[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RSS makes it really easy to fuck over blogs and news sites by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: rssButton_final1.jpg (12 KB, 323x307) Image search: [Google]
rssButton_final1.jpg
12 KB, 323x307
RSS makes it really easy to fuck over blogs and news sites by viewing their articles without bothering with their ads, so I'm surprised I don't see any mention of RSS anymore.

Do people still use RSS even?
>>
>>54153275
I do, mostly on my phone tho. I've got a widget that display the last article from all the feeds I follow.
>>
>>54153309
>>54153275

Oh and website just put a few line of the article so you have to visit the site to actually read the article, so you see ads if you don't have any ad-blocker
>>
I use it to follow seasonal anime while it's still airing.
Nothing more comfy than looking forward to something after knowing that it'll be automatically downloaded when you get home.
>>
Yes, I even follow Youtube channels via RSS.
>>
>>54153635
and here i thought i was the only one who did this
virtual brofist
>>
>>54153275
I use it, but only to keep up with web novel translations.
>viewing their articles without bothering with their ads
I don't use news websites, is there some reason ad blockers won't work?
>>
RSS iss broken ass shit always hass been.
>>
>>54154018
works for me.
>>
>>54153275
One of the best things ever
>>
Are there any non-botnet readers left?
>>
File: 1447304598531.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
1447304598531.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
>>54153275
>viewing their articles without bothering with their ads
How? Can't find anything less shittier than feedly
>>
>>54153275
I use Inoreader for my feeds, comfy as fuck to open your browser and see all the news and notifications you care about. Used to use Feedly before that, but found it wasteful for screen space and some other stuff I can't even remember anymore. And OwlRSS and Liferea before that.
>>
>>54156978
>>54157217
newsbeuter >>54155164

Use it with tt-rss server and you can share your newsfeeds among all devices.
>>
I also use newsbeuter. I use it for my podcasts too.
>>
>block ads
>problem solved
>>
>>54158030
right on anon, i've been having podbeuter core dump on me in the last few months. Don't know what is going on.
>>
I use RSS all the time. Lets me efficiently avoid click bait articles so I can focus on the slightly less click bait articles.

>>54153362
On behalf of WWW I apologize for our messy disbanding.
>>
I'd wager more people use ad blockers than RSS, and the ones using RSS are probably a subset of people using ad blockers
>>
>>54153635
wait what? wasn't this feature disabled by youtube like 5 years ago?

how do I do this
>>
>>54158258
The beauty of RSS is not about getting around ads as much as it is having all your feeds and sites aggregated in one place. Instead of going to each site individually and dealing with slow browser load times.
>>
>>54158272
not the anon you replied to but...

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=USERNAMEofChannel
>>
>>54153275

>Do people still use RSS even?

1) The masses don't understand RSS. It was poorly marketed and the tools were awful. Also, tons of idiots made orange buttons that said "XML" when they should have said "RSS" or, better yet, something like "Links to Automatic Update Feed". There was tons of confusion for regular folks.

2) RSS was annoying to deal with. I used a tool that posted Facebook notes automatically from my blog's Travel section. At some point, Wordpress changed the way it worked, that interface stopped working correctly, and it would just feed the entire blog to FB. So, my feed got polluted with all the tech-related stuff I write (just notes on things I've done recently to help others).

3) Google created the best RSS reader, Google Reader. After tons of people switched to it (and I think at least one paid RSS reader company shut down), Google shut Reader down. Fuckers.
>>
>>54158349
damn, thanks a lot
>>
was using tinytinyrss on my server, but kinda too lazy to reinstall it.

do use rss feeds though, since that's how podcasts work.
>>
I'm using Feedly currently, but are there better options? Haven't had any complaints but curious.
>>
>>54153275
It's still used in the scientific community.
You can use a RSS aggregators to collect papers off pubmed for instance.
>>
>>54158108
not him but I reverted to an older package because of this and podcasts work fine again
>>
where are my quiterss bros?

local client running in systray > any web ui that still requires active checking
>>
File: QuiteRSS-Logo.jpg (8 KB, 240x234) Image search: [Google]
QuiteRSS-Logo.jpg
8 KB, 240x234
>>54163001
forgot pic
>>
newsbeuter niggers, trying it now, but would like something like readability on it for those rss feeds that cut off the content in the feed

any plugin for that shit?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (52 KB, 1267x576) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
52 KB, 1267x576
I still use it
>>
>>54163560
what program is this
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (65 KB, 1236x672) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
65 KB, 1236x672
>>54163841
It's just a webpage I did, being viewed in Palemoon, this is what it looks like in Opera
>>
I've got a feedly for keeping track of the webcomics I follow.

I also use it for a couple different news sites.
>>
>No pics

Dropped
>>
Atom is better, isn't it?
>>
I did use it, then Google reader was shut down
>>
>>54163969
Is the feed just static/fake or some sort of javascript?
>>
>>54159170
feedly is a botnet
>>
>>54159170
I use Commafeed because it uses screen space way more efficiently than feedly IMHO
Also free-as-in-stallman, so you can host it on your own
>>
there are ads in rss
the majority of feeds dont include them
the ny times is an example.
check their main feeds
>>
RSS is an international scam invented by Russian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, just like the global warming and round earth lies. Lies, lies, lies. What lies do you guys tell yourself every day? I convince myself that I'm satisfied with life while being observed by lizards 24 hours a day. It gets kind of slimy and chameleotic sometimes, that even I can't ignore it anymore. I drill holes into my walls to look at them, but they disappear as soon as I look through it, just like your father when you were still a kid.

Take care
>>
File: 222.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
222.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>54166162
Yea it works and is dynamic, feeds are ajax loaded
>>
>>54153275
>RSS makes it really easy to fuck over blogs and news sites

Not really m8, for RSS to work site owners have to implement it, they can either enable/disable it, show partial or full content or only headlines.

As for rss services feedly is ok but stopped using out privacy concerns, now I use a desktop application, Liferea since it's the only one that fully supports Unity Desktop.
>>
>>54170220
>show partial or full content or only headlines.
Thats why you use plugins that curl/wget the full content.
>>
>>54169505
What's the calendar for?
>>
>>54153275
I use RSS. I am surprised fucking google could not find a way to monitize it
>>
>>54157217
I use Innoreader
>>
>>54157217
+ use Text based Browser (lynx, w3m)
>>
>>54170614
Nothing really, just copypasted it from the web sometime ago to try it out and just left it there
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.