[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Company Boycott General /CBG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6
File: CBG.png (72 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
CBG.png
72 KB, 1000x1000
What technology companies do you boycott and why? Share your views

>Apple
overpriced products, can't delete apple-id account, CEO is literally a faggot, claims their phones are secure yet their phones get hacked every day. Gives data to LEA without hesitation. Based in the US.

>Google
botnet, i signed up for Gmail only but then they added all of their botnet services to my account and enables them by default that harvests your data. Gives data to LEA without hesitation. Based in the US.

>Microsoft
charge $200 for their operating system and still have the guts to pack it with botnet telemetry which can't be disabled. Gives data to LEA without hesitation. Based in the US.

>Nvidia
treats my Dell monitors as TV-screens, thus disabling the full sRGB colour range which gives me washed out colours. Releases a new 400MiB driver for every new game. GeForce Experience takes 20 seconds to launch on SSD's. Closed source everything. Bullies game developers to make their games work better on Nvidia.

>Intel
disgusting marketing campaigns. hardware backdoor into their CPU's. Charging $50 to unlock some software features on their CPU's (link below).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/205772/Intel_Annoying_Pilot_Program_Offers_Chip_Upgrade_for_a_Fee.html

>Western Digial
my WD Green hard drive spins down every 8 seconds which will significantly decrease life time. get 43 degrees in a well cooled computer case. vibrates more than a 7.8 earthquake on the ricther scale.
>>
>>54147089
holy shit this board has a lot of generals
>>
>>54147149
We need them sometimes.
>>
>>54148292
Can you start making gcg's again, mku?
>>
>>54147089
Never heard that about WD.
>>
>>54147089
>my WD Green hard drive spins down every 8 seconds

you fucking retard.
greens arent for system usage. they are for storage.
they spin down when no I/O occurs to INCREASE lifetime dramatically.
>>
You forgot to mention all the chink brands that exist.
>>
>>54147089
How trusted are Russian companies, especially online services?

Coming from Slavic country, I always considered them "too close to home". How about you, western /g/entoomen?
>>
>>54147089
>AMD
Their processors are shit, in both markets
>Apple
I'm not paying 1200 dollars for a locked down piece of shit I can't fuck with, same for phones
>Microsoft
Windows is absolute botnet shit, but office is pretty cool and comfy af
>Lenovo
They killed the ThinkPad
>Seagate
Enjoy your dead drives
>Razer
gaymur meme
>>
so what the fuck we gonna do?

there is any cpu company thats not botnet??
>>
>>54147089
>intel cpu upgrade program

WEW LAD. I've just heard about it. So you pay $50 to unlock hyperthreading, REMOTELY? Botnet confirmed, they can do anything with your CPU.
>>
Free™ as in freedom® botnet-free© computing guide

https://minifree.org/
>>
>>54147089
>Apple
Overpriced for sure
>Google
Fucking Google+
>Microshit
One thing: Windows 10
>Nvidia
One thing: Kepler drivers
>Intel
Thats years old, unfortunately Intel is the only option when you want performance
>WD
Overpriced, got a Seagage SSHD cheaper than a 2 TB WD Black
>AMD
Not better than Nvidia, rebrands and overprices old GPUs
>>
>>54148791
IBM
>>
>>54148827
>https://minifree.org/

>Free
>You have to actually pay for it
>50 euro for fucking stickers

Wew
>>
>>54148867
freedom ain't free
>>
>>54148836
>Marketing AI to manage medical records for companies in "the cloud" meme.
>Not a botnet.
>>
what is 'LEA'?
sorry for being a newfag
>>
>>54148867
ITT people who don't understand the difference between free software and freeware.
>>
>>54149370
Low Earth Aorbit
>>
Not tech companies but I boycott

> chick fil a
Christians that donate to hateful lobbyist groups

> dominos
They donate to pro life groups

>Bp+exon
Oil spills because they cut corners with safety

> all major banks and financial institutions
Financial crisis (I use NFCU)
>>
>more generals
Please my hard drive isn't big enough to have a filter large enough to filter all the fucking generals you reddit shitters want to make
>>
>>54149370
Law enforcement agencies
>>
Intel, for the reasons OP mentioned and for the cripple AMD function in their compiler
>>
>>54149410
b8
>>54149440
thanks
>>
>>54149423
Oh also
> nestle
Pure evil
Claims water is not a human right
Forced poor African villages to pay them for baby formula
>>
What about Dell and HP?
>>
>>54149492
What about you being a cock gargling cum factor

Fucking tripfag
>>
>>54149499
Faggot not factor*
>>
>>54149482
Wasn't it a little more than that? Didn't they set it up so that the village was dependant on the formula before charging them?
>>
>>54149492
the hell nigga calm down, eat some fruit.
>>
>Linden Labs
Fucks over people who have kept their shitty dead virtual world alive by investing thousands of dollars. Bans people with little to no explanation.
>>
>>54149507
Yup, they promised it would be free until they no longer were lactating (lactation ceases early if you don't use it)
>>
>>54149492
I just avoid HP because their products are naturally bad.
>>
File: 1460144631760.png (672 KB, 584x553) Image search: [Google]
1460144631760.png
672 KB, 584x553
>>54148756
THIS

Lenovo created the chinkpad. The thinkpad was dead when IBM sold their comsumer division to them. There was so much Chinese crapware on my t440p when I got it.

You don't sell a 1.5 k computer and fill it with more crapware than a $200 HP, and expect people to trust you. Also fucking superfish on their other laptops.

Not even going to mention how the build quality slowly went to complete shit gen by gen, and they were too fucking cheap to put discrete buttons on my generation. Greedy fuckers had the nerve to tell people an objectively crappier keyboard and touchpad was better. The sales proved otherwise.
>>
>>54147089
>Google
Have you ever checking your privacy settings in Google.com?
For fucks sake anon, this is a technology board, having stupid anons like you who can't even disable the default settings is pathetic.

>Microsoft
>He pays for his Windows 10
>>
None because I'm not an autistic faggot.
>>
>>54149932
^
>>
>>54149793
>IBM sold their comsumer division to them
i cry everytiem
>>
>>54147089
how dumb do you have to be to think apple and google "give data to LEA without hesitation"
>>
>>54148756
>They killed the ThinkPad
thinkpad p50 is great
>>
>>54147089
Applel and Samshit
>>
>>54148752
Stay in your shithole you fucking mongoloid dirty gypsy scum. Fuck you and your people, Fuck your country. Fuck you all, I hope you all go through a long, painful agony before getting the fuck out of this planet. Yes I'm fucking mad, FUCK YOU.
>>
>>54147089
>my WD Green hard drive spins down every 8 seconds which will significantly decrease life time.
Can't you disable that in the OS settings? Or does the hard drive firmware override that?
>>
Personally:
Microsoft, Apple

Professionally:
Nothing, if shittards want to buy/use shitfuck I'm going to make some sweet money off of it.
>>
I don't boycott companies, just products.

No root access for the user?
No buy.

No freedom to choose what software I install?
No buy.

No access without an internet connection?
No buy.
>>
samshit
>>
>>54150716
So much hate from such a small penis, lol.
>>
>>54149424
So filter threads with general in the OP.
>>
>>54147089
i wonder to know how and which device you use to post your facts i bet you're using a macbook.
>>
>>54147089
>hurr durr we gonna boycot Intel CPUs
As if Intel wants to keep selling desktop CPUs lmao.

If people stop buying their CPUs they'll just move on to mobile shit faster.
>>
File: lel.png (41 KB, 605x715) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
41 KB, 605x715
Not boycotting anything, but ever since I bought a Windows Phone, MS has been pissing me off on an almost regular basis. It is probably the least reliable customer product provider I have ever had to deal with. It makes Google killing off its services look like an almost eternal entity.

>buy Lumia 1020 for the camera
>don't worry guys, it will all be upgraded to Windows Phone 10, we promise!
>later: sorry, it won't, but here's a voucher for a discount on our new phone
>in the meantime
>MS discontinues photobeamer app support and splits the already small app market into WP 8.1 and WP 10 apps
>today this happens
>whereas google increases your storage all the time, microsoft DECREASES it

Shit, it's like MS just wants me to stop buying their products whenever possible. Way to kill any consumer good will one might have had.
>>
>>54147089
Still posting your bigoted opinions as facts, OP?
Still?
How predictable.
>>
>>54148791
Cyrix
>>
>>54147089
none because my consumer dollar is worthless in a market dominated by lucrative enterprise contracts anyway
>>
GitHub - SJWs
>>
>>54147089
i boycott:
intel
nvidia
amd
apple
google
android (as a division of google)
microsoft
linux (not a company, fuck linus torvalds)
Berkeley university (so no bsd derivatives for me)
Wi-Fi (fuck their monopoly)
>>
>>54157312
2012: 25 gbytes of free storage
2014: 15 gbytes of free storage
2016: 5 gbytes of free storage
(projected)
2018: 1.25 gbytes of free storage
2020: 300 mbytes of free storage
2022: 75 mbytes of free storage
>>
>>54160424
Back to the glory days of Hotmail. Soon.
>>
VALVE. They are spreading DRM to the GNU/Linux platform. GOG is a more ethical alternative.
>>
>>54157312
honestly you're retarded for using cloud storage at all.
>>
>>54148867
You can libreboot yourself as well, like I did.
>>
File: 248.jpg (222 KB, 545x614) Image search: [Google]
248.jpg
222 KB, 545x614
>>54149423
>donate to pro life groups
>bad
>>
google and M$ for the most part.
>>
>EA
Filthy Jews with shit TOS and customer support.
>>
Apple
>>
>>54147089
My WD`s external hard drive stopped working for no reason, this company is bullshit and theirs products more than.
>>
>>54160261
so you just don't compute at all do you?
>>
>>54148791
if they aren't yet, they become one with time
>>
>>54162069
hows life with a mental disorder?
>>
>>54149423
Wow, you sound like a whiner :^)
>>
>>54160261
>>>54147089 (OP)
>linux (not a company, fuck linus torvalds)
what's so wrong about him?

>Wi-Fi (fuck their monopoly)
uh.. what?
>>
>>54162828
Back to /pol/ Padijet, your kind ain't welcome here.
>>
>>54147089
>my WD Green hard drive spins down every 8 seconds which will significantly decrease life time. get 43 degrees in a well cooled computer case. vibrates more than a 7.8 earthquake on the ricther scale.
turn off smart power in windows for your disks, it'll stop the disks from spinning down.

source: WD Green 1.5TB going on 6 years of work. still works like a goddamn champ.
>>
>Apple
I just hate all of their products. My last Macbook Pro had a hard disk controller fail after just two years, rendering it more or less useless. It also had the DVD RW die completely, the screen dented and cracked, the Ethernet port dented, and has had two power cords basically destroyed.

With regards to the iPhone and iPad, I have a problem both with its security model, which both heavily restricts the consumer, and also doesn't work. Jailbreaking requires execution of a security vulnerability (rooting on many Android phones is as simple as unlocking the bootloader via fastboot, no vulnerability required), which guarantees that using the phone as one desires implies knowingly using an insecure device. Also, I have read multiple stories about iPhones spontaneously combusting.

Not really much else off the top of my head.
>>
It's not a technology company but I refuse to drink any soda or eat any kind of 99 cent style candybars like Snickers or Butterfinger.

Why?
Because it's all poison
>>
>>54147149
For a moment there, I thought I was in /mlp/
>>
>>54147089
>another general
>>>/reddit/
>>
I will buy from anyone if their product is the best in that category. Apple just never happens to be best at anything, though they do come close somethimes.

So while not a boycott, I'll likely still never own an Apple product.
>>
>>54147089
>WD

In a shitty 50$ case, my WDHDD are running at 35 degrees.
>>
>>54150716
salty
>>
>>54147089
>overpriced products,

4u

>claims their phones are secure yet their phones get hacked every day.

LOL no. Nothing is 100% secure. Their phones are more secure then any other phone out there unless you jailbreak.

>Gives data to LEA without hesitation.

If they can access the data themselves they have to provide it to a LEA with a warrant otherwise their employees will go to jail and their data centers will be raided. Blame the U.S. government for that.

The twist you are ignorant of is this: they are purposely designing their products to be secured such that they physically cannot access the data, and therefore cannot be made to comply with a warrant. If you do not use iCloud backup and do not use Apple's key recovery service then Apple cannot get the data on your phone. That's what the recent FBI case was all about.

The FBI found a firm able to load a hacked version of iOS on the terrorist's 5c letting them brute force the passcode. Guess what? Apple is already modifying Secure Enclave so that such techniques won't work on future phones. (All they have to do is move passcode entry delay and auto wipe onto the SE chip itself with no possibility of override from the OS or firmware.)

I don't see anyone else with the balls to physically make it impossible to comply with gov warrants.

And that's why I do not boycott Apple even if I don't care for some of their other decisions. They are a hell of a lot more pro-privacy then Google or MicroBotNet.
>>
>>54149423
>> chick fil a
>Christians that donate to hateful lobbyist groups
>> dominos
>They donate to pro life groups

Thank you for this. I'm going to start eating at chick fil a and dominos tomorrow.

Can I donate to a pro life group in your name?
>>
>>54149482
seconded, fuck nestle
>>
>>54149514
Second life was an awesome idea but it didn't really work out, I think "the web 3.0" should be kind of like second life where you can set up your own world server instead of a webpage so people can explore it using a browser client or VR or something. You're totally right though linden labs fucked up, they could have ushered in a new era of web browsing by letting people create their own worlds on their own servers but instead they focused on thier own shitty world/economy bullshit. They didn't think big enough so it died.
>>
>>54162971
>the screen dented and cracked, the Ethernet port dented, and has had two power cords basically destroyed.

So basically you beat the living shit out of your MacBook Pro and want to blame Apple because you're a tard?

> Also, I have read multiple stories about iPhones spontaneously combusting.

kek. I think you confused that with spontaneous human combustion.
>>
>>54149514
>>54163361
Not for nothing, but has Linden/SL ever been hacked?

I cannot help but imagine that their systems are old hat by today's standards. I mean compared to today's social networks and other shit.
>>
>>54162069
Fuck humans, everyone should just die.
>>
>>54162069
Fuck pro-life groups, if they got what they wanted it would have been impossible for my girlfriend to have an abortion when I knocked her up! I would have had to kick her down the stairs! Also, human overpopulation is a real thing and we should start ethnic cleansing by gassing the pro-life groups.
>>
>>54163528
Not to defend or protest but I love how the same subset of pro life supporters also do not believe that refugees or poverty stricken families/children are considered less of a priority in terms of care than an underdeveloped lump of tissue and cells that are forming within a woman's uterus.

Also that the more radical pro lifers would outright death threat clinics and supporters of pro choice.

We live in a constantly conflicting world full of hypocrites. Its a miracle that we do not have more people snapping and just mass killing others out of insanity of the social conciseness.
>>
>>54149506
he's definitely got the factor.
>>
File: 1452173475504.png (104 KB, 749x773) Image search: [Google]
1452173475504.png
104 KB, 749x773
Apple.
>>
File: ES5Wdd7.jpg (116 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
ES5Wdd7.jpg
116 KB, 960x960
None
>>
>apple
not exactly a boycott, since they are simply losing every performance/price battle
>disney and everyone they bought
thanks for everlasting copyright and XYZ-man (N+1) movies
>nestle
literaly shipping water from africa to the other end of the world
said water is more expensive then beer or milk
all their sweets are priced at least twice as high as store-brand competition
>EA, Ubisoft
spend millions to make copypaste generic games that run like shit
>>
>intel
My processor is idle at 20 c what the fuck its literally house fire
>>
>Apple
nothing to argue with here
>Google
if you make a google account you should know you're well ingraned into the botnet, it's just how google operates. you can't expect privacy with google services
>Microsoft
just pirate it like the rest of us
>Nvidia
400mib is a lot for a driver, they could stand to reduce it a bit
they don't _really_ bully devs into using their tech, they just make it so it's nearly effortless to implement it. (they send their devs and engineers to help so the game devs don't have to worry about eye candy tech)
>Intel
that was eons ago, other than that intel is pretty shitty
>Western Digial
why the fuck did you buy a WD green for a desktop storage drive?
you get blues for that
>>
>>54149492
they make some pretty great hardware that I can get for super cheap used
>>
>>54160793
backblaze has a pretty good deal, even if you only use it for offsite backups and such
relying on 'cloud storage' for frequent access is retarded though, I personally use owncloud since it's a just werks solution for moving away from google stuff like drive
>>
>>54148619
yeah, why not.
>>
>>54162612
Yeah. I have no idea how did I send this text though.
>>54162883
I hate the mandatory, paid certification of WiFi compatible things.
>>
>>54160793
You're retarded for not using all the tools available to you.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.