[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you donated yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
Have you donated yet?
>>
File: 1322798589021.jpg (44 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
1322798589021.jpg
44 KB, 600x603
>for free
>>
>>54272367
look at the size of that fucking thing.
>>
let some corporation donate. People use wikipedia at work. Those companies should pay for wiki server cost when employee accesses wikipedia
>>
No sorry, I already donated my entire paycheck to Bernie this month
>>
>>54272367
I legitimately wanted to donate to Wikipedia but their donation methods are all scow.

I then asked support@wikimedia about it and they gave me a bizarro tech support non-response.

So fuck wikipedia, if they need me to donate they can work on implementing donation methods I can use.
>>
$50? Last time it was $3. Have their costs gone up that much?
>>
>>54272457
This
is the image fake?
>>
>>54272420
that's what she said
>>
>>54272457
>MXN

OP is a mexifag.
>>
No, but I'm torn over it.
Donating to Wikipedia means voicing support for the sorry state it is now, and propping up the ruling elites.
On the other hand, if the Foundation gets close to shutting down due to a lack of donations, it will sell out and quality will take a sure dip due to corporate benefactors intervening.

It could also end up well like the TV Tropes fragmentation did, but that sounds too good to be true for something as large as Wikipedia.
>>
>>54272367
>MXN

Try harder OP.

As an aside, no I haven't donated. Not because I'm strictly against it, but because they do not have a sufficiently good system for the curation and maintenance of factually rigorous articles (especially those within the mathematical sciences).

>>54272527
I think the idea of crowdsourcing an encyclopedia is a sensible way to develop a foundation of knowledge, or, at least, a sufficient list of topics (which is hard in itself). At this stage a professional review process of current content needs to be undertaken, and perhaps this would be best achieved via the launch of closed-access, high quality, area-specific encyclopedias, for which users would be expected to pay a subscription. These would function as academically curated reference works, and the content would have to be credible.
>>
File: 132784653113.jpg (56 KB, 887x874) Image search: [Google]
132784653113.jpg
56 KB, 887x874
>jimbo makes enough off running ads on wikia to afford a private jet
Don't you think that if Wikipedia were as desperate for money as it made itself out to be, their string of miraculously successful donation campaigns would have failed by now? They ask for money as an alternative source of funding so Jumbo doesn't have to redirect as many shekels from Wikia.
>>
>>54272367
Meh, fuck them. I curious about what would happen if this stopped existing. Maybe it needs to die so people can do more than two clicks to research something.
>>
>>54272803
I think more specialized wikis would pop up. Which is nice I suppose.
>>
>>54272367
why?? I dont even use wikipedia. I visit it 2-3 times per year at most.
>>
>>54273330
They'd probably be as shitty as wikia

Adblock doesn't work on my phone so any time I go there I get a full page ad and two video ads playing without sound in the background. I apparently really need to play overwatch.
>>
>>54273392
..and whats worst, it mostly spams my google search results. always freaking wikipeadia on top. i hope it dies.
>>
File: 1383839745185.jpg (50 KB, 377x538) Image search: [Google]
1383839745185.jpg
50 KB, 377x538
last i've heard, the wikimedia foundation had mad dosh reserves. also, 50$ seems hella steep and even with all blocking disabled, i'm not seeing any kind of call for donation on wikipedia.
>>
File: not for profit.jpg (158 KB, 954x727) Image search: [Google]
not for profit.jpg
158 KB, 954x727
reminder that less than 5% of your donation goes to hosting the server and the rest is spent lining the pockets of the board
>>
I'll donate one dollar
>>
>>54273453
delete this goy.. it all goes to the staff? who do you think writes all those articles??
>>
File: 1372675002048.jpg (26 KB, 324x405) Image search: [Google]
1372675002048.jpg
26 KB, 324x405
>>54272367
>Peep show
Nice!
>>
>>54273454
ONE FUCKING DOLLAR
>>
>>54273503
NOT AN ARGUMENT
>>
>donate
>continue on reading
>go to a new page
>it's back
>"plz donate"

See now this is why I no longer donate to anything. Because when you do donate it makes NO DIFFERENCE. They still beg from you. It's bad enough I can't walk into a grocery store without being nagged by some veteran charity and a child cancer charity at the door but then when I'm checking out the cashier asks me if i'd like to donate my change to help some jiggaboo kids in Africa that are starving due to their civilisation prefers to throw spears at each other including any help that arrives. Then I fucking get into my car and drive home but come to a stop light where I have some pan handler with a GOD DAMN FUCKING SIGN over there body asking for me to give them FUCKING CHANGE. You think I have fucking change? Do you? I fucking don't because the cashier already had his hand over the donation box with my change before I said anything so I was forced more or less to give it all up. So now I have to fucking sift through the console and any my seat scrapping up change because this pan handler outside of my window is loud and obnoxious dancing next to my car shaking a FUCKING maraca. Then I get home and decide to do a little googling and come across Wikipedia and there it is.... "DER RADERS PLZ DOANATE TO HELP MY AWFYL SIDEJERBS I DO LOLZ I LIKE WASTING UR MONEY HEHEEHE XDDDDD"

Fuck it guys, I'm out, i'm done
>>
>>54273567
So just use any of the thousands of plugins that block the plz donate.
>>
>>54273474
The community
>>
>>54272420
ur mum when she saw u in the family house after 20 years of ur birth, broh
>>
>>54272470
ur mum when she saw u in the family house after 20 years of ur birth, broh
the post before me was just my autist brother
>>
>>54273330
this

something like the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy but for other fields. Written by actual pros.
>>
>>54273567
Look, you faggot, Wikipedia gives you free shit. Every time you type them into your URL bar and press enter, you effectively mechanically beg their server for free shit. They're now asking you to give them free shit, specifically your money. If you're paying money for the sake of removing a fucking little blue box that could be removed by clicking a few buttons, you're retarded. It's asking for money so it can keep giving you the shit you like, you god damn freeloader.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.