[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with Chromebooks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: Toshiba-Chromebook-13-inch1 (1).jpg (73 KB, 1351x884) Image search: [Google]
Toshiba-Chromebook-13-inch1 (1).jpg
73 KB, 1351x884
> cheap
> light
>easy

Shouldn't /g/ love these? You can install Linux on them to avoid the botnet as well.
>>
bumpinggg
>>
>>54211867
You can install Linux on some of them. And unless you flash a custom BIOS it whines at you and forces you to hit a key combination on boot to proceed. Not seeing the point when a laptop with secureboot disabled does the same thing without Google's bullshit.
>>
>>54211974
On top of that, you have to deal with the ugly-ass Chrome logo permanently branded onto the lid of the laptop. Looks ugly as fuck.
>>
>not-imouto friendly
Fucking dropped
>>
theyre good machines, acer makes the best ones

had my cb3-111 for 3 years now, indestructible and danm reliable shitposting machine
>>
noone said anything bad about them? Whats wrong with you?
>>
>>54211867
>C720
>SeaBIOS
>128GB mSata
>haswell i3
>4GB ram
>Can Install Linux natively
Would be perfect if not for the 720p TN screen
>>
They're not bad. They're what netbooks should have been - lower spec but not shit
>>
>>54211867
I have one, two of my friends have one, the robotics team I was in in college has four.
We all got the c720.
The 11 hour battery life and low cost make up for the small hard drives and 2G of ram.
>>
Been using one in class. It's great if you're tied into the Google ecosystem (which I've been using forever). Hilarious seeing these people use Macbook Pros with Microsoft Office for fucking community college.
>>
>>54212050
This 2bh, /g/ poorfags seem to like them.

I'm posting on one right now.
>>
File: chrome os.png (801 KB, 2560x1700) Image search: [Google]
chrome os.png
801 KB, 2560x1700
Linux is preinstalled.
>>
>>54211867
they are cheap facebook machines
>>
I'd like to replace my Core 2 Duo chinkpad with something thinner. How fast can that thing or any of its competitors with a normal keyboard compile a kernel or encode an episode of anime?
>>
>>54212917

Works fine as my portable dev environment.
>>
File: stallman.jpg (28 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
stallman.jpg
28 KB, 220x330
>>54212866
>nice b8

Yeah but not GNU + Linux; and that's what we like around here
>>
>>54213068
You're wrong though.
>>
>>54213068
It uses the gnu coreutils, glibc, and is compiled with the GNU Compiler Collection. If this isn't GNU+Linux, how is any other Linux distribution not run by the Debian Project GNU+Linux?
>>
File: Cr+Linux.png (48 KB, 1110x308) Image search: [Google]
Cr+Linux.png
48 KB, 1110x308
>>54213068
I call it Cr+Linux. Also who u quote?
>>
>>54211867
>Shouldn't /g/ love these? You can install Linux on them to avoid the botnet as well.

Often the storage is really too small to do anything decent with.

But in portability, they beat every other machine (except the 1200 $ MacBook but it's not the same price anymore. )
>>
>>54211867
>no storage
fuck it, why bother?
>>
>>54211996
also chromebooks aren't cheap anymore, they cost as much as a regular laptop with better specs
>>
>>54211867

Getting rid of the Chrome OS is kind of a bitch on some models. I had to take mine apart and flip a switch on the motherboard, in order to flash custom BIOS.
>>
>>54211867
I don't think anyone said they were bad, but considering you can get a used X220 for the same price, what's the point?
>>
It's a glorified Facebook machine. Yes, you can attempt to get a decent OS running on it, but there's no point in that when other laptops will have better hardware and support.

I deal with these things all the time as part of my job and the only thing they're good for is making sure technology inept people do not fuck up their computer. Even then most of them manage to install Chrome extension malware somehow.
>>
>>54211867
botnet at hardware level
>>
>>54211867
Small storage.
Shit OS.
32Bit UEFI.
>>
>>54212017
Go back to your containment board weeb
>>
>>54211867
>can't easily repair/modify
>no reliable stock because it's a consumer laptop rather than a corporate one
>shit storage
>crap keyboards
>>
>>54214004
>can't easily repair/modify
Most popular models are easy to repair. The only one that sticks out as not being easy are the older Dell models that had glass screens, since those were easy to crack when replacing. The OS itself pretty much never needs to be restored either, unless you're dicking around with it.
>>
I got a 2nd gen Toshiba Chromebook 2 for $180 about 6 months ago, and have been pretty happy with it.

After wiping BotnetOS off of it (removed the m/b jumper, flashed the bios, etc), it's a solid little machine.
>>
>>54213917
But I am in my containment board ;_;
>>
> <$200 new
>packs as much power as a 2008 Core 2 Duo at least
>has the profile of a Macbook Air
>has more than fucking 16GB of storage
Exists?
>>
>>54214057
>unless you're dicking around with it.
that is a given on /g/
>>
I kind of want an Asus C201 for its Libreboot capability. Having a laptop that weighs less than one kilogram would be very nice for traveling.
>>
>Thinkpad is cheaper
>Thinkpad performs better
>Thinkpad 3-6 hour battery life is good enough for most people here, who either never leave the house, or take their laptops to work and use the outlets in their cubicles and only go plug-free for lunch and fap breaks
>Thinkpad has more software compatibility due to x86
>Thinkpad OS installation is easier
>Thin/light are memes for people that think laptops are fashion accessories or are seriously affected by an extra pound and a half inch, aka teenage girls. Get fucking real, betas. Women don't give a fuck about your computer. Women IGNORE your computer. Women don't usually need computers themselves, so they accept anything from used macbooks to acer shitbooks and go for phones and tablets when available. Women expect you to be just as not-nerdy as them and act similarly. Prioritizing the PC or laptop is the mark of the nerd. They give a fuck about your phone, your clothes, your car, your family and how many actual honest to fucking god close friends you have and their phones, clothes, cars, and families.
>>
>>54214665
>>Thinkpad has more software compatibility due to x86

Most BotnetBooks are x86 as well, anon.
>>
>>54214755
But many are ARM, and few can run a modern windows with reasonable performance, or offer the performance for running productivity applications on top of windows if they can handle the OS in the first place.

You can get better performance out of other $300 laptops that aren't even thinkpads, and if you install windows, you're going to get the same battery life anyways

>But I won't be installing windows or GNU/Linux
"But I won't be using my computer for work and should have bought a tablet or used my phone like everyone else"
>>
>>54214665
>Thinkpad is the exact opposite of chromebooks
cool story
>>
>>54211867
>install Linux
>avoid the botnet

Hilarious
>>
>>54214779

I am poster from >>54214183 - xubuntu and all normal (i.e. non gaming) programs run perfectly well. For a cheap, lightweight laptop, Chromebooks can work fine. The main drawback is lack of space, but with USB 3.0 thumb sticks being so cheap nowadays, that's not as big of a concern.
>>
>>54211867
I'm considering getting a chromebook, but when I looked at a list of the best models, most of them had 16GB storage. Maybe one or two had 32GB. Anything with 128 or more would be great.

Are there any models that have any local storage, or is everything just assumed to be in the cloud now?
>>
People keep saying lack of storage. What kind of storage do they usually use? mSATA / m.2 or some onboard soldered shit?
>>
>>54211867
>you realize you cant upgrade the 16 gb storage
>not powerful enough to run ubuntu or windows
>no support for video playback other than shit web apps that dont work
>no android notifications built in
>literally anything can run linux better
>google botnet
>google "support "
>cant even run basic android apps(not that i want to)
bought a thinkpad and the only thing i miss is the screen.
>>
>>54214863
>xubuntu
A ten year old laptop can run xubuntu. I bet you tried ubuntu.
I fell for the meme too.
>>
>>54215329

What's your point, anon?
>>
>>54215000
yes
>>
>>54215349
I fell for the meme too.
>>
>>54215359
What's your point, anon?
>>
>>54211867
i bought one. regretted it almost immediately. it runs sum btc miners but it cant even handle a usb hub without crashing. it only runs 2. and the wifi shits out every few days and i have to restart the whole thing.
>>
>>54215361
I fell for the meme too.
>>
>>54212063
This is exactly what I did and I love the fucking thing. Perfect netbook replacement, have it running Arch.
>>
>>54211867
>easy
There's your problem. If it didn't work out of the box and you had to compile everything yourself, /g/ would be all over it.
>>
>>54211867
Thinkin about getting one used sometime
>>
>>54211867
price is close to a regular laptop-use browser os, only works with internet on?
>>
>>54216243
Install linux
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.