[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay faggots, show me a profitable linux only software that isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 4
File: 1461180840178.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1461180840178.png
7 KB, 420x420
okay faggots, show me a profitable linux only software that isn't the fucking kernel or related to software development.

by profitable I don't mean just one guy being able to live, I mean, something comparable to industry standart windows software.

I know you faggots keeps showing red hat like fucking sheeps to show open source is profitable without understanding I can't do shit with just the kernel.

It seems any software that isn't related to CS in linux is made by amateurs working in free time.
>>
>>54152201
Show me a profitable Windows software that isn't related to gay men and Adobe shit.
>>
>>54152201
pajeet, pls
>>
>>54152407
All the multimedia software used in hollywood nerd.
All the music software used in radio nigger music labels.
All the gaymen development software.
>>
>>54152407
Autodesk.
>>
>>54152407

Everything
>>
you can't because linux a shit
>>
>>54152201
Apache
>>
>>54152547
>always is the same faggots showing software shit only CS faggots give a shit about
hilarious
>>
>>54152479
Maya is available for Linux.
>>
File: bait.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>54152201
>>
All the software in your fucking router, your cable box, your fridge (if you aren't poor), and the million other places you are too stupid to look are running profitable Linux based software.
>>
>>54153269
>ask for user software I may give a shit
>huh duh the kernel
lmao
>>
>>54152567
>i-i-i only meant end user software!
>>
>>54152201
Back to int faggot
>>
>>54153317
>huh duh an OS targeted towards CS engineers have profitable bussiness in those sectors.
may as well be shocked because apple makes a profit of music.
>>
Anyone with half a brain deploys SAP on linux
>>
>>54152567
>Apache
>CS
Anon do you know what computer science is? Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not supposed to be here if you're under 18.
>>
>>54153479
>IT shit
>not related to CS
sorry for not using code monkey software engineer then.
>>
>>54153300
Are you retarded? Your router doesnt only consist of a kernel. It usually has a webserver, a busybox with builtin shell, drivers for the decoder etc..
>>
>>54153525
>garbage only engineers care about
I rest my case.
>>
>>54153300
Gonna play into this bait, despite the fact that all the answers posted thus far have been valid but a good example of end-user software that gets used extremely often for productivity purposes is ffmpeg.

>>54153511
IT has nothing to do with CS you fucking mong.
>>
>>54153561
>IT shit is not related to your code monkey math degree
hilarious level of delusion
>>
>>54152201
Proprietary linux drivers are linux only, and gpus usually make a pretty nice profit, anon
>>
>>54153549
>tell me software that are actually used regularly by the industry
>okay here you go
>NO NOT THAT SOFTWARE THAT DOESN'T COUNT
>B-but why? It's stuff that gets used all the time in the real world
>BECAUSE I SAAID SO WOW YOU GUYS ARE SUCH FAGS WITH NO REAL SOFTWARE RELEVANCE IN THE REAL WORLD
>>
>>54152201
> VMWare ESXi
> MySQL (Or the LAMP stack in general)
> RedHat
> ZenOSS
> Untangle

>>54152407
> Exchange
> Anything Autodesk
> Anything Intuit
> Most of Micros's PoS systems
> SAGE (MAS90 / MAS200)
> Microsoft SQL

You both should really get out of your parents basement and try to live in the real world.
>>
>>54153594
Other way around, bud. I'm a sysadmin. I think it's absolutely fucking hilarious that you think a code monkey learns absolutely anything that would be relevant to the job that I do from his degree. That being said, I'm not a software developer, and you are absolutely delusional if you think IT guys do anything to do with software development or software engineering.
>>
>>54153561
>ffmpeg
>making a profit

>>54153606
>CS shit

>>54153632
>huh duh all the answers only matter for autistic CS majors and code monkeys
>see, linux is superior
>open source is extremelly profitable

>>54153676
>gay CS programming shit
>>
>>54153696
>I'm an audio engineer, It's hilarious you think singers are even related to me. and you're delusional if singing has anything to do with audio engineering or music
>>
Loaded question. GNU/Linux is primarily a developer and server OS. Of course nobody is making money on desktop shit, especially considering most software is free as in beer as well as in freedom.
>>
>>54152201
Oh, and android phone parts often have proprietary drivers, which are linux only, and are usually included in the price of the part.

>>54153699
Oh, so you dont need drivers for your computer? I hope you'll do this with your car too, put brick on gas pedal and try it, faggot
>>
>>54153699
>>huh duh all the answers only matter for autistic CS majors and code monkeys
Considering the fact that it runs on all your random electronics that are fucking everywhere, I'd venture to say it matters a lot to you, anon.
>>
>>54153699
>gay CS programming shit
Got it. You have no idea what you're talking about. Carry on.
>>
>>54152201
I'd simply like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free part of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is simply a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
B2B software uses a lot of Linux.
>>
>>54153740
>>54153747
>>54153752
>the question is about profitable end user desktop applications
>huh duh I'll post profitable developer shit
what am I supposed to do with the kernel and a windows manager?
>>
>>54153783
>what am I supposed to do with the kernel and a windows manager?
Are you even trying?

You asked for profitable software. MySQL was sold to Oracle for a very large sum, RedHat was the first Linux vendor to offer an IPO and maintain it (though they've gone to shit as a company, I hear), ZenOSS (and Nagios) are network monitoring systems, and Untangle is network management / firewall suite.

Then there is VMWare. The bare metal hypervisor is a custom Linux build.

As for what YOU do with any of these things, fuck if I care. That wasn't the question.
>>
>>54153783
>what am I supposed to do with the kernel and a windows manager?
Have tons of neat devices like routers and shit that actually fucking work. If you aren't capable of seeing how stuff like, you know, having an internet, is useful to end users you should probably go and kill yourself. Jesus christ talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.
>>
>>54153874
>show me a profitable linux only software that isn't the fucking kernel or related to software development.
>>
>>54153899
None of the things >>54153874 posted had anything to do with the kernel OR with software development you underage twat.
>>
>>54153892
>didn't read the OP
>get butthurt when get told his answer is not the correct one.
>>
>>54153899
None of them are related are software development.

Also, please fuck off back to >>>/v/...
>>
>>54153919
>>54153936
>related to software development or IT shit
>related to IT shit
>get butthurt because he can't answer the question without naming software that only engineers care about
>>
File: moving the goalposts.jpg (28 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
moving the goalposts.jpg
28 KB, 300x240
>>54153965
>>
>>54153965
Software development != I.T.

You lost. Get over it. Go be butt blasted somewhere else.
>>
>>54153985
>can't name a profitable software that isn't related to the IT industry
>>
>>54152201
Molpro
Granted, it's also available for OS X. But not for Windows.
>>
>>54154001
>get butthurt because he can't name one software that is linux only that cost millions that non engineers give a shit about
>>
>>54154007
see >>54153892

End user embeded tech doesn't have to land itself in the hands of IT. Now you're just running in circles, bud.
>>
>>54154065
>still gives examples of software only CS majors, code monkeys, database people or diferent flavours of IT workers (aka code monkeys) give a shit about.
>thinks he's clever because I didn't name all the diferent labels code monkeys have in the world
>>
Cryptolocker
>>
>>54154041

Then again, there's always Andriod and Kindle...
>>
>>54154110
>still have to resort to diferent flavours of the kernel
>but you're not using the 100% wikipedia definition to troll us, therefore your point is wrong
>>
>>54152201
linux devs are competent and use permissive licenses

that means the end-user software they produce is usually trivial to port

therefore commercially successful applications that are mainly developed on/for linux are usually available on windows or os x too
>>
>>54154204
>gives wikipedia definition
>still no examples of GPL software non code monkeys give a shit
>still no examples of GPL software that are worth millions that isn't related to IT shit
>but datase and IT shit isn't code monkey
>my glorified math baby degree isn't a code monkey degree
>>
>>54152201
>okay faggots, show me a profitable linux only software that isn't the fucking kernel or related to software development.

Every Android app every.
>>
>>54154253
>Every Android app every.
Almost all of the successful ones are iOS clones/ports though.
>>
>>54154253
>the first non loser answer
>huh duh we have to take android to claim linux is good
>bragging about your nephew archievements
>>
Oracle
>>
>>54154298
>keep giving IT shit
>>
>>54154091
So only CS fags care about having an internet? Okay, you can unplug it right now, faggot.
>>
>>54154280
I don't think so, and even if that were true, there are millions of them that aren't so this disproves your argument.

>>54154295

Android is as much Linux as GNU/Linux. Linux is a kernel.
>>
>>54154280
Yeah, especially all the google apps
>>
>>54154426
Yeah Gmail and Google Maps are total iOS clones.
>>
>>54154394
>acting this retarded
Face it, you have no example.

>>54154419
>>54154426
They are all not profitable though. They don't make any money with it (safe for collecting your data; which they don't need apps for if you're running Android.)
>>
>>54154469
Play Store totally doesnt make profit, right guize?
>>
Listen, brother.
We, software engineers, computer scientists, computer hobbyists don't give a flying fuck about what OS you use.
We use linux based OSs because it's fast, efficient and provides us with all the tools we need to do our jobs. Windows, on the other hand is slow as f***, tries to control your usage of the computer (automatically turning on antivirus shit, automatically doing shit you didn't ask for jn general), among other stupid shit.
If you can't find a use for linux, don't use it.
I literally don't even have to think about this, because to me it's clear that linux is almost always the way to go.
>>
>>54154394
>I should care about medicine books and medicine software because I go to the hospital
>I should care about the software used to build my car because I drive one

>>54154419
Unless those x86 faggots get their shitty pc android port and people start using android on their PC, linux/GNU or wathever you wanna call your desktop distro it's not the same as android.

>>54154489
android is the only profitable shit linux have and even then, iOS is much more profitable.

99% of android apps are not profitable though.
>>
>>54154489
Google Apps (Maps, GMail, Search, etc.)? They don't make profit.
Most other successful ones? Are usually iOS clones/ports.
>>
>>54154493
>ask question about profitable linux software that isn't related to code monkey shit (IT is code monkey also, pajeet).
>gets butthurt because outside android there's no profitable shit outside IT shit
>huh duh, we don't need you
lmao
>>
File: internet arguments won.jpg (70 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
internet arguments won.jpg
70 KB, 600x516
>>54154469
>They are all not profitable though.

Are you kidding me? Don't you ever talk to my wife's son again!

Developers make tons of money off of mobile apps. There are more mobile developers than desktop developers now. Android devs make like 80k US.

>>54154511
You didn't say GNU/Linux in the OP, so you were checkmated by my post.

Pic related. >mfw
>>
>>54154511
>hurr durr iOS is much more profitable
>moving the goalposts
>>
>>54154511
Dude if you don't care about that kind of software then don't use linux. Use whatever piece of fucking shit OS you like that lets you play games or use word or excel or whatever you do in your shitty salaried job to please your boss.
>>
>>54154568
Okay, please tell me around how much Google makes off of all their apps.
>>
Apache
>>
>>54154606
See >>54152547 and the reply chain.
>>
>>54154568
>>54154580
>get's butthurt because I didn't used the proper wikipedia terms that covers all the user cases.
>but muh definition has to be 100% proper, it has to use GNU/Linux FOSS software for the x86/x84 destkop

>>54154596
I use windows because it's best OS for multimedia creation dumbass.
I would use linux if it were even mediocre for multimedia shit.
It's worse than mediocre for my work.
>>
>>54154559
Did you miss click quoting me?
I was just saying that you guys aren't forced at all to use linux and we have no interest in getting you to use it.
WE use it to because it's what suits us the most for what we do. You can use chat you want.
>>
>>54154640
good luck having a profitable bussiness doing open source GNU/Linux for the x86/x64 desktop beyond IT shit.
>>
>>54154634
Then keep using windows? Are you retarded or what?
I don't use windows because it's not suited for the things I do. Don't use linux if it's not made for you.
>>
>>54154668
>still can't answer the question
>>
>>54154598
Billions of dollars.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-Google-make-money-from-Android

>>54154634

You can run Android x86 and RemixOS on any PC so I don't get your point. Just because it doesn't have GNU doesn't mean it's not Linux.
>>
>>54154634
>multimedia creation
>uploading shit flash videos to newgrounds is work now
>>
>>54154693
>Billions of dollars.
That is Android as a whole, not its apps.
>>
>>54154682
I really don't get you. There is probably no "industry" profitable software made exclusively for linux, however, it has a lot of TOOLS.
>>
>>54154634
>ask for linux propiertary software not used for development
>gets told that every embedded device and many servers run such
>hurr durr, butthurt, moving goalpost to und-user gui applications
>gets told that android exists
>hurr durr, butthurt, moving goalpost to GNU/Linux FOSS for x86/64

Also, sorry, most programs can be compiled with bionic / musl, so "GNU/Linux" only FOSS apps more than likely not exist. Congratulations, after moving the goal twice you succeeded to exclude enough software to have none remaining
>>
>>54154693
I'll give you one point when android for the PC start gaining a destkop market share.
until then It's another OS than destktop linux.

>>54154694
>Industry standart software used by the industry of film, games, television, music
>comparing it to newgrounds
you can't even do newgrounds shit on linux, lmao.

>but it's GNU/Linux bahhhh
>>
>>54154752
You're being retarded on purpose, aren't you? Stop that.
>>
>>54154763
Ok, bro, keep using windows. I will keep selling you licenses of windows software made in my linux box.
>>
>>54154708
It's worth billions.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/stats-on-googles-revenues-from-youtube-and-google-play-2015-7

>>54154763
>I'll give you one point when android for the PC start gaining a destkop market share.
>until then It's another OS than destktop linux.
This doesn't make any sense. Android is just as popular as other distros for desktop. In fact, its more popular than most distros because it comes pre-installed on a lot of desktop hardware.
>>
>>54154728
>>54154752
>/g/ gets mad because they won't be able to make a living of developing FOSS software that ins't library shit for code monkey software

Lol

FOSS fags got really butthurt on my blender group because the guy that was developing arnold got hired by autodesks.

They got even more mad when I told them they could join togheter and donate to give him a decent developer salary so he could work on blender.

They all told me they were poor as fuck.

lmao
>>
>>54154819
>YouTube
It's the whole site, not just the app.
>Google Play
They make money off others selling their apps; not with their own apps.
>>
>>54154819
I still see linux on x86/x64 with less than 2% marketshare.

even valve now think of dropping linux support.
>>
>>54154247
>still no examples of GPL software non code monkeys give a shit

1. Who are you quoting?

2. GNU Radio/Universal Software Radio Peripheral

3. adding a linux only requirement is retarded. The majority of linux software is open source. It can be compiled for just about anything. Even the defacto standard compiler for linux, gcc, has been ported to windows. Once you compile your compiler for another platform the set of linux only software that isn't the kernel gets really small.
>>
>>54152201
Tesla autopilot.
>>
>>54154853
change linux to GPL then.
>>
>>54154809
>le retarded meme when i cant answer anything to valid points
>>>/reddit/
>>54154823
Because "GNU/Linux" only option is retarded as fuck. As the software is FOSS you can compile 99,99% of them in non-GNU enviorment (bionic / musl)
>>
>>54154869
Literally talking out your ass.
Go google your definitions and come back.
>>
>>54154842
>They make money off others selling their apps; not with their own apps.
They make money off both, you retard. Google gets a cut of your revenue and you buy a license from them. Stop moving the goddamned goal posts.

>>54154849

This has nothing to do with your original argument that Linux has no software. It does. Valve will never drop Linux because they don't want to be dependent on Microsoft.
>>
>>54154882
s/option/restriction/g
>>
>>54152201
Apache
>>
>>54154905
>Stop moving the goddamned goal posts.
I am not. I've said that most of the major (profitable) Android apps are iOS clones or ports.
Then someone argued that Google apps are Android originals, to which I replies that they don't make any profit.
>>
>>54154932
>Can't even ctrl+f the thread
Why are you even on /g/.
>>
>>54154882
>>54154890
Okay faggots, give me examples of FOSS softwares where the developers can afford an office and a big team of developers, which software is valued at millions of dollars in the stock market that is mainly developed for the x86/x84 GNU/Linux distro (but that can have ports to windows) that is FREE as in free beer, that provides a software for non technical people or people not related to the IT bussiness (database, networking, hardware, coding, software project management, web development, drivers, AI, CS shit) that attracts private investors and doesn't depends on goverment grants and is as good as the industry propietary software.

Happy, happy now that I give you the exact question that covers all bases with your wikipedia definitions?
>>
>>54154938
>I've said that most of the major (profitable) Android apps are iOS clones or ports.

This isn't even true, and if it were true it wouldn't matter because Android would still have lots of profitable software. You are moving the goal posts.
>>
>>54155017
>You are moving the goal posts.
Read the OP-
>linux only software
If it is available on iOS, it's not Linux-only. Who here is trying to move the goalposts?
>>
>>54155028
Most Android apps are original, not iOS ports, so your argument isn't true. Furthermore, there are more Android to iOS ports than iOS to Android ports, so who cares.
>>
>>54154987

Please present your passport before moving the goal posts any further.
>>
>>54154987
Probably none. Who the fuck develops primarily for Linux? Anyone intelligent enough to use Linux is intelligent enough to write mostly platform independent code. For example Minecraft is developed for x86/x64 Windows/Linux/Solaris/Mac (universal Java code + natives for every listed OS) and probably satisfies all your restrictions
>>
*it doesnt satisfy FOSS, but you get the idea, its platform independent.
>>
>>54154987
>Happy, happy now that I give you the exact question that covers all bases with your wikipedia definitions?

Yes very happy. Getting you to give a more rigorous definition let's every see how ridiculous the requirements are. For example Ubuntu is ruled out by the stock market. Hell as far as I know only companies are valued by the stock market. Where can I buy shares of Winrar? I'm betting they'll eventually find a way to convince users to purchase a license.

Saying that drivers aren't for people who are non-technical is ridiculous because the whole reason drivers exist is to allow people to use hardware without having a deep technical understanding of the hardware.

Ruling out technical people when one of the primary benefits of FOSS is that you can view and modify the source is silly. That's like saying find an airplane company that doesn't sell airplanes designed to be used by pilots.
>>
>>54155207
This is why we need Trump to win the election. If there was a wall OP would have run in to it by now.
>>
>>54155136
>Most Android apps are original, not iOS ports
And most Android apps suck. The successful ones are iOS ports. Just check the Top 100. If you want to save the work of comparing each app in both stores, simply look for the app Icon. If it is square with round corners, that's an iOS app icon.

>>54155207
Clarifying what he meant in the first place is not moving the goal posts.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.