[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E-readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: kindle.png (38 KB, 740x230) Image search: [Google]
kindle.png
38 KB, 740x230
Going to buy an ereader (the e-ink kind, not a tablet)

Read a few articles comparing the various ones, but they mostly talked about stuff I don't care about. I plan on almost exclusively using it to read ebooks that I pirate, so pricing and availability of titles on amazon or wherever, as well as features dictionaries or xray or beyond the book don't concern me.

What ereader do you have /g/? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.
>>
*features like dictionaries
>>
Kindle paperwhite + Calibre works perfectly for pirated ebooks. Kobo is also mentioned pretty often, but I've had both and definitely prefer the paperwhite.
>>
What is x-ray in this context?
>>
>>54230071
Some kindle feature about highlighting all passages relevant to a topic or something. It's a bell or whistle I'm not really concerned about.

>>54230062
I've been leaning towards the kindle too, knowing calibre makes pirating possible means I'm now favoring it even more. Thanks!
>>
>>54230062
Having trouble finding this online, does the kindle still do the thing where you have to pay extra to not have ads on the lock screen?
>>
>>54229993
Do the original kindles still have free 3G for life?
>>
>>54230711
Depends which model you buy.

After looking at both some more I've decided they're similar enough in all aspects that my deciding factor is going to be which is more robust. It seems like that might be the kindle.
>>
>>54230062
this. Paperwhite+Calibre master race. I've never even registered it with shamazon.
>>
>>54230741
How have you found the durability of the paperwhite? There are a few reviews on amazon suggesting it's a bit fragile. Then again, there are far more reviews saying that of the kobo.
>>
Kobo touch. It just werks, is easy to use with Linux, you can install the firmware manually, and best of all IT READS EPUBS.
>>
>>54230860
>IT READS EPUBS
What does this matter when Calibre and Amazon converts them for you?
>>
>>54230237
No, but they let you pay less to have ads on the lockscreen.
>>
Had paperwhite, it was pretty good, rubbery curved back / bezels give it a good grip, nothing to talk about the screen, it just works and the backlight is decent.

If I were to buy a new one though, i'd go for that kobo h2o one, has a (marginally) bigger screen and that's it.

I assume managing books / library is pretty much trivial between all the most common ones with calibre.
>>
>>54229993
I got an old Nook Simple Touch (without glowlight - its easier on the eyes) for 50 bucks back in 2012. Up to 32GB of pirated shit can be loaded up on it, and its epub friendly.

I'm sure there are other devices that aren't as old, though.
>>
>>54230925
That's like asking why a vacuum cleaner matters when you can just take your rugs outside and beat them.

Some people put a value on convenience, even if its just a couple of seconds at a time.
>>
Pretty much all of them are fine. Main differences are in the stores I guess but if you pirate it doesn't matter.
I've had both a kindle and now a kobo never bought an ebook in my life.

The kobo has expandable storage if that matters to you, slightly larger screen, and is waterproof, and the formatting options are better (kerning and fonts and shit).
>>
>>54230711
Working great on my 3G kindle 2, it's 8~ years old now
>>
>>54231384
My main concern with kobos is there seem to be a lot of reviews about them getting damaged easily. Maybe it isn't so bad if I buy a case though.

I'll probably also be getting a glo hd rather than a h2o, if I get a kobo.
>>
>>54230711
New ones have it too I think
>>
>>54231566
Also keep in mind that some of them only allow a certain space to be used on side loading books. The newest Nook glowlight is like that.
>>
>Kindle has free 3G
I honestly had no idea.
Is it possible to tether one to a PC for free internet access?
>>
I got a Nook simple touch (glowlight) from goodwill for 10 bucks

could be better but It's pretty comfy when rooted.
>>
get a nook. The platform is open.
>>
Don't get excited about free 3g

People were using it for torrents and PC tethering so they made it work only for Wikipedia and Kindle books, IIRC
>>
Go for the paperwhite. Pretty comfy to read on
>>
What e-reader is best for manga?
>>
>>54233631
What a lesson about humanity. And people complain about companies tyrannical policies? Some are deprived of common sense.
>>
Can I shitpost on 4chan with the free 3g?
>>
>>54233798
None, 6" is too damn small for manga
>>
I honestly recommend getting a Kobo because it's more convenient if you never buy ebooks officially. It's a Canadian company so you'll be supporting your economy as well.

The default software and font choice is better.

>>54229993
>>
>>54229993
My old kobo got fucked up with a software update.
Some stuff isn't working, but it started ignoring DRM.
>>
>>54233798
You should either get a tablet or the incredibly expensive Sony model which has a 13 in screen. E readers are garbage for comics and PDFs in general
>>
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY I'M FORCED TO BUY A EREADER FROM ONE OR TWO COMPANIES BUT THE TABLET MARKET IS COMPLETELY SATURATED WITH CHINK COPIES, MAKING THEM EXTREMELY PRICE-COMPETITIVE?
>>
>>54234472
Isn't that roughly the size of manga pages?
>>
>>54234497
>comics and PDFs in general
What about CBZ?
>>
I had a kobo aura for a while, but somehow managed to crack the screen.
I did use it though. Shame I can't keep reading the programming books I had on it comfortably.
>>
>>54234572
Don't know about mordern Kindle, reading comics on a Kindle 4 isn't that great. It's only viable for b/w comics, obviously. The screen is small and zooming and scrolling is a pain in the ass, so you always have the entire page on the screen and everything is tiny.
>>
>>54229993

bought a kobo aura h2o for similar reasons to you(project gutenberg I swear!), primarily because it's a 6.8" screen (vs 6" for most other ereaders) and I wanted the most text out of the screen, plus the kobo aura h2o has an sd card slot which appealed to me since I can always read books off of that

some things I've noticed: I had to return it twice because the bottom of the screen had some bleed-through with the leds, absolutely insignificant during regular usage but if you're like me and read in a pitch black room with the backlight on 5-10% you'll notice it a lot -- I still have a defective model but dealing with brick and mortar stores is a nightmare (although all 3 devices I've tried had varying degrees of bleed through so it's definitely a manufacturing issue)

although it's a 6.8" screen and is only marginally heavier than a kindle it's slightly uncomfortable to hold in ^ situation, again, not necessarily a problem and a case will probably help significantly

sometimes trying to run your finger up and down the page to adjust the backlight will fuck up and you'll scroll back/forward about 20 pages, coincidentally if you turn page margins off and try to use the backlight feature you'll often open the dictionary for a huge paragraph of text - not sure if kindle improves on this but it's still a nightmare

as far as obtaining books through other means go, the kobo series can be used without ever activating an account, although it's not a problem with an it's a bit of peace of mind

so far happy with it, but really most e-readers will be identical and it boils down to what you want out of them
>>
I just wish a chinese company would come and make a larger cheaper e reader, maybe 2 inches bigger, would be glorious for my chinese mangos.
>>
>>54229993
I got an original "Amazon Kindle Keyboard 3G" off ebay for about $70 and it still has the free internet. I pirate all my books and use Calibre to manage and convert them. Works great, 1 month battery life, free internet for wikipedia on the go, $70 second hand. Only downside; probably botnet.
>>
paperwhite + calibre is the best way to go for the price/quality/support etc, don't need to register to amazon if you simply want to pirate books (hello)

kobo h2o if you really want the waterproof

voyage or oasis if you like burning money (seriously though, they are a bit better than the paperwhite so if money doesn't matter you might as well)

>>54234572

the screen is too small, get a 10 inch tablet for comics (or just stop reading comics lol you child)
>>
Thanks for the feedback everybody

I'll probably stick to either the paperwhite or the glo, due to being a university student and not wanting to spend all that much on this.

Will probably go for the kindle, due to robustness concerns, though hopefully a case will also help. I had a kobo mini once that got destroyed just by being in a backpack.
>>
>>54235146
Can you access 4chan via 3g?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.