[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 20
File: 1454203346058.png (143 KB, 1442x532) Image search: [Google]
1454203346058.png
143 KB, 1442x532
If you are serious about switching to Linux, use it exclusively for 2 weeks.
Avoid booting to windows for that period of time, or you are likely to start retreating back to it instead of getting used to linux as your new home and working on making it feel comfortable

You can safely experience installation process and the basic usage through a virtual machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33sFFhgkWk

>Recommended for Beginners:
Xubuntu, Mint, openSUSE

>Learn to RTFM - Read The Friendly Manual
man <insert command here>
for example: man lsblk
>>
du -h | sort -rh | less
>>
Fedora with selinux.
Firejail and selinux sandbox to run apps
>>
File: 1461492997.png (148 KB, 742x684) Image search: [Google]
1461492997.png
148 KB, 742x684
>>54199392
pretty nifty
>>
>>54199491
Windows...
>>
About to install Arch after a one year hiatus because some update broke suspend. Has anything changed? How's GNOME doing these days?
>>
>>54199380
Nobody is going to use your faggot non-standard thread OP, so don't make this more painful than it needs to be.

<<<<< GNU THREAD >>>>>

>>54199517

>>54199517

>>54199517
>>
>>54199537
What did you use that year?

gnome is too restrictive, badly customizable for me
but it should be pretty nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu0VSKvfNEI
>>
>>54199574
>>54199537
also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU2f_jkPRq4
>>
>>54199574
>What did you use that year?
Debian stable first then Ubuntu. Pretty comfy OSes and a change every once in a while feels good.
>>
Is there a way to set where new windows open in Unity? They always open in the bottom right and it's pretty inconvenient for me.
>>
>>54199397
What does this mean?
>>
>>54199706
xubuntu got it for sure
you can see it here
https://youtu.be/JkSTa9ITISY?t=5m08s

not sure about xubuntu, probably yes but need dconf or something
>>
>>54199773
Fedora comes with SELinux by default
>>
>>54199380

Was trying out kubuntu instead of gnome/ubuntu just to see what it was like.

Kubuntu does not seem to play nice with UEFI out of the box. I havent even installed yet the live cd is crapping out.

Drops me at a commend line asking for a user name. User:kubuntu password: works but then I just have some command line and it hasnt installed anything.

Any tips for this? The Gnome release just plays nice out of the box.
>>
>>54199537
What you should do is not waste time copying and pasting shit from a wiki and instead install Ubuntu LTS or Debian Sid or CentOS and learn something more transferable than how to manually do nothing. Pick up a programming language, or study for LPIC/RHEL certs if you want to actually git gud at GNU/Linux. Use GNU/Linux to do things. Don't use things to do GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54199706
>>54199790
Okay it was a quick Google search away, I'm just dumb. For anyone else wondering:
Install compizconfig-settings-manager, then open it and go to Window Management --> Place Windows (enable it if it's not already) --> In Placement Mode choose Centered.

Weird that Unity Tweak Tool doesn't have this.
>>
>>54199871
try ctrl+alt+F7?
or go through all TTY...
maybe you got switched in to wrong one
happened to me like 2 days ago when trying new xubuntu
>>
I am serious about switching to Linux but open source drivers suck dick for my old amd gpu. i just tested ubuntu 16.04 lts today opened a web page with animated google ads and pc literally died. took me 30 seconds to close that tab then everything returned back.
>>
>>54199992

Ive tried switching between the TTY's only the first is active and I cant get a gui up even after logging in.

When I turn off UEIf I get the normal try or install kubuntu screen though so I am doing that.

Might be something in UEFI getting confused and I am going to wipe and install kubuntu before turning UEFI back on and see if it works.
>>
>>54200009

You could try different distros. Unity shit up my 390x as well. Something about it. Gnome never gave me trouble.

And ya closed source drivers are kind of a thing that you need.
>>
>>54200029
to install closed source drivers i need an old version of X server its only available in ubuntu 12 atm. i don't want to use old distro for now i will stick with winblows.
>>
Skylake + Fan control

I wen through Arch Wikipage
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_speed_control

but I dont even have any fan listed in sensor output

anyone got it working?

I am incredibly annoyed that even at 2 seconds heavy CPU load I hear cpu fan increasing RPM
its not loud, but just the fact that theres change is irritating
the temps are like 35°C

I had some fan control set with my previous phenom and I never knew about it afterwards..

But seems skylake / Z170 mobos are not yet supported by lm_sensors

I am wondering if I should not just connect the cpu fan to fractals design fanspeed controller... cause shit is getting ridiculous... but if I go gaming in to windows I dotn wanna go manually changing fan speed or be worrying about high temp loads...
>>
>>54200050

What gpu do you have? You went beyond the default repositories right? There are ones just for those drivers.
>>
>>54200078
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
>>
>>54200059
I got a familiar problem. I dont know exactly how i fixed it (it wasnt with skylake though).

But i had something to change at the boot params. Maybe this helps you with your search
>>
>>54200100

Whats your cpu you might be better off just switching to integrated graphics. There are drivers for you but I wouldnt be surprised if they are shit.
>>
>>54200117
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz

recently upgraded from t6400
>>
Ubuntu 16.04 installed... randomly it freezes
I think it's a hardware issue, maybe a driver?
How can you diagnose such a problem, considering the freeze happens randomly and totally freezes the comp (mouse doesn't move - screen becomes a "screenshot")
>>
>>54200158

Sort of new myself but I know logs are kept in a folder. Might be eci/eti or something like that. Cant check my own command line I am installing kubuntu at the moment.

Might have to google for a better idea of which text file has the error messages dumped into it.

tail command prints the last 10 or so lines of a file to the terminal as well btw.
>>
>>54199926
I've using Linux for fifteen years and I work as a programmer, but thanks for your interest
>>
>>54200181
>arch user
>employed
good one m8
>>
>>54200192
trolling Arch users only works if they're really clueless. He just wanted an opinion on Arch and Gnome, and if suspend is still broken. Why not stop being triggered by every mention of the name "Arch"?
>>
File: Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg (52 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Jar Jar is my waifu.jpg
52 KB, 500x329
>>54200220
>He
I know it's you.
>>
>>54200192
Thanks for making me laugh
it rarely happens these days
>>
Is there anything wrong or bad about Ubuntu Mate?
>>
>>54200309
using Debian with mate would be better. Apart from that, no
>>
the other day, I asked you all about a DNS name server benchmark tool for Ubuntu.
I found it.
If anyone is interested in infinitesimally increasing your internet connection speeds, it should be useful.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/namebench/
>>
>>54200309
there is no reason to go mate over xfce IMO
>>
>>54199537
Replying to myself, I've installed Arch but I fucking forgot to install wpa_supplicant. I think I'm too old for this. Also the whole install process, which was fun the first time I did it a couple of years ago was... meh. I don't even have the energy to reboot into the Arch USB drive and chroot to install wpa_supplicant. I think I'm going to try another distro now, maybe Kubuntu. Anyone using it?
>>
>>54200769
see, first someone thought you were an "arch linux best linux" archfag, now you've already taken the next step towards enlightenment: not having to set up everything for yourself is nice sometimes.
Since you are already an intermediate user, or seem to be one, why stick with babbys first linux, *buntu? Try Debian, Fedora or OpenSuse. My recommendation would be Fedora for Gnome 3, OpenSuse for KDE or Debian for everything else.
>>
File: Record.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Record.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>54199380
My Unity Dash filesearch is not working.
I've turned it on in settings and checked the dash filters. Everything should work fine.
So why isn't it working

>webm related
>>
>>54200945
I've already used all of these and my favorites are the Ubuntus.
>>
>>54200009
>i just tested ubuntu 16.04 lts
Try something non-mir based, like maybe the older LTS. I think this is Ubuntu's first official release with mir, I doubt it's stable
>>
File: but-why.gif (4 MB, 581x327) Image search: [Google]
but-why.gif
4 MB, 581x327
>>54200977
>>
When will Ubuntu 16.04.1 be released? I cant decide if I want to install it right or wait for 16.04.1
>>
So how do I disable UEFI? I disabled safe boot but no option for UEFI?

Also are the rumours about Ubuntu spying true?
>>
>>54201199
Why not?
>>
just a stupid question. have a:
>i7 4790k
>gtx 770
>16gb ram
>120gb ssd

why should i install linux on it? i have windows 10 on it and i feel pretty comfy... also, have used linux in the past, and even now on my notebook.
>>
>>54199380
>If you are serious about switching to Linux, use it exclusively for 2 weeks.
>Avoid booting to windows for that period of time, or you are likely to start retreating back to it instead of getting used to linux as your new home and working on making it feel comfortable

>Friendly Linux Thread
>painfully getting used to inferior software edition
>>
>>54201413
up to Ubuntu 15.10 everything you typed into the dash by default was sent to Canonicals servers and forwarded to Amazon. In one of the earliest instances of this feature the search queries went directly to Amazon. So, yes
>>54201435
use what you like, obviously, but I can't see Ubuntu as more than a heavily skinned Debian with terrible package policies (backporting different versions of packages, mixing old and new things).
I guess I just like to start with a clean slate, and Debian and Fedora provide packages the way upstream intended instead of branding them. I thought if you were interested in Arch you would feel similar, since Arch also doesn't brand their programs
>>
>>54199547
This thread has more replies you autist.
>>
>>54201497
So what is a district that will work with AMD processors/GPU ?
>>
File: 2015-11-03_18-21-46.png (909 KB, 886x456) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_18-21-46.png
909 KB, 886x456
>>54200059
I'm on skylake. Never noticed the fan acting wonky. Changed all my fans settings in uefi.

Skylake is a bit of a nightmare on Linux. All sorts of bugs. Tried every distro mostly. Same stuff. Sound broken. Wont boot. iGpu wont work, hdmi output is broken. Kernel 4.6rc4 supposedly fixes a boat load of bugs. But no one is on 4.6 rc4, yet.

Anyone want to talk about Skylake on Linux? What kernel and distro you are using, and some bugs, and bug fixes?
>>
>>54199491
>16GB of 4chan pictures
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>54201461
so dont switch to linux if you are comfortable and already know what linux has to offer since you are running it on your notebook

I dualboot arch and windows 10
win10 only for games, photoshop and some larger excel projects

I like this setup, the feeling that I can run any possibly malware ridden game crack and any software crack without fearing that it impacts my main system is nice one

I also feel more in control of my system, no MS telling me I must update,.. and I am learning more stuff just by using Arch.
>>
>>54201461
>why should i install linux
"asking about the practical advantages of free software is like asking about the practical advantages of not being handcuffed."
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/practical.html
>>
File: 1446506678604.gif (253 KB, 280x213) Image search: [Google]
1446506678604.gif
253 KB, 280x213
>>54201461
Learn something new. There are many free programs that are awesome on Linux that windows dosent have. Networking, encryption, youtube-dl, ssh, vpn, all sorts of cool shit, m8. No spying, also.
>>
>>54201531
Since kernel 4.4 I had no problems with skylake
before that I needed a boot parameter for integrated gpu to work correctly

the fan problem I noticed some time ago, but recently when I started to use some CPU intensive stuff in my python project I noticed it more

I do search in a huge database that takes 1 second and cpu spikes for that second and I hear fan upping the rpm...

will check uefi if I cant set something more there
>>
>>54201582
So Arch on 4.4 /Skylake is fine with sound and igpu, correct? There are dozens of skylake bugs fixed in 4.6rc4, what did a bug search turn up?
>>
>>54201511
assuming that if you install Ubuntu's nonfree AMD drivers to get it working, then you can install those same drivers from RPMfusion or Debian's nonfree repos. They just don't use that Ubuntu tool for installing additional drivers, you have to do it yourself. That's a slight inconvenience I'm willing to have in exchange for all the advantages of not using a derivative distro.
>>
>>54201629
well for me it is...
jumpt to 4.5 did not bring any perceivable difference to me
I am also connected with dvi and hdmi on dual monitor setup
arch+i3wm
>>
>>54201537
>>54201569
on an hardware like that, which distro would you recommend? keep in mind that i don't do any sort of code and i don't want to spend lot of time to set it up (so no arch or gentoo). i was curious about fedora, would you recommend me?
>>
File: 1455158641651.jpg (41 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1455158641651.jpg
41 KB, 500x667
>>54201692
fedora was the only one to just werk for me. I still cannot get the igup recognized, however. It reverts to the Gallium driver, which gives a usable experience, but screen tearing occurs when watching video.
>>
>>54201692
I would recommend ubuntu
its really comfy and easy
you should try it just to know what its about
how it looks
how it feels

new one 16.04 came out 3 days ago so give it a try
for ubuntu theres absolutely huge community and hundreds of articles and you have zero problems googling out stuff

be on it for few weeks, if you like it keep it, if you feel the itch to try something different you will go for something new and now you will have frame of reference now you can compare other distros to the most popular one
>>
File: 1446578081653s.jpg (7 KB, 221x147) Image search: [Google]
1446578081653s.jpg
7 KB, 221x147
>>54201741
Yeah I tried to boot that shit up, and it black screened on me. So now what?
>>
>>54201461
Same here. I pretty much just game on my PC so I've used windows almost exclusively my whole life.

I haven't used linux since 2007 but sort of want to go back because I don't feel safe anymore on windows. I'm about as computer literate as you would expect any pc gamer to be, so not very. I feel like MS doesn't give a shit about my security anymore so I need to either learn to lock it down or switch to a new OS entirely.

But the games... will I have to give up gaming in order to migrate over, or keep a separate partition to dual boot windows? Do people still have to use VMs to run games in linux? If all I really do is game, is linux even right for me?
>>
>>54201764
how did you make the bootable media?
try this
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

I would also checkout your bios/uefi for settings that might fuck you
>>
>>54201786
rufus

I have fedora and debian installed, so it's not something I'm doing, m8te
>>
File: MNV.webm (516 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
MNV.webm
516 KB, 720x404
>>54201766
dualboot
with ssd it takes me ~10 seconds to get from linux to windows when I am feeling like killing
>>
File: 1446102831708s.jpg (2 KB, 125x78) Image search: [Google]
1446102831708s.jpg
2 KB, 125x78
>>54201766
If you never want to learn anything about security, or how your computer works and interacts, stay on windoze. You will have to learn new things. If this is frightening, or scares you, stay in your comfy space, in your alternate reality, and escape from your problems and growth, while immersed in your games.
>>
>>54201896
I feel like if I dual boot I'll just end up spending most of my time in windows because that's where the gaems are.

Does anyone have an example of a linux-only feature or program that keeps you coming back? I'm thinking I'll put ubuntu on one of my ssd's because it's free and why not, but want something to dig into a little bit so I don't get burnt out and/or frustrated and just switch back.
>>
I have ubuntu 16.04 on a rpi (systemd)
I can't seem to set the IP to something static.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
My /etc/systemd/network/50-cloud-init-eth0.link:
[Match]
MACAddress=<I assume this is correct, although I have no way to check it>

[Link]
Name=eth0
Address=192.168.1.100/24
Gateway=192.168.1.254

What is the easiest way to debug this?
Where should I append a command it will run at boot so I can see in my own log file that it works?
>>
Do I enable this?
>>
>>54202126
To me it's mostly about what the system doesn't do:
- no scheduling updates without my permission
- no constantly reading my hard drive doing god knows what
- if something works, it works, and never ever stops working

as for features and programs:
I love the simplicity of Gnome (gnome-boxes has to be the easiest GUI for virtual machines ever). That's however not to everybody's taste. Some people like to do everything in a terminal, and they can. Some people want to have a desktop that is very similar to Windows, and they use Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Some people like to change ALL the settings and they use KDE.
If one Desktop Environment has feature A (say, a photo application called Gwenview) and another one has a feature B I can mix them and use them both. I can install probably at least 5 different photo viewers, pdf readers, browsers, file managers etc. without paying for any of them and compare them, then throw all those out that I don't like.
If the developers of all this software do something stupid (like the Gnome developers giving up on Gnome 2) then likely someone else will continue developing the software in the way you liked it before. If there is a bug, you can report it and it'll get fixed.
And that's all without even using the terminal, that's a whole new level of awesomeness
>>
I need to create a package for arch but I'm getting bit lost in the documentation. All I need to is
./configure --prefix=/usr/ --enable-jack
make
make install

Is there a relatively simple pkgbuild I could edit/look at for this?
>>
>>54202443
Oh wait, if this is a package which is in the repo already would I just need to use ABS?
>>
How is Trisquel with driver support? Thinking of running it on an old Chromebook.
>>
>>54202508
If you have free compatible hardware then it's great. Pretty shitty if you don't.
>>
Is there a 'just enough' config for zsh?
I don't need something blasted as fuck like ohmyzsh, just a little amount to give me the general idea, something to build on
>>
>>54202531

I'll give it a try, give me something to do
>>
>>54202548
grml is usually sighted as a sane and minimal config
>>
try it here again to get some answers:

a client gave me their old server for free
what should i do with ?
>intel xeon e5420 quad 2.5Ghz
>12Gb Ram DDR2
>4x 500GB WD HDD
>>
>>54202980
Ooohh fun. Install lamp stack. Set up pfsense router on two cores. All sorts of shit, m8te
>>
Stupid question: Why is everybody using urxvt instead of xterm? Should I do it too?

ib4 performance - I literally cannot notice how fast xterm opens
>>
>>54203122
>Why is everybody using urxvt instead of xterm?
Because they're dumb.
>Should I do it too?
No.
>>
>>54203166
Well, I guess that's usually the answer
>>
>>54203122
it is better than xterm and is more customizable.
>>
>>54203195
>it is better than xterm
Jesus Christ, that's exactly why I have to ask. Every one of you faggot writes that everywhere on the internet without a hint of justification

>and is more customizable
What is customizable in urxvt that's not in xterm?
>>
I want to change distro but I placed an aluminium "Powered by Arch Linux" on my laptop and I can't bring myself to do it.
>>
Does Unity have the capability of displaying a progress bar on the sidebar icon for downloads, similar to how the Aero buttons in Win7 will have a green bar load across it as certain programs are downloading/working?

I feel as if I've seen a picture of Unity with that functionality, but I can't remember for certain.
>>
>>54203221
No need to get angry on the internet son, I just gave you justification. It is more customizable, has more features and is lighter in footprint.
>>
>>54203221
>What is customizable in urxvt that's not in xterm?
read the man pages
>>
>>54199871
Honestly it shouldn't just be broken. You probably need to redownload the ISO. Check the md5 hash this time. Also, use dd or cat to copy it, there are bugs in most of the "lol instant linux usb installer!" programs.
>>
>>54203264
The best "lol instant linux usb installer!" program for Windows is Linux Live USB Creator. Use that thing, everything else for Windows, even shit that tries to be dd for Windows, is garbage.

The best way is still using GNU to install with dd because that just fucking works, but I assume we're talking about someone wanting to do it from Windows.
>>
>>54201766
Steam has a lot of games, but you will have to give up quite a few of them. For example, 50 of my steam games work on Linux. I own 80 games. Mainly it's the triple A titles that don't work. But strategy games and rpgs and all of valve's games work on it.
>>
>>54203221
Not him, but I prefer URXVT for one simple reason, UNICODE. I need to display japanese folder names and xterm doesn't do that, or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it as easily as I can with urxvt. Xterm is perfectly fine, though. I used it for ages. I barley notice a difference other than the unicode thing.
>>
>>54203440
xterm supports utf-8. You just suck.
>>
>>54203222
aluminum you mean
>>
I like to use windows and dual boot with xubuntu. just werks

Arch with Cinnamon is nice too
>>
Alright ubuntu gnome is kind of shit, it's slow to boot, slow to shut down (from the power button in the panel, and just general doesn't feel that fast. I'm running it on a thinkpad t430 with i5 and 4GB of ram so my laptop isn't slow.

Where do I go now? I'm tuinking just plain old Unity or Ubuntu Mate, what do?
>>
How do I make a bootable USB with windows on Debian? I need to do a dualboot on another computer but my main one only uses Debian.
>>
File: 1449419775088.jpg (803 KB, 600x819) Image search: [Google]
1449419775088.jpg
803 KB, 600x819
>>54199380
>>
>>54203989
install ms-sys, create ntfs on usb and mark as bootable, write boot record with ms-sys to usb drive, copy files of iso to usb drive. done

but this doesnt work with 10, only 7.
>>
>>54203989
dd works with 7 iso
10 directly from ms requires unetbootin
>>
File: screen.png (27 KB, 700x577) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
27 KB, 700x577
Got a problem. I'm using Openbox on Arch and I'm trying to make Qt-Applifcations use my actual Icon-theme. Arch wiki says I'll have to set my icon theme in gconf under under desktop > gnome > interface.. problem is, when I open the gconf-editor, I don't have any nodes. pic related
>>
File: 1437216976753.png (245 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1437216976753.png
245 KB, 640x360
>>54199380
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54204068
>>54204056

Thanks a lot.
>>
Since this is the designated friendly linux thread, I'll ask here. Anyone have experience using linux on a server and thin client network? I've used Linux as my personal desktop for years but I'm drafting a plan to switch my office's network from individual desktops connected to a server to a thin client network. I'd like to hear from some pros here if it would be a good idea. I'm thinking of using CentOS.
>>
>>54204068
It most certainly does not.
>>
>>54204185
Linux is just a kernel.
>>
I used to run Arch for a couple months a few months ago, but then after an update, my Wi-Fi stopped working. If I reinstall it, I do ifconfig [adapter] down and then ip link set [adapter] down and then do wifi-menu and connect to my Wi-Fi and everything is good. Then I install the base doing pacstrap base base-devel and then reboot (well, I update grub on my Ubuntu partition and then boot up into the new Arch install).

So I boot up to Arch, and I try to do ifconfig down, and it says I'm missing a package, so I hook my phone up and tether it and connect doing dhcpcd [adapter] and then download the package, then I disconnect my phone and do ifconfig [adapter] down and then ip link set [adapter] down, then try to do wifi-menu. It says I need two packages to run wifi-menu, so I hook my phone up again and install wifi-menu.

I run wifi-menu and then it tries to scan for Wi-Fi, but it fails at scanning. Before doing pacstrap and installing the base system, Wi-Fi worked fine, but after, it stopped working.

The machine I run on is a Lenovo Yoga 13 (2012) [base model] and my wireless card is a Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8723AU 802.11n WLAN Adapter. Is there a fix for this at all or something I'm doing wrong? Or am I just plain out of luck?
>>
>>54204465
This thread is about the Linux kernel. For GNU/Linux disto-related things, please use this thread: >>54199517
>>
>>54204571
Sorry, thank you
>>
>>54202559
Nice, thanks
>>
>>54204342
GNU is just a meme
>>
File: 1454880970964.jpg (369 KB, 2000x1400) Image search: [Google]
1454880970964.jpg
369 KB, 2000x1400
If you're a normal person then you should ONLY install Ubuntu unless you enjoy tinkering with the operating system extensively.

This is especially true for 16.04 which features a far more simplified way to install applications.
>>
>>54200975
Is Unity's dash just a different skin on Gnome's file search?
>>
>>54204742

This thread is about the Linux kernel. For GNU/Linux disto-related things, please use this thread: >>54199517
>>
>>54204742
other .deb and .rpm bistros are acceptable. And suse is too. There's options for getting stuff done.
>>
>need paintool sai and I love foobar2k too much to give up windows but starting to warm up to the thought of learning Linux and being free as in freedom

>not sure if my Huion tablet has drivers on Linux or how well I can adjust to Krita

>don't know what DE or distro I want because even if I'm new to Linux I don't want to be cucked by a beginner distro like Ubuntu

What happened to elementary OS by the way?
>>
>>54204140
>my wife owns that exact teapot
>>
>>54204842

>>
>>54204844

You could try Xubuntu, it's Ubuntu without spyware and using XFCE. If you really care about freedom, try Trisquel?
>>
>>54204844
>cucked
I was going to answer your questions until you did that. Here's your (you)
>>
>>5420486

Oh sorry, thanks.
>>
>>54204866
Ubuntu doesnt have any spyware, memer.
>>54204844
see >>54204864
>>
>>54204112

Do this >>54202854. You don't need that gconf tweak at all. The only downside are the possible side-effects.
>>
>>54205486
see >>54204864
>>
>>54202486

You can use the abs.
Or just copy/paste the PKGBUILD from the website, so you don't have to install the abs.
>>
>>54205520
see >>54205506
>>
>>54202980
>seedbox
>mail server
>web server
>sftp/ftp/samba/nfs
>vpn
>gayem servers
>embry/plex media server
>dev ssh environment for programming

So many options. You have the ressources to do several of these in VMs too if you want
>>
>>54204742
This tbfh
>>
>>54201535
how new?
>>
Does anyone know why I'm getting
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
when I have mesa and the nVidia drivers installed and working while trying to start Steam? Steam was working, but then I updated and now it hangs while I'm trying to start it up. Games that I had installed before it broke still work though (ex. I can run Civ 5 through optirun and it works perfectly), so I suspect the issue has to do with Steam. Additionally, if I run Steam through optirun, I get that it fails to find the driver, but it gets further before hanging (I can briefly see the Checking Installation message box pop up before it dissapears and hangs).

I can't find anything online that fixes this; I tried removed libstdc++ from the steam folder so that it wouldn't use the built in library, but that didn't solve it.
>>
>>54207212
thats a problem with the steam runtime.
this should help:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues
>>
>>54207258
Thanks anon, I should have known to check the Arch wiki before I started googling like a retard
>>
File: 1453376715441.jpg (9 KB, 404x526) Image search: [Google]
1453376715441.jpg
9 KB, 404x526
>>54207322
>>54207258
>>54207212
>>54207071
>>54206322
>>
>>54207509
that's a great story anon
maybe you should tell someone that cares
>>
>>54207526
you go /g/irl
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.