[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu 16.04 vs 14.04
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
File: snappy.jpg (23 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
snappy.jpg
23 KB, 650x366
So has anyone tried out 16.04 yet? I usually wait at least a few months to make sure there are no surprises. Kinda curious tho. Anyone know any specifics on the SNAP security issue?
>>
>>54213499
Unity runs better by a mile, mesa supports 4.1 ootb meaning I get all muh games without padoka.
>>
>>54213549
Are you running it? Can you check if they fixed the "Move Window to Workspace" keyboard shortcut?

The last few times I used Unity it was broken and had to use some compiz hack
>>
I've been digging it. First thing I did was uninstall ubuntu session and install Cinnamon, and mine looks great. apt is slightly more powerful than apt-get, and other than that it's just any old debian based operating system.

Can I get more info on this snappy security issue? Is it an actual issue, from what I understand it just executes code anyways: as long as I don't download malicious packages from malicious repos I should be good?
>>
>>54213568
In bed now. Keep this thread alive for another 10 hours and I'll get back to you
>>
>>54213620
Basically some CoreOS dev getting his panties in a tangle over misreading press releases. He's spreading FUD because he's running a competitor.

If you have X as your display manager, it can grab arbitrary inputs and tunnel then to other applications. 16.04 has not switched to Mir as the display server, and therefore it is still possible to key log and other nonsense without issue.
>>
>>54214081
>If you have X
isn't this the vast majority of all distros?
>>
>>54213620
>>54214081
I'm remembering this now so that in a few months /g/ will spout "muh snappy" as a psuedo-excuse as to why they don't like ubuntu, needing to say this because they don't want to admit it's superior and want to flaunt their obscure timesink distro. This will be just like "amazon spyware" and unity and I'm completely sure that snappy is just a package that you can remove with one apt-get
>>
>>54214105
yes

if you have malicious code running on your machine, chances are the attacker is going to get privelege escalation anyway because the attack surface is huge.
>>
i'm waiting till amd works
>>
>>54214106
I am personally excite for the future of the Linux desktop. If the snap package catches on, that's a large number of packages with more sand boxing by default. Mozilla will be releasing Firefox later this year as a snap, so there's potentially one less package I need to fiddle with for app armor.
>>
>>54213499
Why not 15?
>>
>>54214139
Waiting until nvidia works. Can't boot into any DE with both open source of proprietary drivers. I
>>
>>54213499
>upgrade from 15.04 to 16.04
>lightdm no longer logs you to your session
It's shit.
I had to make a clean install since there's no fix for that shit.
>>
> Anyone know any specifics on the SNAP security issue?
> installing Snap packages while using X11 display server
I don't even understand how it works anymore. Why would I need X11 for a package manager.
>>
>>54213499
>So has anyone tried out 16.04 yet?
Running it right now.

Bad:
AMD will not support 16.04, AT ALL
Steam is broken even with nvidia and intel graphics
Niche kernels have to be compiled since all the flavours on apt except lowlatency are a placeholder
>>
>>54217920
>AMD will not support 16.04, AT ALL
Nonsense. AMDGPU PRO already supports 16.04. Only Catalyst is being phased out.
>>
>not xubuntu
why tho
>>
>>54213499
NetworkManager is buggy.. does not find wifi networks without restarting it.
>>
>>54217868
All its implying is that X11 completely circumvent the protections put in place by apparmor.
>>
If you want to remove the Amazon app you have to remove unity tweaks
>WHY
>>
>>54218757
>using unity
>>
>>54214139
>>54214139
But anon, AMD has never worked (^:
>>
>>54217920
AMDGPU-Pro is actually running better than fgrlx for a lot of cards in Ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>>54218757
Good. Unity is just a gnome copy anyway and a shitty one at that.
>>
I don't know if it is, but it seems faster to me.
I'm happy I have a more up to date GNOME.
Apport is annoying as hell though, Ubuntu's way nicer once that's disabled.
>>
>>54218757

Is this true? Do you mean remove as in remove the binaries for it, or can I simply still switch it off?
>>
>>54213681
He kept his end of the deal, faggot. Where is yours?
>>
>>54219186
>using the backward smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54217868
Software that use x11 is unsecure
>>
>>54219987
Just got to the office. Give me a few
>>
mate 16.04 been a shit for me

things take a delay to load idk why

I thought it was the xenial repository that was a lagging shit, but it takes ages to connect to wifi as well
>>
Just installed 16.04.

No glaring issues. Unity limits customization, but functions fine. Fantastic OS for any proper human being that just wants to get things done.
>>
I have watched a hand full of reviews on the new release, they all agree that its its horrible for an LTS
>>
>>54217920
AMDGPU is actually developed by AMD dummy
>>
>>54213568
What's the hotkey?
>>
>>54213568
If it's ctrl-alt-shift-arrow, that's been working fine for ages. Try resetting compiz and unity if it's broken for you
>>
>>54217920
>AMD will not support 16.04, AT ALL
16.04 runs much better on my 290X CF system than 15.04. 15.04 was fucking unusable. Everything stuttered horribly in Unity, even moving the mouse and opening a menu took literally seconds of stuttering animation. Completely unusable.

16.04 runs well(-ish, there's still tearing) and it plays nice with my 3 monitor setup too.
>>
I've run into a strange issue: it won't install from my usb key (faulty media, it says), but a live session works perfectly. I formatted the key and used it for a Debian netinst afterwards, and encountered no issue.
>>
>>54219926
yes
but you can always reinstall it
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.