[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raspberry Pi Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png (87 KB, 810x1024) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png
87 KB, 810x1024
What are you using/working on /g/?
>>
>>54126075
Can I use an orange pi pc, or orange pi plus 2, to browse the web and download torrents smoothly? No YouTube, possibly facebook, definitely 4chan and general web browsing.

I rarely keep more than 4 tabs open, leaning towards the opi pc thanks to it being so bloody cheap.
>>
>>54126107
you could probably do that but a gas station tracphone with kitkat could do that too.

any old phone you have lying around could do that.
>>
>>54128511
is the raspberry pi 3 good for emulation of retro consoles
>>
>>54129189
Yes. As is certain tracphones I am sure.
>>
>>54126075
I'm working on throwing this in the trash
>>
>>54129403
Do tracphones have video out, ethernet, and USB? Not being sarcastic, I am genuinely curious here.

>>54126075
I'm trying to figure out why my seedbox isn't seeding.
>>
Thinking about creating some home automation, lights when i enter the room and possibly some rfid to open my pc
>>
>>54129629
if you're just browsing 4 tabs and torrenting this weeks sitcoms from tbp, you could easily pair a phone with a monitor with downstream usb ports and use wifi.

>>54129654
I've been messing around with a light and a camera in my fridge. I open phone app i made and it turns on the light and camera so i can see what i need to buy at the grocery store. the problem is that the pis and cams die pretty quickly in the cold.
>>
>>54129720
>>use monitor over wifi
Pls no.

Do those kitkat tracfones at least support USB OTG?

>> pis and cameras die in cold.
That's odd. They aren't in the freezer are they? If your fridge is at the temperature it is supposed to be, then something very strange is happening.
>>
>>54129824
ubuntu mate bluetooth then. pis are slow as fuck honestly cheap phones are way faster.

originally i did have it by the freezer and i thought that was the problem. still had 2 sets of picams die im probably doing something wrong tho cause im a retard and too lazy to make a robot to open and close the door so the picam won't be in the cold.
>>
>>54129911
altho i'm familiar with that kind of projects, i still can t be arsed to make one and i take a pic before going to the grocery store
>>
File: PIK3A+Table+01.jpg (600 KB, 2166x2166) Image search: [Google]
PIK3A+Table+01.jpg
600 KB, 2166x2166
>>54129189
pi3 retro console
>>
File: pi3.png (720 KB, 763x536) Image search: [Google]
pi3.png
720 KB, 763x536
>>54129189
>>
>>54130002
what screen and buttons did you use?

i have one of those tables that i've been thinking of throwing out.
>>
>>54130059
not me -- full project on the web

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-80946/l/pik3a-the-raspberry-pi-3-ikea-retro-gaming-table
>>
>>54130059
https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-80946/l/pik3a-the-raspberry-pi-3-ikea-retro-gaming-table
>>
>>54129911
The raspberry pi 3 is decent. It's got a 1.2 GHz quadcore with 1 Gb ram. Cheapest smartphone I can find has 1.3 GHz dual core with 512 Mb of ram.

A cheap box with a battery and wifi is interesting though.

>> robot to open door
Nah man, you did the right thing. That'd be fucking complicated. Maybe you could drill a hole in your fridge and put a peephole in.
>>
>>54130112
>>54130122
neat project thx for the links.
>>
>>54130129
I got a pi3 thinking it would be ok. I was really wrong about that. I got some zte paragon phones last black friday that outperform it by miles.
>>
File: 20160418_122911.jpg (1 MB, 1152x1722) Image search: [Google]
20160418_122911.jpg
1 MB, 1152x1722
Making a Seagate drive actually fucking useful. Remove everything, insert Pi and accessories, easy small footprint retro console.
>>
>>54130152
Outperforms it how?
>>
>>54130219
in general speed and use?

>>54130169
dam im sorry u bought seagate. glad you could recycle it tho.
>>
>>54130239
Luckily, it was given to me. Still better repurposed.
>>
android got many io pins, i can confirm
>>
File: 1443121277637.gif (679 KB, 300x194) Image search: [Google]
1443121277637.gif
679 KB, 300x194
>>54126075
I'm actually thinking of installing gentoo on my pi2 just for fun, if that does or doesn't work then I'm also gonna try and make a local dns server either way that will block ads on my home network so I don't have to worry about wasted bandwidth. Once i get it set up I may order a pi zero to take over that job permanently and relegate the pi2 to my next project.
I'm always thinking of some new toy i want for my home network, if i can make it myself all the better, makes the pi perfect for me because it can be just about anything.
>>
Can somebody speak on a Raspberry Pi's lifespan/reliability when used as a server running 24/7?

I worry that if I have it going for over a week that it'll die on me.
>>
>>54126075
I am going to set up my first home server.
Looking for alternatives to ASRock C70M1, what does /g/ say about banana pi?

Also what HDD?
>>
>>54130450
pi3 comes with a heatsink and i've had mine running for maybe a month now and temps are super low. don't overclock and you'll probably be ok.
>>
>>54130450
I've used mine as a server, I have moved up to a Pentium G3258 build now but i had used the PI2 for a few months and never had any problems leaving it on 24/7. I would recommend storing any important files on a USB drive and not the SD card though, I wouldnt risk corruption due to a flaky PSU.
>>
>>54130481
probably just put some wd drives on ur ssh and you'll be fine

>>54130490
yeah im regretting using pis for servers i've been using a t60 for some stuff and it's a lot easier
>>
>>54130430
why reinvent the wheel anon?

just install pihole and dnscrypt

blocks ads, caches DNS requests, and securely and quickly gets the DNS requests
>>
>>54130558
cause i never knew the fucking wheel

thx m8
>>
>>54130587
the dnscrypt setup will require some additional work but not that much, and really much better than using regular opendns or googlebotnet dns

I think someone made a guide on pihole's git or somewhere for it
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (35 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
35 KB, 601x601
>>54130602
He want me, I'm installing gentoo for fun. If that doesn't work I'm honing to install raspbian and go from there.
I'm going to check into pihole, I've heard of it before and it sounded legit. But I'm not so hotels that I can't get there from scratch, this is a hobby project after all.
>>
>>54130647
>hotels
Hopeless*
Fucking phone, pic was never more related.
>>
I prolly get one for the hell of it. I mean, I have a pi zero (got it for free) and an old LCD monitor lying around, so I could make a shitposting machine out of it
>>
>>54126075
using mine as a solar powered SFTP server, seedbox and IRC bouncer
>>
Recommend me a HDD to use on my rpi2 for a seedbox use please. Im thinking something like 2tb, own power supply obviously, speeds can be rather poor because rpi2 itself is slow.
>>
>>54130978
What OS?
>>
Curious as to how /g/ works with their pi. Do you guys ssh in and do everything on the terminal? Do you use VNC to see the desktop? Or do you run it standalone with a keyboard and screen? I mean when setting the pi up, installing/making the scripts for it, etc. I'm new to the pi, coming from an arduino/ ARM background and for that you just connect it to your main PC via a cable. I understand they are totally different things but that's precisely why I'm curious.
>>
>>54131019
whichever it came with raspbien I think it's called
>>
>>54126075
I'm working. Using my phone when I should be watching old people swim in a pool.
>>
>>54130002
>>54130033
>neck strain: the game console
Leave it to a Pitard.
>>
>>54129654
>lights when you enter the room
You're going to have to buy stuff to do that and it's the same price to just get a stand alone PIR sensor and not bother using the pi
>>
Piratebox with rabbit hole GUI.
>>
Waiting on some copper wire so I can finally make some use of the I/O pins.
>>
>>54131069
that's obviously a children's table you fucking downie.
>>
File: mycroft.png (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
mycroft.png
55 KB, 400x400
>>54126075
I'm bugtesting our robot overlords.
>>
>>54126075
FM transmitter. Connect my phone to the pi via Bluetooth and play music over radio. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting the Bluetooth to work properly.

My car doesn't have aux in and the CD player is broken so hopefully this will be a decent solution.
>>
Running basic-bitch Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Made my little 32" tv a linux pc and use it to stream vidya/music, ssh into some university stuff, torrent, and some basic games. Tried RetroPi for games and it's garbage. 20-30fps is painful when you have a gaming pc.
>>
>>54126075

I got some to use with my freenas server and plex but then I figured out chromcast does it out of the box without work.

Now I have some pis I am not using and was thinking of using them as a place to develop small python stuff like customizing my own rss reader and other ideas. I would develop it on the little mobile board and deploy the finished work on jails in my freenas server.
>>
>>54133813
Try Rasplex it's brilliant, I have a horrible slow router and connection and it doesnt lag at all for 1080p movies.
>>
Is anyone using it for bitcoin mining or network related stuff?
>>
How much power RPi 3 uses?
I'm thinking of getting this
http://www.amazon.com/X-DRAGON-Charger-15000mAh-Portable-Battery/dp/B01AYXPEBW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=61eWKFyhZQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=08DQZQZS8AFAH4EJ3XXM
And use it as FM beacon.
>>
>>54131022
Depends.
I have a RPi 0 with 3 SD cards for different things.
the first is for automatic SAMBA server, the second have lakka on it, the third is honeypot.
The first required me to connect to monitor and set things up first after that the things goes automatic.
The second require monitor.
The third is purely controlled by my phone through ssh.
>>
>>54133696
>My car doesn't have aux in and the CD player is broken so hopefully this will be a decent solution.
Anon just buy this
http://www.amazon.com/Eastvita%C2%AE-3-5mm-Stereo-Transmitter-Tablet/dp/B00DEWBM1W
>>
>>54136119
I actually have one, its a steaming pile of horse shit.
>>
Raspberry Pi 1 Model B
- old Raspbian install from 2012 that has been updated but is a bit of a mess
- tucked inside a electrical box/cupboard with router, powered via router USB port
- basically just ssh and weechat

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
- Raspbian installed with raspbian-ua-netinst, it just werks
- 2 USB drives (external power supplys) acting as backup/network drive, at least the Seagate one maxes out the 100 mbps port
- ssh(fs), deluge, samba; has had motion running with USB camera for motion detection, it kind worked
>>
Already running:
Web server
Mail server (with DKIM, SPF, DMARC)
VPN server
Remote storage
Music streaming
NAS
HTPC
VoIP server
BitTorrent client
Usenet client
Tor entry node for my campus neighbours
Tor relay node for everyone else
RADIUS authentication server for my Wi-Fi
Authoritative name server for my domain (with DNSSEC, DANE, SSHFP, OPENPGPKEY)
Resolving-only name server for my devices (with DNSSEC and DNSCrypt)
System monitoring of my devices
Pro-active supervision of monitored services

Thinking about deploying NIDS/NIPS next.
>>
>>54126075
I use one to stream police dispatch audio. Not exciting but so much better than using an old laptop or desktop.

I use another to poll my weather station and upload data to the weather service and weather underground. It generates graphs and pages but I hardly look at them.

Both tasks take almost no processing power. I'd like to set up a VPN server but the shared USB/Ethernet thing limits the connection to ten megs
>>
>>54130450
I have two that have been running for two years 24/7 aside from power outages. The thumb drive on one died a few months ago. The SD card that the machine boots off was fine.
>>
>>54126107
I dont think any raspberry pi or variants will get smooth downloading. My banana pi cant use its ethernet. And usb hub with at a consistent rate. It ussualy jackhammers my torrent speeds.
>>
working on a pi strapped to a dslr to upload pictures to dropbox as you're taking them.
>>
>tfw bought a bunch of junk from one of those kits and it has no documentation
>>
currently trying to figure out why the motor circuit i made for a small wifi controlled car doesn't work
>>
>>54138148
Is that all on a single pi??
>>
>>54139295
Apart from the HTPC, yes, it's all running on an RPi 3. The HTPC is a separate RPi 2.
>>
What's the best pi style PC?

Looking to create a mini shitposting machine that's the size of a 40% keyboard
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.