[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Securely deleting SSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: 01_ssd_hdd.jpg (51 KB, 443x353) Image search: [Google]
01_ssd_hdd.jpg
51 KB, 443x353
What are effective approaches to securely cleaning up "permanently" deleted data on an SSD?

Is it possible to recover a deleted block after the firmware overwrites it?
If so, would filling the SSD to the brim by copy-pasting a large file work (since all blocks marked "empty" will be overwritten)?

Discuss.
>>
>>54275094
Drop the SSD in a volcano, they will never get your data.
>>
>>54275094
Nearly impossible because you don't have access to the spare area.
The only solution is to use 100% encryption, ALWAYS.
>>
>>54275094
Shove it up your ass.
>>
>>54275094
Just fill it with zeroes once, data is stored digitally so if you overwrite the whole drive once you can't tell what there used to be before.

On HDDs data is stored analogically as sound that the drives internals then transform into a digital signal. You can sort of tell what there used to be on the drive this way so it's harder to "securely" delete it.

>>54275104
>>54275117
>>54275126
wew
kys
>>
>>54275094
Carefully disassemble and then smash with a hammer. If anyone wants to go through the effort of recovering data from that, you're probably wanted for international crimes or some shit and deserve it.
>>
>>54275117
Wouldn't filling up the drive to the brim (so that all spare blocks are deleted and rewritten) work?
>>
File: blend.jpg (18 KB, 512x287) Image search: [Google]
blend.jpg
18 KB, 512x287
>>54275094
There is only one way.
>>
>>54275094
whole disk encryption or better : ssd's are far easier to irrecoverably destroy. Just melt those silicon chips and be done with it. all you need is a lighter
>>
Your best bet is to use full disk encryption and then secure removing the MBR.
>>
Let windows do a fast format. Quick and secure.
>>
>>54275157
This has to be bait
>>
>>54275094

Filling it with ones and zeros is mostly ok. Its extremely unlikely they can recover that. However drives have extra space on them so as some space goes bad the drive automatically switches to the other space.

None of us really know if something is built in to hide certain data in those extra spaces like encryption keys or the like.

In the end if I was really concerned I would torch the fucker after opening it. Thermite as much as it is a meme would work if you arent stupid.

If it was just random crap and I was selling it I would do an over right and feel ok. Especially since I use encrypted drive anyway and that would be a double barrier to recovery.
>>
>>54275094
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=1M
>>
>>54275970
It's half bait.

DoD overwrite is 3? passes with 0s, 1s, and random characters.

Supposedly, some fancy fellows like Drive Savers, or the FBI could theoretically use some kind of forensic tools to see residual writings on overwritten data - but nothing you could download would be able to recover that kind of information.
>>
>>54275094
Thermite
>>
>>54275175
Do you know the meaning of the term ‘spare’?
>>
>>54275094
SSDs are much easier to destroy than HDDS, so just take the mechanical route
>>
Should stop watching cp, op.
>>
File: 2380677-204-hank-hill-whatever.jpg (28 KB, 208x210) Image search: [Google]
2380677-204-hank-hill-whatever.jpg
28 KB, 208x210
>>54275094
>What is formating
Wow is /g/ really this retarded?
>>
>>54275582
> remove the MBR
> still using MBR
>>
>>54279085
It almost sounds like ur new, anon
>>
>>54279085
>he doesn't know that a simple format just hide the data waiting for more data to overwrite the previous one
>>
File: dk04.jpg (27 KB, 350x275) Image search: [Google]
dk04.jpg
27 KB, 350x275
>>54279085
You are here
>>
File: tumblr_lk3f49OQEC1qexdboo1_500.gif (490 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lk3f49OQEC1qexdboo1_500.gif
490 KB, 500x280
>>54279128
>he doesn't know that OP is talking about an ssd not hdd.
>he doesn't know that ssd doesn't overwrite data like an hdd
>>
Whenever I need to erase an SSD to sell it I always do an ATA secure erase from SystemRescueCd with hdparm.
>>
nuke that motherfucker with dban. It shouldn't take long, modern 256GB SSDs will be nuked in like 10-15 minutes. Simply "formatting" won't do anything. A single pass of 0s is more than enough tjough you can do a DoD 3-pass if you're paranoid.
>>
>>54275094
secure SATA erase command
can be done from parted magic
>>
>>54275094
If you want to re-use the drive:

1. Instruct the firmware to perform a secure erase (google it)
2. Overwrite the entire drive with multiple passes of pseudorandom data (don't use fixed patterns or all zeroes). Either dd if=/dev/urandom, or if you want it to actually be fast, use dm-crypt.

If you want to completely destroy the drive, also consider:

3. Open up the drive and destroy all the chips with a power drill or dremel. Dispose in pieces.

4. Melt the entire drive using thermite. (If you're completely paranoid)
>>
>>54278866
>implying it's that easy... ;(
>>
>>54277934
Does not work with an SSD since there's some more flash blocks in it than the capacity of the drive, and they get remapped rather than overwritten when you do that.

If you trust the SSD's firmware, TRIM the sectors you want to delete, or use the ATA_SECURE_DELETE command. If you don't, physical destruction is the only way. Unlike a HDD you cannot overwrite stuff securely.
>>
>>54279230
>he thinks he can write to every bit in an ssd
Kek
>>
>>54275094
Use the trim secure wipe command. You can't actually wipe it any other way without destroying the ssd.
>>
you can always put your ssd through a blender if you want to get rid of the stuff on it.
>>
>>54280251
But anon, Blender is for 3D rendering, not data destruction.
>>
can u use dban on an ssd?
>>
>>54280286
You can but it won't truly securely wipe it. It'll also needlessly waste rewrite cycles.
>>
Use the manufacturer's utility to securely erase the SSD. This will either:

A) Erase all of the flash memory properly. (Your average 3rd party HDD eraser does not know how to do this on a SSD and will not work.)

B) Erase the 256-bit key on controllers that use AES256 encryption. (Those controllers generally encrypt all data whether you use a firmware password or not. So erasing the key is as good as erasing the drive.)

C) All of the above.

>what if I don't trust the manufacturer?

Burn it with fire.
>>
>>54280277
nice one
>>
ata secure erase?
>>
>>54275094
Just use the SATA SecureErase command.
>>
>>54276026
>>54278751
>>54279365

I've never understood this obsession with thermite, it's not particularly great at destroying things and tends to be dangerous and difficult to contain.
Melting would be better achieved by removing the platter and carefully attacking it with an oxyacetylene torch, or placing it in some kiln or other refractory device.

I personally am attracted by the idea of digesting the storage medium with some aggressive oxidising agent or other obnoxious chemicals.
>>
i see this question all the time if your really worried about it not being cleean just burn the bitch its cheaper to buy a new one than paying the fines for whatever you fags hide in your computers deep storage....
>>
>>54281066
>not particularly great at destroying things
it's pretty fucking great, tbqh
>>
you don't buy SSD's for that in the first place
you never know if the firmware will actually delete anything or store certain amounts of data somewhere else (samsung has 1GB DRAM, you can imagine what can that do), what I do is encrypt an USB drive and desolder chip / grind and scatter it around the sea to dispose of it
>>
You could Dban it
>>
ATA Secure Erase.
>>
Microwave it.
>>
What do you guys do that would make you want to destroy drives?

I swear 4chan is full of fucking pedos.
>>
>>54275157
what about SSDs without firmware compliant with new self wiping standards?
>>
>>54282430
Sorry your life is so dull and eventless you don't have to hide anything (and I don't mean CP)
>>
>>54275117
Correct. This way the plaintext only ever exists in memory. In addition, you can easily "wipe the disk" by erasing the header (that contains the surrogate key).
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.