[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about Ada?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: ada-strong-1120-transparent.png (111 KB, 1120x1120) Image search: [Google]
ada-strong-1120-transparent.png
111 KB, 1120x1120
What do you think about Ada?
>>
First epic LE CODING girl.
Truly way ahead of her time.
>>
>>54228687
I think it's pretty neat.

>>54228711
Are you literally retarded? Ada is a programming language responsible for the safe running of many mission critical pieces of software. It powers F-35 stealth fighters, for example.
>>
I bet she was SJW as fuck back then.
>>
>>54228757
>Are you literally retarded?

Yes.
>>
File: 1446964553484.jpg (106 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1446964553484.jpg
106 KB, 1500x1500
>>54228711
>>54228760
>>
tfw have to use it at work
tfw its a piece of shit
>>
>>54228757
>starts a conversation about the Ada programming language with a logo boasting the language's "strong typing" capabilities
>doesn't specify type of "Ada"
You're the retard here.
>>
What makes it so resistant to bugs?
>>
>>54228799
Strong typing.
>>
>>54228813
but a lot of languages have that. what makes Ada to stand out?
>>
>>54228799
Nothing is written in it
Therefore no bugs
>>
>>54230199
a lot like linux
no userbase therefore no viruses
>>
>>54228840
Stronger typing. Static memory usage guarantees.

Can you, in C, write a program and have the type system prove that you will never exceed the memory capacity of your device?
>>
>>54228760
kys retard.
>>
>>54228757
>F-35
Well that explains a lot
>>
>>54228840
The syntax and style guides make it more of a conversational read than a logical read.

I like it for its built in enumeration operations. For Example: I can create an enumeration and print the enumeration name instead of the number or some case statement breaking it apart. I can convert a String input by a user to an enumeration, etc. Declare an array type using a subset of enumerated values.

Lots of other operations I can't remember. It's been a few years since I've used it. Still my favorite language because of how easy it was to use.
>>
>>54228687
i'd fuck that ass
>>
>>54228757
>It powers F-35 stealth fighters, for example.
Most of the F-35 code is in C and C++. The bits of Ada that remains were just ported from the F-22 fighter.

>This is why the F-35 is such a piece of shit
>>
>>54228797
It's well implied by the OP image 'tard
>>
>>54230372
The OP image featuring a picture of Ada Lovelace?
>>
>>54230397
That's the logo of the programing language Ada, if you don't know it it's well implied it's related to programing since it says "STRONG TYPING" which is a programing term, if you don't know anything about programing then it is implied that's not related to Ada Lovelace since it says 1983/1995/2005/2012 which are periods completely unrelated to Ada Lovelace who lived in the 1800's
>>
>>54230471
>Posting something unrelated that features a person you're discussing means you're discussing the image rather than the person you mentioned
Keep grasping at straws
>>
>>54228760
Doubt it. Her father was an UTTER manwhore who also happened to be a famous dude named lord bryon or some shit. Her mother wanted her to be a proper girl but she wanted to be a /sci/entist.

Her playboy father fucked a lot of whores and fell into a deep depression cause he never got to get to know his daughter cause his ex wife banned him from being around her cause he was fucking everything that moved. Kind of sad yo
>>
>>54230593
Ada is a programing language, Ada Lovelace is a person
I guess you're too dumb to understand the difference
>>
>>54230638
She was also addicted to gambling and probably quite whorish
>>
>>54230665
If true then could understand since father was a manwhore that got bannished from her life and her mother wanted her to be a proper lady.
>>
>>54230643
>Ada is a programing language, Ada Lovelace is a person
Yes and? Where did OP say he was talking about the programming language?
>>
>>54230714
In his image, he never specified Ada Lovelace which is the person, he specified Ada
lrn2basic reading comprehension and basic recognition of images
>>
Ada lost its window of opportunity to become a mainstream language. Ada is more difficult to program in because of its very explicit typing, but still is a LOT easier to program in than C++ which it should have replaced in the 90s and 00s. A language like Go uses the same type of module based data-classes but is a lot easier to understand and program in. And then there is Rust and D too. Nobody is going to waste their time with Ada unless they are doing critical systems programming.
>>
>>54230736
lrn2 tech credibility so the character in the image is ignored and the language is recognized
>>
>>54230638
>a famous dude named lord bryon or some shit

I can hear /lit/ turning in their graves.
>>
>>54230736
>Implementation-dependent dynamic typing
That's just your interpretation
>>
>>54230778
>lord bryon
KEK
>>
>>54228757
>F-35 stealth fighters
F-35 isn't stealth
>>
There is no reason to use it instead of either rust, go or D. Also it's named after a megalomaniacal hypocondriac whore.
>>
>>54231908
it's not really a fighter either
>>
Before switcing to C/C++ american figthers used Ada and their cost was decent.
Now with C/C++ a single plane cost as much has the combined GPD of several countries.

Conclusion: Ada has no value over C/C++, it's cheap shit for poorfag. If you want to create real value, uce C/C++
>>
> Over the course of two weeks, I slowly grew more and more frustrated with Ada. It took me forever to get any of my programs to compile. I was being asked to think more than I had with other languages I had previously used and even then, the compiler regularly frustrated me. After a couple weeks of this, I felt inadequate, frustrated and ready to try something else; enter C.

>With that decision of C over Ada, a large portion of my development as a programmer was decided. I spent a ton of time in C dealing with code that segfaulted. The power and freedom that C gave me with pointers came back to bite me all the time. Sure, my code compiled but man, did it also crash a lot. I spent years with C and C++ learning patterns for sharing memory, for immutable objects, for concurrency via threading that I still use to this day; patterns to avoid dangerous code that the Ada compiler wouldn't let me write in the first place.

>When I look back now at my Ada/C decision. I do so with some regret. I took the easy path. I let frustration get the best of me. And now whenever I encounter a difficult moment learning new languages like Haskell or Pony, I try to remember my Ada/C decision and stick will the language whose compiler is trying to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Morality: The guys at Mozilla should ditch RUST and start using Ada instead.
>>
>>54228793
Let me guess; you use it as a backend with Java as the GUI.

And it's for the government; amiright?
>>
>stron typing
>ada

Seriously, what is calculus of constructions?
>>
File: ada.png (44 KB, 140x143) Image search: [Google]
ada.png
44 KB, 140x143
I think she's pretty cool but I'll admit some of her moves are pretty sketch. I'm a frog anyways so it doesn't concern me much though.
>>
>>54234145
It also spontaneously lights on fire mid-flight
>>
>>54230359
>>54235140
It's comical. They switched to C++ because they didn't want to hire Ada programmers and thought the C++ programmers they hired wouldn't be able to learn Ada.

>We think you're too stupid to learn Ada, come write the software for our planes!
>>
I am very happy that my first language in school was Ada. It forced me to do things right or not do them at all. Also looking back its insanely awesome that I was getting array index out of bound errors at compile-time. How many compilers can do that sort of trick?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.