[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one good reason to get a second monitor !
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
Give me one good reason to get a second monitor !
>>
convenience? No one's saying you have to BUY a 2nd monitor, but if you want one just find a cheap 1024x768 monitor to view processes and such with
>>
>>54230128
2>1 dummy, ergo it has more value.
>>
>>54230128
You can shitpost and have youtube up.

>>54230348
1024x768 turned on its side is an amazing chat/viewing shit monitor. Had one as my 3rd but now its in my closet
>>
>>54230128
It's the cheapest way to get the most screen real estate out of your desktop.

If you don't need screen real estate, you're not doing real work.
>>
>>54230400
wish I still had my old one, could've used it. I'm hitting a stage where I'm starting to make use of old shit in my house
>>
>>54230128
I had 7 before, but that was well past the point of diminishing returns. I am at 4 right now, and it works great.
>>
>>54230447
Hit up goodwill. They usually have cheap old monitors.
>>
>>54230462
tfw when you find out there's a technology recycling plant 15 minutes from your house that sells old shit cheap af :)

they sold me a 500gb ide hard drive for $20 that's in my ps2 atm
>>
>>54230424
>If you don't need screen real estate, you're not doing real work.
Correction: If you don't need screen real estate, you're not using your computer at all.

I mean if you literally only browse Facebook you'd be fine with one monitor. As soon as you run two programs that are even tangentially related to each other, you can benefit from two.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-25_20-22-19.png (32 KB, 304x236) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-25_20-22-19.png
32 KB, 304x236
>>54230484
Nice, I wish that there was something like that near me but i already spend too much money on ebay shit anyways.

Also, what the fuck is this captcha
>>
>>54230521
>2016
>Giving Google all your personal info
>>
It's so nice and once you get a second you can never go back to one.
>>
I went into an office a few weeks ago and everyone had two monitors in which they had one window maximized on each one.
>>
>>54230128

One in portrait mode, one in landscape. Both ae 24" 1920x1200.

My portrait is the main boot monitor from which I use web browser, compose/edit documents and about 90% of various system management tasks. Most file management when I have multiple windows open (there's 3 HDDs internal and 4 external HDDs, plus various flash drives, that may be attached at any time on USB ports.

Spillover sys & file management go onto the landscape monitor.

Not much of a gaymer, but of course when I do they play on the landscape monitor. Spreadsheets, photo viewing & editing, watching movies, all on the landscape.

I used to have a 27" 2560x1440 as the landscape monitor, but I moved that to a different system and paired it with a 19" in portrait mode, 1024x1280 ($50 refurb, premium HP).

When I have to use a system with only one monitor, I feel crippled. Didn't take long, either. The first dual monitor setup I had and within 2 months I couldn't go back to a single. Been on dual monitor systems (occasionally 3 monitor systems) for nearly 4 years now and .... it's pretty impossible to hit my normal productivity with only one.

tl;dr -- minimum 30% productivity increase, plus exceptional convenience for applications optimized on portrait being in large format portrait and applications optimized for landscape being in large format landscape instantaneously and side-by-side.
>>
>>54230571
has google ever cared anyway? Not the same guy btw
>>
Kill yourself
>>
>>54230673
what a great and meaningful contribution to this conversation anon
>>
>>54230654
Google is an advertising company, I'm pretty sure they care a great deal about selling your information to advertisers and data brokers.
>>
>>54230521
New Orlends.
>>
>>54230835
Yeah, i put the emoji and it worked, but it threw me off a bit.
>>
>>54230128
There is none. Waste of money.

>>54230424
Actually, if you don't need too much real estate you're probably doing more real work because you're less likely to be shitposting on fb or 4chan or youtube.
>>
>>54231236
>Actually, if you don't need too much real estate you're probably doing more real work because you're less likely to be shitposting on fb or 4chan or youtube.
Maybe if your line of work happens entirely in a single excel spreadsheet and doesn't involve documentation, browsers, terminals, references, standards, testing or literally anything else that requires simultaneously seeing many things.
>>
I cannot go back to one screen. I multitask too much and need other reference screens open. I don't know how carmack works on a large monitor however. If I remember, he just has a lot of windows open, but not maximized, so it's essentially like having more than one monitor.
>>
>>54231690
I have a 31" screen and a 24" screen and use a tiling window manager and I *still* find myself running out of space.
>>
>>54231701
I'm probably going to get a third screen for portrait mode like everyone else seem to be doing. Would be pretty cool for reading with or browsing chan.
>>
do you all realise that such thing as 'window' metaphor exists?
>>
>>54230128
double the shitposting quantity ^.^
>>
>>54231736
My second screen is portrait mode and I can highly recommend it.
>>
File: sticker_375x360.png (127 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
sticker_375x360.png
127 KB, 375x375
>>
>>54231792
Do I get a specialized monitor that can turn vertical? I dont want to be ghetoo and just turn any ole monitor on its side.
>>
>>54231811
Virtually any monitor stand will let you swivel it into portrait mode. Heck, even my 31" monitor does.

If yours doesn't, consider getting a non-shit monitor or if you're really poor, a non-shit stand replacement.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.