[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Singularity the religion of the technological age? Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: singularity-825x510.jpg (81 KB, 825x510) Image search: [Google]
singularity-825x510.jpg
81 KB, 825x510
Is the Singularity the religion of the technological age?

Does /g/ believe in it? When do you think it will happen? 2045?
>>
What's supposed to happen in 2045? Is this another end of times thing?
>>
>>54222872
I think it will happen eventually. That a computer will have learned enough about the world that we can instruct it to find the best solution to our problems. I mean, it's not much different from using Google Maps to ask for the quickest way to go somewhere, except it's with more data.

If we'd ask it to improve itself then it will.
>>
>>54222872
It had already happened age ago and your brain is stucked in a simulator you can't escape... Trying to escape it will end up destroying your brain...

Singularity is a meme thing and will never happen to you because it happened yet for others...
>>
>>54223553
I believe this but the doctor told me it's in my head, but of course they'd say that. This whole world only exists to spite me. You don't exist. Everything on this board is all tailored for me specifically. Often what I'm thinking about gets regurgitated as threads. I'm stuck in a simulation all by myself for some reason. I don't know why because they never told me. But all I know is it involves aliens and demons (they are one and the same, people in ancient times just called them demons because they didn't understand). They look like demons. I think they must have conquered us awhile back. I'm not sure what their end game is. Or if there are even any other real humans left besides me.
>>
File: Duralock Family image.jpg (769 KB, 1741x1367) Image search: [Google]
Duralock Family image.jpg
769 KB, 1741x1367
>>54223617
Pic related is their end game...

Knock knock Neo... Follow the white rabbit...
>>
>>54223617
>being this retarded
>not understanding the human brain has evolved to see patterns even where patterns do not exist
>being an adult (presumably) and still believing shit we all thought about at age 17 but got over because most of us arent actually autistic
>>
>>54223617
also if energy is the motivation behind this simulated reality then the greater beings are autistic because i could communicate to them in 10 seconds how to greatly increase my stimulation, brain functionality and therefore output
>>
File: euphoric.gif (1 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.gif
1 MB, 230x172
>>54224743
>i, for one, welcome our alien overlords
>>
>>54224774
You are pure shit to them, why trying to improve your experience and feedback...
>>
>>54223921

We would make pretty shitty batteries but it would make sense for aliens to want to use us as a computer cluster.
>>
>>54222872
If it's real and tangible, then it's not religion.
So, yes.
>>
>>54222872
Singularity is a magic meme created and designed by a few gourou to earn gorillions of shekels...

Computer power speed improvement decreasing yet... No singularity happening...

Noone seen a tiny of code showing a comp able to improve its own code...
>>
Technological sage for this shit thread.
>>
>>54222872
some faggots in the 90s thought that Moore's Law would never end and that we could upload our brains or whatever to escape death.

joke's on them, we're hitting the FLOPS/W wall as GPUs catch up to CPU lithography nodes and node progression has begun to suck, hardcore.

the gooks, chinks, and kikes are talking like 7/10nm is around the corner, but it's not exactly like 14nm was on time and met every expectation.
>>
File: Samsung_Bio-Processor-684x250.jpg (25 KB, 684x250) Image search: [Google]
Samsung_Bio-Processor-684x250.jpg
25 KB, 684x250
>>54222872
Pic related is the true portrait of your grand pa... Tell it hi
>>
File: 908.jpg (66 KB, 680x635) Image search: [Google]
908.jpg
66 KB, 680x635
>>54222872
>Is the Singularity the religion of the technological age?
No, nobody worships the tech singularity or the events that could come after it. That doesn't make any sense, the tech singularity is as far away from religion as can be.

Religion is fucking stupid btw
>inb4 le tipping fedora may may

>Does /g/ believe in it? When do you think it will happen? 2045?
I speculate it's likely going to happen around ~2050. It's not a matter of "if" anymore just "when". We always find a way to make better weapons, tools, trinkets, ect. I don't see why the tech singularity would NOT happen. Even if we parish some other life forms billions of light-years away from us will go through a tech singularity themselves. The event is unavoidable in the universe.
>>
Yes it's a bullshit religion similar to other new-age stuff. Will not happen in the forseeable future.
>>
File: 1441352250251.png (6 KB, 229x283) Image search: [Google]
1441352250251.png
6 KB, 229x283
>>54222872
>only the ultra elite will benefit
>the rest of us will have to live like poo-in-loos serving our digital masters

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54223617
>>54223553
I think something similar with time travel. If it is actually possible, then it has to have happened already?
>paranoid-schizophrenic general
>>
>>54226109
>Will not happen in the forseeable future
A hell of a lot sooner than Jesus coming back.
>>
>>54226109
>accurate simulations of organic life inside computers has already started
>Computer processors become ~10X as powerful every 10 years and have sigbificantly reduced power consumption as well
>Also remain about the same price range (see pentium 4 and Xeon-D 1540)

Why makes you so sure anon?
>>
>>54226178
according to singularity fags*
>>
>>54222872
The big bang itself was that singularity you're talkong about...

It created physical dimensions and rules from something you can't imagine or percieve...

You live in a simulator you can only understand the inside rules...
>>
>>54226201
*~20X as powerful
>>
>>54226269

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_singularity

It happened yet at least once
>>
>>54226201
in the last decades, the processing power has continuously increased while AI has stagnated
so this suggests throwing processing power at the world will not create AI
>>
File: universe_expansion.png (51 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
universe_expansion.png
51 KB, 480x480
>>54222872
>>
>>54223617

We're watching you.
>>
>>54223617
Keep thought forms and consensus reality separate, or you will go insane
>>
>>54226397

prove it

you can't
>>
>>54226889
It's the most realistic and accepted explanation...
>>
File: Singularity_cover.jpg (32 KB, 318x318) Image search: [Google]
Singularity_cover.jpg
32 KB, 318x318
>>54222872
Ask Doctor Who!
>>
>>54226434
>in the last decades, the processing power has continuously increased while AI has stagnated
Not true we now have AIs driving cars and beating humans in sophisticated games on their own. Of course AI takes longer to advance than raw computing power. Simulating the intelligence of a single human being with ~100 billion fucking neurons that each act like a processor and RAM memory isn't fucking easy you know.

>so this suggests throwing processing power at the world will not create AI
AIs have already been created, you see them every day in things vydias. Current AIs have little intelligence and are not self aware. The more processing power they can be given the more intelligent and eventually self aware they will become.
>>
>>54227084
neither the chess game nor the visual processing have groundbreaking AI behind them. The chess program tries all possible alternatives and uses probability, which is superior to "experience" and "intelligence" in a narrow game like chess. The car has the advantage of clear processing vs. the fuzzy nature of humans and incorporates new visual algorithms, but not intelligence.

>Simulating the intelligence of a single human being with ~100 billion fucking neurons that each act like a processor and RAM memory isn't fucking easy you know.
simulating existing intelligence is not creating new AI. it would be a lot like simulating evolution of bugs in the computer, this alone will not make it possible for the computer to replicate itself or anything like that. It might even be irrelevant to the singularity ai

>you see them every day in things vydias
And they are not intelligent, there are ways to work around that to make them better than in say 1993, but their actual intelligence is still zero.

>The more processing power they can be given the more intelligent and eventually self aware they will become.
this is an assumption, there is no proof
>>
>>54227225
>simulating existing intelligence is not creating new AI. it would be a lot like simulating evolution of bugs in the computer, this alone will not make it possible for the computer to replicate itself or anything like that. It might even be irrelevant to the singularity ai
But it's the key to making AIs self aware. The closer we get to simulating a human brain in real time the closer we will get to finding out what algorithm and/or set of algorithms makes a conscious being.

>this is an assumption, there is no proof
Are you afraid? Afraid that a machine will have sentience and you no longer be a sentient special little snowflake? I'm bot gonna lie I am too to be honest. If AIs become self aware they will become better than man and it would be logical for them to eventually see us as a threat and exterminate us.
>>
>>54222872
Futurology is a religion, and the singularity isn't happening.
t. Physics.
>>
>>54227675
>Futurology is a religion, and the singularity isn't happening.
>t. Physics.
What makes you so sure? Brains are just a bunch of cells doing shit. Computers become more power efficient and powerful as time goes on. It seems logical we will eventually simulate a human brain and find out what makes it "conscious" and apply that to an AI.
>>
>>54227494
>Are you afraid?
no, I'm not afraid, it just seems to be some kind of slippery slope thing that may or may not happen.

but you're right, I wouldn't spend all my energy on helping the AI, or make it too easy for the uncontrolled AI, which may turn on us in the end.
>>
>>54222872
>Does /g/ believe in it?
Nope, because Moore's law is dead and there'll only be about 9 more shrink cycles where they'll be able to fit 2x as much into the same size chip before we hit transistors the size of a single atom. Without massive improvements in the design of current neural networking chips, we won't see computers that can simulate the human brain that are smaller than a human brain by then.
>>
>>54223529
>I mean, it's not much different from using Google Maps to ask for the quickest way to go somewhere, except it's with more data
Actually it's completely different
>>
File: image.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
>>54222872
>singularityfags
Fuck off ya uneducated cunt.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.