[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Web Development Languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: js.png (2 KB, 141x160) Image search: [Google]
js.png
2 KB, 141x160
What languages would you recommend to learn for a beginner web developer? There are so many different ones, which are good to start with?
>>
>>54274126
HTML
>>
>>54274126
Assembly
>>
>>54274134
Aside from the obvious HTML & CSS I mean.
>>
>>54274126
HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Find a backend web framework for your favorite programming language (Node.js for Javascript, Django for Python, etc.) and just start practicing.
>>
File: 1456083443200.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1456083443200.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>54274143
>>
>>54274126
angularjs and bootstrap for frontend
java with spring for backend
>>
Bootsrap, Jquery, Wordpress and React.
>>
php
>>
>>54274126
As a beginner you shouldn't start by learning frameworks and stuff - these were built to take repetitve work off the developer, not to make things simpler for beginners.

Start with the basics: HTML, CSS, JS, PHP. PHP because it's the most used backend language and therefore the best choice if you one day want to do webdev as a job, but you can use whatever language you want there for personal projects.
>>
File: o'reilly.png (312 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
o'reilly.png
312 KB, 506x662
>>54274143
Came here to post this.
>>
Angular, react is supposedly good but can't speak for it. Stay the fuck away from Ruby on Rails, its hipster garbage.

A little related, whats the best way to make a horizontal UL with bootstrap
>>
>>54275749
kill yourself
>>
>>54275887
This
>>
>>54275026
This. Then move to Ruby / Node.js etc.
>>
>>54274126
JS and Node obviously.
>>
>>54274773
>java with spring
It's like you want to get aids
>>
HTML
CSS
JS
MySQL
PHP

These will be alive forever.You learn them, you learn the web.
>>
>>54278588
PHP only because it's established, but it's ripe for replacement.
>>
>>54278588
>PHP
>alive forever
>>
>>54278605
Everything is ripe for replacement.
>>
>>54279276
Not really
>>
HTML
CSS
JS
PHP
MYSQL

In that order. Everything else is meme tier
>>
File: top lel.jpg (1021 KB, 6144x3456) Image search: [Google]
top lel.jpg
1021 KB, 6144x3456
>>54279567
>PHP
>MYSQL
>>
File: tmPlzhO.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tmPlzhO.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
>>54279606
>NOSQL trash in a relational environment
>snail shit slow python
>hipster trash ruby
>Javascript server side
>>
File: 1461024237041.png (170 KB, 930x436) Image search: [Google]
1461024237041.png
170 KB, 930x436
>>54279679
>all those memes
just use Java/C# with some relational database that isn't shit
>>
Assuming back end here.

1. PHP & MySQL for the widest job market, especially for junior level positions.

2. Node.js if you live in San Francisco and enjoy working for a startup that may not be around next year.

3. Java if you want no social life and a high paying job at some agency that will ship you out to some corporate office in a fly over state for 6 weeks at at time.

4. Groovy and Grails if you're already stuck in #3, but you're planning on stealing your junior coworkers away to form your own agency with more sane working hours.
>>
>>54274126
Javascript, HTML and css (preprocessors would be good as well)

And then learn every library and framework that is popular
>>
File: 1460079018496.jpg (56 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
1460079018496.jpg
56 KB, 720x438
>>54279713
>java
jajajajajaja
>c#
>forced into Microsoft eco system
>piss pour Linux performance
>windows server
my_sides.tiff
>>
>>54279606
>>54279713
This is some straight retarded shit
>>
>>54279878
>>54279929
nice argument. there's really no alternative unless you want some slow dynamically typed mess
>>
>>54279967
>hurr fucking durr
Java is well known for being garbage as a web backend. The only time it's ever used is when a company wants to be cheap and only hire indian javamonkeys to code for them.
Java's even worse than using javascript as a backend

>nice argument
You didn't give one either shitsack
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (47 KB, 698x832) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
47 KB, 698x832
>>54280146
>no benchmark code
>not even a mention of the Java framework used
you're retarded for even posting that
https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/javascript.html
>>
>>54280301
>artificial benchmarks that have nothing to do with web backends, most of which aren't even run on both platforms
>versus paypal
You're really just making my points for me here
>>
>>54280504
that's how you measure the actual performance of the language. and those are actual benchmarks, not a powerpoint chart pulled out of the ass to please stakeholders. a language that's literally thousands times faster in well-made benchmarks isn't gonna be slower in any real world application
>>
>>54278567
>It's like you want to get a job

ftfy

And that's coming from somebody that doesn't like Java...
>>
>>54280623
>literally wasn't run on one of the competing languages in 4 out of 5 tests
>only one that actually ran on both was clearly broken
>all benchmarks were automatic conversions of ruby scripts
>well-made benchmark
>>
>>54274126
JSX
>>
>>54279606

PHP developers get paid crazy stupid amounts of money compared to the hipster who only knows django and node. I know you find it funny but that's just the reality.
>>
>>54275116

Last time I looked into it, https://www.grc.com/intro.htm was served up by hand-crafted assembly.
>>
>>54281626
I like java but spring uses 500mb per fucking instance it's insane. Even node keeps it under 100mb
>>
Learn Python/Django as it's the spiciest meme right now
>>
Perl is great for web dev eith cgi. You have to know html first, but html is very simple. Perl looks hard, but is actually fairly easy and a much better language than js, python, node, etc. You just need to dive right into a project and force yourself to learn it.
>>
>>54274126
hindi
>>
>>54283999
Where do I get easy online PHP jobs? How can I earn the stupid money?
>>
Is JavaScript OK for a first language?
>>
>>54274126
Well literally no matter what language you choose, you have to know HTML, CSS and Javascript.

So yes Javascript is a must, even if some hate it.

As for server side language, if you use nodejs, then you don't even have to learn anything else but javascript.

If you for good reason don't want to use js for server side. There are many choices and it really depends on what you want to do and what you like.
>>
Moonscript/Lapis
>>
>>54274773

Which angular? 1 or 2
>>
>>54274126
4 years in webdev here, not a whole lot but heres how I wished I did it:

Learn the fuck out of JavaScript, ignore frameworks until you can at least do DOM interaction and interact with REST APIs in vanilla Javascript. Ignore frameworks for the minute.
Especially for basic shit like a To Do list or whatever, the level of abstraction frameworks provide will leave you spending more time setting projects up alongside whatever standard they have. If you start with frameworks you'll end up googling "how to BASIC THING in angularJS" when there is a vanilla solution. Learn the foundations first and it will save you a shit ton of time down the line.

Then learn a backend language, whatever you want. PHP, Python, whatever. Even though it's not 'cool' anymore I would recommend PHP, you'll encounter it a lot and may as well learn them. Make a little full stack application, learn as much as you need to get by. Learn SQL too and put together a little full stack CRUD app, then add authentication and user profiles.

Then, learn to make a simple RESTful API for a basic set of data.

By this stage you'll be aware of what repetitive tasks frameworks and libraries handle for you, and be able to leverage them much more effectively, as well as having the skillset to tackle problems on your own if neccaserry.

Best of luck senpai!
>>
>>54290445
Also, alongside all this you are going to want to learn to use the terminal. Simple stuff like creating nested directories etc is really useful and helps you get shit done a lot faster, then build tools like Grunt and Gulp, Version control like Git, and Scaffolding tools like Yeoman are all at your fingertips too.
>>
>>54275026
>PHP because it's the most used backend language
Wrong.
>Best choice if you one day want to webdev as a job
That'd be Python, Ruby, or just learning HTML, CSS, and JS because node is a popular thing now.
>>
>>54279679
>PHP is faster than Python
When will this board change it's name to /tech-illiterate-liars/?
>>
>>54290445
You know of any good places to start to learn JS? I want to learn how to do JS and make a small website with a small database.
I don't know where to start and I am really busy with CS studies at uni.
I briefly checked out freecodecamp. com, it seemed OK. Have any recommendations or ideas?
>>
>>54290767
http://eloquentjavascript.net/
Book / Free EBook
Is pretty decent with examples and online solutions.
>>
>>54290445
I fell into a front end job where 95% of then time im writing/refactoring sass... thankfully gotten real hot with git and gulp etc.

I can do basic Dom Manip. and simple React components but im realising my JS is lackluster

Any resources you recommend for an intermediate?
>>
>>54290848
Thanks. Will look into it this summer. Really want to learn some webdev to make something useful and maybe some extra cash.
>>
>>54274126

HTML and CSS
>>
>>54274126
In this order

Javascript
jQuery
PHP
Nodejs
SQL
Angularjs
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.