a747a439:g:1BEAAOSwzvlW9Lgg
I know the board can supply 5v but not 12v for large SATA drives.
>>
What emulators can I use on it without stuttering?
>>
>>54277164
I've used it as a tftp server.

I've been meaning to do a couple things with it but lately I've been busy
>>
File: raspberrylogin.png (41 KB, 648x822) Image search: [Google]
raspberrylogin.png
41 KB, 648x822
>>54281466
Forgot pic
>>
>>54277894
>>54277919
>>54277992
The SATA isn't the fastest but still better than anything in that range. You just need to config it properly.

Also how do you power your board?
I'm having trouble powering the board and a 2.5" hdd.
>>
>>54281567
>>54279157
I don't use a 2.5 since it would rely too heavy on the usb for power I use a 3.5" 3tb external with its own power supply with no issues
>>
Pi zero in stock again when
>>
>>54282219
Dont get a zero lol
You need to get ao much with it
>>
>>54285943
Completely depends on what you intend to do with it. All I've got to do with mine is solder on an RCA cable
>>
>>54286213
Yes ofcourse and a zero is cool for small projects for duinos to lack ability and pies to be too big. but yea just no
>>
WTF did I do wrong. I ran this to write ubuntu-mate rpi version on microsd

>unxz ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz

>sudo ddrescue -D --force ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img /dev/sdc

And now the card has random characters. Unmounted and remounted and now it shows volume is fucked. WTF did I do wrong?

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ <---Instruction I was following.
>>
>>54277164
Rasbian
>>
I'm using mine as a programmer for Atmel microcontrollers.
Had some trouble finding an actual programmer that wasn't too expensive then I realised I had a raspberry pi 2 which was collecting dust which works pretty well.

I just wish compatible LCD screens weren't expensive as fuck.
>>
>>54287928
They are like 10 dollars from aliexpress
>>
>>54277668
i have one setup as a repo for serving my custom preferences cause im constantly setting up new linux machines, that and it acts as a storage dump for when im out and about.
>>
Anyone know if any of the single board computers out there are adequate as a desktop replacement?

Best one I found is the Odroid XU4, but it has a shitty fan on it.
>>
Thinking of ordering an orange pi pc to cut down on the power bill.

Just want a basic desktop pc that barely uses any power, is it powerful enough for tabbed web browsing on Linux?

Which distro is fastest? Can I overclock easily?
>>
>>54288676
>is it powerful enough for tabbed web browsing

You're gonna need a supercomputer for that
>>
I want to get a rpi zero, to put inside of my desktop pc, to control some rgb led strips.

Is this a really terrible idea or just mid-tier terrible and feasible?
>>
>>54289199
:(
>>
>>54277164
install gentoo?
>>
>>54289287
an arduino would be way better
>>
So I want to get either a pi 3, or banana for nas control or ftp. Which one would you /g/uise recommend? I know pi has slightly higher cpu mhz and 2 additional usb ports.
>>
>>54290611
This.

If you want to do microcontroller things, get an Arduino.

If you want to compute things, get a pi.
>>
I just got mine a few days ago, it's a surprisingly powerful little machine.
>>
>>54286907
Figured it out. I dd(ed) to sdc1 and not sdc.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>still buying raspi after being turned on to odroid
>>
>>54281894
>3.5" 3tb external
Would that not defeat the purpose of sata? I hope you're not talking about USB3
>>
>>54277668
>openelec
I would opt for OSMC over Openelec.
Openelec get's barely updated and isn't at the latest Kodi version.
That and with OSMC you can actually install other stuff on it with apt-get
My rpi is currently running Deluge, an smb share and planning on making it a full blown Samba AD, next to Kodi
>>
So I've discovered that the GUI package manager app in Raspbian is a bit flaky and it's much better to use apt.

Take my word for it.
>>
>>54277164>>54289287
I'm using an arduino to filter low, mids, and highs from a song and then map it to 10m of RGB. I'm using a raspberry pi and an amazon echo to make it voice controlled.

I'm using a electrical relay to PWM the lights. You could probably get away with transistors if you are only putting lights in your case.
>>
>>54294284
>Mali™-450 GPU

enjoy your useless piece of silicon. also fuck ARM for not releasing proper drivers
>>
>>54294715
You are confusing Mali 450, a real gpu with support for opengl with the shit in a raspi "videocore" with proprietary broadcom garbage.

Nice baito senpai.
>>
>>54294830
lel. Videocore IV is essentially the only SoC GPU with a proper documentation and a fully functional opensource driver. Mali trash relies on a closed source blob that only works with ancient kernel versions. and the open Lima driver is essentially dead since 2013. the only chance is using libhybris with the android binaries... good luck doing that and enjoy a half-broken system with "muh performance"
>>
>>54295299
PowerVR SGX540 also has a fully functional open source driver
>>
What would be the optimal distro and torrent client for setting up a RasPi as a seedbox?
>>
bampu
>>
>>54296323
Just stick to Raspbian like everybody else you memester.
>>
>>54277668
Running openvpn because coffee shop wifi
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.