[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 1460567086114.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1460567086114.webm
3 MB, 854x480
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
First for cute traps.
>>
File: daemon_stop.jpg (96 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
daemon_stop.jpg
96 KB, 600x776
Hey guys

I just created a booru site using booru.org and I am having some issues with the parent/child post relationships.

For some reason child posts are not showing up when searched for, or even when browsing regularly. Is there a way to fix this?

I checked the support forum on booru.org and there doesn't appear to be any threads on the matter.

Also related. I had to delete a large number of images from my booru and instead of actually removing the posts it just sort of hid them. Now there is 13 pages of blank posts and I can't get rid of them. There is absolutely nothing about this issue on the forums or anywhrre else on this issue.

Also also related there doesn't seem to be a way to view all of the members in a group, you can only edit group permissions and add or remove members from a group.
>>
The past few weeks i've noticed all the torrents I download have a super fucking slow dl speed, even when there's like 80+ seeders.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?
>>
>>54099826
use a different client
>>
File: fuckme.png (54 KB, 1245x183) Image search: [Google]
fuckme.png
54 KB, 1245x183
Why this shit always rape my cpu overnight?
>>
>>54099902
le botnet
>>
GPU fan is rattling annoyingly at low speeds, took the gpu out, blew some air to remove dust, still rattles.

Any tips? Is it worth it to seek an aftermarket cooler?

It's a MSI 290x gaming btw
>>
is solaris not linux?
>>
>>54099966
it's Unix
>>
I need to run a USB2 cable 30-ft (9.14m). The limitation of USB2 seems to be about 3m. So I'm stuck either using hubs or active cables? Anyone have experience doing long USB2 runs? I can't get the computer closer to the hardware.

>>54099826
Try another client, as someone earlier mentioned. I have good experience with Deluge on OSX, and rtorrent on un*x. If that doesn't fix it, try port forwarding.

>>54099966
No, it's a un*x flavor.
>>
>>54099966
Who the fuck even uses solaris?
>>
File: 1454812765494.jpg (37 KB, 734x734) Image search: [Google]
1454812765494.jpg
37 KB, 734x734
>>54099987

> using an asterisk in place of anything ever

I seriously hope this is bait
>>
Is the hard drive cache/buffer freed when the computer is powered off? If not, how can it be freed?
>>
>>54099892
>>54099987
well iif possible i'd rather fix what's causing the slowdown in my current one (qbittorrent 3.1.5) rather then switching without knowing for sure if it's unfixable.
>>
Stupid question here, is a dvi connection really need on a monitor in the year 2016?
Having the HDMI source to an dvi adapter is fine for the future right?
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (58 KB, 795x286) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
58 KB, 795x286
What are the chances of something like this actually being good?

Currently I'm using the audio out on a 7 year old prebuilt pc.
>>
>>54100038
qbit is a horrible client, it stalls, it's slow. why not just try another client and see if that fixes it? it takes minutes to test?
>>
>>54100082
Good in terms of 'it works' or good in terms of 'wow this sounds great!' ?

>>54100081
I prefer to connect using DVI since HDMI ends are so shitty and tend to bent and aren't able to lock.
>>
>>54100100
Good in terms of being better that the onboard audio out on my current pc, which isn't great.
>>
>>54100124
It might have a bit less noise since the signal stays digital until it is outside of the computer. But that's only if you have a noise problem in the first place (power supply noise, etc). With the onboard audio there is a bigger chance of interference after it is in the analog domain.
>>
File: image.jpg (226 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226 KB, 720x1280
What are the better RAM brands for DDR4?
>>
>>54100150
Noise only REALLY seems to be a problem when the amp is turned up past a certain limit, which is about 63/100. After that point the distortion is absolutely unbearable. But it's not that often I listen to things at ridiculous volumes so it's not my biggest concern.

My main concern is quality. I mean I know spending ten bucks on an external card won't result in the highest quality, I'm just wondering if it'll be better than shitty onboard audio. Sure spending $100 on a DAC would certainly be a much better solution, but that's out of the question.
>>
>>54099611
Does anybody know if it's possible with php to redirect every url to index.php, but with the given url as parameters?
For example:
>>54099611

should redirect to
https://boards.4chan.org/index.php?board=g&thread=54099611

Or do you know how 4chan handles this?
>>
>>54100370
whoops the first thing should be the full url of this thread
>>
>>54100370
Ah i think i found the solution: It's probably possible with the .htaccess and RewriteRules
>>
Would upgrading from a Dual core (i3 2100) to a quad core (i5/ 6 Core AMD) reduce my High Encoding errors i get while using OBS?

I already have good settings that work for me, occasionally i get high encoding, like in high movement scenes or things like that
>>
>>54100293
Sounds like it should be. What seems to be happening is when you turn your volume up on the computer to 63+% is the pre-amplifier is clipping causing it to sound like shit. I think the external one should fix that.
>>
How do I into dual-booting without EFI?
>>
>>54099902
>Windows 7
lel
>>
does imageblock addon for firefox stop cacheing images?
>>
Anyone use a standing desk? Any recommendations?
>>
>>54100521
I should clarify, when the system volume is at 100 and the volume on the amp is turned past 63/100 it becomes too noisy to listen to. It's happening because it's a low quality signal.
>>
>>54099611
>having x220 i5 2520m with 2gb RAM 1333 mhz
>I want to upgrade, and I have cheap option to buy 2x8gb at 1600 mhz

Will it work out good or the x220 I have is not capable of managing it ?
>>
File: 600px-DuckDuckGo_Logo.svg.png (39 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
600px-DuckDuckGo_Logo.svg.png
39 KB, 600x480
When will DuckDuckGo be usable?
By now, it's still very inferior to Google Search: it hides official sites sometimes, and doesn't deals good with news and images...
>>
>>54100628
>dunno mate, just Duck-duck-go-it ;^)

This will answer your question

[spoiler]never[/spoiler]
>>
>>54100594
It's likely happening because the voltage from the computers sound card is too hot/powerful for the input on your receiver (preamp+amplifier). Your amplifier has a range of input signal it can accept. If you go above that, it clips the amplifier.

You are connecting a headphone output into a receiver, so results always vary as sometimes headphone jacks are either too hot or not hot enough.

The elegant way to do computer audio is to have a DAC and use the pre-outs from that.
>>
>>54100628
I doubt there will ever be a better search engine than Google, unless it goes full censorship
>>
>>54100628
Never

>>54100249
The same as ddr3. Gskill crucial muskin

>>54100081
Dvi is ok. They still put it on some gpus and displays. Dual link cables can do 2560 x 1600 so they will continue to be relevant, at least for a little while longer.

>>54099914
> msi

Should have gotten a vapor x famallama
>>
Is there any reason to keep my 560Ti on my build if I don't play video games anymore?

Any other software that could take advantage of it over the IGP (Intel 2000).

I don't do any video editing.
>>
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Obsessive-compulsive-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Is there a decent free video downloader that will allow me to get the video at the bottom of this page? I've tried a few but they can't seem to find the video url.
>>
>>54100648
>>54100749
Why never?

>>54100745
I had not asked when it will become better than Google, just when will it be usable...
>>
i have a 2009 model laptop which i still use, i want to install some linux distro inside it but everytime i try to do it, i face a problem with my graphic hard which is ati mobility radeon hd 4300. i read on some forums i need to use ubuntu 12.04 because it has latest supported x server version. is there any way to use some latest distros which can be used with my laptop? i dont want to use open source drivers because it doesnt support some steam games. i cant remember the reason. i just play dota 2 thats all.
>>
>>54100814
Google is so big that they are practically impossible to compete with. Look at youtube. There is a reason there is no real viable alternative, it's because it simply isn't profitable. At best they probably only break even every quarter with youtube.

Google can offer services that are so good that they are impossible for any other company to offer without going bankrupt in the process
>>
File: 1460726889055.jpg (69 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
1460726889055.jpg
69 KB, 500x669
If you have used your phone number to verify your GMail account, can others find your phone number if they know your GMail email?
>>
for 4chan web,
is there a way to easily tell who replies to what specific post?

for example, if i quote the following:
>>54100628
>>54100370
^ These posts have multiple replies, and when there are 10+ it's hard to keep track who replied unless you look at the post number.

For mobile, ie Clover, when you click the replies, at least the poster's name is a darkened purple.
>>
I just bricked my router (ASUS RT-N12C1) infinite bootlooping and the LEDs are all on and dimmed.

What's a good router for like, under 60USD
Best spot would be something like 40usd
>>
>>54100749
So getting a HDMI and Dp monitor is fine
>>
>>54100945
This.

To beat Google you need to find a 'new' way to search rather than try to do what they do better. A completely new approach that people prefer.

Then Google will probably just buy it.. kek.
>>
>>54101117
Displayport will be more and more relevant in the coming years, but its find to use dvi if you dont plan on going above 2560x1600 or using any of the features that come with DP
>>
>>54100945
Appears that DuckDuckGo isn't profitable at all... It's for profit?
>>
>>54100965
I use AppchanX, and it shows a floating card with the mentioned post when I hover with the mouse, and shows a dotted underline on the post number. Why don't you give it a try?
>>
>>54100021
write caches must be flushed before powerdown so that all the changes are _actually_ preserved on disk. this is a major issue for higher end RAID cards that have lots of dedicated buffer; many of them have their own batteries so they can quick get the write cache written after a power loss.

I don't know how caches for reading works, but there's no reason to preserve that.
>>
After 3 years of wasting life online I decided pick up my fat ass and learn some shit cause I'm bored. I made a list of goals. http://pastebin.com/GzZHTxqX
Please rate, suggest how to improve the list and recommend me some sources.
>>
>>54101184
Cool, ty
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 749x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 749x377
Thoughts on this mobo?

What RAM would best suit it? I'm looking at 16 no need for 32 unless the prices aren't too far off.
>>
>>54101211
you should get a job and lose some weight
>>
What's a good chat service that it is anonyomus and encrypted?
>>
>>54101437
facebook
>>
>>54101406
Some of these would help me get job. I'd like to make games.
>>
How much smaller should Vring compared to vcore?

If I run 3.9 on 1v ( should I go lower? )
What would the proper vring be?
0.975 or lower?
>>
How difficult is it to get a non-shit bf as a neet? Should I just focus on gitting gud until I'm back in school?
>>
>>54101502
You slice your throat degenerate homosex - eternal damnation awaits you.
>>
I have a large .pdf file from which I need to extract the text from a single column. How should I go about this?
>>
>>54101570
find an online tool that does pdf to doc.
Open the .doc in office - if you don't have office make an free onedrive account - put the document there and edit it, extract w/e
>>
Will a gtx 960 4gb bottleneck with a i5 3550?
>>
>>54101622
What about converting it to a plaint .txt file and then filter out what I need with Notepad++? I have LibreOffice installed but I fucking hate it
>>
>>54100959
Anyone?
>>
>>54100959
Amazing cat
>>
sometimes when I attempt to disable and re-enable my "wireless network connection" in windows, it gets seemingly permanently disabled until restart. restarting explorer doesn't fix it. this often happens when running windows network diagnostics. manually attempting to enable it just gives you a frozen "Enabling..." screen, seemingly indefinitely.

is there any way out of the above without restarting windows or otherwise logging out? my pc cannot currently acceds the internet right now, due to thr above. restarting my pc will be a great compromise for me right now, so any help will be appreciated.

if it helps any, even after unplugging my tablet from the computer right now, my tablet still shows up under "portable devices" under "computer", bur I cannot access its data, even if I plug it back in... it shows nothing, as if I hadn't unlocked it... perhaps this is linked... I did try running ccleaner with explorer closed, by thr way, still csnnot enable my internet. even eindiws network diagnosyics fail...
>>
>>54101820
Sometimes it's because of shitty drivers crashing. I know for the Surface Pro 2, sometimes the wireless will just shit out and never turn back on until you reboot. When I ran Linux, it ended up crashing the system because I compiled it directly into the kernel. The error for that one was something about a null pointer de-reference, which was probably cause by shitty programming by Marvell.
>>
>>54101862

:(

thank for for the insight. Cheers. but is there really way to force a restart for it?
>>
>>54101890
I have no idea. I only know how to do Linux stuff, and when I tried to force it back on it panicked. When it happens with Windows it just locks on disabled. You might be able to get it to fire up again by dicking around in the device manager.
>>
How do they even estimate server hardware requirements? Program requirements x number of workstations using it?
I can understand webserves, you estimate traffic and site size. What about something like active directory with user accounts on server?

It seems so straightforward in desktop world in comparison.
>>
>>54101927

well my laptop is a Thinkpad W500 and I tried to disable "Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 Agn" (the bottommost of the four options there) under "Network Adapters" in device manager just now, but it froze for a solid mimute. I forced the windows closed and am now just tempted to just restart my PC and lose everything I have open and can't save as usual...
>>
Should I consider OCing my q9550 and get a GTX 970 or just go with a 6600k/4690k and GTX 960?
>>
In Notepad++, what key combination represents "any character" in the Search function? I have a file with tons of data, and I need to highlight every string of characters that follows the pattern xx.xxx.xx. What would be the x's in this case? I'm reading through the Notepad++ documentation but nothing seems to work, apparently I'm fucking retarded
>>
I just bought a second-hand budget gaming PC. When it arrives, how can I check that all the parts are running smoothly and if I need to replace anything? The seller told me he'd house it in a 'heat sink' case but that I should consider replacing the stock cooling systems first, but I don't even know what that means, really.
>>
With end to end encryption of message services, doesn't a private key have to reside on the phone to be able to decrypt the message? Why can't the private key be obtained from that phone?
>>
>>54102258
For your ref:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68
CPU: Core i5
RAM: Corsair 16gb DDR3
GFX: EVGA GTX750
HDD: SSD 256gb
PSU: 600w Cooler Master
>>
>>54102273
Who says it can't be obtained?
>>
>>54102335

If it can then what's the point of encryption when an attacker could just download a messaging app and obtain the key
>>
Building a new PC

Should I fall for the skylake meme and get a 6600 or get a haswell i5 4690k devil's canyon?

I'm starting from scratch so I want performance but also I really want newer futureproof tech. So thats why I was considering the 170 chipset mobo and LGA1151 cpu.
>>
>>54102378
There is no such thing as futureproof.
Ask yourself what you need it for, build it with the best performance/price at the moment in mind, upgrade in a year or two.
>>
File: image.png (319 KB, 659x976) Image search: [Google]
image.png
319 KB, 659x976
Will this RAM work on this mobo >>54101284

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gtzb
>>
Is using this BASH script:
https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader
Against Dropbox's Terms of Service?
On their ToS page they state:
>You agree not to misuse the Dropbox services ... you must not even try to do any of the following in connection with the Services:
>access, search, or create accounts for the Services by any means other than our publicly supported interfaces (for example, "scraping" or creating accounts in bulk)
Would using this script violate that?
>>
why debian installation is 12gb iso file
>>
>There is no such thing as futureproof.

I know. Especially in conventional terms but usually when the newer architecture comes out there usually improvements that makes similar range components perform better. I was wondering if that was the case with skylake and the new cpus. I feel like I can get more mileage out of the K processor and also I don't like the BCLK Overclocking that you can do on the locked skylake cards.

I feel like you do have a point. I'll see what they both perform like since the cost around the same even considering the mobo and memory.
>>
File: libre-office4.png (159 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
libre-office4.png
159 KB, 640x360
When is this thing going to be 100% compatible with MS Office?

I'm tired of being unable to edit excel graphs with it.
>>
Where can I find my product key if I'm on Windows 10 from Windows 7?
>>
File: justt.jpg (115 KB, 759x369) Image search: [Google]
justt.jpg
115 KB, 759x369
How do I put Manjaro KDE on a USB to be read as a disk?

I was able to with Ubuntu but the programs I've tried (Universal USB Installer & some other one very similar) don't recognize it, so they do a generic key.

Then when I try to choose one this screen will popup. At first I was trying Architect Arch, but now I've resigned to Manjaro but I still get the same problem
>>
>>54102498
Because they're packaging all useless programs that you may never need.
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Debian from 1.4GB to 400MB
>>
how can i stop windows (8.1) from slowing down to an unusable crawl when it runs out of memory
i don't like having to hit the reboot button every time it happens, i'd rather have it crash or something
i have 4gb of ram and my pagefile is set to 4gb as well (is that too much?)
>>
>>54102499
meant to reply to >>54102403
>>
>>54102403
>There is no such thing as futureproof.
this right fucking here

>build am2+ rig for muh bulldozer experience
>4 pcie slots so i can just buy a new 5870 when i need moar power
>for the 12th time we tottaly promise its going to be am2+
>bulldozer drops in with am3 :^)
>litearlly a month after bulldozer came out and i'm already mad lightning destroyed the mobo even behind a badass surge protector

and now i just buy a new laptop every 4 years to meet my needs.

dealing with a desktop is pointless if you're always mobile.
>>
Is it possible to run osx through hyper-V? Only seen it run using virtual box, or VM fusion
>>
File: katz9.jpg (71 KB, 656x640) Image search: [Google]
katz9.jpg
71 KB, 656x640
How can I copy all marked TEXT (not lines) in Notepad++? According to Google, you can't
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 600x338
>>54102437
Bump.
>>
Is it possible to get a bunch of 5v batteries and make a powerbank with an output of 48V to supple a preamp?
>>
File: context_menu_clutter.png (80 KB, 729x449) Image search: [Google]
context_menu_clutter.png
80 KB, 729x449
I have too many items in my context menu on Win8, and want to remove some. Is there a quality program that will let me do this easily or is digging in the registry really the best option?
>>
>>54102687
Alternatively, how can I delete everything I'm NOT looking for in the search and replace function? This is my search
..\....\....-.

and I wish to get rid of everything that doesn't match such parameters. By the way. . represents any character, and \. represents an actual dot.
>>
Does Windows have logs of when a particular program was launched?
is there a way of seeing when a steam game was last launched or when steam itself was launched on my PC?
>>
>>54103009
event viewer
>>
>>54103009
Not native one.
There's process explorer for example but it logs only once it's started.
How about venturing to saves folder and see when were they last modified?
>>
Will you be my bf?
>>
>>54103038
>>54103044
thanks!
I was also considering checking the version of steam itself in the 'uninstall a program" window
>>
>>54100765
The igpu will rely on your system memory for graphical tasks. Which is likely much slower than what your dedicated card has. Also have to consider how much ram you have.
>>
What all can I upgrade on a T42? Can you upgrade the gpu?
>>
File: I'm a dum dum.png (26 KB, 224x70) Image search: [Google]
I'm a dum dum.png
26 KB, 224x70
well, I think this question of mine belongs in this thread because I'm feeling fucking stupid right now.

my problem is pic related and I have tried following multiple guides online in how to remove it but it keeps reappearing.
I have uninstalled the update (KB971033) the guides mentioned.
I have REARM'd my system multiple times until I could not do it anymore and everytime it dissapeared for a week or 3.
Now I have ran out of REARM uses and messed in the registry so I can use the REARM command again, but it doesn't work anymore and the message just stays on the bottom right of my screen.

>are updates disabled?
yes, I have disabled updates

can anyone help me find a solution here?
>>
What game should I play?
>>
My Windows key no longer works. I cannot use Winkey + R to open Run and I have no idea why.

My laptop also does not ask me for a password even though all the boxes that say "require password on wake up" are checked.

I'm on W7 Home Premium.
>>
How do you get 4chanX image expansion to work on the april fools CSS?
>>
why dont we have modular software yet?
for example a modular OS
>>
File: sadvita.jpg (27 KB, 237x228) Image search: [Google]
sadvita.jpg
27 KB, 237x228
>>54099731
Please help

I can't find anything on these issues anywhere
>>
File: moomin and snufkin.jpg (26 KB, 400x370) Image search: [Google]
moomin and snufkin.jpg
26 KB, 400x370
would this hard drive be good enough to play world of warcraft? if not, what would be an acceptable option around that price range?

http://www . newegg. ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

thanks guys
>>
>>54102437
Yes.
>>
Python:

how do I find the index of a certain JSON object in a list of JSON objects?

I have this:

ALL = [
{
'id': 1,
'size': 43,
'brand': 'Nike',
'model': 'Air Max'
},
{
'id': 2,
'size': 45,
'brand': 'Adidas',
'model': 'Top Kek'
}
]

Now say I want to find the index in that list of the element with 'id' = 2. How should I do it? I've tried

task = [task for task in ALL if task['id'] == 2]
index = ALL.index(task)

But it doesn't work cause 'task' has the JSON object fields in a different order. Any ideas?
>>
>>54103314
I didnt look.at the hard drive because on mobile but it would be tough to bottleneck with any HDD made in the past 5 years any significant.amount. That should be fine for WoW, maybe just longer load times if it is a shit drive
>>
How much of a difference would 2GB of VRAM do in a 2GB vs 4GB graphics card, on a 16/32GB RAM board, in performance terms?
>>
>>54103336
So what you should have is a list of dictionaries.

Follow this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4391697/find-the-index-of-a-dict-within-a-list-by-matching-the-dicts-value
>>
>>54103314
1. Find out how big WoW client is
2. Is it more than 1TB?
3. ???
4. Profit

I know this is the SQT but cmon bro...
>>
I'm trying to get my Wacom Bamboo drivers installed on my Win 7 computer. However, it just makes a lot of files called setup.exe (over 50 at one point). I had to initiate a fake logoff to close them all, as they wouldn't be force shutdown and they were eating my memory very quickly. I've tried using the disk bundled with it and getting the drivers from the Wacom website. How can I install the drivers?
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 566x306) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 566x306
>>54103227
hedgewars
>>
>>54103387
Thanks for the info! Just using
del TODOS[TODOS.index(task[0])]

instead of
index = ALL.index(task)

did the trick, but I'll look into that
>>
Why do Noctua fan look like shit? Why are they all fucking ugly light and dark brown.
>>
How do I get a gf
>>
What is a good cheap amd cpu that pairs well with a gtx 750ti?
>>
>>54103502
give girls money until one accepts
>>
>>54103002
>>54102687
>>54102126
nvm figured it out lol thx
[THREAD CLOSED]
>>
Does anyone know anything about Firepower PSU's? They bought OCZ's power supply assets some time ago. Mainly looking at the 500w CXS model.
>>
Alright, I'm racking my brain.

I have a Dell 13" i7000 2-in-1 laptop that I purchased an SSD for. I have cloned the OS 3 times with different software but it just never seems to be able to boot off of the new drive.

All the past clones I have done with Thinkpads and other desktops, it was just a clone and swap deal.

WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??

Does Windows 8.1 have some security bullshit that prevents a clone from happening?
>>
>>54103100
8GB DDR3.

The most intensive thing I'm going to do is watching 1080p videos online.
>>
>>54100945
kek you kids forgot that google itself used to compete against youtube with googlevideo and it was shit

so they just went and bought youtube rather than fail in a category
>>
>>54103570
you're probably only cloning the data partition and not the boot
>>
I want a cross platform (windows + linux) service/daemon.
I've heard Redis could work for something like this. But how does Redis work under the hood? Does it just create cron jobs on linux and services on windows?

basically just looking for a way to schedule stuff but not have to write separate code for cron/Win services
>>
>>54103380
It really depends on the display resolution and particular game. (I assume you mean in games)
VRAM usage is influenced most by texture quality and resolution. Newer games require 4GB in order to use the highest quality textures. A 2GB card won't stop you from playing any game, at least not yet, but you'll need to lower the texture quality and / or resolution.
>>
>>54103227
Minetest or Terasology
>>
Does anyone know of a BLACK theme(not grey background with neon green highlights) gtk3 3.20 theme?
>>
Is water cooling easy to install for someone who's never done it?
>>
>>54103912
apt-get install water-cooling
>>
I want to update my build from 5 years ago.
Should I get a gtx970 in the next few weeks or wait till the pascal cards come out and see if the prices drop?
>>
>>54103945
>wait for A card
>A card comes out
>Might as well wait for C card its coming out soon
>>
File: perfect_mecha.jpg (245 KB, 900x1275) Image search: [Google]
perfect_mecha.jpg
245 KB, 900x1275
What's the best english 64-bit Win 7 Pro (or better) torrent out there? Is there one that is "generally believed by the community" to not be full of spyware and other crap?

If it already has all the service packs and important updates (so that I don't have to risk getting non-genuine'd by updating), that would be even better.

I'd actually buy it if they were still selling it.
>>
>>54103970
literally me i just said fuck it I've been waiting forever to upgrade and any upgrade from a 7xxx series AMD card would be worth it
>>
>>54104032
I never got the mentality of "building for upgrades""
If you want to build it,build it now,dont want 5 years to get a part
>>
>>54104059
computers for poorfags like me are pretty expensive so making sure you get the absolute bang for your buck is worth it but looking too far down the line with that mentality will get nothing done
>>
>>54103524
A-anyone?
>>
>>54104024
I got my way to go W7 iso from here

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7126-The-Official-Windows-7-Repository
>>
File: 34345345.gif (2 MB, 360x264) Image search: [Google]
34345345.gif
2 MB, 360x264
>>54099731
>>54100014
>>54100249
>>54102437
>>54102759
>>54103310
>>54103413
mmmmmmm they pics looks goods
>>
like a week ago my computer started to boot up, shut down after 3 seconds, then boot up again just fine.

I thought it was the PSU (it was really old) so I replaced it but the same thing kept happening. I took out the GPU and the problem was gone.

the thing is the GPU works fine when it finally boots up so I don't know.

I hadn't changed anything hardware-wise it just started happening out of nowhere.

it's the GPU dying right?
>>
>>54104505
it could also be motherboard-related
like maybe the pci-e port is somehow fucked up
i don't really know
>>
How intensive is 1080p playback on firefox?

I was trying to watch some porn on my old computer and the CPU was around 90% usage, with the video lagging.

It's an Athlon x2 4600+ with 4GB DDR2 and a 5670.
>>
>>54102537
>>
>>54104669
Give it more swap
>>
What game should I play if I want to murder children?
>>
>>54104771
>/g/ - games
>>
I need to start using the computer at work to do some simple web dev for the company, the current computer is old and slow running Win7. If I put Ubuntu on an external HDD will that run better and will it be better suited to some simple front end web dev (Brackets and GIMP).

Also is there anything better than Ubuntu that is better suited to running on old PCs, but can run Heroku and an open source image editor (It doesn't HAVE to be as heavy duty as GIMP, I can do some image editing when I get back home on my PC).
>>
>>54099611
pop3 or imap? If I don't care about multi-device and I value privacy?
>>
Serious question

What drugs (pills) can I take to pay more attention in class and online courses?

I have very little attention span and get distracted EASILY.
>>
>>54104824
modafinil
>>
>>54099906
I kek everytime
>>
>>54104789
Ask your boss to buy you a desktop,or a laptop if you do work at home.They can throw it on as a tax deduction and company expense.
Build a decent $500 rig
>>
>>54104824
Do to your doc
Tell them you cant focus and it is hurting your grades in class,and at home because you cant focus
Goom ritalin
>>
>>54104789
>the current computer is old and slow running Win7
>Brackets and GIMP
Do you work from someone's home or are you in a real office because there's no way you should have trouble right now with GIMP and front-end business if you're using the current typical office PC (i5, 2-4gb RAM)

>>54104935 might be a good option if your box is honest-to-goodness ancient.
>>
>>54100959
no
>>
For overclocking a core i5 6600k, will pretty much any z170 chipset motherboard do the job or is there certain ones I should get, looking g at the Asus z170-p since it has the ports I want and is cheap but should I go more expensive for overclocking?
>>
Is SHAREit good way to transfer stuff from old pc to new, or should I just plug in both old and new HDDs?
>>
Is "artificial intelligence" just a buzzword?

Do normies even know what it really is?

Do we?
>>
>>54105096
Throw it in and copy it over.Then figure out what you want to store on your old hdd
>>
is there an alternative to youtube center, the grease monkey script, alternative that doesn't fuck up the subscriptions page layout
>>
>>54104824
If you're not already doing something else

Try modafinil, piracatam, or adderall
You can start easymode and take L-theanine and caffeine, that's what I do.

These are called nootropics, research them
>>
I have an iPhone running 7.1.2
I want to use it as an Internet device only for traveling.

Is of possible to download apps without having an apple account and using the App Store?
On android I can download the APK. How can I do that on iOS?

What is jail breaking like on iOS?
>>
File: Sound! Euphonism 001-30 (1).jpg (402 KB, 1000x996) Image search: [Google]
Sound! Euphonism 001-30 (1).jpg
402 KB, 1000x996
I know shit about batteries.
I want to buy an extra battery for the Note 4.
Who do I go with? There are plenty of third party batteries out there on Amazon.
>>
>>54105128
Normies just think 'skynet'
Really its just any human made automated decision making construct
>>
>>54105317
Are if-statements AI then?
>>
>>54105335
On a very basic level you could make that argument
>>
I use Cyberlink PowerDVD to watch blu rays and somehow it stops the print screen function working in windows while it's open. Is there a tool I can use that will save a screenshot with 1 click I can use while blu rays are full screen?
>>
File: best grill.jpg (22 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
best grill.jpg
22 KB, 300x250
I am a student studying computer networking who has no prior experience in using a Linux distro. I am currently taking a class to learn Linux, but there's only so much I can take away from a class that meets 4 hours a week. So far, we've learned how to move around in the command prompt (is that the right term? I'm still learning), and we've installed CentOS 7 a couple of times.

That being said, I want a more hands on experience with Linux. Besides CentOS, where would a good place be to start? I've heard that Ubuntu and Mint are good to learn with. I'm intrigued by Arch and Gentoo (memes!) but Arch especially looks pretty time consuming, especially for a beginner like myself.

Thanks!
>>
>>54105555
quads confirms Chiho is in fact best grill
>>
>>54105555
Learn iptables.That is literally 90% of your job as an admin/engineer. Look in to hardening the TCP stack aswell
You would want a LTS distro,which centos is.
CentOS is the mainstay of server OS. You can run others but for a starter,you'd have to do less config to get up to production
>>
Current setup is:
>FX 8350 at stock settings with stock HSF
>Gtx 960 4gb also stock clocks
>8gb ram
>600w EVGA psu
Getting about 50fps in Witcher 3 on High preset with post-processing off. Will overclocking the CPU with a cheap fan like the 212 evo give better frame-rates? Or is it almost entirely on the GPU? Is overclocking a 960 even worth it?
>>
>>54105555
>want to learn Linux
I don't know man, install gentoo?
>>
I have one monitor display using my GPU, and decided I want to go for a second again. The last time I had dual monitors was before I upgraded.
I only have a HDMI cable for the second monitor, though. However, my GPU has displayport and HDMI 2.0.
Could I use my motherboard to display the second monitor? It's not set up for display purposes at the moment.
Or would it be better to get a HDMI to displayport cable and use that?
>>
File: [yelling].jpg (330 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
[yelling].jpg
330 KB, 720x720
I've been trying to install linux on my hard drives(plural) for days and no matter what distro or drive I try it just won't install. It always fails to mount the ext4 filesystem and I have no idea why.
>>
Not sure if any of you guys are Node kiddies, but what would be a good salary/wage to ask for with an entry-level Node job?
>>
>>54105663
Buy another sata cable?
damn son
>>
File: kevin-o-leary-mad.jpg (8 KB, 295x271) Image search: [Google]
kevin-o-leary-mad.jpg
8 KB, 295x271
How can I make my website appear in search engines like Google and so on?
>>
>>54106040
seo
>>
Why does nobody make GPUs and power supplies where it's easy to swap out the fans for another of the same standard size? It seems like every other component lets you mount whatever fans you want but these two components remain special snowflakes.
>>
>>54106140
>psu
Its made the way its made for a reason,plus its easy to kill it or kill your self
>gpu
Form factor
Propritary hardware.
>>
>>54106188
>Its made the way its made for a reason,plus its easy to kill it
But the same could be said about a CPU (put on a cooler that isn't powerful enough and you'll burn it)
>or kill your self
Can't the fan just mount on the other side of the enclosure so that you never have to go poking around inside?
>>
>>54106257
>cpu
If you push past 1.6v,which isnt stock settings,then yes perhaps it would(more inlikely it wouldnt even post,let alone break 100C with a stock cooler)
Most bios will shut down around the 90/100C mark.

>gpu
Most people dont want to be throwing out more hot air on their cpu and NB
>>
File: nyu.png (21 KB, 471x402) Image search: [Google]
nyu.png
21 KB, 471x402
I'm a computer illiterate mongoloid, is this setup fine?
>>
So I know moving active torrents used to work in qBittorrent but right now I have a 90% finished torrent that I manually moved from one disk to another, but if I chose Set Location and navigate to the new folder it just creates a new folder inside of that and starts the download over from 0% instead of continuing where it left of.

What am I doing wrong here?
>>
>>54106521
You're nesting it back back one folder
>>
Hay girls and guys little help please. So I got this new, second hand router, I don't know any of the pass words can I find the ip with out using the Ethernet ports as they don't work??
>>
>>54106585
kek
(you)
>>
>>54106521
start downloading into an empty folder. it'll start downloading from 0%. then move the old file and overwrite existing. restart torrent client.
>>
>>54106607
helpful thanks
>>
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a an ADATA XPG SX930 SSD?

Newegg has the 240GB model on sale and I want an SSD because I don't trust my HDDs anymore.
>>
Sup /g/. I'm in a pinch. My R9 270 died on me today. I use my PC for my 3D modelling job, so I need to buy a replacement tomorrow morning. I came up with 3 options.

>buy something cheap like 750ti or 950 so I can keep doing my job at roughly similar performance and buy Polaris/Pascal later

>buy 970 which is 2.5 times more expensive than 950 and stick with it for the next year or two

I probably wouldn't be able to sell the 970 easily since Im be buying it for my "business" and have never sold company assets before. This is Europoor btw so pricing may differ and I'm limited to stores nearby.
>>
>>54106585
you bought a used router with broken ethernet and no passwords? how are you supposed to factory reset it? this is just insane..
>>
>>54106585
You can try a factory reset. If that doesn't work, you are probably boned.
>>
>>54106701
I know a got it to pull a part for spairs but I decided to try and access it. If I can then I can use and or sell it on I bored and wanted to try
>>
>>54106692
Yes.
Get a samsung 850 evo
$90 newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372
>>
>>54106692
Seems ok, but I've never tried that brand. I usually stick to Samsung drives.
>>
>>54106697
How do you feel about your current performance? If it is fine, then go for the 970. If you need something more powerful, then limp along on a 950 until polaris is out.
>>
>>54106697
If the company is paying for it,get a 980ti.,That wil l last you a good 5 years
>>
>>54106493
Yes, very fine. How much did you pay for that prebuilt? 1500$?
>>
>>54106768

I'm Canadian. Thats $110 bucks on our Newegg vs $90 for the ADATA. Is the $20 worth the extra $20?
>>
>>54106846

Thanks anon. 270 was working fine for me and I wouldn't be upgrading now if not for it dying on me. 970 seems like a decent upgrade and I'm not sure if polaris/pascal will live up to the hype so I might go for it.

>>54106870

Unfortunately I'm a freelancer so i have to buy it with my own cash. Luckily I can get the VAT refunded so I can buy it at US prices (normally 970 costs around 400 USD here)
>>
>>54106952
Samsung yes
Its the top ssd hands down.
Amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_2/190-1316758-1955616?ie=UTF8&qid=1461015913&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+850+evo
Here it is in canadia bucks(came out to 96 usd)
>>
>>54106980

OK, but why should I get that over a Crucial BX200 thats almost $40 less?
>>
>>54107011
Do you want your shit to die in a year?
Would you get a rolls royce or a pinto.They both do the same thing.
>>
>>54107061

So drives that aren't Samsung will die in a year?
>>
>>54107080
Hard to say.

100% of the parts in a Samsung drive are made by Samsung. Samsung is known for having high quality SSD components.

Most other manufactures don't have their own fabs so they buy flash and controllers from other suppliers.
>>
If I buy a WiFi repeater and use my phone's WiFi right beside it, will the signal be stronger than if it was just my phone? The logic being that the repeater's card would be stronger and thus receive the original AP's signal better, and then pass that to the phone.
Also, will the SSID appear duplicated? Is it possible for the repeater's SSID to be different from the router's or even hidden?
>>
>>54106899
Certainly not that much, 900 euros at most. Not exactly sure, it was the last expensive thing I got my father to buy me before I moved out.
>>
>>54107133

That sounds good, but the Samsung is still out of my price range. What about Sandisk? Their Z400s is in range for me.
>>
Hi /g/, /diy/ here, after many attempts and around 4 hours I havent managed to configure my wifi dongle on my raspberry pi. At first it detected all the networks and I introduced the password, but it didn't connect despite the password being correct, then I tried modifying the wpa_supplicant file and then the network/interfaces file with no results.
The drivers should be ok as the dongle can scan and display info about the networks (pic related after running iwlist scan)
Can someone help me out, I've been stuck with this all day, I even formatted the card and used a new image. I'm running raspbian, also, this dongle did work a year ago with my home network.
Sorry for being the annoying raspberry fag, but I have no options left but to ask for help.
>>
File: Casca 4.png (835 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Casca 4.png
835 KB, 1920x1080
My ISP is a cunt, and I can't afford a VPN to torrent with. How common is it for ISP's to look for XDCC piracy?
>>
I don't claim to know anything about hacking or anything, but why isn't there something like Hackintosh for having iOS on Android devices? They are both ARM devices.
I mean, couldn't someone just take apart an iPhone and make an ISO image of the drive and then boot that up on an Android phone?
>>
>>54107346
Their hardware is pretty different if I'm not mistaken.
>>
File: 1455214431584.jpg (89 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1455214431584.jpg
89 KB, 700x525
Hey /g/, I have an old tower (circa 2007ish) that I want to put a large 3TB hard drive into and make it a network attached storage for my media and backups on my laptop and PC.

is this a daunting task? Can someone who is somewhat tech savvy accomplish this? I've never taken a CS course in school but I can read instructions well and have experience tinkering with Windows, OS X and Ubuntu over the years.

Can I just use the operating system on the tower for my NAS (windows 7)? or do I need a server OS?
I know just getting an external HD would probably be easier, but I want to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
>>
>>54107232
Not that anon but I'd suggest the Corsair force LE series. They kinda came out of nowhere with a silent launch but it looks great and its around 70USD for 240gb.
>>
>>54107302
What is the model of your dongle? Did you try wicd?
>>
>>54107316
ISPs don't really care about piracy, they sell bandwidth not content
They do care about getting DMCA notices which are sent by the infringed party
What you need to worry about is how likely it is for the infringed party to get your IP and send a DMCA notice
>>
>>54107431
They also care when you download more then 5TB in a month
>>
>>54107431
Good point, I suppose that answers my question.
PIRACY HO!
>>
>>54107316
Torrent over Tor. It works well.
>>
>>54107445
That's not inherently related to piracy though
>>
>>54107524
It was,all of it was torrent trafic
>>
>>54107538
Still not inherently piracy
>>
Recommend a distro for me /g/
Also uplay won't download shit, what do?
>>
>>54107564
uninstall
>>
>>54107550
When you're using the bittorrent protocol,which they can detect,and its this amount of data,that pushes it beyond any boundry that isnt piracy.
No game has 5tb of data(updates,expansions)
Thats 50 games(at 100gb a peice) to download
>>
>>54099902
Run procmon. Capture at least 3 hours worth of processing. Post results here.
>>
>>54100082
C-Media is ching-chong for sounds like shit.
>>
>>54107564
that's silly, how can I recommend Linux? It's not like there's a distro that has everything:
- respect for free software
- not a derivate of another distro
- community based
- just works
- bleeding edge technology
- business-level stability

oh wait, it does, it's Fedora. Seriously, if you haven't tried it yet, use it.
>>
I'm at a dorm that blocks peer to peer connections. How do I get past this? Using mint btw.

I tried the first part of this https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1965 (with the new password) but it fails to connect after successfully initializing.

pls help
>>
>>54099902
Did you buy the processer to not use it?
Damn kids,shit happens when you're not useing your computer,specially on windows
>>
>>54107402
I don't really know, I just know it's compatible. I hacent tried it, mostly because I haven't got any way to connect it to the internet, I would have to resolder the ethernet connector.
>>
Is it true what they say about the lacking amount of programmers nowadays? Do they actually meant the lack of GOOD programmers?
>>
I plugged my WD external drive (formatted ext4) into my router to see if it would recognize and mount it. It didn't. I plugged it back into my computer and now it isn't displaying it as a drive. lsblk doesn't show it and lsusb gives me this
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f2:b221 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd integrated camera
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1058:1078 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

How the hell am I supposed to fix this? There wasn't anything terribly important, so I don't really mind reformatitng it but how do I even do that if it's not recognized as a block device?
>>
Is a wifi amplifier worth it ?

>pic related, 8W for 50$
>>
>>54108018
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1058:1078 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
>>
>>54108055
Isn't that much power illegal?
>>
>>54108092
Yes.

But >>54108055 is fake chinese crap.
>>
Just got speccy and see that my laptop's cpu runs above 90 degrees C when gaming.
What should I do?
>>
>>54108103
Continue gaming
>>
>>54108103
Nothing. That's nominal for a mobile CPU under load.
>>
>>54108103
How old is your laptop?
>>
File: 1399319829261.jpg (54 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
1399319829261.jpg
54 KB, 840x560
I have a CRT and I think the Flyback Transformer is broken.

Anyone know if this is easy to fix and/or if there is a place to purchase replacement transformers?
>>
>>54108101
>fake chinese crap
So, how can I know the real amplitude power of this device ? Any way to check it ?
>>
>>54108118
>>54108122
Okay. What's the max I should watch out for?
>>54108125
I bought it used 2 years ago.
>>
>>54108152
100-120C
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.