[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>bash >shitty completion >no path replacement >no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Cover.jpg (38 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
38 KB, 378x500
>bash
>shitty completion
>no path replacement
>no aliases anywhere in the comman
>no right prompt
>bloated and slow
>no spelling correction
>shitty globbing
>no environment variable editing
>no one-line batch renaming with zmv
>no syntax highlighting

Tell me again why you're still using bash instead of zsh.
>>
Tcsh
>>
Real Unix Men use Korn.
>>
>>54145651
>bash
>no features
>bloated and slow
you're contradicting yourself
>>
>>54145706

Useful features are not bloat.

Enjoy your shellshock.
>>
bash comes preinstalled with ubuntu
>>
File: 9780131027244.jpg (18 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
9780131027244.jpg
18 KB, 227x300
>bash
>limited to 256 colors
>no mouse dragging
>no shortcut icons
>no right-click prompt
>bloated and slow
>have to memorize arcane commands
>shitty globbing
>no interface tiling
>no double-click application launching
>no vector support

Tell me again why you're still using bash instead of cde.
>>
I am using Zsh tho.

But I don't know how to use it effectively. Tips for beginners?
>>
>>54145651
>zsh
>not fish
Step it up
>>
Bash is the standard GNU/Linux shell and it Just Werks. Many scripts also expect Bash (which sucks but hey, what you gonna do?)

Gentoo tools are written for Bash so even if I switched to Zsh/fish/whatever I'd still have to "use" Bash in the background.. I think.
>>
>>54146915
Its literally only good for making easy functions and marking folders that you frequent to jump to them instantly with one command
>>
>>54147049
I like the spell check, tab completion and more desu
>>
spell check nigga? you must be kidding
>>
>>54145651
Every feature you said would be great for beginners. I mean Z shell makes scripting hardware by using path completion as a shell variable.

If you're linux educated and can program, stick with bash.
>>
>>54147022
So?
The shebang says which shell it should be run in.
You won't escape bloat, but you might get something better for daily use.
Most people don't modify their inputrc though, so I don't see why they complain about things they can fix.
>>
>>54146880
>comparing a shell and a DE
You can use both senpaitachi
>>
>>54147176
>something better
not really
>>
>>54145651

It's 2016 and we're still using bash as the de facto scripting language on most Linux distributions. Every time I look at a bash script it makes my eyes bleed. It really is an ugly language that's due for a cleaner redesign. It has too many relics of its past. I've always advocated for a new, better scripting language to be used, but as of 2016 there really is no push for such a thing. The more I use powershell, the more dated and annoying bash seems to me
>>
>>54145651
so it can make autists like you cry, because I use what you don't.
>>
>>54147049
>>54147076
I like the whitespace-aware globbing and fuzzy completion
>>
>>54147022
>Gentoo tools are written for Bash so even if I switched to Zsh/fish/whatever I'd still have to "use" Bash in the background.. I think.
Your login shell has absolutely nothing to do with what shell programs run as.

Speaking of which, I can recommend installing dash and using it as your standard /bin/sh instead of bash. It's significantly faster, especially for small scripts.

OpenRC init scripts etc. work entirely using dash
>>
>>54147349
>I've always advocated for a new, better scripting language to be used, but as of 2016 there really is no push for such a thing.
Isn't this literally what python, perl etc. exist for?
>>
>>54147403

Can I run regular system commands through Python without spawning a sub process?

I want something that behaves like present day bash but looks cleaner and feels nicer to write.
>>
>>54145651
I use zsh, like a perfectly fine and sane man
>>
>>54147445
Not sure about python but in perl or ruby you can do stuff like
`system command`
or
system("command", "arg1", "arg2")

I imagine python has something similar

>I want something that behaves like present day bash but looks cleaner and feels nicer to write.
Mildly contradictory, IMO. The “benefits” of bash (e.g. everything is a string) is what gives it its simplicity and its downsides at the same time.

If you're writing a script, use a scripting language. If you're interacting with a shell on the command line, use zsh.
>>
>>54146949
This
Fish is the best shell
>>
File: frYglI9g_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
frYglI9g_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>54145667
>>
>>54147394
Portage uses Bash
>>
>>54147191
t-taicho, you're so tsundere
>>
>>54147576
I know?
>>
>>54147478

>Not sure about python but in perl or ruby you can do stuff like `system command` or system("command", "arg1", "arg2").

And that's more typing than I want to do to run a simple command like "ls". Am I going to have to alias everything from now on? It's stupid

>Mildly contradictory, IMO. The “benefits” of bash (e.g. everything is a string) is what gives it its simplicity and its downsides at the same time.

It's really not, you can have a language that behaves like bash, but has nicer syntax and doesn't have all that legacy nonsense. I.E Algol inspired loop syntax, inconsistent white space requirements in some areas.. Etc
>>
>>54146949
/thread
>>
>>54147640
>And that's more typing than I want to do to run a simple command like "ls". Am I going to have to alias everything from now on? It's stupid
I don't think you understood me.

I'm not trying to suggest you do daily tasks like ‘ls’ or ‘mv’ or whatever from within one of these programming languages. That's literally what shells are for.

You use scripting languages when you want to write scripts, you know, of the kind that you save in a file and mark as executable.

There's no point trying to use a scripting repl as your daily shell.
>>
>>54147590
Confused that you know?

How the fuck questions their knowledge.

I know, you?
>>
>>54148325
I'm confused as to why you're mentioning it
>>
>>54145651
It acts more like shell. If you want any of those features use it inside emacs.
>>54145659
Is for programmers who are playing sysadmin, zsh is effectively its replacement, no one should still be using tcsh if they can avoid it.
>>
>>54145651
>zsh
>even worse autocompletion
>spell suggestion is always wrong and triggers even when there's a direct match, doesn't learn anything either
>have to use massive configs like prazto or omz to actually make it even remotely usable
>these configs are ridiculously slow
Use fish for the login shell and a non-bash posix shell for everything else if you're not a masochist.
>>
>>54145651
Bash just werks for me. But I'm not a programmer and I do most of my day to day stuff from KDE, so what the fuck do I know?
>>
File: nope.png (192 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
192 KB, 404x404
>>54148711
>no support for lambda functions
>>
>>54147533
Id try fish, but the different syntax kills me
>>
>>54149745
It's significantly better syntax tbH fAm.
>>
You people still using bash, in 2016?
LOL
http://node-os.com/
>>
>>54150004
>
>>
>>54145651
Because I sometimes compile and not all of the scripts have zsh support.
>>
I was using zsh but I switched to fish.
>>
>>54150024
>what's a shebang?
>>
>>54149622
Name one use for lambda functions in shell scripts.
Protip: there are none.
>>
>>54149745
Install the Fisher plugin manager for fish and then install bass
>>
>>54150083
Sounds kinky.
>>
You can damn sure edit bash environment variables, just sayin >>54145651
>>
>>54147191
>>54146880
I don't know what all this weeb shit is, but CDE came with a shell called dtksh. It was a korn shell compatible replacement for tcl/tk.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.