[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ hate Wayland?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
Why does /g/ hate Wayland?
>>
Because it will never be finished

/thread
>>
>>54202321
It's almost ready anon, it'll ship with Fedora 25
>>
>>54202297
beccause it's linux only and can't be used on other unixes like the BSDs
>>
>>54202572
"it will definetly ship with fedora 20, 21 if EVERYTHING goes wrong"
>>
>>54202297
oh shit pls sauce me up senpai
>>
>>54202297
Its just canonical raiding /g/
>>
File: btfo.png (39 KB, 660x678) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
39 KB, 660x678
>>54202585
Great things take time.

Enjoy your outdated x11 though.
>>
Because I need X compatibility anyway for xfig.
>>
>>54202627
What do these numbers even mean?
>>
>>54202625
Mir - The Way of the Future
>>
>>54203151
It's obviously the amount of activated terranickles.
>>
File: WwylandYutani Corp - Wallpaper.jpg (162 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
WwylandYutani Corp - Wallpaper.jpg
162 KB, 1280x1024
>>54202297
Why would we? Their terraforming colonies offer great opportunities of work, i can't wait to bring my family to a new planet and help making it a home for us and others, should be going LV-426 in a few days, damn, i'm excited always wanted to work on another planet, i bet the kids will love it too.
>>
>>54202297
the concept is good.
a displayserver that is designed for modern features and modern hardware? yes please.
but, and a big BUT. the engineers behind wayland dont seem to be competent. not one bit.
read up a bit on waylands internal development and the struggle between decisions that are made.
its both hilarious and sad. and a bit scary.
plus add that wayland is built on 32bit librarys in part. even for the 64bit version.
>>
>>54202297
Apparently it doesn't: https://github.com/Cloudef/loliwm

Although everyone sensible knows that Canonical's integrated approach with Mir is superior to the freetard, CADT approach of Fedora wearers.
>>
Because it's still horribly unstable even after years of work, X compatibility is utter shit, compositing slows everything down just like turning it on in X does (and you can't not use compositing in Wayland), and while the idea of having a more secure display server is admirable, it just ain't going to happen and still be a useful user experience and time would be better spent making sure that people only install trusted programs.
>>
>>54202297
im just waiting for nvidia drivers for it senpai.
>>
>>140619654
This, it is mostly chicken and eggs problem for now. Wayland is ready, it is just Nvidia have to push those drivers.
>>
>>54202627
>m- muh games

Wayland is not a replacement for the desktop ecosystem X provides. It's just going to cause a bunch of non-standard fragmented desktop environments, and nail the coffin of portable applications by forcing dependency on a single desktop environment's toolkit for the most basic of tasks.

Clients of a Wayland desktop are third-class citizens. You literally can't even write your own program that accepts hotkeys, you have to hope your desktop environment's window manager has one (or write your own, lolgoodluckwiththatmess), or if it has one, use its probably environment-specific protocol for registering hotkeys. It's going to be a fucking mess.

And why do people consider forced compositing and the loss of network transparency and flexibility as benefits? Is wanting a GPU in every system that wants a graphical environment ever so toolkit writers can do full-screen 60 FPS updates for no reason as good thing now? X can do crazy multi-head setups, and you can literally manage them like screen sessions, move a window between different PCs and barely notice the difference in interactivity (assuming it uses a non-retarded toolkit like Gtk2, not Gtk3 or Qt5).

Literally fuck anyone who thinks the "Wayland desktop" is a good thing.
>>
File: 1231918082168.jpg (44 KB, 486x486) Image search: [Google]
1231918082168.jpg
44 KB, 486x486
>>54203262
>yfw giger and scott were prophets
>aliens was not a work of fiction but a warning of what is to come
>>
>>54202297
whats the sauce on this? reverse search shits on me with "anime"
>>
Mir is better
>>
>>54202297
No real benefits over x11.
>>
>>54202321
>/threading its own thread
>>
It's the exact same as X except more glitchy.
>>
Wayland is great. It has literally no serious issues left and is much faster than X.
>>
>>54203766
Use sadpanda image search
>>
>>54203338
>while the idea of having a more secure display server is admirable, it just ain't going to happen and still be a useful user experience and time would be better spent making sure that people only install trusted programs.
The entire "must run X11 as root" bit has been discussed for, oh, forever. There have even been proposals on how to fix this situation so it could run as a non-root process. In which case, why the fuck aren't we moving towards that?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/Proposals/linux-console-daemon.html
>>
>>54204160
I'm already running X as non-root, what's the issue?
GDM crap?
>>
>>54204093
It has the worst reverse image search I've ever seen, you need the full page for it to find anything
>>
>>54202297
Quit sexualizing Maki you fuks
>>
>>54202627
>furmark
AHAHahahaHHa
>>
>>54205616
What is a good benchmark?
>>
>>54202297
Buggy as shit, fuckall software available for it, max 10 xwayland windows because fuck you (that's literally the only reason), was supposed to be ready 5 years ago and every other month it's "it's going to be ready soon!!1", etc. I bet redhat is involved, too.
>>
File: 1449868391994.jpg (18 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1449868391994.jpg
18 KB, 413x395
>>54203420
>Linux
Not even once
>>
>>54203420
The good things are:
-Lower-level. As is, X is slow as fuck because it does something like 5 update ops everytime it should only be doing one, and there's no fixing this.
-Does one thing well[*]. It only does the rendering, nothing else. This is good because if it's compromised, you can't be keylogged. The attack surface and damage potential both shrink significantly.
-New. This is good due to poor software engineering practices in the time X was made as well as all the garbage accumulated since its creation. Reminder that X includes a print server.

After that, a framework on top of wayland that gives everything X had can be developed. Because it's task-oriented, it will perform better and be more secure.

[*] it doesn't actually do it well yet.
>>
would be using it if scrolling worked with my trackball.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.