[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you care about freedom, is there any rational reason not to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 1
If you care about freedom, is there any rational reason not to use BSD over Linux?
>>
BSD blows
>>
>>54205422
gpl is freedom, faget
>>
You prefer the GPL which doesn't let corporations take free software and turn it into proprietary software, and forces the corporations who want to use the free software for their profit to make their changes free for everyone to benefit from, compared to BSD licenses which doesn't.

Also Linux is just far more advanced, has more hardware and software support, is faster, etc.
>>
>>54205422
But none of those things are freedom.
>>
>>54205422
which boiler room is that
>>
>>54207182
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfZu4BCi644
>>
>>54205422
the cuck license tho
>>
>>54208714
FreeBSD users/devs all own MacBooks as their main machines. They're doing it on purpose.
>>
>>54208714
The BSD license is the most rational and anarchist license in existence. Only people who love statists/governments would support an abomination like the GNU license. And "cucks" are the ones who love them a nanny state.

Joke's on you, you were the cuck all along.

>>54205500
>forces the corporations who want to use the free software for their profit to make their changes free

That's exactly the definition of anti-freedom. Forcing people to do things is irrational and a statist method.

The non-aggression principle is the most logic thing that ever came out of the minds of human beings.
>>
>>54205500
Okay but can you list one example where a company took a BSD-licensed work, made it proprietary, and didn't release their changes?
>>
>>54208750
yes, they're cucked by apple
>>54210090
>anarchist license
>fuck me in the ass, I don't care
bwahahahaha
>>
>>54210090
>Forcing people to do things is irrational
Why does the BSD license force people to keep the copyright notice? Is it an irrational license?
>>
>>54210134
Is the PS4 source code available?
>>
>>54210090
>anarchist license in existence.
Cool, I don't want an anarchist license...

I don't see how only the groups of people you listed would like GNU license.

My concern with security and BSD license is people are not forced to pay code forward for viewing, which means someone can take code and add a backdoor, publish a binary and not publish their code.

I typed this all out and then I realized that you're either a 15 year old who jerks off to Banksy or some third worlder who doesn't speak English natively and I'm being baited.
>>
>>54205422
>tfw using FreeBSD as a plex server

feels pretty good lads
>>
BSD pros:
+ More POSIX compliant
+ Cleaner code base
+ Better old hardware support
BSD cons:
- BSD license
- Less modern hardware support
>>
Your CPU is propietary, your screen technology is, you all lose faggits
>>
>>54210549
wrong & wrong
>>
>>54210657
Driver tech in your speakers, schrmatic of your notherboard...
>>
>>54210674
I don't have speakers
I don't have a netherboard
>>
>>54210412
the cons outweigh the pros by a mile
>>
>>54205422
Shitty performance, shitty drivers.

>>54210134
Microsoft Windows TCP/IP stack, and that's just off the top of my head. But you're probably not going to find many instances on Google where people actually noticed it, because it's an expected use of BSD-licensed code.
>>
>>54210412
>better old hardware support

*citation needed
>>
>>54210767
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/05/08/11/1754253/the-netbsd-toaster
>>
>>54210767
*better old hardware support than new hardware support
>>
>>54205422
If you want freedom, real freedom. Sell all you own and be a drifter. Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
>>
>>54205500
>Also Linux is just far more advanced, has more hardware and software support, is faster, etc.
I love Linux but nigga pls. More hardware and software support?
>>
>>54210820
>drifter
you mean hobo? no thanks
>>
>>54210820
Freedom is a matter of self control. I can do whatever I want as long as it doesn't "harm" other people. For example, I don't believe that dumping toxic waste down the river is an example of exercising freedom.
>>
>>54211034
>More hardware and software support?
Yes, educate yourself.
>>
>>54211090
>I don't believe that dumping toxic waste down the river is an example of exercising freedom
You're an idiot then.
>>
>>54211109
In that case, I want the freedom to own legions of slaves to do my work. My freedom to own slaves is vitally important to my freedom.
>>
If you care about things like licenses more than software you should be a lawyer not an engineer. You should browse a different board than /g/. I can't stand these kinds of people, they talk about all the secondary things surrounding software and never the software itself. Using X because it's free not because it's good or practical, complaining to software devs for not agreeing with their ideology, terrible people.
>>
>>54211176
You are a short-sighted idiot. Go on and tell us you don't give a fuck about software patents because you're an engineer and not a whiner.
>>
>>54210301
Sony has been pushing their console changes back into mainline since the PS2 with their UFS patches to their POWER patches for the PS3, it's likely they'll do the same with the PS4 later into the lifetime of the product. They do the same with their embedded products too, nobody ever cares to read the mailing lists but they sure are quick to complain about the lack of contributions. They do the same with Apple too despite all their public work being listed in one spot that's easy to read and find.
>>
>>54211209
>actually telling people to become whiners
This is some poe's law shit.
>>
>>54211176
Did you know that politics will affect you whether you like it or not? I believe it's more intelligent to learn about the politics that surround the technology that we rely on rather than to let politics screw us and then cry "I should have thought about these things before".
>>
>>54211254
Politics don't influence people who write software, they only influence the people licensing software and the people arguing over licensing software, these people will always be secondary. If you want to talk about business and product decisions go to /biz/, if you want to discuss legal strengths of something go somewhere else, if you want to discuss software stay on /g/ since prog is no more.
>>
>>54211238
Sounds like I guessed pretty close to what you would say.
>>
>>54211361
And you fit the description as well.
>complaining to software devs for not agreeing with their ideology
Don't you have some court cases to review and people to harass for not fitting your communistic views?
>>
>>54211307
If all you do is live in your own world where you deal with nobody but yourself, then this is true. If you live in the real world where the software you write then subsequently distribute has real legal consequences to yourself, then this is moronic. Software patents affect a significant number of programmers in the world. Copyright law affects a significant number of programmers in the world. These things affect the employers who hire you for your skills as a software engineer or technology designer. You don't need to dedicate your life to learning about the details of these issues as a lawyer or businessman does but you're seriously deluding yourself if you interact with the world while ignoring the politics of the world.
>>
>>54211454
If you're talking about business specifically what's even the point in investing the time to learn the politics if they're not able to be influenced? You act as if the people writing the software for business applications are going to have some say over it, as if companies don't have an entire team dedicated to making these decisions. You want to talk about ignorance look at all the companies that died because of their attempt to influence software politics, even the most respected and popular of the bunch, SUN, are dead today, Apple almost ceased to be for being so liberal and open with their hardware and software, no company today would ever be so stupid to be influenced by anyone outside of their legal team and the people in that team know the history well. The only thing you have to gain is a picture of an ideal that will never be realized, you'll become what that other anon is expecting of people, a "whiner" not a changer.

The only exception is to join a company that specializes in writing these specifically licensed things or writing your own software as a hobby only.

It's baffling to believe these people with no business experience are trying to change business politics as if they know anything.
>>
>>54211175
Ok, good for you.
>>
>>54211219
Why are you dodging the question? Is the PS4 source code available under an open source license? Yes or no? Where's the source code for the software running on the PS3? Where's the source code for the software for their embedded devices?
>>
Can I put openbsd on a x220? Can't find information on specific models or even time frames just that "old thinkpads work".
>>
>>54211544
>no company today would ever be so stupid to be influenced by anyone outside of their legal team
I should mention actually all the startups of today that try and fail, there's so many that it's insane. They all have the same ideology posted on their site for months before they disappear forever.
>>
>>54211544
>Apple
>being so liberal and open with their hardware and software
bwahahahahaha
>>
>>54211607
The PS4 is a hardware product, it runs a modified FreeBSD for its OS with Sony specific software on top of it. The BSD specific portions are contributed back to the BSD mainline. That's not dodging the question it's you not understanding the product or the post you're replying to.

>Where's the source code for the software for their embedded devices?
What part of "mainline" is ambiguous, the PS3 code is in the POWER64 repo, the UFS tools made for the PS2 memory cards may have been phased out by now or been repurposed, they be in the generic sys repo for all branches up to some revision, the embedded stuff is usually in the MIPS branch and the PS4 stuff will eventually go into x86 or x64.
>>
>>54211544
I use only free software because I believe that the technology I use should respect me and me alone. Did you know that proprietary software does not respect the user? The reason for this is because the owner of the software asks users to respect this policy; users actually choose to respect this policy of relying on software technology that does not respect them. This is politics.

As much as I want, I want to share the technology that I have with my friends but the owners of the technology will have cause to sue when the find out. This is politics.

When I take the time to analyze a piece of software/hardware combination and then document its internals to the rest of the world so that we can all modify our own machines, the manufacturers and distributors of the technology will sue me. This is politics.

As much as I want to focus on only the technology, living in the real world means that there are consequences that I am liable to face regardless of how little I choose to educate myself about them. I can't change everything by myself, I can spend time learning about the important details and help raise the level of education among my friends and peers.
>>
>>54211623
Serious question, how young are you?
>>
>>54211667
>modified FreeBSD
Are all those modifications in the mainline FreeBSD?
>>
>>54205422
No, none.
>>
>>54205422
Being a DJ, and not using Pioneer CDJs? Not a dj.
>>
>>54205422
I dont want to be limited by developers political and mental standpoints.I will install what ever software i want,wheather you like it or not,you limiting me is the only factor
>>
>>54210090
Problem is, all that permissive licenses have done is allowed companies to take advantage of the population. Those companies share their data with governments and are owned by people with all the money, so "anarchistic" licenses just mean that whoever has the money and controls the labour force has the power.

They give more power to those who already have it, while copyleft licenses force those with power to give up more of their power.
>>
>>54211768
I take that back, he's using CDJs
>>
>>54211717
How would I know? What Sony releases is what they release, you'd have to ask if it's all of it. It's pretty likely given that they wouldn't modify the userland and the stuff they contribute most of the time is kernel stuff. In the past they have released original tools relating to BSD such as the aforementioned UFS tools.

The things they don't release are Sony specific products like the GameOS running on top of the BSD hypervisor.
>>
>>54211773
mental illness: the post
>>
>>54211678
I don't mean to mock you for your beleifs but that type of propaganda you put in the first part of your post is the exact thing people dislike seeing.

You're entitled to hold your opinion and discuss it with others but you should do your best not to push it on the public or the company you work for.
>>
>>54211810
>drank the koolaid
>>
>>54211805
holy shit, you're so delusional
>>
>>54211835
Propaganda? Do you honestly believe that proprietary software serves the users who choose them? Protip: proprietary software is designed to serve the people who own the software, not the users who choose to use it
>>
>>54211861
>Okay but can you list one example where a company took a BSD-licensed work, made it proprietary, and didn't release their changes?
>>Sony does it
>That's not true though
>>wow you're delusional
Okay.
>>
>>54205422

Congratulations, you found out that whole "Muh freedum" is nothing but talk and politics.

Peasants trying to become noblemen by trying to shit talk constantly about others.
>>
>>54211907
You're an idiot if you thought free software is anything but the politics of software distribution.
>>
>>54211878
You must misunderstand the meaning of propaganda, what I think is irrelevant, it's the nature of what you're saying and how you say it.

Let's not start a tangential discussion though, we obviously disagree on the original and there's not much else to say, if there is I concrete anyway as I'm not in the mood anymore.
>>
>>54211926

And you're not really "free" if you choose bad written drivers over quality drivers, just because a company made them.

>You're free to like what I like
>>
>>54211878
>>54211973
>concrete
concede
Thanks spellcheck.
>>
>>54211990
I don't care if Apple or Microsoft or Oracle or Coca Cola writes my hardware drivers - the author who wrote the driver is not a problem. The issue is all about the politics of my freedom on my own computer. The drivers should respect my freedom because if it does, I can always improve the state of the drivers. I cannot control my own computer if the drivers do not respect my freedom.
>>
>>54211973
>The word propaganda is often used in a negative sense, especially for politicians who make false claims to get elected or spread rumors to get their way. In fact, any campaign that is used to persuade can be called propaganda.

The nature of what I'm saying is that ignoring politics is a fool's game. It's as smart as burying your head in the sand and hoping it will go away by itself.
>>
>cares about muh freedom
>uses propietary hardware
>>
>>54210090
>most anarchist license

wtf?
>>
most of you faggots aren't doing your homework.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/freedom-or-power.en.html
>>
>>54211878
>Protip
kill yourself
>>
>>54211810
totally succinct to me
>>
>>54212401
Hardware is a different issue to software. The issues about proprietary software and proprietary hardware are not the same.
>>
>>54212962
PROTIP: to defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies
>>
>>54212977
What's different about it ? It's not free as in free speech + no insight of the code
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.