[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So apparently submarines are capable of connecting to wide area
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: Papa_class_submarine_2.jpg (2 MB, 2979x2313) Image search: [Google]
Papa_class_submarine_2.jpg
2 MB, 2979x2313
So apparently submarines are capable of connecting to wide area networks from the sea.

I asked my cisco teacher how they do it and he couldn't tell me.

Does one guy have to get out and plug it in?
>>
>>54273018
It's probably a satellite based connection, since submarine Internet is quite slow
>>
>>54273049
damn i thought they were hooking up to the cables under the sea.

That makes a lot of sense, fucking submarines.
>>
They just use the undersea cables. They tap them for mass surveillance anyway.
>>
>>54273018
Your cisco teacher doesnt know about wireless and satellites?
>>
>>54273098
No they do have under sea cable splicing

Only things satellites do is cellphone, TV, GPS, etc. NOT Internet (generally). The ping time for satellite internet connections make it fairly unusable for anything requiring fast smooth cm consistent connection.

Most of the Internet is made up of large undersea fibreoptic cables. Of course the US has submarines that can interdict these cables.
>>
>>54273149
It's interesting to know these types of technologies work. I mean you can't send out wireless signals under the sea. There would need to be a direct connection from the undersea cable to the submarine.
>>
Cisco? More like cis scum
>>
>>54273149
Satellite internet does exist...
>>
>>54273236
Radio has a tough time penetrating water.
>>
>>54273018
I wonder if you can use sonar for data transfer at a decent rate...
>>
>>54273236
Why the fuck do you think I said (generally). It exists but less than 1% of Internet traffic is satellite.
>>
>>54273196
Yes they have been doing it since the late 60s or early 70s. You can read more about it on wiki.
>>
>>54273348
>During the Cold War, the United States Navy and National Security Agency (NSA) succeeded in placing wire taps on Soviet underwater communication lines in Operation Ivy Bells.

haha damn at it against NSA
>>
>>54273018

Probably, I imagine there's an RJ45 port on the outside and a diver just gets out and plugs it into the router under the sea.
>>
>>54273098
That would be highly inefficient as they have to do that often
>>
>>54273703
COULD YOU IMAGINE?

i wonder if they decide who goes out there by drawing straws
>>
>>54273740
That's exactly how it's done, they literally splice into the undersea cables using a specially modified submarine with a mission bay specifically made for the job. Anyone saying satellite is literally retarded. If they were using satellite there would be no need to use a submarine as you can point a satellite anywhere.
>>
>>54273811
the whole point of a submarine is to go undetected
>>
>>54273858
Yea, that's why they splice the cable. They can put a monitoring device on the cable and come back to retrieve it later, or they can do live tapping and record everything passing through while they're hooked up.

The submarine they use has even been modified with more advanced stabilizing thrusters to allow it to stay VERY still when connected to the cable.
>>
>>54273049
is shit indeed, but is not like you have to be on 24/7
>>
>>54273018
They have a buoy with a router on it.
>>
>>54273907
do you shitpost professionally or are you just unemployed?
>>
I doubt it, there would be a ridiculous amount of interfering noise.
>>
>>54275276
Shit posting at work anon, learn to prioritize.
>>
802.11b via sonar, obvs
>>
>>54273149
>Only things satellites do is cellphone, TV, GPS, etc. NOT Internet (generally).

These guys would like a word with you: http://www.satpoint.se/
>>
same with boats, it's nothing fancy boi
>>
>>54275591
>reading comprehension

Why the fuck do you think I said (generally). As I already said in a previous post, internet traffic via satellite is less than 1% of total internet traffic.
>>
>>54273018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milstar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wideband_Global_SATCOM
>>
>>54273278
At a decent rate? Yes, in theory. In practice, no.
>>
>>54273018
They communicate like whales since sound propagates more efficiently under water. They exploit the natural language of the whales to trick the whales into acting as relay devices. The actual information is embedded in the whale language as a form of steganographic encoding. For the encoding and decoding they need a D-W/W-D converter that is usually placed as far from the reactor core as possible to increase the WNR (Whale-to-noise ratio). A major breakthrough was the invention of Salmon codes, which made compression of these signals much more efficient.
>>
Holy shit, this thread is so retarded I can feel losing points in IQ just for reading it.

This is why I left 4chan.
>>
>>54273018
They need to figth the shark of freedom first
>>
Serious question, can Submarines actually wiretap the fiber cables that are in the bottom of the sea?
>>
>>54275988
yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ivy_Bells

that is just one of several operations during the cold war era, there are of course modern operations on going that are highly classified.
>>
>>54273149
>Most of the Internet is made up of large undersea fibreoptic cables. Of course the US has submarines that can interdict these cables.
I was under the impression you cant vampire clamp FO cables
>>
>>54275988
yes and they've been doing so for years
both the US and Soviets (new Russia)
it's mostly used to spy on communications between another nation and their contacts in your own (embassies, spies, homegrown sellouts)
>>
>>54276011
Shit that's crazy. I wonder if USA and Russia have permanent submarines on the bottom of the sea wiretapping the cables.
>>
>>54276017
The shielding on an undersea cable would make this difficult, though that's basically what they're doing.
>>
>>54276011
>cold war era cables
>FO
nah
>>
>>54273278
No. you're literally using sound waves to send data.
Sound is slow as fuck.
>>
>>54275585
How about long wave radio?
Submarines usually have a long cable coming out at the end, like a tail. It's an antenna used for 200 to 500 kHz. Low frequencies can go through water more easy than high frequencies.
>>
>>54276064
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jimmy_Carter_(SSN-23)

>Carter has additional maneuvering devices fitted fore and aft that will allow her to keep station over selected targets in odd currents. Past submarines outfitted this way were used to tap undersea cables, to intercept communications of foreign countries. Intelligence experts speculate that the MMP may find use in similar missions as an underwater splicing chamber for Optical fiber cables.
>>
>>54276110
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jimmy_Carter_(SSN-23)

We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false
>>
>>54276232
good come back... the sub exists, the 100ft extension exists and it has been hinted elsewhere by the US it has the capabilities to tap fiber optic cables.

Do you honestly think it's bullshit? I mean i'm not saying they tap cables all day everyday for fun, but they obviously have the capability to tap the cables if they need/want to.
>>
>>54275813
Kek
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_with_submarines
>>
While specially fitted subs *can* splice cables they don't do it for general coms. If a sub needs to make contact they ascend to a certain depth, and release a buoy that has satcom equipment in it. Since the ocean is a fuckhuge place they can do this without too much expectation of the buoy being seen.

Once this is done, they dive again to their standard operating depth and continue on mission. This is how submariners get their email, officers communicate with fleet HQ, weather reports are received, ect. Military satcom can be very fast (for satellites) because they use a 1 or 2 bounce system depending on the distance to the target.
>>
>>54273018
>how to tell if you should switch majors or not
>>
>>54273018
>hey ivan you're turn to splice the cable!
>ok
>opens hatch
>sub implodes
>>
>>54275585
>whale makes whale noises
>packet being sent turns into CP because of the noise from the whale
>operator arrested for viewing CP in submarine
>>
>>54273018

Submariner here

This guy is correct: >>54273049
>>
>>54276067
no I'm not talking about ping, only bandwidth
>>
>>54273261
Vlf has no problems with that
>>
>>54277861
not to back him up, as it's unrelated, but assuming you mean "sound" as in "in the human audible range", that's less than 20KHz, not really a lot to go with
to compare, plain 2.4GHz WiFi is uses 22MHz wide channels, over 1000 times wider
>>
>>54273149
The Carter has special bays just for tapping into those cables
>>
>>54273018

Russians have been hanging around cables and strategic cable intersections for a few months now. Top brass is worried all Internet will be ded if a war breaks out.

We should be more worried not how they are being tapped, but when will they be cut.
>>
>>54273286
you can buy a satellite wifi modem that does 56K for like a thousand bucks now
>>
vampire tap morons
>>
>>54278134
I don't think that works with fiber?
>>
They have their own [spoiler]subnet[/spoiler]
>>
>>54278190
yeah it works specifically with fiber. And they have more specialized equipment for large undersea fiber cables.
>>
File: x34DtcK.jpg (319 KB, 1500x996) Image search: [Google]
x34DtcK.jpg
319 KB, 1500x996
>>54276043
Russia mapped all the underwater network and has a load of Akula hunter subs ready to take it down in case of WW3.
Then the Typhoons fire ICBMs when the defense network is down.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (258 KB, 1600x1140) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
258 KB, 1600x1140
>>54278297
Man, those Akula and Typhoon class subs are pure sex.
>>
their satellite connections are p fast now compared to before. our SSN averaged about 10.5mbps
>>
>>54278254
Oh u
>>
>>54278973
ping times are the concern, you can always give more bandwidth with better tech, you can never improve the ping time. (excluding the possibility of quantum networking equipment)
>>
>>54273149
>Of course the US has submarines that can interdict these cables.
For over 100 years trunk cables of all sorts have been pressurised. A drop in pressure indicates a break in the sheath.
Finding the brealk is simply a matter of using pulse echo reflectometry to find the change in impedence and calculating where it is.
This is how we did it for coax LANs, I'd imagine it's much more automated these days.
>>
>>54280247
you can pinpoint it within a few miles using the land based landing points for the undersea cables, however for precise location you have to send a ship out near the location in question.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.