[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are portrait monitors actually that good or are they a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
Are portrait monitors actually that good or are they a meme?
>>
They're a meme.

You know what's not a meme?

The jews. Fuck them.
>>
>>54245749
Isn't a portrait monitor just a normal monitor turned 90 degrees?

I use two 2560x1440 IPS displays, one portrait, one landscape (same hardware). The vertical one is great for 4chan, terminals, reading, comics, etc.
>>
>>54245749
depends on your workflow, if you are programming or doing work on documents that requires a lot of vertical real estate (anything that would require lots of scrolling) then it can be quite handy.

But besides that it's mostly a meme.
>>
>>54245749
They're fine but, really, 1440 or more lines of resolution is plenty for most tasks, and you monitor should have no less than 1440 lines anyway.
>>
>>54245761
9fag tier humour. Kill yourself.
>>
File: memeitors.png (4 KB, 475x349) Image search: [Google]
memeitors.png
4 KB, 475x349
>>54245786
I've been considering something like this for college dorms so I can take up less space without sacrificing monitors.

Right now I have three landscape monitors in a row and a landscape television above the center monitor, usually use the center monitor for playing games and running applications that I'm working on like photoshop, SketchUp etc, the left monitor is used for browsing the web, the right monitor has my voip program on it, and I used the TV for watching videos.

Thinking I'll use my my bottom right monitor for games and applications, my top right monitor for voip and videos and then the portrait monitor for web browsing and typing papers. Then either not bring the TV at all or use it as an actual TV mounted on a different wall and not as part of monitor set up.
>>
File: 1443817621381.jpg (77 KB, 800x748) Image search: [Google]
1443817621381.jpg
77 KB, 800x748
>>54245761
Found the underage.
>>
I use a surface pro 3 and I use it held in one hand while fapping to vertical pics
>>
>>54245866
don't do it, you'll hate yourself.

three goes with one horizontal in the middle, two vertical on either side.
>>
>>54245749
I have a 24" monitor that rotates to portrait and it's pretty much a huge pain to actually use it like that. Mostly because I find myself having to look up to see the top of the screen. The monitor has to be way farther back. Or just smaller.
>>
It is a meme unless you use one of those monitor arms to angle it properly downwards and freely manipulate its position.
If the above is achieved, then it is the best mode for:
- Book/Document reading
- Comic/Mangoo shit
- Browsing
- Programing
- Music playlists i guess?

That's all i can think of.
>>
>>54245749
I tried it out today. Standard 24" + 15" portrait monitor combo.

Felt awkward as heck.
>>
Maybe when all we had was 1024x768, but nowadays when 1920x1080 are $70 you can fit two or three pretty large columns of text comfortably in a widescreen monitor.
>>
>>54247800
>>54246377
>>54245786
>>54245784
as you can see by these responses, there is nothing "meme" about it.

its not a joke, its not a lie, its not a trick.

there are a lot of real world advantages for using a portrait monitor. if you do not actively participate in any of those scenarios, then you simply dont need to have one.

not needing something doesnt mean its a fucking meme.

god i fucking hate that word and all you fucking children that cant think for yourself.

tl;dr: stop using the word meme you fucking nitwit. use a portrait monitor if having more vertical space will be advantageous to activities you regularly partake in.

CHRIST
>>
>>54245749
Good for reading comics and pdfs but for programming and web browser I prefer landscape.
It's probably a meme since the majority /g/ probably don't read comics or pdfs.
>>
I use both my monitors as landscape sometimes
Its the best way to view most websites including 4chan and news websites
>>
>>54246377
only time I've used the swivel to be honest
mostly because it's a TN panel and the colors get fucked, if had an ips I would run one in portrait
>>
It's good for 9gag. Less scrolling, more content.
>>
>>54248692
>9gag
>content
>>
>>54247995

This anon reached the moment of awakening, the moment one realized that by going to this website, you choose autists as your peers.
>>
File: four monitors.png (294 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
four monitors.png
294 KB, 600x384
>>54247338
See I was thinking something like pic related but without the right monitor, have the main monitor be centered on the desk and the portrait and top landscape angled inwards.

I don't have a use for more than one portrait monitor at all.
>>
Good for shmups or manga, I guess.
>>
>>54245749

Ive used them for coding and a screen to edit config files on.

Also people who do things like magazines love them.
>>
>>54245749
i want to play dodonpachi on that.
>>
>>54245749
16:10 + 3:4 officerace.
>>
>>54245749
It's nice having one on the side, but not as a main monitor.
>>
File: monitor set ups.png (7 KB, 987x286) Image search: [Google]
monitor set ups.png
7 KB, 987x286
>>54247338
What about something like this
>>
>>54247995
>falling for the meme meme
>>
>>54246261
Found the down syndrome.
>>
>>54247995
>CHRIST

Nice meme, friend ;^)
>>
File: battlestation.jpg (127 KB, 1840x1224) Image search: [Google]
battlestation.jpg
127 KB, 1840x1224
>>54249267
>>54249441
heh
>>
Meme.
>>
>>54250034
>Falling for the meme meme meme
>>
>>54245749
I found that it made casual web browsing significantly more comfortable, as all websites are designed vertically (cuz phones) and they look SO much more natural on a portrait monitor. I actually got it for my music production software, having my vst's stacked vertically on the portrait and me sequencer on the regular monitor, but was pleasantly surprised by how much on my computer was better suited for vertical viewing. That being said, if you want a second monitor so you can watch videos while you game, it's a terrible idea.
>>
What are good and cheap rotating monitors ?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.