[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unreal Engine vs Unity vs CryENGINE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 17
File: 3gURZ31.gif (4 MB, 426x232) Image search: [Google]
3gURZ31.gif
4 MB, 426x232
Alright /g/entiles, which engine is best? Take all into consideration including buisness model, ease of use, flexibility, raw power, community, documentation, need I say more? Lets begin.
>>
>>54127350
I like Unreal cause it's ridiculously easy to use , inarguably the most flexible and powerful engine of the three.
>>
>>54127350
Unreal is your best best.

It's free, open source and it has blueprints. The only down side is that once you make x money you owe x amount to Epic Studious.

Unity: Free. No royalties. The engine is easy to use. The only issue is people tend to not know how to use it correctly and end up with shitty., buggy and unoptimized game.

Cryengine. You have access to nothing but scripting unless you pay for source. It's really advanced.
>>
>>54127386
Unity has no royalties?? Just license?? Damn
>>
File: 197n3thqfo2hkjpg.jpg (63 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
197n3thqfo2hkjpg.jpg
63 KB, 600x790
>>54127432
Yeah. You can buy a Pro license for $1k~ and no royalities. I haven't looked at prices since early last year so maybe it's cheaper now.
>>
>>54127460
I guess the big question is can you achieve the same level of sexiness in unity that you can with unreal? Unreal shaders are pretty sweet
>>
>>54127523
i'd be more concerned of finishing a project.

I've been "making a game" for 5 years now.
>>
>>54127570
what game? i just started myself in unity.. a game with 8x8 textures heavily relying on random.
>>
>>54127570
I constantly change engines. Stick with UE4 and learn it. LEARN IT. Not change.
>>
How well does each of them support Linux developers working on HTC Vive apps? That is how I will rank them.
>>
>>54127635
I can never finish the project and always scrap it. I've been doing it for years. Don't be like me. Just keep learning and don't stop. It's totally worth it.

I did two different projects.

1.Boat warfare that included actually walking on the deck (UDK) I got bouancy to work, but the ship would tip over in the water.

2.Recreation of BF2142 for my own pleasure.
>>
>>54127688
UE4 is the way to go.
>>
>>54127697
That boat one sounds awesome. You could probably whip something up pretty quick in blueprints
>>
File: 9149ca.png (196 KB, 1578x1045) Image search: [Google]
9149ca.png
196 KB, 1578x1045
>unity
>.net
easy af to reverse engineer tho
>>
>>54127757
I gots to learn me myself some assembly, any advice where to start?
>>
>unreal engine
Top quality, code open to developers (not free software), runs great
>unity
Shitware that spies on customers
>cryengine
free as in beer, decent engine

Just don't use fucking Unity.
>>
>>54127802
why so butthurt for Unity? its not that bad... right? Enlighten me anon
>>
>>54127386
>It's free, open source and it has blueprints. The only down side is that once you make x money you owe x amount to Epic Studious.

Bitch, you just said it's free, that is a pretty good deal but that is not free
>>
>>54127884
It's free.

Royalties are just added if you make over x amount.
>>
You're completely in the wrong place, /g/ thinks it's programming and making money by arguing about obscure dead software licenses.

>>>/vg/agdg

Mostly 2D fags but still they actually may finish their project instead of arguing about if the { bracket should be on its own line
>>
>>54127830
On /g/, software is bad if it's popular just because it's popular. Bonus anti-points if it doesn't have documentation.
>>
>>54127884
Its free for people that won't make money using it, so you should be fine.
>>
File: gotheresy.jpg (136 KB, 728x768) Image search: [Google]
gotheresy.jpg
136 KB, 728x768
>>54127955
What type of heresy do you speak of? The curly bracket should never be left alone!
>>
File: fires.jpg (605 KB, 2197x1684) Image search: [Google]
fires.jpg
605 KB, 2197x1684
>>54127974
sick burn.
>>
>>54127757
I thought Unity uses Mono
>>
>>54128593
You can use javascript or C# (and Boo I think), but it's really pointless because it all comes down to structure. You're just using the built in unity classes time and time again so they are the same between the two languages.
>>
>>54127697
I just got into game development. One day I finally decided to say fuck it and decided to try one project I had in mind. Am I crazy for using ioq3 as my engine of choice (as opposed to source)? I wanted an engine that can easily run on any machine that was free.
>>
>>54127350
Unreal for sure, but Unity is also pretty decent, considering the learning material and content available. CryENGINE is just not worth your time, don't bother.
>>
>>54127350
All are shit.
Write your own using C/C++ using OpenGL.
>>
>>54129227
Not gonna make a game tier.
>>
>>54129169
Source will make you pay fees to Havoc. It's not worth it.
>>
I use unity. I installed it to check it out. Never bothered uninstalling. UE4 requires you to be logged in to use it. This is terrible which kinda ruins it for me. I don't like being monitored....
>>
>>54129227
>hey guys I need to move some furniture, what truck should I use
>lol make your own truck
>>
>>54129636
>I don't like being monitored
>I install and use proprietary software like Microsoft Windows
>>
>>54129227
>not using ASM with your own 3D API
>>
>>54129227
UE4 uses C++ and OpenGL.
>>
>>54127757
Which Rainbow 6 is that?
>>
>forcing your api functions and properties through the main thread

My main gripe about Unity. I think I heard that Unreal does this too in a way. Any engine that makes it harder to multithread their procedures can go to hell.
>>
How is this even a question.

Unreal 4
Cryengine is dated as fuck
Unity isnt there yet
>>
Unity for people who don't know how to into baka desu senpai.
>>
>>54129707
Unity is available on loonix
>>
>>54127697
>Recreation of BF2142 for my own pleasure.
God tier game anon. What's your progress on it?
>>
very few people here will tell you anything useful

UE4's asset pipeline is entirely cooked, which means you'll have difficulty if your game will contain anything dynamic (ie importing player faces)

but a big reason to favor UE4 is their material system, which requires no GLSL as opposed to Unity, whose built-in shaders are utter garbage.

Unity has no physics substepping, and their physics run at a seperate fixed frame rate (default 50 fps) which causes severe stuttering if you want to use a rigidbody player pawn.

if you are actually willing to purchase assets, unity's asset store is much more developed than UE's marketplace at the moment.

lastly, Unity is much more stable than UE4. if you forget to null-check something in Unity, it will warn you at runtime and usually stop running that script. in UE4 the whole editor will fall over and crash. you'll also quickly run into issues where you can compile for the editor just fine, but you get errors when packaging. i wrote an entire text to speech audio system which worked just fine in the editor, only to find that it crashed on a packaged binary with no known solution (6 months and still no staff response to my ticket)
>>
>>54130622
oh one more thing,

unity's animation system is very good, where you can fully animate not only objects but script variables as well. UE4 has animation blueprints but it's no comparison
>>
File: cpma.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
cpma.webm
2 MB, 800x450
>>54127350
ioquake3 or qfusion if you want a lightning-fast cross-platform engine with the most responsive input available. Also the most efficient netcode and a good prediction model. If you want up-to-date graphics, forget it. Also, run-time entities have axis-aligned bounding boxes and capsules, with no option to load detailed collisionmodels without you putting that in yourself (just use the code in qcommon/cm_*.[ch]). There are quite a few different map editors that are easy to use. Scripting is done with triggers and entities (same as Source).
Use these if you want a game that feels and runs excellent. The only reason I'm mentioning these is that so few games today feel as good as the Dooms and Quakes and their derivatives. They're old but good quality engines.

Unreal Engine if you're fine with your game being absolutely enormous (it's about time Epic came up with something like pak files instead of making you rolling fucking enormous patches every time), with disappointing performance, input feel, netcode, and prediction model. UE also has an input bug that is never going away, where mouse deltas are multiplied up then down then snapped to integers in such a way that tiny mouse movements get ignored, which feels bad. Also, using UE4 without MSVS is a pain even though it's now cross-platform. UE's map editor is decent, and blueprints are immediately powerful if not a panacea.
Use this if you want a game that looks nice.

I've still yet to see a Unity game that isn't stuttery and low-fps and with crap input feel. It may be good in skilled hands. I have no experience with it.
>>
>>54130861
Which map editor do you recommend with ioquake3?
>>
>>54130958
netradiant or gtkradiant 1.6
>>
>>54131158
Any good guides for gtkradiant?
>>
>>54131179
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GtkRadiant/First_Room
this probably
>>
>>54130861
Finally an advice from a real gamer. Thank you for OP
>>
>>54127971
it does http://docs.unity3d.com/
>>
>>54130861
At least Valve is using Unity for some one-off projects now, so they're contributing some decent performance related stuff. For example they're releasing a rendering pipeline that dynamically scales resolution based on performance (for VR)
>>
>>54131668
Unfortunately that won't change the fact it's blatantly running garbage collection phases, not to mention plenty of dynamic allocations, mid-frame.
>>
>>54127350
The cryengine pipeline is much more complicated than UE4, and the engine sucks at open spaces.
Unity is just garbage all around.
Thus, UE4.
>>
>>54127350
unity because unreal takes royalties

cry is shit without paying, source2 also lacks
>>
>>54127523
> can you achieve the same level of sexiness in unity that you can with unreal?
Yes, if you want your game to run at 1fps at 480p on a quad-sli titan X setup.
>>
>>54129227
They are all shit in their own ways, but if you have a team of at least 10, it's more productive to use one.

1- CryEngine: shit pipeline. Shit level editor. Shit tools in general. Bad open area rendering.
2- Unity: garbage performance, lots of features don't actually work but the documentation is not updated to reflect that, the fact that these features don't work is "as expected", you can only learn about that through very extensive googling until you find someone else having asked the question and unity staff having responded thus. Many features that were supposed to work for years still don't work, or not reliably. For instance, linux support is abysmal and might as well not exist, while the webplugin doesn't work in the majority of cases (asks you to download the unity plugin even when it's already been installed, indefinitely).
3- UE4: all the tutorials are fucking awful to begin (but they're pretty good if you already have the groundwork setup - not the basic demos in UE4 which aren't enough at all). There are almost no references/objective-based documentation for C++ (it's all blueprint). The tutorials usually do something like start talking about superfluous shit and wait for over 30 subject-unrelated videos or articles before finally discussing things you'd like to do the first time you startup the engine (while all the superfluous shit could only be done much later anyway). Moreover, as the engine changes, there are many tutorials that become deprecated and it's very hard to translate for the new version because there are in general 30 places to do any one action, half of which are mandatory and half of which only work under special circumstances which are not well described.
>>
>>54127350
You can not make fun gameplay in UE.
It's not that much of an issue if you're making some slower paced RPG/shooter hybrid, adventure or top-down game, but mouse aiming and general first person controls will never feel good in that engine. Examples:

Dark Messiah (source) - awesome
Dishonored (UE) - shit

Thief (dark engine) - awesome
Thiaf (UE3) - shit

Zeno Clash (source) - awesome
Zeno Clash 2 (UE3) - shit
>>
>>54132659
Here's an up-to-date example about unity:

Now here's the shit :
If you make your gameObject a prefab, it will not work anymore. Precisely, it won't save anything. The SetDirty() which is supposed to fix this is deprecated, but not officially, so you're not going to be warned.
So, if you want to just modify a fucking float field now you have to :
- Make your base class serializable, no changes here
- Access a new thing called "serializedObject" in your custom editor
- Create a new SerializedField
- Find your float with serizaliedObject.Find("name in string"). I'm not joking, they use a string so enjoy writing it down or creating yet another string field to keep track of the name of your default float name.
- Assign the SerializedProperty to be modified by the custom editor
- Call serializedObject.ApplyModifiedProperties() at the end of your custom editor

And NOW the value will be memorized between test play session, but if you think you're done yet I'll laugh at you.
Try exiting your scene, even with saving, and the value will revert again. You have to call :
- UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.MarkSceneDirty(UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.GetActiveScene());
to force the changes.

All of this for a float field btw. Now where's the guy defending the Unity way again so I can punch him?
>>
>>54129636
Not really, to access the marketplace it requires login, but if you just open the project from your folder, it doesnt require login. Ive been doing it that way for years now
>>
File: skipschool.gif (1 MB, 299x268) Image search: [Google]
skipschool.gif
1 MB, 299x268
>>54132591
fucking kek :D
>>
>>54127776
would like to know as well
>>
>>54130050
i wrote a 3d software renderer in x86 asm a few years ago, it was really fun to learn.
>>
>>54127802
Unity is going open source, you mongoloid.
>>
>>54127350
UE vs Unity?

Well, Unreal Tournament 2004 works out of the box and runs like a charm on my machine, even though it was written over 10 years ago.

Modern unity games barely work and even the ones that do require me to use LD_PRELOAD hacks or edit the binaries to work around unity bugs.
>>
>>54133467
Good goy.
>>
What about Cube Engine? I'm guessing it just doesn't have enough features. I've never seen a Cube based game that features vehicles for example.
>>
>>54130958
dont forget to fetch an updated q3map2 build
>>
>>54134083
Cube is quake3-tier in terms of graphics capabilities, but it has really cool things like live editing (though you have to manually recompute things like shadows). Tesseract is more modern but it's still shit and the devs are 100% full of themselves and believe their engine is a Gift From God and literally perfect. Meanwhile it can't even do shadows right (you get hyper-pixelated grainy bullshit even at the highest setting).
>>
I have UE on my PC but didn't open it yet.

Can somebody explain to me how much stuff does game devs actually have to write if they use the engine like this? Is everything prebuilt and you mainly just use classes?
>>
All games I can do on my own are shit. Game dev is suffering.

UE4 is sweet though.
>>
>>54133429
Literally any free tutorial. Start with Mips if youre a baby. Get a reference card for registers and instruction sizes/types. It's not terribly difficult to get the basics but it suddenly ramps up with when you start trying to make it useful. Practice writing C code in assembly with the least amount of instructions possible. Don't bother writing out known pseudo instructions.
>>
>>54129227
> 2016
> OpenGL
> not Vulkan
At least I agree with C\C++, superior language when it comes to graphics development.
>>
>>54132865
>Dishonored (UE) - shit
that's wrong tho
>>
>>54134312
Vulkan doesn't even support fullscreen yet
>>
File: 1351688196379.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
1351688196379.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1440
>>54134358
Dishonored was a step down in every department.
>>
>>54134427
Developing a game will take you 2 years least, maybe one if the game is 2D, fullscreen sure as hell will be supported by then. Also rumours are there will be some huge changes to Vulkan in May so get hype.
>>
>>54134575
>oh no, you can't see the legs
>literally unplayable

Dishonored had fun gameplay
>>
>>54134635
It was literally an inferior recreation of Dark Messiah mechanics in an inferior engine.
>>
>>54134606
>start developing now
>in a month vulkan gets an update
>all of your code is now worthless glhf
>>
>>54134575
The game play in dishonored was just as quick and snappy as it was in dark messiah,if not far better due to the blink mechanic alone.
>>
>>54134653
Dark Messiah:
>Discover a new breed of Action-RPG game

Dishonored was primarily a stealth game
>>
>not building your own engine made of diferent open source libraries
holy shit this is almost /v/ level of babyness.
lmao.
>>
>>54134606
>fullscreen sure as hell will be supported by then
I wouldn't be so sure
The upcoming extensions say nothing about fullscreen access
And none of the devs really talked about it ever

Right now OpenGL still seems to be the better choice
>>
>>54134662
>casuals, casuals everywhere

Melee combat was reduced to QTEs and cinematic takedowns for retards. Blink only destroyed any semblance of challenge the game might have had otherwise.

>>54134685
>Dishonored
>''''''''''''''''''stealth''''''''''''''''

No it wasn't. Stealth mechanics were about as poorly developed as in DM, only the game pushed you to use them if you wanted the good ending. Enemies literally can't see above their heads, coupled with blink it makes the stealth aspect a complete joke.
>>
>>54129640
underated post
>>
>>54134251
You could just use blueprints and not write a single line of code, but otherwise none of the game logic are present, only common shaders, effects and models are present, and only some generic interaction models (camera, command input) are provided.
>>
>>54134606
?
You can easily make a full 2D game in a couple of months.
>>
>>54134824
It's fine if you've never played the game, just don't pretend you're an expert on it.
>>
File: 2012-11-19_00005.jpg (329 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-19_00005.jpg
329 KB, 1920x1200
>>54135060
Go ahead, find this on google images.
Fucking oblivious casuals acting uppity really rustles my autism.
>>
>>54135160
nice youtube screencapture
>>
File: 2012-11-18_00004.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2012-11-18_00004.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1200
>>54135206
Nice cop out.
Com back when you can tell gameplay from flashy scripted sequences, casual.
>>
>>54135311
nice youtube screencapture
>>
File: 20160414085421_1.jpg (309 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160414085421_1.jpg
309 KB, 1920x1080
>>54132865
>You can not make fun gameplay in UE.
Do you have Killing Floor 2 as well?
>>
>>54135018
Does anybody actually use blueprints for anything other than prototyping? How flexible are they?
>>
idtech3
>>
File: 1425869107767.jpg (34 KB, 336x335) Image search: [Google]
1425869107767.jpg
34 KB, 336x335
>>54129640
>>
>>54134656
Is this bait?

>>54135035
It depends on the size of the game and the size of your team, but generally I agree year is maybe stretch if you don't do a lot of testing.

>>54134741
I doubt it, the gains in performance on linux are more than noticable. And the full-screen is possible with Vulkan.
>>
>>54135773
You can make whole games with blueprints. The reason people typically don't do that is that you get a 3x-10x performance penalty if you do so. Instead, people write bits of code and tie it all together in blueprints.
>>
>>54136048
True fullscreen isn't possible in Vulkan
That means you get an extra 33ms of input lag on a 60hz monitor when Aero is enabled
>>
>>54134237
Well, I didn't ask about Tesseract did I? But I somewhat see what you're getting at. It just doesn't have the modern features other engines have. The live edit thing is kinda neat though.
>>
>>54134716
Wow, master. Please do a writeup on how to properly do this. If you can make it so simple a kid can do it, I will concede to your superiority.
Of course you can't because as anyone knows
>The definition of genius is taking the complex and making it simple. -Albert Einstien
You /g/faggots have forgotten that simple axiom.
>>
>>54137505
why you're here if you can't do something as basic as making libraries work together.

maybe you should go back to agdg with the other kids.
>>
>>54127697
Please provide footage of boat tipping over, sounds funny.
>>
>>54132659
What do you think about Source?
>>
>>54137548
Because I'm on a level lower than what you're talking about but still want to learn.
I had to lookup what agdg and it was fucking reddit. As if I'd go to that clusterfuck. It fine though, I'll sit in the back and listen, or not.
>>
>>54137638
I don't get most of their games can be done on SDL without too much problem, but they use bloated shit because they're too dumb to learn AABB colisions and basic high school physics.
>>
>>54127757
Why would you deliberately make your program hard for other people to understand, Anon?

Why would you even have your users have to go through the tedious process of disassembling a proprietary executable instead of providing them with the source code? ;^)
>>
>>54137429
Tesseract is literally "cube: we're totally modern guys please believe!". It uses the same files and has the same underlying features, except it has a few more tricks in the T&L department.
>>
>>54137597
Never used it so I can't say.

>>54137734
Only true for 2D. Low-level 2D game programming is ridiculously simple compared to 3D when you have to manage render orders, shader collections, and complex transform hierarchies, on top of minute mistakes or small missing optimizations having large performance impacts. Plus, file formats are a lot more complex and there are few tools that can actually load them for you at that level. Most people use their own personalized format and write something from scratch.
>>
>>54138212
>only for 2D
99% of agdg games are 2D anon.
>>
>>54138228
Wow, what a bunch of wankers!
>>
>>54137734
At least they make games (the whole point of an engine) while you masturbate to your technology of choice and beauty of your code :^)
>>
>>54138471
they can't even make 2D shit using fucking GM.

how much of a failure you must be?
>>
>>54138514
I've seen some of their games. They can.
>>
>>54138621
they must be if they're using fucking GM.
>>
>>54138137
Ok, thanks for clarifying.
>>
Unity cucked themselvs early on by going the .Net route.

Now they're trying to move to native C++ abomination by doing ridiculous c#/.Net code translations for C++ compilers
>>
>>54127350
>U4
+Will make even the crappiest look good.
+Material editor if you can't write shader code
+Rapid prototyping with blueprints
+extensible with C++
+Hot reloading C++
+Very easy to work with (lvl editor, animation editor, particle editor, ect...)
+Open source (though the codebase is MASSIVE)

-Will need a high end PC to develop for it.
-Compiling your C++ game code can take 30 seconds or longer even if you only have 1 or 2 files
-Hot reloading fails occasionally
-Visual studio might not be very responsive (intellisense, hitting breakpoints, stepping)
-Giant .exe sizes. Even for small[spoiler][/spoiler] games
-Blueprints performance suck.
-Games require high end hardware to play.

>Unity
+Easy to learn
+Can get a prototype running really fast
+Lots of tutorials, information and very active community
+scripting in C# > blueprints (imho)

-No tools to blockout a level quickly unless you buy some pluguns
-Allows for native code but generally little support and discuraged
-Can have shit performance unless you know a lot about how to optimize C# code.
-No material editor (You'll have to write shader code)
-It's spyware

>CryENGINE
Literally who
>>
>>54139105
Oh and also. You should take a look at some open source engines. Some of them have permissive licenses.

Personally I've got a bit experience with http://urho3d.github.io/
The documentation isn't that great but the code base is small enough that you can generally figure everything out yourself if you're a decent C++ programmer.
Also its tools are shit, but I'm no artist anyway and I just prefer to hardcode it anyway. So if you're doing this solo and are a programmer I think this is a really great engine to mess around in.
>>
File: mars.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1360
>>54127350

Now that shit like HammUEr is available how feasible would it be to just build all of your levels in Hammer and then export them to UE?
>>
>>54133447
any tutorial on this I am interested.
>>
File: JYtjIcA.jpg (574 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
JYtjIcA.jpg
574 KB, 1920x1080
>>54139660
I guess.
Hammer's brush engine >>>>>>>> UE's brush engine.

Though keep in mind that in modern games there is very little brushwork left and everything is just replaced with modular static meshes.
But being able to rapidly blockout levels using brushes really helps level designers.
>>
>>54139862
Not him but take a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEETnX-uPtBUbVOok816vTl1K9vV1GgH5
>>
>>54139862
Not him.

I'm writing one in C, and later porting it to cuda, but there's a lot of things you can't do on the CPU that the GPU graphics pipeline can that you just shouldn't bother.

You may achieve 80's-90's tier graphics quality with a software rasterizer.

>>54134312
Vulkan has less support, less material written for, and is fucking barebones (700 lines of C for a fucking triangle).
Using Vulkan instead of OpenGL is like using asm instead of Java.
It's literally toying program tier.
>>
>>54140028
> porting it to cuda

That's not how that works mate...
>>
>>54139987

I just want to learn how to make levels for Unreal Engine stuff but so far all of the info I am seeing for doing so usually boils down to "Learn Maya, build everything in it, then import it to UE", which seems kind of unusual.
>>
>>54135160

LOD at the top of those two far buildings is fucking awful
>>
>>54140195
Disregard what these fags are saying.

First you design your level using brushes. It doesn't matter how it looks at this point, it's all about how it plays.
THEN 3d software comes into play.

the "Learn Maya, build everything in it, then import it to UE" workflow is the whole reason why levels suck these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubu76gEvM8
>>
>>54140800

It's funny you mention it, that video (and the one preceding it) were what was steering me in the direction of learning Hammer instead of UE.

I want to build levels but I don't want to waste 12 months learning the "wrong" method.
>>
>>54135661
Killing floor 1 - UE 2.5 heavily modded and practically popularized off the backs of modders like Marco (Awesome)
killing floor 2 - UE 3. Shit support for modding. Consolized. All modders turned away / turned down TWI. Behind schedule. No proper planning (complete garbage).
>>
>>54140884
Honestly you're stuck between using an outdated engine either Source, Quake or a derivative of Quake (neither of them have particularly attractive licenses), using UE4's shitty workflow or buying a $95 Unity plugin (ProBuilder).
>>
>>54140961

>Honestly you're stuck between using an outdated engine either Source, Quake or a derivative of Quake (neither of them have particularly attractive licenses), using UE4's shitty workflow or buying a $95 Unity plugin (ProBuilder).

Figures.

I guess I'll start fucking around with Source then, at least it seems to have a fairly low barrier to entry, and if I stick with it hopefully a decent chunk of the skillset will still be relevant for Source 2 whenever that becomes a thing we can mess with.
>>
>>54129169
How does one build a standalone game with ioquake3?
>>
>>54139660
Why would you do that? Even the unreal 2 editor is better than hammer in every possible way. Just learn natively how to use UEditor.
>>
>>54141023
Ogaaa bogga bix nood mafaka
>>
File: exampleboat.jpg (429 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
exampleboat.jpg
429 KB, 1920x1080
>>54130418
dead as a fish

>>54137578
all i've got is this screenshot in UDK for some basic shit
>>
Unreal Engine is objectively the best.
>>
>Massive sandbox game
CryENGINE
>Linear game
Unreal Engine
>>
>>54127830
I used it for a uni project, spent a month working on it and felt like killing myself every step of the way. Only got a high C.

It is awkward if you're shit at it and don't have much time, that is just my experience. Whats worse is next year we get to vote what modules we get to do, guess what module everyone but me in my year is voting for.
Game design of course a project based module for students who don't do well in group projects taught by the brilliant but really fucking strict lecturer.

I might fucking drop out, no way am I carrying a whole group project again.
>>
>>54142583
>cry
>massive sandbox
LMAO
>>
>>54129227
top lel
>>
>>54142748
It's honestly not bad advice, sadly.
>>
What's the best engine for open world games?
What are some engines besides the big ones (Cryengine, unreal, unity,)?
>>
>>54129227
Haha you retard writing c++ is easy compared to make an engine learn physics, lighting, collisions and make your own fucking bloated engine editor.

Kkkkkk see you in 10 yes. Oww and I want good graphics and good performance maybe you are a mastermind. I forgot cross platform support aswell.
>>
>>54127432
If you use the free version of unity it has the royalties as unreal
>>
>>54142884
Unity $1,500 per seat (devs using the software) + some more money for android/ios license after you make $100,000.

Unreal 5% of gross income of your game after it ears $100,000
>>
>>54130861
CPMer here. Are you ska or do you just know him?
>>
>>54142952
You can pay a flat fee to not need to pay royalties for unreal.
>>
>>54142952
Unreal has no royalties if you pay up in the same way.
>>
>>54127350
When the fuck did Amazon make a game engine?
>>
>>54143077
they're swinging their dick everywhere trying to make money
>>
>>54143077
sometime after they tried being Netflix, MGM studios, and NBC.
>>
>>54127350
Unreal i think gets you out the door fastest - It's got a hell of a community, and the Blueprint and C++ option brings for a lot of extendability, you could use the blueprint only, but if you're a coder , you'll find C++ better than dragging nodes and connections. And the blueprints are really well done in making it not only user freindly but artist friendly and it supports Inheritance and Interfaces and shit which for a visual scripting system is fucking cool. I also like UE's price structure

Unity : You should go with Unity only if A) you're not wanting the royalties thing of UE B) You want to target low power devices - I think UE can target low end devices too but not as great as unity, Mainly a mobile concern more than anything, PC says they need Shader 2.0 minimum, which, if you're playing games on that or lower, holy shit... (but it's good for schools and environments that never update)

Biggest Pros: Supports some good size reduction formats like Substance and Modular Music, and this thing called ProBuilder is absolutely based if you're not a 3D artist, helps you make geometry for levels, like BSP, but not actually BSP, similar workflow though

Cryengine - The Docs and community were garbo when i first tried it, maybe it's better now

I'd recommend Unreal overall hands down, Unity if you need to target lower end devices. or you're making a 2D game (Although there's way better options for 2D games than unity, but it's common)
>>
>>54143047
how much? and what is the window for that? Like say I made a super popular game, could I negotiate after it has made $99,999?
>>
>>54143077
When they bought a license to the cry engine.
>>
>>54143254
You have to contact unreal to find out the details. It will no doubt depend on the team size (i.e. they probably have unit prices but offer reduced prices at certain group sizes, and they will probably ask for less if you're indie or if they believe you'll be great advertisement).
>>
>>54143252
I'm making 2d game in 3d because it seems easier to me to layout my buildings that way. have different floors at a different z-axis, so I kinda like Unity and UE4's psuedo 2d, that and all the other 2d game engines I checked out have less documentation and tutorials
>>
Base your game on idtech3 from Wolfenstein: ET.
>>
>>54143921
id engines are technically very cool, but they usually don't come with the tools as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>54143305
You know you can just emulate a Z axis with draw orders and scaling? But again, it's understandable to use Unity or UE4..
>>
>>54143951
Well, GTK and Zero are available for maps.
>>
Why are unity games always so god damn unoptimized? No matter the graphics setting, most unity games tend to hit 100% GPU usage and max out VRAM.
>>
>>54144164
because it takes zero effort to turn the graphics to max to make up for lack of assets
>>
>>54144164
It's 100% the engine, it's a piece of absolute crap and if you don't rewrite the entire thing from scratch you're only getting garbage performance.
>>
>>54140954

>No proper planning

Don't make me prove you wrong in front of all these anonymous people, anon.
>>
>>54142952
>unreal 5% of gross income of your game after it earns $100K
Source? Did they change the royalty requirements?
IIRC: You pay Epic 5% of your profits, if you make over $3K per quarter.
>>
>>54127776
>>54133429
just do simple programs

if you want something interesting to do, program PICs

[spoiler]or just play TIS-100[/spoiler]
>>
>>54146651
100k is for unity: if you as a company make more than 100k in a year, you are not allowed to use unity without royalties as I recall.
>>
I am making my own game engine using AZDO OpenGL 4.5 that will probably require dual 980s to run at 60fps.

What should I name it?
>>
>>54148773
The Story of Gayme. Make sure it's an autobiography.
>>
>>54148773
CryUnrealityENGINE 9001
>>
>>54148773
stress tester
>>
>>54148873
UnrealCrying: Unity
>>
>>54127386
Every statement about any of the engines is wrong in this post.
Someone will take this seriously.
reported
>>
>>54127523
Unity has awful lighting and physics.

Unreal also lets you access source code whereas Unity is a blackbox. Unity is also in C# while Unreal is C++ or Blueprints which is a visual scripting knowledge.

>>54127830
Unity actually does spy on users, even users of your game.

>Q: I play a game built with Unity software, what should I know?
A: Unity has probably collected some or all of the following information about your device: Unique device identifier generated from the device MAC/IMEI/MEID (which we immediately convert into a different number using a one way hash); IP address; Device manufacturer and model; the operating system and version running on your system or device; browser type; language; the make of the CPU, and number of CPUs present; the graphics card type and vendor name; graphics card driver name and version (example: "nv4disp.dll 6.10.93.71"); which graphics API is in use (example: "OpenGL 2.1" or "Direct3D 9.0c"); amount of system and video RAM present; current screen resolution; version of the Unity Player; version of the Unity Editor used to create the content; a number describing whether the player is running on Mac, Windows or other platforms; and a checksum of all the data that gets sent to verify that it did transmit correctly; application or bundle identification ("app id") of the game installed. Some Unity developers use Unity’s analytics and ad services which collect additional information. See FAQs on Unity Analytics and Unity Ads below.
https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy

There are a few more sections on it.
>>
>>54149556
(You)
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.