[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fBSDt/ - Friendly BSD Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: bsd.png (11 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
bsd.png
11 KB, 300x225
Previously on: >>54134450

Welcome to /fBSDt/! All users are welcome, including beginners. Please be civil, this is a "Friendly" thread.

>why should I try a BSD?
They're open source, Unix-like, they offer great features, stability, security and versatility to all your needs. They are well-documented and sport ample hardware support.

>where should I start?
Check the resources below. PC-BSD, GhostBSD and MidnightBSD are easy-to-install, user-friendly desktop-oriented distributions of FreeBSD that can get you started. Install on VirtualBox first just to try it out.

Seasoned Unix users, why not get a free OpenBSD remote shell to play with at devio.us? Try pfSense, m0n0wall or OPNsense on your firewall, experiment with NetBSD on your embedded device, or create your own network storage server with FreeNAS!

>w-what's the difference between all those something-BSDs?
After version 4.4, the BSD operating system was forked into many different distributions with different focuses. FreeBSD aims to be fully-featured, NetBSD focuses on portability (it runs even on toasters!), OpenBSD on security and correctness, DragonFly BSD implements cutting-edge filesystem and SMP technology. And then there are specific subdistributions of the aforementioned, like for example PC-BSD, which is a desktop-focused distribution of FreeBSD.

==Resources==

Official docs:
PC-BSD User Guide - http://web.pcbsd.org/doc/10/html/pcbsd.html
GhostBSD Wiki - http://wiki.ghostbsd.org/
FreeBSD Handbook - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
OpenBSD FAQ - http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

How to install OpenBSD 5.9 plus XFCE desktop environment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFAqso-HVk

Manual pages:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
http://man.openbsd.org/

Discussion:
FreeBSD Forums - https://forums.freebsd.org/
OpenBSD Mailing Lists - http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

Free OpenBSD remote shells:
http://devio.us/

NetBSD on your toaster:
https://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm-netbsd-toaster.php
>>
>waiting for gentoo fags
>>
>/g/
>friendly BSD thread
>no replies
>nobody gives a fuck about BSDs

This is truly sad.
When did this place become so normie tier?

I will give this thread a friendly bump.
Here.
>>
Why must BSDfags act so high and mighty all the time?
>>
The only reason I don't use a BSD is because no programs or support for major software
>>
>>54149791
Do BSDs support trim now?
>>
>>54150036

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
>>
>>54150182
ZFS has had TRIM support forever, and it's enabled by default.
>>
>>54150155

Like what?
>>
>>54149791
Why do you care what others use for their OS?
>>
>>54150155
It's because it's unironically a server OS.

I'll probably set up freenas once I get some hard drives for my server box
>>
>>54150125
What the fuck are you talking about?
The BSD community is generally much more level headed and mature than the Linux community. They have understanding towards other people and respect their choices, that's one of the reasons why it's not as popular, because they don't fell the need to shove their opinions down other people's throats. They don't feel the need to go around boasting how they use a superior OS. Have you ever seen BSD users bashing Windows fags for their choices? No.
Just look at Arch fags for fucks sake. Fucking disgusting. Of course I'm talking in general, there are exceptions.
>>
>>54150253
Why don't you ask that same question in the /flt/?
>>
File: w6VWQgjz.jpg (18 KB, 369x369) Image search: [Google]
w6VWQgjz.jpg
18 KB, 369x369
>>54150155
>>
why is beasty looking so unsure this really bugs me
>>
What's the story on NextBSD? Haven't heard anything about it in a while.
>>
>>54150112
>>/g/
This is /v/'s tech support and consumer advice board. Why would anyone talk about BSDs? Or anything intelligent for that matter?
>>
>>54150365
you mean in general or the OP image? because if the latter I am not sure how that silhouette looks unsure
>>54150509
can you not ruin it for the rest of us? there's no need to start a flamewar.
>>
>>54150362
a lot of people don't know about the compatibility layer for linux binaries.
>>
>>54150307
>generally much more level headed and mature
>They have understanding towards other people
>What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>54150458
Is this something like Darwin meets FreeBSD?
>>
>>54150602
I see the point you're trying to make, but seriously, aren't you trying a bit too hard? At least make a proper argument instead of resorting to weak ad hominem attacks.
>>
>>54150602
>commenting on my way of expressing disbelief
I don't even use BSD btw.
>>
>>54150704
Don't you have someone's PC to hack and change his keyboard layout?
>>
>>54150766
Just pointing out the irony of your post m8
>>
>>54150815
what
>>
>>54150850
>Those who taste the de Raadt wrath, however, always run in the end. A friend of mine once incurred his ire by asking the wrong question at the wrong time, and Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard!
>>
>>54150905
ok
>>
>>54150905
Theo is a basket case though a lot of his reputation is exaggeration than reality, he can be a dick on his mailing lists but that's about the extent of his powers.

OpenBSD was sinking because of no funding during a hard time when donations were few and far between(2013-14 iirc) and what saved it was a bitcoin millionaire that at the time had just come into his fortune because of the crypto currency bubble.
>>
http://www.osnews.com/story/27519/_OpenBSD_will_shut_down_if_we_do_not_have_the_funding_

http://www.thedrinkingrecord.com/2014/01/19/romanian-billionaire-saves-openbsd/

links for the Googly impaired.
>>
>>54149791
is OpenBSD the best OS for a server?
>>
>>54151072
FreeBSD is probably the only widely used BSD server in professional environment. WhatsApp servers for example run on it.
>>
What would it take to program an fpga into a custom architecture and install NetBSD on it?
Could it run on 16-bit processors?
>>
>>54151234
I realize this might be a silly question, but what ever. I'm interested in fpgas and hardware programming.
>>
>>54151303
>what ever
>>
>>54151427
I'm not a native English speaker.
>>
>>54150602
BSD users will tell people to use Linux if it's the best tool for the job.
The OpenBSD manual advises people that if they have a working Linux system and it does everything they want it to they shouldn't install OpenBSD.
>>
>>54151166
Netflix also.
>>
I use Arch Linux and listen to black metal
>>
I use Gentoo at the moment. My main is a sparcstation.
What can BSD offer me?
>>
>>54152083
Nothing. Gentoo is the pinnacle of BSD engineering.
>>
>>54150968
>a basket case... extent of powers
owns a home, girlfriend is a MD, active member of infosec community speaking on current research (actual papers), world traveler, college graduate.

> OpenBSD was sinking

uninterrupted regular sixth month releases for two decades. openssh most popular FOSS software ever. apple uses PF. billion dollar networking company CISCO adopts carp.

Shall I continue? Dealing with people like you I would be an asshole too.
>>
>>54152061
xD
>>
File: 1313156815170.jpg (23 KB, 342x400) Image search: [Google]
1313156815170.jpg
23 KB, 342x400
>>54150905

sounds bretty based desu senpai
>>
Fucking shit he wasn't kidding about toasters
>>
As a beginner why would I choose BSD over Linux?
>>
>>54152146
no anon

if it has little to no "consumer desktop" adoption it's meaningless.
>>
>>54151072

I have used it and it does great as a firewall, router, spam filter, low scale e-mail and http server, IPSec VPN gateway, certificate authority, source control server, possibly more but I haven't tested it yet. The latest version finally has Samba 4 packaged, so maybe AD controller?
>>
>>54153074

Found the pajeet!
>>
>>54151072

If you want to run traditional UNIX services easily, yes. DNS, httpd, email, sql, firewall, shells. All this is baked in securely and is very well documented, and will run on commodity hardware. You can do more from ports as well.
>>
>>54149791
>Think correctly.
>Having the presumption to believe there is only one way
Yep it's BSD land alright.
>>
>>54153074
>if it has little to no "consumer desktop" adoption it's meaningless
oh yeah? must be why the net runs on OS X. where would we be without that? idiot. your perspective has no value in this discussion.
>>
>>54153102
all true as well.
>>
>>54150905
thanks for the completely irrelevant quote

though he did joke about keylogging stallman's keyboard once
>>
>>54149791
Genuinely curious:

What reasons are there to use BSD over GNU/Linux? (In general)
How about for a typical home user?

I only started using Debian a few months ago. Been really happy with it
>>
>>54156216
BSD has the best support on laptops. I get almost 12hr battery life on mine. It's also great with homeservers with ZFS support.
>>
I love BSD
>>
>>54157150
ok
>>
File: screenfetchopenbsd.png (8 KB, 720x399) Image search: [Google]
screenfetchopenbsd.png
8 KB, 720x399
>>54156216

You can actually use Debian with the FreeBSD kernel if you want. See:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/kfreebsd-amd64/
>>
>>54157968
good lord did that guy install bash just for screenfetch
>>
File: pcbsdsqlite.png (71 KB, 800x674) Image search: [Google]
pcbsdsqlite.png
71 KB, 800x674
>>54156216

PC-BSD is bretty fast.
>>
>>54157968
FOR
WHAT
PURPOSE
???
>>
>>54150201
>FreeBSD's bootloader is removed from the base system (useful for jails).
>jails

Why should I like this again?
>>
>>54161269
>I don't understand what jails are
>>
>>54161269
Jails are FreeBSD's form of containerization.
>>
File: 1459510687899.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1459510687899.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
>>54161372
Nice, what's the distribution of choice when I wish to use BSD by compiling it from scratch, like you have to do it with Gentoo?

Just use Gentoo with BSD?
>>
File: randi-harper.jpg (29 KB, 560x293) Image search: [Google]
randi-harper.jpg
29 KB, 560x293
>>54150307
>The BSD community is generally much more level headed and mature than the Linux community. They have understanding towards other people and respect their choices...
>>
>>54163682
I don't know where you're going with this, but she did try to bait the FreeBSD community with a blog post and they just ignored her. They clearly do not feed trolls.
>>
What about the autistic admin on the freebsd forums, dutch cap or whatever his fucking monica is?

Grammar nazi and pompous pain in the ass.
>>
>>54163682
Until women are legally banned from tech this cancer will infect every os
>>
>think correctly

That sounds like something the thought police would say
>>
>>54163682
It's a good thing Randi just pretends to be a FreeBSD dev.
>>
>>54150125
Well, they actually are higher and mightier than typical linux user.
>>
BSD doesn't respect my freedom. just ask Apple and its users.
>>
>>54151017
lol @ BSD devs having to ask for money to keep doing their job... they could, I dunno, sell it, no one will sell closed source clones of their programs/OS without giving anything back, anyway... oh, wait
>>
Archfag here. Can freebsd run steam?
>>
>>54165369
I mean via the linux binary compatibility thing. Hows gaming with an r9 280?
>>
>>54151017
>>54150552
>>54150530

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>54153025
You wouldn't.

To all the gamers in this thread, just dual boot. If you don't know what to do with *BSD, don't install it.
>>
>>54165193

What about when Linux developers don't give back, how about that?

https://lwn.net/Articles/247876/
>>
>>54165369
>Archfag here. Can freebsd run steam?
may as well try eating your own shit first. it's better.i
>>
>>54158945
>PC-BSD is bretty fast.
so is free falling faggot. take your skidmarks and go back to /v/. its 2016 companies are not using benchmarks to sell platforms and even poorfags have fast machines.
>>
>>54168579

You sound frustrated.
>>
File: 1451315404210.jpg (293 KB, 1182x1763) Image search: [Google]
1451315404210.jpg
293 KB, 1182x1763
Convince me to switch to BSD over Debian testing. I use mpv, run emulators all of the time, occasionally gayme on steam, have pretty good support, and have access to a ridiculous amount of packages. Really, what does BSD have to offer? I have pfsense on an old computer, that's about it.
>>
>>54168683
a real Unix environment
>>
>>54158071
it clearly says ksh?
>>
>>54169837

Korn is the default shell on OpenBSD, but screenfetch requires bash, which means the guy must have bash installed even if he's using ksh.
>>
>>54169837
What is a Shebang.
>>
>>54151234
I think j4 is probably the future but not sure if any BSDs run on it yet
>>
>>54169899
>>54169903
I thought for a second that screenfetch would take shell used to run screenfetch.
brainfart, sorry guys its friday night.

I made screenfetch work on ksh/openbsd a while ago, its not much effort.
>>
>>54168683
the bsds have mpv and a ton of emulators all kept up to date. no steam but you shouldn't be running nonfree proprietary binaries on your systems anyway... though you might be able to get those working with wine or linux emulation.

what does bsd have that debian doesn't? great documentation, a well designed interface, less bloat, a more cohesive community, less really dumb decisions made 20 years ago
>>
In terms of "correctness" and peformance, how does BSD compare to Linux?

Also, what's the init system like in FreeBSD?
>>
>>54171376
it's BSD so it uses the BSD init.

Heh.
>>
>>54171400
You have enlightened me.

I am also aware that my question was frivolous.
>>
File: nick-young-confused-face.png (205 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
nick-young-confused-face.png
205 KB, 505x431
>>54161405
>what's the distribution of choice when I wish to use BSD by compiling it from scratch, like you have to do it with Gentoo?
That's like saying you prefer to walk on a broken foot.

After you install the default FreeBSD binaries for the base system (which by itself is pretty light by the way), you can download the entirety of the FreeBSD source code, and then set which compile flags you want set (or even change the source itself). The entire time, you will have the complete FreeBSD userland at your disposal.

If you build world, reboot and run into trouble, you can easily restore the previous build without much trouble at all.

All of this is very well documented in the Handbook. Why not give it a read?
>>
>>54171305
>>54168550
>ask about a program I wanna use. Get autists yelling at me

Why wouldn't anyone not wanna use this amazing os? I understand someone yelling at me for something I couldve googled. But what the fuck.
>>
>>54165457
When should an anon use a tripcode?
>>
>>54170598
you guys should port bsdinfo.
>>
>>54174267
Only when it is impartial to the post, such as story telling.
>>54174100
No one is yelling at you. top poster said you shouldnt run blobs on your system and other one saying no you cant. Anyone on /g/ should know that gaming isnt a major thing on non-windows systems. It shouldnt be a question since you can just so easily google it
>>
>>54174100
running steam on freebsd is stupid. no one is yelling at you. freebsd is horrible for a desktop. it doesn't even have sleep/suspend for laptops. ports is dead and broken. the money comes from companies like netflix and ixsystems. good luck building any momentum with the core team to change things for the better. besides core team all run os x and don't give a shit. not saying I don't respect them or they don't write good shit, but steam and desktop? nope.
>>
>>54171305
>linux emulation
shits dead & no one uses it
>>
>>54171305
>great documentation
debian does have great documentation
>>
>>54174638
Emulation? Why is nobody mentioning that FreeBSD has native support for Linux binaries? People still use that, I believe. Starting with 11-Current, the support is expanded to x64 binaries.
>>
>>54174710
The project is called "linuxulator" so people kinda just run with it but it's really not an emulator it's just mapping the linux system calls to their equivalents in freebsd.
>>
>>54163682
> Crazy ass perpetual victim goes on a rampage on another FreeBSD dev
> Shit goes back and forth until said bitch cries to Core to get her way
> Core deliberates, comes out with a Code of Conduct
> Waaaa!!! thats not exactly what i wanted you guys suck!!!!!
> Core revokes her commit bit, suspends her @freebsd.org mail and cuts her away like the cancerous scum she is.

How much more of a mature and level headed response could you have asked for when dealing with a bitch of this magnitude?
>>
>>54156216
Sane documentation (Specially on OpenBSD)
Sane defaults (Again, OpenBSD)
The ecosystem is consistent and clean.
Etc.
>>
>>54174267
Data leaks, projects you work on (e.g. a single OP that always starts about the same topic), to tell a story across several posts.

Also known as: Read the FAQ and rules of 4chan. It's all there to be read by stupid fucks like you.
>>
>>54168629
I bet he's frustrated with a reason. Linux can be a pain already, I cannot even imagine how hard it can become to set up a BSD correctly, especially when the community has this elitist flair to it.
>>
>>54150622
Freebsd implementing features of Darwin yeah.
>>
>>54175241
Frustration stems from hardware compatibility and that is why I would never run any opensores on a laptop, but BSD is very easy to install on server/desktop hardware.
>>
>>54169698
>a real Unix environment
you mean a unix-like environment
the only unix environment on a general use operating system is mac os
>>
File: hotdog.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
hotdog.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>54169903
>What is a Shebang.
when u fuck a female
>>
>>54174615
>freebsd is horrible for a desktop. it doesn't even have sleep/suspend for laptops.
Complete BS. Now i`m an OpenBSD user but i`ve had FreeBSD installed on my machines for testing/experimenting and i`ve had suspend/resume working perfectly with every machine i own{ed}. Including: Lenovo t430, t430u, s10-3. Asus eee, Dell d630 a couple of nucs and some other atom workstations.

>ports is dead and broken.
25,000+ ports for which binary packages are built every couple of days is broken how?

>besides core team all run os x and don't give a shit
You`re right about the OSX shit they aren`t as bad as the NetBSD folks but goddamn i wish more FreeBSD devs would dog food thier shit on a daily basis like OpenBSD devs do.

I think you misunderstand a bit what Core actually does. Core doesn`t direct where or what the project does. They are laregly there to handle policy, settle developer disputes and deal with legal shit. They do coordinate with the FreeBSD Foundation to appropriate funds to developers to work on specific parts on the system (i.e. the boring parts that no one is jumping up to do) but that`s the extent of thier influence.

Now aside from not having steam (is that bad?) i don`t see what makes FreeBSD more horrible for a desktop than Debian/Gentoo/Arch/Slack. You have to manually set shit up with all of these and yet plenty of people are content to do so and those that aren`t /can`t have PC-BSD or UBUNTU.
>>
>>54175501
Right, like always. It's the same with Windows, Linux and OS X. No driver, no fun.
I hate it that there is so little support of 32 Bit UEFIs in general so far. Linux also suffers from this shit and it prevents a literal horde of curious people from trying it.
But meh, got better things to do than to worry about other people.
>>
>>54175505
The Unix copyright isn't relevant anymore; anyway the 4 files the judge threw out in the BSDi case didn't suddenly make 4.4BSD-lite not Unix.
>>
>>54174927
>> Crazy ass perpetual victim goes on a rampage on another FreeBSD dev
>> Shit goes back and forth until said bitch cries to Core to get her way
>> Core deliberates, comes out with a Code of Conduct
>> Waaaa!!! thats not exactly what i wanted you guys suck!!!!!
>> Core revokes her commit bit, suspends her @freebsd.org mail and cuts her away like the cancerous scum she is.
>How much more of a mature and level headed response could you have asked for when dealing with a bitch of this magnitude?
they could have negated the first four steps and been decisive and just gone for that last action.
>>
>>54175552
but doesnt apple pay for a unix license for each mac os sold?
>>
>>54150307
>one of the reasons why it's not as popular
the other, bigger issue, being the cuck license
>>
>>54150552
might as well just use linux
>>
>>54150968
>because of no funding
b-but muh license
>>
>>54151661
That''s why I don't.
>>
>>54175697
I've been out of the loop on Unix licensing but MacOS has always been based off of FreeBSD, NEXTstep/OpenStep and rhapsody were 4.4BSD licensed. I think they just pay for the Opengroup Certification and that is it.
>>
Does OpenBSD support the Xeon Phi?
>>
>>54152146
>openssh most popular
>apple uses PF
>CISCO adopts carp
>no donations
cucked
u
c
k
e
d
>>
>>54153185
>OS X is BSD
these deluded applecucks actually believe this
>>
>>54175808
http://www.openbsd.org/donations.html
>>
>>54156279
>12hr battery life
that means linux gets 24h on same hardware
>>
>>54175241
Thanks for defending, but I'm not a retard. OpenBSD is by far the most sane and easy installer I've ever used on a computer.
>>
>>54168683
Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>54175786
>I think they just pay for the Opengroup Certification and that is it.
yeah it's the certification in order to use the unix name but in all reality its still a license of sorts.
>>
>>54171376
"correctness" has no meaning
performance is shit
>>
>>54175869
But is that paid per copy of software sold?
>>
protip: nobody is recommending bsd for you if you're completely uninterested in it and your current os do the job for you.
>>
>>54175831
Then what do you think it is?
>>
>>54175832
>http://www.openbsd.org/donations.html
didn't ms give them $60k for development of ssh?
$60k is a bloody insult really, ssh should be worth a cool million or two for some real dev work.
>>
>>54168683
If you're satisfied with gnu/linux don't mess it up. Switching to a BSD is more of a curiosity for those that want to try something slightly different.
>>
>>54175880
>average Linuxtard reasoning
That explain perfectly why Linus excuses about not following his own guidelines are celebrated like they're Churchill speeches or some shit like that.
>>
>>54175832
Where's CISCO and Apple?
>>
>>54175900
wake up, fucktard
>>
>>54175882
i believe it is.
>>
>>54175919
>should be worth
if it weren't for the cuck license and all :^)
>>
>>54175786
>>54175869
>I think they just pay for the Opengroup Certification and that is it.
They only get the certification if the OS passes the 3700 pages of specification
>>
>>54175953
There's another page managed by the openbsd foundation but it seems to be down right now

http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html
>>
>>54175966
Ok so it IS BSD. thanks.
>>
>>54175919
OpenBSD devs see projects like OpenSSH as a public service to prevent companies like Microsoft and Apple from trying to implement those things on their own. They just want money to keep their lights on and their servers and build machines running.
>>
>>54175985
>seems to be down right now
so much for bsd reliability, eh?
>>
>>54175979
Right, that is for certfication, but don't they have to pay SCO/Caldera for licensing?
>>
>>54176002
>I'm literally retarded
>>
>>54176025
>They just want money to jerk it around with their toy os and not have to get an actual job
ftfy
>>
>>54176041
A memer called me retarded.
Ironic and funny. Thanks m8.
>>
>>54175939
>implying performance is not shit
tard...
>>
>>54176055
>full damage control
>>
>>54176025
>They just want money to keep their lights on and their servers and build machines running.
just sad that they don't fight for extra money which they deserve so they can actually pay these devs a proper wage.
>>
>>54176068
>I can make a lighter cooking pot putting holes everywhere
Tard.
>>
>>54176039
Open Group owns the rights to the UNIX brand. SCO is kinda like a zombie but mostly dead they own/owned the original Unix source code but not the brand I think.
>>
>>54176092
>they don't fight
How would they do that?
>>
>>54176101
>I jerk it to chinese kiddie cartoons.
Seek help.
>>
>>54176039
UNIX 03 is the Open Group's, Unix the OS is SCO's, Apple pays ($15k iirc) the Open Group for certification
>>
>>54176135
Apparently, Novell now owns Unix.
This was in 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group,_Inc._v._Novell,_Inc.
>>
>>54175630
which would have been the wrong choice.
Part of making a rational and mature decision about something is thinking further down the road. You don`t want just blurt out 'Solve Problem X' and be done, you want 'Solve Problem X and make sure it doesn`t show up again later to be a pain in the ass.'
>>
>>54176135
>Unix the OS is SCO's
don't novell own the rights to this now, remember the novell v sco shit which sco got butthurt from.
>>
>>54150307
>bsd users bashing windows fags
>bsd [users] bashing windows [fags]
lol ok
>>
>>54175738
>>54175977
>>54175808
look mom i said it again
>>
>>54152146
>research
>muh innovashun
kekeronni!
>>
>>54176214
>DELETE THIS
so salty :^)
>>
>>54175544

Okay I'll concede it "has" suspend/resume (to RAM not disk), but it is by far the worst of any modern OS. Which is fine, but people need to know this. And it hasn't improved much over the past decade. And when all devs use OS X, it's hard to admit it will ever get better. Apparently you understand this though.

>25,000+ ports for which binary packages are built every couple of days is broken how?

FreeBSD package policy is, if it builds it ships. Thats it. The simply don't have the manpower to make sure shit actually works. OpenBSD has much less packages but they actually have QA. Building ports every couple days is trivial.

FreeBSD isn't horrible, but if you backtrack this discussion, for running Steam it's not good. Its sad that FreeBSD is slowly being relegated to the secret sauce that no one knows about, but runs the internet behind the scenes. I just wish they wouldn't cowtow to companies like Apple. It's like they learned nothing from the 90s UNIX wars.
>>
>>54176178
Novell transferred ownership to the Opengroup in 1993, sco tried to sue novell for ownership but lost. The Opengroup retains ownership of UNIX.

the only people that own UNIX now is the opengroup.
>>
>>54175919
For MS 60k is nothing, but for OpenBSD it's a fuckton.
>>
>>54175831

>>must be why the net runs on OS X. where would we be without that?

sarcastic response to

>> no "consumer desktop" deployments means OpenBSD is irrelevant.

sorry to confuse. his perspective is meaningless because we're discussing server shit here.
>>
>>54176234
It doesn't matter anyway.
In times of VR, HBM, 64 Bit it's only a matter of time we get a new OS, completely started from a digital native coming from a 64 Bit standpoint of view.
Our computers are shit nowadays, as most OSs are shit designs.
If the design is good, it's proprietary, so it's only a matter of time it's going to come.

But at the current point of time we are just stacking more shit on other shit so that shit just barely works.

Most OS cannot even handle DPI settings without problems. This only shows how far people have thought so far. Time for somebody else to think further.
>>
>>54176336
>shit just barely works
maybe on BSDs...
>>
>>54176240
Nah it's not that easy. UNIX is a. an OS b. a licence you buy for your OS if it's UNIX compatible c. it's a term to describe a style d. it's a product of a firm which also makes it a copyrighted name. However the last bit interferes with the previous stuff of course, so nobody exactly knows who owns what and what UNIX is.

Ask anybody, they will all say it's like that. For some people UNIX is the Logo they can buy from Novell, for other people it's the original OS, for others it's the style.
Just like the BSD licence it's up to your own imagination to make something out of it.
>>
>>54176380
it's fucking meaningless; better talk about POSIX and SUS compliance than about "what is UNIX"
>>
>>54176374
No, we constantly need to replace things in all OSs(!) because the previous bit was just not future proof enough. Look DX12 vs. old DX, opengl vs. vulkan, AHCI vs. NVMe, PCI-E vs. S-ATA or the most epic change ever: Touchscreens (reminder that there is no "real" good OS merging both worlds together yet) vs. Mice. These changes are really big changes and a fundament is only as good as the stuff it has been built on.
Also: Reminder that all current OSs started on computers with mechanical components.
Mechanical components in computers are like steam locomotives, just obsolete. The last point is less relatable, but it's a parallel appearance and as we all know: Everything happens at once.
>>
>>54175880
correctness means everything when it comes to security.
>>
>>54176463
And I even forgot about the neural network stuff and blockchain technology.
We are only at the beginning and it's really visible.
>>
>>54176463
>>54176490
what the fuck are you smoking? what does this have to do with "barely works"? by this reasoning, nothing works for as long as there's progress to be made
>>
>>54176336
This post is why the "CS meme degree" is bullshit. If you like to hack be this native.
>>
>>54176513
>by this reasoning, nothing works for as long as there's progress to be made
Isn't that the whole open source community spirit? Make it open source as it's not complete? Because somebody will for sure come around and add functionality (which they then can)?
I mean it's not really barely working related, but more of a general statement I wanted to give.
>>
>>54175738
>>54175977

I wonder why this isn't an issue for the million of other projects out there which also use truly free licenses like PHP, Python, Apache, PostgreSQL, X11, Perl, LaTeX, OpenSSL, etc. etc. etc.

PROTIP: it isn't, and it isn't a problem for BSDs either. It's just a boogeyman the fat jew Stallman invented in a puny attempt to remain relevant.
>>
>>54176276
so what you're saying is that openbsd devs are essentially slaves
>>
>>54176028
>what is scheduled maintenance?
>>
>>54176584
Anybody can be a slave. E.g. the biggest slave to money is Bill Gates. Ever thought that way?
>>
>>54176464
fuck off already with your "security" meme
where's the journaling filesystems? where's MAC? ah, yes, that kind of security doesn't fit the OpenBSD definition of "correctness"
>>
>>54176584
Microsoft donated the equivalent of a yearly salary to a FOSS project and they weren't even forced to.
>>
>>54176592
>Not a cause for downtime as you usually just maintenance the second server and then just switch the DNS for the one where the maintenance was done on?
>>
>>54176616
>if you have the budget for that
>>
>>54176599
Yeah but to be honest about it, gates will pay a very good living wage to a dev.
sadly theo, because of his lack of business acumen, can't or won't pay what they're really worth.
>>
File: 198631206938ff.png (109 KB, 272x272) Image search: [Google]
198631206938ff.png
109 KB, 272x272
>>54176603
>he complains about journaling but puts his data into MongoDB
>>
>>54176624
Yeah well, they make operating systems for computers, so they should at least have 2 computers/servers.

This is too much of a mess for me to try desu
>>
>>54176603

Soft updates > Journaling
>>
>>54176552
>the whole open source community spirit
no
>open source as it's not complete
jesus christ, that's your reasoning? no wonder bsds are in such a sad place "meh, might as well make it open source, it's shit code anyway"
>somebody will for sure come around and add functionality
unlikely they'll share it with you though
>a general statement
post on a fucking blog, you shit, nobody gives a fuck here about your incoherent ramblings
>>
>>54176644

>so they should at least have 2 computers/servers
Yeah, for critical shit. Not for the donations page no one ever visits.
>>
>>54176603
>where's MAC?
oh hey you're back
>>
>>54176603
>where's MAC

i guess they saw how much good it did for Windows and decided to pass
>>
>>54176234
>FreeBSD package policy is, if it builds it ships.
This is true though i don`t feel that it is unique to FreeBSD. This happens all over the place in Linux and other BSD`s because like you said not enough man power.

>OpenBSD has much less packages but they actually have QA
I dunno i think there in much the same boat. All the big name packages are there and do work for FreeBSD and OpenBSD but OpenBSD has even less manpower and resources to work on ports. There`s a reason why ports for OpenBSD get built only once for every -release.

>Building ports every couple days is trivial.
Not so it`s quite important to build frequently to catch regressions and other bugs with ports. FreeBSD and OpenBSD both build packages for -HEAD and -current a couple times a week for this reason.

>FreeBSD isn't horrible, but if you backtrack this discussion, for running Steam it's not good.
You`re right there i got focused more on the general aspect of the horrible comment

>Its sad that FreeBSD is slowly being relegated to the secret sauce that no one knows about, but runs the internet behind the scenes. I just wish they wouldn't cowtow to companies like Apple. It's like they learned nothing from the 90s UNIX wars.
Soooo much this. It`s like so much of the developers are still locked into the Big systems, Big UNIX, Big Vendor paradigm. This is one of many reasons why i stick to OpenBSD personally.
>>
>>54176608
I'm not saying it's bad they did, just that the amount was a joke

when you look at $2.5bn for minecraft i think they could have forked out a few more sheckels for ssh.
>>
>>54176636
>>he complains about journaling but puts his data into MongoDB
MongoloidDB
>>
>>54176685

B-but m-muh web-scale...
>>
>>54176685
>>he complains about journaling but puts his data into MongoDB
>MongoloidDB
MongoloidDataBase
>>
>>54176569
>I wonder why
because you're an idiot
>PHP, Python, Apache, PostgreSQL, X11, Perl, LaTeX, OpenSSL
which ones of those need new work for hardware support when a new device appears on the market?
>isn't a problem for BSDs either
wasn't expecting someone this stupid to be rational in the first place
>>
>>54176714

>which ones of those need new work for hardware support when a new device appears on the market?

>he said, not realizing Linux routinely steals drivers from OpenBSD
>>
>>54176657
>donations page no one ever visits
So... anon was right, no donations? Top fucking keks!
>>
>>54176696
where's my data dude!
>>
>>54176728
why are you trying so hard?
>>
>>54176672
They definitely paid WAAAAY too much for minecraft, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking there but they didn't just acquire the game they also acquired the rights to the name and merchandise associated with it.

With OpenSSH they're not trying to acquire the entire project they just want to use it so they donated some money toward the server costs to keep the project running and they don't have to worry about hiring devs to handle the code.
>>
>>54176728

Yeah, and with barely any donations they can put out an operating system way superior than Lincucks, Applel and Microsuck can put out with half the world behind them.
>>
>>54176668
>they saw
>decided
Sounds like openbsd "research" alright! :^)
>>
>>54176714
>because you're an idiot
kek
>>
>>54176669
>Big systems, Big UNIX, Big Vendor
You mean GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54176762

>I'm just gonna go into the Friendly BSD thread to troll the shit out of people who just wanna be helpful to other folks interested in learning more and trying out their operating system because I feel insecure about the one I use myself
>>
>>54176740
>With OpenSSH they're not trying to acquire the entire project
we're talking microsoft here, this was a business move - ms wants ssh on their os as they think it will open them up for more customers, just in the same way as the recent ubuntu/win10 thing
>>
File: muh_research.png (330 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
muh_research.png
330 KB, 600x400
>>54176762
>>
>>54176792

>GNU/Linux

Wanna know how I know you are retarded? You prepend GNU to Linux.
>>
>>54176798

Welp, time to migrate to lsh!
>>
>>54176726
>Linux routinely steals drivers from OpenBSD
The way OpenBSD stole the GPLed broadcom wifi driver?
>>
>>54176762
> microsoft never stole anything
>>
>>54176735
why are you incoherent?
>>
>>54176857
that's a highly ironic question
>>
>>54176745
>superior
codeword for slow, poor hardware support and shitty security?
>>
>>54176794
You must be new here.
>>
>>54176840
OpenBSD devs used the broadcom driver internally while they created their own driver that was 100% different. They complied with GPL.
>>
>>54176798
MS philosophy is "You get what you pay for (that's why you shouldn't get yourself WinX "for free", you pay with other stuff than money).
>>
>>54176875
>This is 4chan every board is /b/ LLALMAO!
>>
>>54176885
Yeah, I believe all they did was use a few values temporarily.

The GPL babbies came into the mailing list and made a huge drama out of it instead of privately emailing the developers first. So they deleted it.
>>
>>54176840

>muh precious GPL is more important than helping fellow free software developers

Buesch literally threatened to sue, even though OpenBSD did NOTHING wrong.

Goes to show the nature of Linux developers.

Also, that's the only example you can come up with, but Linux, on the other hand, ROUTINELY steals drivers from OpenBSD.

Stay mad.
>>
>>54176819
I didn't prepend GNU to Linux, check your reading comprehension. Ask me how I know you're an ignorant idiot.
>>
>>54176901
You are definitely very new if you don't know that /g/ is filled with more trolls than /b/ is.
>>
>>54176874

>runs on twice as many architectures as Linux runs
>poor hardware support

You sound frustrated.
>>
>>54176903
And what's funny is that the Linux developers not only use the BSD code, but they relicense it under GPL.

Sure, it's within their rights, but it's just funny that they claim to stand for freedom.
>>
>>54150307

>level headed and mature than the Linux community

HA.. Try asking for support in any *BSD IRC channel.
>>
>>54176885
>used
As in copy+paste?
>>
File: retard.png (14 KB, 403x102) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
14 KB, 403x102
>>54176910

Why do you lie when anyone can go back and check your post?
>>
>>54176928
>he says as he probably didn't read the manual
you better be damn sure you have a real problem before doing that
>>
>>54176926

It's not within their rights.

Ask Eben Moglen.
>>
>>54176902
>GPL babbies
Sounds like you're the one crying about getting caught.
>huge drama
Say what? Drama on a project led by a world renowned drama queen meth head?
>So they deleted it
Because it was copyright infringement.
>>
CAN WE HAVE A SINGLE FRIENDLY BSD THREAD IN PEACE WITHOUT INSECURE LINKEKS FLOODING IN AND TURNING IT INTO AN IDIOTIC PISSING CONTEST?
>CAN WE HAVE A SINGLE BSD THREAD IN PEACE WITHOUT INSECURE LINKEKS FLOODING IN AND TURNING IT INTO AN IDIOTIC PISSING CONTEST?
CAN WE HAVE A SINGLE FRIENDLY BSD THREAD IN PEACE WITHOUT INSECURE LINKEKS FLOODING IN AND TURNING IT INTO AN IDIOTIC PISSING CONTEST?
>CAN WE HAVE A SINGLE BSD THREAD IN PEACE WITHOUT INSECURE LINKEKS FLOODING IN AND TURNING IT INTO AN IDIOTIC PISSING CONTEST?
>>
>>54176976
>Say what? Drama on a project led by a world renowned drama queen meth head?
Yes, drama that GPL developer chose to publicize before even trying to deal with it privately.
>>
>>54176976

>I steal thousands of drivers from you, but I won't share one
>>
>>54176903
>OpenBSD did NOTHING wrong.
>When OpenBSD steals it's just fellow free software developers "helping themselves" to some GPL goodness
>When Linux uses BSD code it's THEFT!!!
>ROUTINELY
Got any proof of that, cuck?
>>
>>54176977
no, now fuck off
>>
>>54176976
There was no infringement what they did complied with GPL. The only real requirement of GPL is that anyone who legally acquires software must receive a copy of the source code as well(upon request at least). They never distributed their OS with the driver included and the driver was only distributed in source form among a few devs to use as reference so they could write their own driver.
>>
>>54176918
>twice as many
Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>54177006

I know someone has run out of arguments when they ask for proof of something, even though they never gave proof for any of their claims themselves.
>>
>>54176936
Just ask.
>>
>>54177031
the same can be said of you

netbsd and openbsd, idiot
>>
>>54177015

This is a friendly thread.
>>
File: ai-shinozaki.jpg (294 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
ai-shinozaki.jpg
294 KB, 600x899
>>54177031
>Sounds like you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
calm your tits dude, in fact everyone calm your tits.
to help here is a good example of calm tits
>>
>>54176998
>deal with it privately
>You're making us look bad for stealing this code, man!
>Let's just pretend nothing happened, the public doesn't need to know! Just like it doesn't need to know how we use the donation money!
>Hush-hush!
>>
>>54177006

>steal

See >>54177025, they didn't steal shit.

You're a retarded kid who never even wrote a patch in your life, let alone discuss in an OS dev mailing list. Stay mad.
>>
>>54177005
>STEAL from you
>SHARE with me
the cuck life ain't easy :^)
>>
>>54176490

my fucking sides, i see and work with professionals such as yourself every. fucking. day. who sprout terminology like they are memes hur hur "OS's suck" hur hur "Nurel networks"

Please do your best to be competent in different fields before you give an opinion. Operating systems right now do not fucking suck, file systems are damn good at what they do right now. These mechanical components your refering to doesn't even make sense. Your talking about a physical layer change which doesn't effect the operating system. Also neural networks have been here since the 1970, Back then it had the same hype.
>>
>>54177072

>let's threaten to sue a non-profit foundation which has the same goals we do and from which we take tons of code because of one misunderstanding

If anyone was made to look bad it was Buesch.
>>
>>54177072
lol did an openbsd developer rape and kill your dog or something

see >>54177025
>>
>>54177101

Theo must've hacked him and remapped his keyboard.
>>
>>54177052
well there were some nice discussions going along before the shit spewing faglords of /g/ poured in.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.