[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Linux have such shit printer support for? There seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
Why does Linux have such shit printer support for? There seems to be zero support for Canon printers under Linux!
>>
>>54255456
>>54255456
complaint to canon
>>
Because you don't know what you're doing
>>
CUPS is pretty decent.
>>
GNU/Linux has the best printer support of all OS's.
Learn to use cups and look into printing servers.
>>
>>54255510
shame that KEKS is maintained by apple
>>
>>54255517
>GNU/Linux has the best printer support of all OS's

That's a funny way to spell OS X. Apple invented CUPS.
>>
>>54255537
No, they bought it
>>
>>54255537
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS
sure...
>>
>>54255456
That's a fox trap. A bear trap would snap his arm in two.
>>
>>54255537

In February 2007, Apple Inc. hired chief developer Michael Sweet and purchased the CUPS source code.

Apple bought it
>such innovation by Apple
>>
>>54255537
>Apple invented
No reason to even read further, these two words together are already always false.
>>
HP Printers work really well though
>>
the first time i used linux back in 2004 i remember being amazed it just werked with my parallel printer that didn't even have windows xp drivers

>>54255794
most printer manufacturers put out linux drivers nowadays, if only for embedded print servers that run on linux
>>
Recommend me a decent home printer that's linux compatible /g/ I need a new one.
>>
>>54255456
>There seems to be zero support for Canon printers under Linu

install the gutenprint package you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>54256650
HP has a good support under linux though their drivers are propietary
>>
>>54255456
tbf nothing has decent printer support
>>
>>54258112
These, those are hardware vendors after all.
>>
>>54255456
because why would you develop anything for a bunch of poorfags that refuse to pay for anything? Just throw your company in the garbage if you want to do that.
>>
>>54255456

OP is retarded I'm using a 4 year old wifi Canon printer/scanner and all i did was go to their website for the driver
>>
My Canon printer I got at the store for like $17 connects to the network and therefore no drivers needed on any machine to make it work
>>
I'm using a Canon MP499 in Debian. The printer and scanner both work. So the Linux support does exist.

I had to download the drivers from Canon's European site for some reason, and the drivers will only work in Debian or *buntu.
>>
>>54255456
>Why does Linux have such shit printer support for? There seems to be zero support for Canon printers under Linux!

All of my Canon, HP and Epson printers have worked with linux using ethernet, wifi or usb. The scanners also work so you must be doing something wrong.
>>
cups-bjnp for network
>>
>>54255456
did he died
>>
>>54255456
>filename.gif
why?
>>
i love when people blame shit on linux when in reality the problem is them or their vendor
>>
>>54262975
i love when people blame shit on users or their vendor when in reality the problem is linux
>>
Cajon MG6100 printer/scanner fully supported. Had to download scanner drivers from Japanese Canon site though.
>>
>>54255456
>There seems to be zero support for Canon printers under Linux!
There seems to be zero support for anything under Linux
>>
>>54258280
He didn't use cups.
>>
>>54255456
>native full support on all canon printers = no support
>meanwhile wangblows users are lucky to find a driver after hours of searching
>>
>>54255456
>zero support for canon
lolwut??

> boot ubuntu
> plug in printer
> go to printers in preferences
> push add printer
> printer detected and drivers installed.
> push print

wtf is the problem OP?

In fact, its faster than in Windows because when you push print under linux it fucking prints, when you push print under Windows, it will do some shitty ass function for 2 minutes and then complain about ink levels before printing.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.